Smart watch for a kid

I've got a kid entering junior high that will now be riding the bus and possibly staying after school for activities. I think that I want to get her a smart watch so we can talk, text and so I can track her location. I really don't want her to have internet access. Any recommendations? I'm on AT&T, if that matters.

Just went through this. 

1. Visit Apple store, acquire Apple Watch with cellular and GPS
2. Visit AT&T store, add a line, take them up on the free iPhone 6 offer
3. On your phone, create kid's iCloud account under your existing iCloud account
4. Setup new phone using newly created kid's iCloud account
5. Pair watch and new phone
6. Put new phone on charger and leave it there
7. Give watch to kid
8. ???
9. Profit

This is enough to give my kid talk and text capability, but no internet. If they really need a phone on a particular adventure, you have it available for them.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:04 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Just get them an iPhone.

Or even better, grab a refurbished Pixel 1 on Amazon for $120. 

For curiosity's sake, why a watch?  I assume because you want to keep her locked down on the technology end of things?

Assuming it needs to be a watch, can the watch run off wifi if it's not enabled on the phone?  The schools around here have guest wifi that's easy enough for the kids to get on.  Not sure about schools in your neck of the woods.  Not sure how much fun the internet is on a 2" screen even if it is possible to run it on wifi.