Ronald Reagan... My God

vin2basketball

2 hours ago, F250 said:

A 60 year old white guy making racist comments in 1971 doesn't seem very surprising. Shit, it was probably more uncommon for whites to be offended by that kind of language in '71.

Exactly.  Not saying it's OK, but was pretty common in '71.  

25 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

If your party isn't defeated they will seize your property and throw you in a camp as a suspected Muslim.  You will never be white to them.

Having my property seized without being able to get FMV before being thrown into a camp would definitely be a game changer. If that’s on the GOP platform I will join you in becoming a Democrat.

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It wasn't a remark made by two guys watching a game on TV. It's an exchange between the governor of a huge state and the president.

I was around in '71. I did hear this kind of shit from people my parents' age. It was behind closed doors and everybody knew it was wrong. An odd thing about the time is the number of suburban dads who had posters of Archie Bunker over their wet bars. They kind of missed the point, but the point about racism was established.

Nobody was saying such a thing casually or without knowing what they were doing. Ten years earlier, this kind of speech was a matter of habit but not by the 70s. Any such public utterance would have destroyed politicians from almost anywhere in the country.

But Reagan made all the rubes feel good about themselves and this shining city on a hill. He was all about making America great again. A new morning in America.

It all starts off so innocently, so positively. Why would anybody object?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Why is it that Republicans decry moral relativism applied to the present, but consistently use it to excuse abhorrent behavior in the past?   

Do they decry it?  They still use it to excuse abhorrent behavior regularly.  Remember when Abu Ghraib happened and Republicans shouted down criticism of our troops' behavior because Al Qaeda treated prisoners worse?  As if the standard for the USA should be "at least we are better than Al Qaeda."

Or like now, when Ilhan Omar is shouted down for criticizing our shitty President's policies by people saying that she shouldn't complain because the USA is better than Somalia.

Call me crazy, but the USA should strive to be infinitely better than Somalia, not simply Somalia +1.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Everybody, even Presidents, have a right to privacy.

I went through a pretty thorough background check for a security clearance in the Army.  I guess I should have told them I had a right to privacy.   Of course, they would have told me to fuck off and either done it anyways, or reassigned me or booted me out.

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Do they decry it?  They still use it to excuse abhorrent behavior regularly.  Remember when Abu Ghraib happened and Republicans shouted down criticism of our troops' behavior because Al Qaeda treated prisoners worse?  As if the standard for the USA should be "at least we are better than Al Qaeda."

Or like now, when Ilhan Omar is shouted down for criticizing our shitty President's policies by people saying that she shouldn't complain because the USA is better than Somalia.

Call me crazy, but the USA should strive to be infinitely better than Somalia, not simply Somalia +1.

Dude, we're barely holding onto that Somalia+1 score, don't get cocky.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude, we're barely holding onto that Somalia+1 score, don't get cocky.

In March 2013, the federal government under former Minister of Health Maryam Qaasim launched the Health Sector Strategic Plans (HSSPs) for each of Somalia's constituent zones. The new national health system aims to provide universal basic healthcare to all citizens by 2016. While the government's institutional capacity is developing, UN agencies would in the interim through public-private partnerships administer immunization among other associated health programs. The HSSPs are valued at $350 USD million in total, with between 70%-75% earmarked for health services. Once finalized, the new national healthcare system is expected to ameliorate human capital in the health sector, as well as improve funding for health programs and overall health infrastructure.[33]

In May 2014, the Federal Government launched the Essential Package of Health Services (EPHS) within the framework of the Health Sector Strategic Plans.[34] The EPHS was originally designed in 2008 by the Somali Ministry of Health, with the goal of establishing standards for national health services vis-a-vis governmental and private healthcare providers, as well as for partnered UN agencies and NGOs[35] 

It aims to provide a holistic spectrum of free health services to all citizens, including in rural areas. With a focus on strengthening reproductive and emergency obstetric care services for women and children, the EPHS's core programmes are to eliminate communicable illness; ameliorate reproductive, neonatal, child and maternal health; improve health control and surveillance, including water and sanitation promotion; supply first-aid and treatment to the terminally ill or wounded; and to treat common illnesses, HIV and other STDs, and tuberculosis. The Somali health authorities are slated to implement the Essential Package of Health Services in nine regions, with UNICEF, UNFPA and WHO representatives providing additional support. The initiative will continue through to the end of 2016, and is expected to ensure that health facilities operate with better equipment, more healthcare workers, and for longer shifts. It is also centered on growing institutional capacity through training medical personnel, health sector reform, and policy development facilitation.[34]

51 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Carter lost Iran to the mullahs and humiliated us by allowing them to keep our embassy personnel hostage for over 444 days instead of invading Iran like any other President would have. Another term and he would have allowed another calamity to happen, most likely Soviet Union aggression or leaving Israel out to dry.

six years after we finally got the fuck out of vietnam, we were going to invade another country halfway around the world to prop up another puppet dictator?  that's totally reasonable.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Racist words were common on TV in the 70's.  Archie Bunker, for example.

In the 80's George Jefferson said honky, cracker, etc. on just about every episode.  Oh the humanity!!  Where's the outrage!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, landman said:

In the 80's George Jefferson said honky, cracker, etc. on just about every episode.  Oh the humanity!!  Where's the outrage!!

White racial slurs are allowed because they are hilarious.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

But they shouldn't.  We all have a choice to run for President or not.  If you want to be President, it should be required that you be an open book.  The people should get to know every thing about you.  If you have something to hide, you shouldn't get to hide it and be President.

Should they have the right to take a shit in private?

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

a dude one time said something racist half a century ago in the middle of the civil rights era.  it ended up on tape.  on things i evaluate reagan's role in our country, i'd place something he said to one person 9 years before he was president pretty far behind probably everything else that appears on his wikipedia page right now.

He was the Governor of California, not just "a dude".  You can debate whether it was a big deal or not, but let's not act like he was some unimportant schmuck with no expectation of decorum. 

6 minutes ago, landman said:

Those shows were supposed to shine a light on racist attitudes and present them as ignorant and absurd. Jefferson hated white people. His hatred was balanced by his wife's tolerance.

The language and attitudes were not celebrated. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If the President of the United States and the Governor of California can't call black people monkeys then what is even the point of having a First Amendment? 

Cannibal is the preferred nomenclature.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

It may have been common in 71.  Hell, given the way 40% of the country is acting, it's probably common in 2019.  

But people in 1971 knew it was wrong.  If I had said that as a child in the 70s, I would have been grounded for life. 

3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Why is it that Republicans decry moral relativism applied to the present, but consistently use it to excuse abhorrent behavior in the past?   

Pretty funny how people line up to bash one party or the other and fail to look in the mirror and see the abject failures of the people they claim to support.   

-Housing/welfare/aid the poor policies enacted by democrats that do nothing but keep the poor, well poor, and disenfranchised as well as destroying minority communities but still act as though they’re the ‘Champion for the Minority and the poor’

-Republicans talking about fiscal conservatism and spending like drunken sailors, because well, they’re politicians and politicians love to spend other people’s money without recourse 

-latent racism from both parties, but only counts if it’s not my race

what the fuck do y’all expect?   Politicians are jackfucks   The whole lot of them 

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Pretty funny how people line up to bash one party or the other and fail to look in the mirror and see the abject failures of the people they claim to support.   

-Housing/welfare/aid the poor policies enacted by democrats that do nothing but keep the poor, well poor, and disenfranchised as well as destroying minority communities but still act as though they’re the ‘Champion for the Minority and the poor’

-Republicans talking about fiscal conservatism and spending like drunken sailors, because well, they’re politicians and politicians love to spend other people’s money without recourse 

-latent racism from both parties, but only counts if it’s not my race

what the fuck do y’all expect?   Politicians are jackfucks   The whole lot of them 

Tell us about wealth creation and redlining.

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Tell us about wealth creation and redlining.

Tell us about incentivizing having more children in the welfare system and dis-incentivizing a couple with children being married because they’ll lose benefits.  It’s destroyed many a community.  

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Tell us about incentivizing having more children in the welfare system and dis-incentivizing a couple with children being married because they’ll lose benefits.  It’s destroyed many a community.  

Yeah, I wonder which political ideology blocked families with husbands and fathers from receiving aid. I wonder how that went down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tuco said:

Have you heard his press secretary joking about AIDS as the epidemic was ramping up, killing Americans. Not a private conversation; it was in multiple press conferences, teasing reporters on why they would be concerned about a disease predominantly killing gay men.

As bad as Trump is and as bad as Trumpkins are, we do need to step back, review recent history, and acknowledge progress.

Trump is a step back from Reagan, and he was a nightmare.

Reagan could at least hang his hat on the INF Treaty and the Simpson–Mazzoli Act. Trump has absolutely no skins on the wall, unless that "wall" is the imaginary Trump Wall that lies solely between the ears of emotionally arrested degenerates like Icono.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

six years after we finally got the fuck out of vietnam, we were going to invade another country halfway around the world to prop up another puppet dictator?  that's totally reasonable.

Not only that, Ike and his CIA were responsible for setting off that whole chain of events in motion. It's easy to play Make Believe by pretending that Iran's "issues" started in a vacuum in 1979, but that revolution was 26 years in the making, was set off by a Republican administration, exacerbated by 2 Democrats and 2 more Republicans before Carter even took the oath of office. It's beyond dishonest to lay the blame of Iran opting for a theocracy on the shoulders of Jimmy Carter. 

Icono can make any dishonest excuse he fancies, but he cannot escape this one fact: the only reason any of us even remotely know of the name Ruhollah Mūsavi Khomeini is because a legitimately democratically elected government was overthrown by the US and the UK and replaced by a vicious, brutal tyrant.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 2

1984 - even Hawaii went for Reagan over Mondale who only won his home MN.  Devastation.  I was in HS at the time in Htown, the blood was thick with Reagan Bush. As bad as you think he was, he did liberate Grenada, gave Amnesty to a bunch of Messcans and fixed inflation/unemployment by not interfering with the Federal Reserve.  Much better than Trump. 

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Yep - definitely not ok but that was 1971.  Some day people who said faggot in the 90's or used gay smears will be roasted over the coals too.  But growing up in that era I don't think all those people were bad...saying that was wrong, sure.  Guilty here, I used all those slurs through high school I'd guess.  Glad I grew up, but I hear guys still throw that around when referring to men they know are homosexual - many of these same dudes would be appalled to hear monkey when discussing black people.  The times - they change. 

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And you are both shitty people.

Really?  I'm assuming he was a kid in 1971 Alabama.  He probably heard it a 100x a day and said it once.  His parents properly spanked his ass.  But you're saying is is a shitty person, today?  WTF?

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep - definitely not ok but that was 1971.  Some day people who said faggot in the 90's or used gay smears will be roasted over the coals too.  But growing up in that era I don't think all those people were bad...saying that was wrong, sure.  Guilty here, I used all those slurs through high school I'd guess.  Glad I grew up, but I hear guys still throw that around when referring to men they know are homosexual - many of these same dudes would be appalled to hear monkey when discussing black people.  The times - they change. 

Michael Scott: No, that is the fun of this place. I call everybody faggy. Why would anyone find that offensive?

4 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Wrong as usual. From a source you’d trust. HuffPost 

A report by the Iranian Studies Group at MIT reveals that per capita average income for Iranian-Americans is 50% higher than that of the rest of the nation. Iranian-Americans living in homes valued at over $1 Million exceeds the national average by ten times

What US metro area has the largest Iranian population, and how much does the average home cost in that area in comparison with the rest of the US?

It is widely believed that most Iranian-Americans in the United States are clustered in the large cities of California, namely Greater Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego, Sacramento, and Fresno. According to extrapolated U.S. Census data and other independent surveys done by Iranian-Americans themselves in 2009, there were an estimated one million Iranian-Americans living in the U.S.,[62] with the largest concentration—about 300,000 people—living in the greater Los Angeles area

Iranian-Americans don't seem to engage in American Politics; the fact that only 10 percent of them voted in the 2004 election, according to surveys in large American cities, is evidence of this. The group that published this information urged Iranian-Americans to come together and vote, in order to make a difference in how the United States foreign policy operates with regards to Iran.[116]

An August 2008 Zogby International poll, commissioned by the Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans, found that approximately one-half of Iranian Americans identified themselves as registered Democrats, in contrast to one in eight as Republicans and one in four as independents (2008).[102]

48 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Really?  I'm assuming he was a kid in 1971 Alabama.  He probably heard it a 100x a day and said it once.  His parents properly spanked his ass.  But you're saying is is a shitty person, today?  WTF?

I think you missed the point of his post. 

I’ll catch some shit for this, but as despicable as he was, he was perfect for that brief period where the Cold War ramps up and then wound down and the Soviet Union fell soon after.    Doesn’t excuse his personal views, but how do things play out if Carter wins a second term, and say George H. W.or Bob Dole win in ‘84?

A lot less debt and stupid foreign policy. Saying Ronnie won the cold war is akin to saying the slowguy on the relay won the race. Or crediting the current economic situation to Trump.