I'm 0 for 2 in hooking up these GD sound bars... Halp!

Setup in the Fireplace room:

I currently have my tv hooked up to a DirectTV box via HDMI.  The sound bar is connected to the DirectTV box via optical.

The TV itself doesn't seem to have any type of audio connection.  There's 2HDMI's, an antenna, USB, and headphone connections which is why I currently have the optical out from the sound bar to the DirectTV box.  The sound bar only has outputs of optical, aux in, RCA in.  I don't see any other way to hook this thing up.  I'm not getting any sound from the sound bar.  And, yes, I've changed the source to optical on the sound bar.  

Setup in the TV room:

So, I'm halfway here on this one.  I have optical connected to the DirectTV box and HDMI connected to my tv using the "ARC" source.  It works when I'm on DirectTV, but doesn't when I'm on anything else - Hulu, Amazon, Netflix.  

Any suggestions?

Have you tried running an aux cable from the soundbar into the headphone jack on the TV? Do you need your TV speakers to play simultaneously? If so, you will probably need optical to HDMI or USB converter to run the optical from the soundbar into your TV. I'm surprised your soundbar doesn't have an HDMI out. 

Regardless, you are going to want your soundbar to be connected to your TVs - not the direct TV box. Hence why you are only getting audio when using DirecTV in your TV room. 

Also it's strange that your husband asked you to do this - seems like he would have a better idea.

Edited by ztejas
sorry, had to take a shot
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I currently have my tv hooked up to a DirectTV box via HDMI.  The sound bar is connected to the DirectTV box via optical.

The TV itself doesn't seem to have any type of audio connection.  There's 2HDMI's, an antenna, USB, and headphone connections which is why I currently have the optical out from the sound bar to the DirectTV box.  The sound bar only has outputs of optical, aux in, RCA in.  I don't see any other way to hook this thing up.  I'm not getting any sound from the sound bar.  And, yes, I've changed the source to optical on the sound bar.  

Setup in the TV room:

So, I'm halfway here on this one.  I have optical connected to the DirectTV box and HDMI connected to my tv using the "ARC" source.  It works when I'm on DirectTV, but doesn't when I'm on anything else - Hulu, Amazon, Netflix.  

Any suggestions?

If I"m understanding correctly, your outputting from the DTV box to the soundbar?  If that's the case, the only audio you're gong to get on the soundbar is DTV. Do you have an audio out on the tv to go from there to the soundbar?

TV OUT has 1 or 2 (L + R) aux ports?

Soundbar IN has 1 or 2 (L + R) aux ports?

if TV OUT is single and soundbar IN is 2 double, then use this cable

aux2rca__74135.1456966241.1280.1280.jpg?

if it's single aux to single aux, then just use a standard aux cable.

edit: basically the TV headphone jack is an OUT aux port.

edit 2: if your TV has a true headphone jack, then simple connect the aux connector through this adapter.

direct_sound_headphones_gnsoa2925_non_sc

Edited by crash_davis

30 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

A: Try changing the audio output on the DIRECT TV box to digital/optical, not just the sound bar.  Plug Direct TV HDMI into ARC HDMI port on back of TV when available. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

A: Try changing the audio output on the DIRECT TV box to digital/optical, not just the sound bar.  Make sure sound bar is in HDMI port on TV marked ARC (if available).

that's assuming that the DTV box has pass through audio capabilities.  not entirely sure that's possible.  that would take some outside the box thinking by DTV.

32 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Setup in the TV room:

Any suggestions?

When you say it "works" on Direct TV, you mean the box when watching, and I'm assuming the Hulu Amazon and Netflix are apps on a smart TV? 

The Direct TV box is not a pass through audio channel for your sound bar.  If your TV has a " TV audio out", run that directly to the sound bar instead of the Direct TV box.  That way the sound bar is playing anything that would be normally on the TV speakers if not you are SOL.

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

that's assuming that the DTV box has pass through audio capabilities.  not entirely sure that's possible.  that would take some outside the box thinking by DTV.

I was assuming he only would have DTV Box audio in this situation, no pass though. No smart tv audio

Edited by ChickenSandwich

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

there is.  it has a headphone jack.

Then Knox should follow your directions.  Although I still contend that any smart TV these days should/would have an optical audio out.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

A: Try changing the audio output on the DIRECT TV box to digital/optical, not just the sound bar.  Plug Direct TV HDMI into ARC HDMI port on back of TV when available. 

I am pretty sure that is right. But what is weird is the TV does not have an optical audio out? 

28 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Problem can also be solved with a HDMI pass through audio capable sound bar (fairly standard these days).  The one HDMI goes from TV to sound bar (ARC) and everything else plugs in directly to sound bar (Playstation, Roku, Direct TV etc).

Yep. I use an HDMI for audio between my soundbar and computer. It treats it as an audio device but also annoyingly treats it as a monitor, so I have to duplicate display on one of my "three" displays. 

21 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Setup in the TV room:

Any suggestions?

Run the optical cable from the soundbar to the TV.  That way anything that plays on the TV will go through the soundbar. Not just the cable box

41 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Run the optical cable from the soundbar to the TV.  That way anything that plays on the TV will go through the soundbar. Not just the cable box

This, but if the sound bar has an HDMI input (and supports ARC), you should just nix the optical cable altogether and run HDMI from the ARC-compatible input on your TV to the soundbar.  Use the TV setup menus to change the audio settings to an external system.  

Might also help to disclose model numbers of the TV and sound bar.

43 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

The only thing on that is to make sure the TV passes surround sound. I had one tv that even though it had a optical out did not pass the 5.1 sound from HDMI to that so I had to go from the box right to the sound bar (which went to the wireless surround speakers). 

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

have you tried turning your tv off and on again?

I love this.  Reminds me of an IT person with my law firm years ago.  If she picked up the helpline and you complained that you couldn't print a document she always--always asked if the printer was turned on.  If you had any other problem with your computer she would ask if you had rebooted the computer.  Every damn time. 

17 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I love this.  Reminds me of an IT person with my law firm years ago.  If she picked up the helpline and you complained that you couldn't print a document she always--always asked if the printer was turned on.  If you had any other problem with your computer she would ask if you had rebooted the computer.  Every damn time. 

you would be surprised by the amount of dumb fucks that those 2 questions fix issues for. 

• Like 1

Screwing with it right now.  I believe I'll need an adaptor (from Crash_Davis' response) for TV #1.  I don't see an ARC option, and the only sound out must be via the headphone.

TV #2 is perplexing.  I had assumed I was getting sound straight from the DirecTV box; however, upon second look, it's connected directly to the TV via optical. 

I had been playing with different HDMI cords and inputs because the stupid-assed DirectTV box was giving me an error msg anytime I went to the 4k channel.  Additionally, I was dropping the picture several times a day with the only fix being to unplug the HDMI from the back of the box and plug it back in.   Coincidentally, when I moved the input back to HDMI3 so the soundbar would work, I am no longer having these issues.  I'm still not sure why the soundbar only works w/ DirectTV when the sound is coming directly from the TV.  

On 7/31/2019 at 3:16 PM, Pogo said:

Then Knox should follow your directions.  Although I still contend that any smart TV these days should/would have an optical audio out.

I bought a TV in 2008 that had a fucking optical out and still use it.

On 7/31/2019 at 4:35 PM, hornbri said:

I am pretty sure that is right. But what is weird is the TV does not have an optical audio out? 

see above

On 8/1/2019 at 12:18 PM, Gravy Train said:

This, but if the sound bar has an HDMI input (and supports ARC), you should just nix the optical cable altogether and run HDMI from the ARC-compatible input on your TV to the soundbar.  Use the TV setup menus to change the audio settings to an external system.  

Might also help to disclose model numbers of the TV and sound bar.

He said in the first fucking post he didn't have a gotdamn HDMI on his gotdamn soundbar.  Somebody get your gotdamn husband on here.

7 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

He said in the first fucking post he didn't have a gotdamn HDMI on his gotdamn soundbar.  Somebody get your gotdamn husband on here.

Well then ARC has nothing to fucking do with it.  Stop trying to source-switch through the soundbar, use optical, set the TV to external audio, enjoy life.

Also post model numbers first.  Is that shit fixed yet?

Obviously many of you don’t know or don’t remember the travails of Knox and his brother Jameslaw. Most likely the sound bar is still sitting on the ground somewhere with parts and manuals lying nearby. It most likely won’t be done anytime soon, unless Knox goes out of town and a neighbor comes over to hook it up for him while he is gone.

• 4 months later...

Speaking of Sound Bars, what's a halfassed somewhat OK price point for any brand?

Buddy got a 65" UHD TV but the sound on it sucks.

He's not connected to CATV or satellite - mostly for watching movies (Blu Ray).

Search function sucks; only came up with this thread & a zillion "sound" & "bar" hits.

In my defense, the fireplace issue arose because the sound bar was actually broken.  I had my "husband", i.e. engineer friend, take a look. It'd power up, but wouldn't produce sound.  The TV room issue sorted itself out with a different HDMI cable.  So, not regarded; inexperienced.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 11:02 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Speaking of Sound Bars, what's a halfassed somewhat OK price point for any brand?

Buddy got a 65" UHD TV but the sound on it sucks.

He's not connected to CATV or satellite - mostly for watching movies (Blu Ray).

Search function sucks; only came up with this thread & a zillion "sound" & "bar" hits.

The Costco had a pretty good sounding yamaha for $145 that you can get on AMAZON for $100