Drunk Delta Driver Disembarked in Disgrace

RPM

A Delta pilot was removed from a fully boarded plane and arrested on suspicion of being intoxicated

A Delta pilot was taken off a fully boarded plane on Tuesday morning at the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport and arrested on suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol, airport spokesman Patrick Hogan told CNN.

The pilot, 37-year-old Gabriel Lyle Schroeder from Rosemount, Minnesota, was arrested a little after 11 a.m. local time after an investigation was conducted by airport police, Hogan said.
Before getting on the plane, Schroeder was seen leaving a TSA screening line for crew members when he noticed there was additional screening being conducted, the spokesman said.

"The individual left the line, which drew suspicion," Hogan said. Schroeder later went back into the screening line and boarded the plane.
Authorities found a container of alcohol in Schroeder's possession once he was taken into custody. Hogan declined to provide additional details to CNN about what kind of alcohol was confiscated.
There are no formal charges against Schroeder at this time and any formal complaint is pending as investigators await toxicology results, which may take as long as a week, Hogan told CNN. Schroeder was booked and released later on Tuesday.
When reached by phone on Tuesday evening, he declined to comment to CNN.

Delta declined to provide any details to CNN concerning the pilot's employment record, and if there were any previous disciplinary issues.
When Schroeder was arrested, the plane was fully boarded but had not yet left the gate.
The passengers who had boarded the plane, Delta Flight 1728, disembarked after Schroeder was taken off the plane, Hogan said. The flight, which was due to fly from Minneapolis to San Diego, was slightly delayed.

190731-gabriel-schroeder-al-1147_827cd22

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

well first thing that came to mind when I saw this article was of course what was the booze in question. A chardonnay or a bottle of moonshine. 

The news last night said it was a bottle of vodka and he blew over 3x the limit for pilots. 

The flyboy tried to play coy when he couldn't avoid the deployed lawboys, but the flyboy wasn't quite dry and cried a wry sigh as the boys pried the flyboy's rye supply he had nigh enjoyed and boy did the whole thing toy with the hoi polloi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would hope the limit for pilots about to operate an aircraft with 100+ people on board is 0.0.
Actually the FAA standard is surprisingly. 04, but most company standards are less than .02. Largely because the blow test can be so inaccurate. In the UK where everyone is a drunk buffoon has a standard of 0.0. Go figure.

By stepping on airport property is considered intent to perform duty and is the same as flying drunk.

All the airlines have intervention programs that will save your career, but you have to seek help sooner than this guy did.
  • Like 1

If you seek help yourself your chances of flying again are very good.  If they bust you, there's still a path back but it's a lot longer.  I once flew with a guy who had been out 7 years.  He was sober most of that time but that's how long it took to get through the system.  

I am familiar with the Lyle Prouse story. Is that route still open, or is it more of a zero-tolerance approach now...? 

Up to the company, but you're starting over with zero certificates. In other words you have to retake private pilot and every practical exam forward to Airline transport pilot.

Edit. Its Delta. Those double breasted Dudley Do Rights won't give him a second chance, but there's always Mesa.

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:
I am familiar with the Lyle Prouse story. Is that route still open, or is it more of a zero-tolerance approach now...? 

Up to the company, but you're starting over with zero certificates. In other words you have to retake private pilot and every practical exam forward to Airline transport pilot.

That's what Prouse did. At his age (I think he was 51 when he went to prison), there was supposed to be no chance he could fly again because 59 was the mandatory retirement age at that point, but he kept doing the next right thing and ended up fully reinstated including pension. Curious as to what this guy's chances are but to your point I guess that's really a case-by-case kind of thing.

14 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I don’t think airplane pilot is a very lucrative career, or is it?

Are you kidding me?  A delta Captain is making 200k dude.   If they want to fly a lot, they can make a lot more.

And the perks are great. 

Edited by Gil Bang

6 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

In your quest to be snarky you failed. Get out more.

https://www.amazon.com/Sled-Driver-Flying-Worlds-Fastest/dp/0929823087

That's one of my buddy's favorite fucking books. If you're equating every day pilots to one of the, what, 5-6 guys who flew the Blackbird to a Delta airliner pilot, well, then you might as well also be comparing a shitty jumbo jet to the SR-71 as well. I feel like military jet pilots use that slang for themselves, not necessarily applicable to commercial pilots. But I could be wrong. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

That's one of my buddy's favorite fucking books. If you're equating every day pilots to one of the, what, 5-6 guys who flew the Blackbird to a Delta airliner pilot, well, then you might as well also be comparing a shitty jumbo jet to the SR-71 as well. 

You didn't know a pilot can be called a driver. Fuck off. Your buddy thinks you're a moron too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Are you kidding me?  A delta Captain is making 200k dude.   If they want to fly a lot, they can make a lot more.

And the perks are great. 

OK then. Do 37 year old pilots make that kind of money, or is that when they have decades of experience?

32 minutes ago, XYZ said:

OK then. Do 37 year old pilots make that kind of money, or is that when they have decades of experience?

Any major airline First Officer beyond their first year in the company is making 150-200 depending on seniority.  There's probably not a Captain at any of the majors making less than 300.  The years of experience is a given, you don't get that job without it.  37 is right in the bell curve for age of an FO.  

8 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That's what Prouse did. At his age (I think he was 51 when he went to prison), there was supposed to be no chance he could fly again because 59 was the mandatory retirement age at that point, but he kept doing the next right thing and ended up fully reinstated including pension. Curious as to what this guy's chances are but to your point I guess that's really a case-by-case kind of thing.

lyle prouse is not a common man.  I don’t see many people at all handling his situation the way he did.  this guy is probably fucked. 

9 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Edit. Its Delta. Those double breasted Dudley Do Rights won't give him a second chance, but there's always Mesa.

Guaranteed left seat Mesa candidate

7 hours ago, XYZ said:

Frankly, given Delta’s large profit sharing checks and direct 401k contribution of 16%, I’d be shocked if a FO with just a few years of time on property wasn’t easily making 200k +. 

Even the most junior CA’s at places like Spirit or Frontier, airlines with the lowest contractually obligated compensation rates, are making well north of $200k, and their FO’s who’ve made it past first year pay are making $120-150k supposing they work a full schedule. 

Thats major airline compensation. Not regional. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

On 8/2/2019 at 2:51 AM, Bobby_Batronic said:

Frankly, given Delta’s large profit sharing checks and direct 401k contribution of 16%, I’d be shocked if a FO with just a few years of time on property wasn’t easily making 200k +. 

Even the most junior CA’s at places like Spirit or Frontier, airlines with the lowest contractually obligated compensation rates, are making well north of $200k, and their FO’s who’ve made it past first year pay are making $120-150k supposing they work a full schedule. 

Thats major airline compensation. Not regional. 

So what’s the downside to being a pilot? You have to spend a ton of money learning? Takes many years to start getting paid? You gotta have connections to get a job? The job is boring? It requires skills that very few people have?