Louisville Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

It's been 4 or 5 years since I went there.  Heading there with the wife for a quick weekend trip.

Should have dinner plans covered, but welcome any recommendations for food and drink.  We will be going to a couple of distilleries during the day on Saturday.  Thanks.

Holy Grale and Sergio's are both badass beer bars. Holy Grale has pretty good food too. Sergio's is a dive that's just filled wall to wall with beer coolers. Place doesn't even have a sign, look for the door with a Brazilian flag over it. Amazing beer selection at both those places.

Silver Dollar and Milkwood are two other restaurants I recommend.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bump.  Just booked a trip for early August.  I'll be there with my in-laws, which means about 6-8 adults and my son who will be 17 months then.

Has anybody done a guided distillery tour they liked?  As in pick us all up in a van, take us to a few of the best distilleries, commentary along the way, and perhaps a good meal?

On 3/2/2019 at 10:46 PM, NIUHuskies said:

Headed to Louisville at the end of this month. Not into the whole bourbon thing. As a novice, where should I go for the bourbon? What about breweries? Also, take any 'cue recommendations? Thanks.

Lived there for a while many moon ago.  Hitting the trail is always fun.  Even the generic tours aren't bad (Angels Envy a good one, I hear).  Might have changed, but most of the BBQ is very pork-centric.  Lots of places serving ribs, pulled pork sammiches, etc.  

I did also love all the horse farms in the area.  Some of the tours are supposed to be really nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Was there recently and checked out Angels Envy distillery.  Across the street from the ballpark.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it, the tasting afterwards was good, and they have a private, expensive bar that was fun.  Everyone was friendly and you get right up into the production ops.  I believe you can skip the tour and jump to the tasting if time is short.

I didn’t realize until afterwards that Angels Envy is now fully owned by Bacardi but supposedly Bacardi leaves them alone.  

You may need to book your tour well in advance.  

• 3 weeks later...

We are trying to decide where to stay.  It appears the East Market District is the most happening downtown.  The Highlands seems close and a cool area.  We are 6 adults and a 1.5 year old.  Staying in East Market means a hotel.  Highlands have a couple cool Airbnbs that would fit all of us.

Is one area much more superior than the other?  Is downtown very walkable, or are we going to be ubering anyway?

Any help here would be appreciated as we're finding it tough to just make a damn decision.

15 hours ago, Spoosner said:

We are trying to decide where to stay.  It appears the East Market District is the most happening downtown.  The Highlands seems close and a cool area.  We are 6 adults and a 1.5 year old.  Staying in East Market means a hotel.  Highlands have a couple cool Airbnbs that would fit all of us.

Is one area much more superior than the other?  Is downtown very walkable, or are we going to be ubering anyway?

Any help here would be appreciated as we're finding it tough to just make a damn decision.

I went with a bed &breakfast in old louisville.  Older house that I believe have 5-6 rooms.  Could be fun for a large group. https://www.thecolumbine.com/ 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 4:51 PM, Spoosner said:

Advantage of Highlands would be proximity to Bardstown Rd, which was my preferred social scene (was like 10 years ago and I was in young-20's, so might not be what you're looking for at all). 

I'm not even going to pretend to be informed on what's going on in downtown area aside from Jeff Ruby's being a good spot to get a steak.

• Like 1

East Market get you close to both downtown and the Highlands. Both are equi distance from the center of East Market. I did a brewery stumble back in March hitting up 6 within a mile and half walking distance in East Market.

Old Louisville has amazing houses but pretty far march to dining and nightlife.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Bump.  Headed up that way next weekend for a few days.  One day will be tours of the distilleries.  Looking for things to do and food recommendations.  From my own little research, here is what I got.  Thoughts?  Additional rec's?

To Do:

Churchill Downs

Louisville Bats game

Tour of the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory

Muhammad Ali center

Restaurants:

Biscuit Belly

Proof on Main

Jack Fry's

Decca

Doc Crow's

Sidebar