Everyday Should be Saturday is dead

texifornia

One of the most important blogs in terms of writing smart AND funny college football commentary is finished. They (and by they I mostly mean Spencer Hall) were at the forefront of both acknowledging that college football is deeply silly, but also writing intelligently about how much it speaks to what America is and wants to be.

Even if he's a Florida fan.

The new thing is apparently something called Banner Society? Ok.

college football is weird because you have schools that base their entire identities on how they (fail to) stack up to certain rivals, then choose to change conferences so as never to have to actually play that rival again

it would be like if the Colts moved to the XFL because they were tired to losing to the Patriots-- weird

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

Uh, what have I missed? Time for me to cancel that subscription?

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/the-athletic-signs-an-intriguing-partnership-with-texags.html

And shortly after that, Andy Staples published a lengthy article talking about aggy's move to the SEC, which trotted out all of the old (and erroneous) things from that sad episode. TexAgs has an agenda and isn't the slightest bit impartial. Everything will have the Liucci spin. Sad The Atlantic can't see that -- or would get in bed with them if they did.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/the-athletic-signs-an-intriguing-partnership-with-texags.html

And shortly after that, Andy Staples published a lengthy article talking about aggy's move to the SEC, which trotted out all of the old (and erroneous) things from that sad episode. TexAgs has an agenda and isn't the slightest bit impartial. Everything will have the Liucci spin. Sad The Atlantic can't see that -- or would get in bed with them if they did.

fuck yes, post the first ten names from the phone book so I can pos rep that post too. The Athletic completely sold out its stated mission of high-caliber journalism by inviting a glorified message board to give the A&M perspective on things. The biggest programs get beat writers, A&M gets an open mic night. The biggest programs get quasi-impartial writers covering them, A&M gets to do its own performance assessments (A+ AGAIN, STAY THE COURSE, THOUSAND POINTS OF LIGHT, WE'S BETTER THAN T.U.)

Fuck Stewart Mandel's little goblin face. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

fuck yes, post the first ten names from the phone book so I can pos rep that post too. The Athletic completely sold out its stated mission of high-caliber journalism by inviting a glorified message board to give the A&M perspective on things. The biggest programs get beat writers, A&M gets an open mic night. The biggest programs get quasi-impartial writers covering them, A&M gets to do its own performance assessments (A+ AGAIN, STAY THE COURSE, THOUSAND POINTS OF LIGHT, WE'S BETTER THAN T.U.)

Fuck Stewart Mandel's little goblin face. 

This is akin to The Washington Post or New York Times partnering with the Korean Central News Agency to be their North Korea bureau organization.

• Like 1

When we were getting Wide Right & Natty Lite off the ground, EDSBS was a massive influence (as was the Shag, honestly).  This is definitely a sad day.

I do think that their sense of humor and style generally appeals to a specific demographic, mostly made up of the latter half of Gen X and the earlier Millenials.  I could see where that kind of blog will eventually be a thing of the past, and why Spencer et al want to move in a different direction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When we were getting Wide Right & Natty Lite off the ground, EDSBS was a massive influence (as was the Shag, honestly).  This is definitely a sad day.

I do think that their sense of humor and style generally appeals to a specific demographic, mostly made up of the latter half of Gen X and the earlier Millenials.  I could see where that kind of blog will eventually be a thing of the past, and why Spencer et al want to move in a different direction.

The SBN sites that take a bit of that inspiration (both Iowa team blogs, Red Cup Rebellion for Ole Miss, Barking Carnival, for example) will hopefully keep some of that flag flying high, but yeah the move seems to be both meme-ier and toward more stats and seriousness. The youth seem to love those insufferable basketbloggers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The SBN sites that take a bit of that inspiration (both Iowa team blogs, Red Cup Rebellion for Ole Miss, Barking Carnival, for example) will hopefully keep some of that flag flying high, but yeah the move seems to be both meme-ier and toward more stats and seriousness. The youth seem to love those insufferable basketbloggers.

I think the young'ns running WRNL this days are a little more serious than we were, for sure.  It seems like they're doing fine with views and their social media presence and all that, so I think there's definitely a generational difference.  They still dip their toes into the comedy waters for sure, but it's a decidedly different focus.

29 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Humor that can be viewed as denigrating or insulting any other person, group or idea is verboten now.  

Problem is, that's all humor.  

I wouldn't just blame the kids. That seemed like it played a role in Spencer Hall disassociating himself from the Fulmer Cup.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Seems like the era of the independent sports website/blog is fading.  Now people flock to these weird corporate spider webs like Rivals, SBN, ESPN etc.

Hell, part of how I ended up here (well, TOS to be exact) was when Blue-Gray Sky shut down.  It was already in decline, I had migrated mostly over to EDSBS, and in one of their comment threads the UT/OU sucks MS Paint thread was brought up, and I've been here ever since. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

Hell, part of how I ended up here (well, TOS to be exact) was when Blue-Gray Sky shut down.  It was already in decline, I had migrated mostly over to EDSBS, and in one of their comment threads the UT/OU sucks MS Paint thread was brought up, and I've been here ever since. 

did you have the blogspot during the Weis era?  I liked your analysis.  I think you mentioned that these sites get started by dudes in their 20s and later take more time commitments that take precedence. 

On 8/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

Very early in its existence I thought Barking Carnival would become something like what EDSBS became.  

Both of them feel like callbacks to an earlier time to me now. 

I miss the old Barking Carnival. Joining SBN might've earned more coin, but the quality of their output began to wane and has never recovered.

16 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I miss the old Barking Carnival. Joining SBN might've earned more coin, but the quality of their output began to wane and has never recovered.

I'm not sure it's any one thing, like platform.  That's a correlation, not a causation.  I think one of the central problems is that hardly anyone except Scipio has the time to devote to it or the inclination to devote it.  And even he's gotten pulled off into a pay site and side ventures like the annual.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure it's any one thing, like platform.  That's a correlation, not a causation.  I think one of the central problems is that hardly anyone except Scipio has the time to devote to it or the inclination to devote it.  And even he's gotten pulled off into a pay site and side ventures like the annual.

I'm not intending to imply that the correlation is in any way the causation. Just stating that concurrently when they moved, the quality of their work diminished.

1 hour ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I'm not intending to imply that the correlation is in any way the causation. Just stating that concurrently when they moved, the quality of their work diminished.

I know, just had to throw in my 0.02.  Also, I think the sort of "generational" issue raised above has some validity.  When life and family pulled many of the Barkers away, younger "generations" were less likely to step into the breech.  BC seems very Gen X.  Hell, the whole longhorn intertubes is kind of a Gen X thing.  May partially explain why this is a politics site now.😬😬

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2