Homemade smoker

HornPhD

FB_IMG_1522720463010.jpg

One of my nephews is a welder and decided to build a smoker. He still needs to put on the handle and some casters. 

I don't think he's ever used a smoker. It was just something we were discussing last year.

Wish we lived in the same state, so I could help him test it out. 

Edited by HornPhD

Just now, Bearlyhangingon said:

Interesting design.  Any idea why it is oblong shaped?  Perhaps it works great...just never seen it.  Thanks for the picture.

I think he had access to some materials and just started playing around.

17 minutes ago, EE2B said:

How does he keep the lid open while he loads the meat?

He's adding a handle; however, keeping it open will require some additional design. There will probably be some trial and error involved.

19864.jpg

1016.jpg

1015.jpg

19863.jpg

19860.jpg

Spoke with my nephew a bit ago. He found the drum in a field and thought it would make a good smoker. He lives near a butcher and the two of em want to smoke a pig.

Thermometer gauges are decorative.

He's looking for horns to use as a handle.

He was able to get the temp to 225 and is working on some modifications.

Edited by HornPhD

He does good work, but you can tell it was put together by someone who doesn't have a whole lot of experience with smokers and how they function.  He'll probably be cranking out ones that would make paco proud before you know it if he keeps tinkering though.

Edited by kevwun

interdasting potato there

firebox hole looks small, happy to know the temp gauges are décor, waste of décor though, and it looks like it's going to draw all the smoke straight up without circulating...

how did it hold the heat?  getting to 225* is easy...holding it there is not.

Firebox could use some upgrades depending on the approach to the fire itself.  snake method, dgaf method, side fire, etc.

Seems like the huge cavern and multiple smoke stacks would result in difficulty maintaining temp and uneven smoke distribution, especially if the firebox is to the side. With such a large body seems you could make fire in the bottom and raise the grates, like a steel drum smoker where the smoke goes straight up and you can control the smoke fairly evenly with the four stacks.