1917. Sam Mendes makes a war movie with Benedict Cumberbatch in it.

Parliament

On 2/18/2020 at 9:31 AM, BabaYaga said:

The best thing for me about 1917 was the cinematic aspect of being filmed as one complete never ending shot.

My wife and I rarely watch movies together.  I actually had no idea that they would use this technique throughout, and within a couple of minutes I got a smile on my face, knowing it would drive her crazy.  Five minutes later she was out.  Went to watch the newest Shaft in the other room.

28 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

My wife and I rarely watch movies together.  I actually had no idea that they would use this technique throughout, and within a couple of minutes I got a smile on my face, knowing it would drive her crazy.  Five minutes later she was out.  Went to watch the newest Shaft in the other room.

Truth be told she didn't watch it so much as ride it, over and over and over again.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

As movies, they are not comparable, but the action scenes in John Wick are like this.  K.Reeves trained at Taran Tac in CA for months.  That place is legit.  The flow from long gun, to pistol, to hands, back to long gun....all with real-time mag reloads was damn impressive.  No breaks between scenes.  No cuts. 

On 8/1/2019 at 12:38 PM, Parliament said:

Saving Private Ryan had a questionable premise.  Blackhawk Down had several major changes to the actual TRUE story.  If the movie is a good movie in the spirit of the way, I'll allow it.

what was the questionable premise in SPR?

• 2 months later...

Everybody was dropping acid and going to see Cats at the time so I thought to be a real man I'd load up on LSD and go see 1917. And what I found out was it was a conventional war movie. Nothing more, nothing less. Although some bayonets were a little melty. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2020 at 11:52 AM, Drew said:

Because 1917 should have won Best Director or cinematography(did it?).  It was an amazing movie to watch and I LOVED it...but it wasn't best picture.

Roger Deakins won the best cinematography Oscar. The film also won for sound mixing and visual effects.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2020 at 2:21 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Everybody was dropping acid and going to see Cats at the time so I thought to be a real man I'd load up on LSD and go see 1917. And what I found out was it was a conventional war movie. Nothing more, nothing less. Although some bayonets were a little melty. 

Should have watched Alien

finally saw it today.  I knw it was supposed to be a cinematic masterpiece, but knew nothing else.

It took about 15 mins before I realized there were no scene changes, which was kinda cool, esp as it dawned on me during the first trench walk revealing that it was 1 scene- I immediatley thought the set had to have been fucking huge and wondered how they made it.... which also kinda shows the problem of the movie. 

It was beautifully shot and I kept wondering how they did it... rather than trying to keep track of the movie.   which is kind of a big deal, if the viewer is not invested in the story.

I agree with others that the German pilot knifing Blake that way just would not have happened.  And as a result Schoffield by himself in the night scene was kinda stupid,  It was basically a reason to have buildings on fire, at night....  so cinamatography, but nothing else. 

The script and scenes could have stayed exactly the same, except the German pilot is captured, and the "other regiment" shows up to take  German prisoner and that other regiment still deliver Blake and Schofield to the destroyed bridge... and THATS where the sniper could have taken out Blake... or  if we need to keep the burned city scene.  they are pinned down by the sniper at the bridge, and have to wait until dark to get away...  when they run into the burning city, and thats when Blake dies and Schofield has to move on. 

otherwise the they could have easily cut out the entire night scene, had Blake killed, and still have Scoffied  get the sniper and sustain a slight head wound  and wakes up when its clearly  just before dawn and he makes his way to the regiment, still needing to jump into the river. 

Cutting the night scene would have saved like 25 mins of screentime that wasnt well used (other than the basement scene which didnt make much actual sense, but was well done).

and the end was a decent end to the story. 

also, I was actually quiet happy to see a world war 1 movie that didnt show every single commanding officer to be a blithering idiot. It showed that the mid-level  officers at least cared for their men.     which I feel was the reality... 

now the senior Generals in that war.... those assholes couldnt give a shit if 100k were lost in a day.  They were so concerned with "the next big battle is going to be the last" that they couldnt understand that doing a 6 weeks pre-attack artillery bombardment did nothing other tell the Germans exactly where the next attack was going to be, and turn the ground into a crater filled field of mudholes that slowed down the attacking soldiers, so that even if they broke the trench line... they were too exhaused to exploit the opening and push deeper past the 2nd or 3rd trenchline to allow for an actual breakout. 

1. Most of scenes are in sparse wide open field, so scale of set isn't a problem

2. I tried to solve the camera issue but couldn't. But I'm sure they stitch it when panning across walls and etc

3. The night scene was needed not for cinematography but continuity, for them to accelerate a big chunk of linear time -- and night time at that -- using his passing out. 

• 1 year later...

Just now getting around to watching. About halfway through. Have loved a lot - very daring, ambitious and conceptual - it takes balls filming something like this. At the same time it presents major issues.

That said - God damn that death scene got me in a way that a film hasn't in a long time. That by itself elevates this pic for me. Completely subjective but I'll stand by it. 

• Like 1

Yeah this whole thing becomes a slog not long after the scene I mentioned. 

I guess it's fine? Like 7/10 because the opening 45 minutes was awesome? 

Ultimately lame and not reflective of WW1. Dunkirk blows it out of the water and I have a couple issues with that film. 

Alright - ending is pretty strong. I still think Dunkirk did a better job historically but this one presents a bit more emotion. 

Good film with some great parts - not overall a great film. 

Edited by ztejas

• 8 months later...
48 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Have no idea how they made this movie. The scene where he runs and falls into the river and struggles against the current is amazing. All while the sun rises

If you want some behind the scenes stuff - these are special effects nerds that show how they do the shots/transitions.  It starts around 8:30 I believe, but should play properly from that moment.

With quite a few WWI/WWII movies on this past weekend, I happened to catch this one in its entirety instead of bits and pieces. Agree that the river scene was solid. One of my favorite bits was the little conversation in the orchard just prior to the aerial dogfight and subsequent death scene of Blake. I only skimmed the thread, so if others mentioned it, I missed it.