Ricky Williams Heisman Trophy is Being Sold at Auction

LTtxfan

Just now, Lhorn said:

Couple weeks ago someone sent me a link to some auctions including this one. Some of his other awards were going for much less at the time. Anyone know what those others went for ?

You looking to pick up a Doak Walker?  I got one I can let go cheap.

• Like 1

The Heisman Trophy won by Ricky Wiliams in 1998 at Texas was sold at auction for $504,000, setting a record for college football's most recognizable award.

The winning bid for the trophy in Heritage Auctions' Fall Sports Memorabilia Collectibles offerings exceeded the previous auction record for a Heisman set when Tim Brown's 1987 trophy garnered $435,763 last December.

Ya, I would think he would be ok financially. I’m sure it’s a tough decision to sell a Heisman trophy you won.

Just putting that thing behind a bar you open would surely sell a ton of cold beer for you with a return greater than $500k per year?

Still have him up there as one the the Longhorns goats.

I understand the sentimental side of it but if someone offers you several hundred thousand dollars for a meaningless hunk of brass, and you decline, you’re a donkey.

YOURE the Heisman, the statue itself is meaningless. It just sits on most guys shelves. Selling it is a good idea from any financial standing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Is he really hurting for money that bad that he’s selling all his memorabilia?  Seems like his weed biz is doing good.  Even if he sold it a few years back, I didn’t think he was that hard up for money.  He doesn’t seem like the kind to blow thru money.

source.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

Williams’ Heisman is the last one awarded before trophy winners were required to sign an agreement forfeiting the right to sell it.

How the fuck did I not know this. That's some bullshit. It's their fucking trophy. They won it. If they want to sell it, they should be able to sell the goddamn thing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I understand the sentimental side of it but if someone offers you several hundred thousand dollars for a meaningless hunk of brass, and you decline, you’re a donkey.

YOURE the Heisman, the statue itself is meaningless. It just sits on most guys shelves. Selling it is a good idea from any financial standing.

That's what I think.  And I don't have a dog in the fight, personally (I'm not a Heisman winner).

I walk by Richard Kazmaier's Heisman Trophy three times a week over a Jadwin Gym at Princeton.  It's in a glass case in the middle of the lobby.

Photo-Nov-13--11-44-27-AM.jpg

Edited by Bullneck

8 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

"Williams’ Doak Walker Award, honoring the top running back in college football, sold for $49,200 while his Walter Camp Award as the player of the year, was purchased for $12,000."

I'm way more surprised he sold his Doak Walker Award considering he became such good friends with Doak. There has to be some sentimental value there.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

It is just a hunk of cold metal. Ricky ain’t into things like that and never has been.

Wonder when Reggie is going to sell his?

I know this was a joke (returned) but Ricky’s went for so much because he was the last winner who was allowed to sale his.  I agree that he doesn’t give a shit about these types of things which is why he got rid of it in 2014 thus someone else auctioned it off.  

• 7 months later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392689157878

this is awesome. I collect and I can tell you when you go to a signing you not only pay for the signature you pay for the inscriptions to. This is rare which makes it cool. You’d probably spend around $400-$500 for just the signature and inscriptions. Then the helmet is another $90-$120 for a replica.