Will Hurd throws in the towel

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

This is a very good development for the democrats. He was one of the few republicans who could hold onto that district. He had some kind of a Jedi mind trick going with those people out there. It should be a blue district every single time.

He did a pretty good job of walking the fine line of representing his oddly shaped district. Plus having the heavily populated northern wealthy suburbs of San Antonio helped out a lot.

27 minutes ago, F250 said:

He did a pretty good job of walking the fine line of representing his oddly shaped district. Plus having the heavily populated northern wealthy suburbs of San Antonio helped out a lot.

Is that part of San Antonio predominantly white?

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I pay very little attention to house races outside of my district.  Is he being primaried?

No, he just bailed. As previously mentioned, he was probably the only Republican capable of winning the district. The GOP wouldn't primary him. A MAGA type will not succeed in holding the district for the GOP.

He was going to be in one hell of a dog fight for his seat and probably wasn’t winning this district again. Won in 2018 by 1000ish votes. 

Looks like a very Hispanic district to me, district demo :

Ethnicity
Edited by tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He was going to be in one hell of a dog fight for his seat and probably wasn’t winning this district again. Won in 2018 by 1000ish votes. 

Y’all keep talking out your asses, district demo :

Ethnicity

It's always been a dominantly Hispanic district the challenge has always been low voter turnout for Hispanics. The suburban vote is what has carried him despite the biggest portion of his district sitting on the border.

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

It's always been a dominantly Hispanic district the challenge has always been low voter turnout for Hispanics. The suburban vote is what has carried him despite the biggest portion of his district sitting on the border.

Well Ted Lieu introduced me to Gina Ortiz today, and I gotta say, wood vote. 

42 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Looks like a very Hispanic district to me, district demo :

Ethnicity

Those demographics are precisely what makes Hurds taming of that district remarkable. 

Repubs will probably run a MAGA type here and lose. They can’t find someone who will do better than Hurd.

5 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'm holding out hope that he is going to run against Trump for the Republican nomination.

Yeah, but what will that accomplish?

He stands no chance of winning. I guess if he wants to engage some kind of moral campaign, then that may help. 

Too many so-called "honorable" people have let Trump slide. Especially evangelical christians. Fuck them. They are nothing more than modern-day Pharisees. Political christians, not religions christians. No wonder younger people think christianity is a crock of shit. They're right. It is.

9 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

That don't confront me, but fuck Will Heard if the modern-day definition of "honorable" is simply resigning/not running for re-election.

We need more spine from our leaders.

Yep.  Honorable would be growing a nutsack and pushing back against Trump's stranglehold on the GOP.  I like that he's abandoning his post to a likely Dem, but it isn't the honorable move.

7 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'm holding out hope that he is going to run against Trump for the Republican nomination.

According to the rules of aggy, wouldn't they have to throw their support behind Hurd in a situation like this? Shit, heads might explode all over College Station if this were to happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

According to the rules of aggy, wouldn't they have to throw their support behind Hurd in a situation like this? Shit, heads might explode all over College Station if this were to happen.

Shit, heads might explode.

And, shitheads might explode.

We can only hope.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

If the GOP in Texas were smart enough to be looking 3 elections down the road, they would be trying to find Hurd a state office to run for next year, even if it means going after an incumbent R, because when those state spots start flipping, they aren't going to come back to the Rs.

Edited by atomheartbevo

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the GOP in Texas were smart enough to be looking 3 elections down the road, they would be trying to find Hurd a state office to run for next year, even if it means going after an incumbent R, because when those state spots start flipping, they aren't going to come back to the Rs.

Molly and Ann are enjoying their drink of choice somewhere.

Have one for me, girls.

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I can't remember who it was from the Hispanic Caucus who had an exchange with the GOP in the House during the the 2010 map redraw, but the Hispanic delegation was furious they only got 1 of the 4 seats that Texas was awarded after the Census, instead of 2, which had been the gentleman's agreement ahead of time.  Essentially, Blake Farenthold upsetting Solomon Ortiz encouraged Joe Barton to ask for 3 GOP seats instead of 2 for the GOP and 2 for the border. The gist of the conversation was basically:

Latino rep: "You may have won today, but we won't forget this, and someday, when we run this state, we are going to repay you in kind and brutalize you in redistricting."

GOP: Lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

While it's not going to happen in 2020, that day is hurtling towards the GOP much, much faster than I think Perry and Abbott thought in 2011. And ironically, it's coming on the back of the Suburbs they felt so confident about 8 years ago.

They actually got all four seats, because Hurd has been able to hold on to his district, even though it was seen as the 1 Latino Seat.

Edited by Bateshorn

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That would not surprise me in the least.

Look--life as a member of the minority party in the House sucks.  There's absolutely no way to influence shit.  It's just a miserable, soul-draining experience.

Much better just to use the next two years to come back to Texas, survey the landscape, and beginning a campaign for lt. governor.

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Texas GOP is moving more toward the Trump Tea Party Gohmert direction and away from the Hurd direction.  The Texas GOP will be barely sustainable at some point.  Although, I could be wrong.  Nunes still has a job in California.

W's GOP had started to pull in Hispanic voters.  That has been entirely flushed away by the current GOP.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

The Texas GOP is moving more toward the Trump Tea Party Gohmert direction and away from the Hurd direction.  The Texas GOP will be barely sustainable at some point.  Although, I could be wrong.  Nunes still has a job in California.

W's GOP had started to pull in Hispanic voters.  That has been entirely flushed away by the current GOP.

I can’t believe people liked W’s GOP.

all they did was fuck up major decisions, tank the economy, raise gas prices, and start wars while putting them on a credit card because they just massively cut taxes. 

W was the worst president since Hoover.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

That has been entirely flushed away by the current GOP.

Not entirely.  I mentioned a while back I found out a hispanic female friend of mine is a trumpkin because she "agrees with his immigration policy".  I don't talk to her much anymore.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not entirely.  I mentioned a while back I found out a hispanic female friend of mine is a trumpkin because she "agrees with his immigration policy".  I don't talk to her much anymore.

Give her name and address to ICE. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ignorance and idiocy know neither racial nor ethnic boundaries.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

There are lots of stupid people in America who vote against their own self interest.

my neighbor was one of the first people to put up a “ nobama” yard sign in 2012. He wanted mitt Romney to win, the same guy who was promising massive cuts to things like disability. Yeah...... my neighbor has a vision disability. Good luck with that pal.

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I can’t believe people liked W’s GOP.

all they did was fuck up major decisions, tank the economy, raise gas prices, and start wars while putting them on a credit card because they just massively cut taxes. 

W was the worst president since Hoover.

Yeah that was an awful administration but to FondrenRoad's point there was a period of time within the Texas GOP (Gov. Bush era) when the Hispanic vote was actively pursued. Of course Post 9/11 shit went down hill.

23 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

North and northwestern part of SA, yes. 

There’s a plurality of whites, but they aren’t the majority. 

I stand corrected, they’re the minority. Fun fact, loosely relating to Hurd’s district: SA Reagan & SA Johnson are both only about 40% white nowadays, which still makes them the whitest public high schools in San Antonio. Not counting Alamo Heights since it’s not really in SA. 

Edited by Helobious

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I didn’t know if it was “majority” white.  But it is the “whiter” side of town, I believe. It’s been 10 years since I lived in SA, but it was then anyhow. 

I can’t imagine what that feels like. 

I grew up in a dfw suburb that was probably 95% white. I can’t imagine what it would feel like to be a minority.

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

I can’t imagine what that feels like. 

I grew up in a dfw suburb that was probably 95% white. I can’t imagine what it would feel like to be a minority.

I don’t know either. I’ve always lived in places that were mostly hispanic. I didn’t learn I was considered a “minority” until high school. I still think it’s a stupid term. 

Also, today I learned that Will Hurd is part black. I always assumed he was mixed white & hispanic since he was from SA.