Great Western Movies

ernest_t_bass

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Just finished Bone Tomahawk.  Jesus Christ that’s an intense movie. 

Agreed. I had never even heard of it until a colleague sent me a link to see it on YouTube for free about a month ago. It was awesome. And it had one of the most gruesome scenes ever

• Like 1

I won't mention any that have already been named in other threads -- some great, great movies in the earlier posts.

If you're looking for an "under the radar" Western, check out Bad Company -- an underappreciated revisionist Western from the early 1970's that starred a young Jeff Bridges and Barry Brown (RIP), who worked great together.  It's slower than most Westerns and there isn't a ton of gunplay, but that's a lot more realistic than the "shoot 'em up" variety where nearly every shot by the "good guy" finds its target.  David Huddleston (of Blazing Saddles and The Big Lebowski fame) does a terrific job in a supporting role.

Some other good ones that I don't believe have been mentioned:  Ride With the Devil; The Stalking Moon; The Grey Fox; Geronimo; Ulzana's Raid; The Shootist; Tell Them Willie Boy is Here.

Red River is probably my favorite western of all time. Searchers and Big Jake are easily 2a and 2b. Then it's Clint Eastwood brilliance  for a while. Round that out with War Wagon, Hondo, Train Robbers, Fort Apache, Butch Cassidy, and Young Guns 1&2 and you're there.

On 4/5/2018 at 8:22 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Speaking of risky, at least for Fonda, my favorite was already listed. 

source.gif

giphy.gif

One of the best bad guys ever. He made that movie. I was totally floored by that when I first watched it. Couldn't believe Fonda could be a bad guy. Often wondered if Eastwood was offered the harmonica roll.

Edit: Also Claudia tits made it good too.

19 hours ago, ckhorn said:

One of the best bad guys ever. He made that movie. I was totally floored by that when I first watched it. Couldn't believe Fonda could be a bad guy. Often wondered if Eastwood was offered the harmonica roll.

Edit: Also Claudia tits made it good too.

Claudia Cardinale was amazing.

Wished Fonda had done a lot more bad-guy westerns.

As for Eastwood, that was never the plan.  Once Upon a Time in the West was a very special project, and everybody was carefully cast (and Jason Robards was damn good as well).  The filmmakers actually researched a lot of westerns (And not just Leone's own westerns) to get the story they wanted.

They actually wanted Eastwood, Van Cleef, and Wallach as the three guys he guns down at the beginning, but they couldn't work out the scheduling.

On 4/8/2018 at 4:01 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Claudia Cardinale was amazing.

Wished Fonda had done a lot more bad-guy westerns.

As for Eastwood, that was never the plan.  Once Upon a Time in the West was a very special project, and everybody was carefully cast (and Jason Robards was damn good as well).  The filmmakers actually researched a lot of westerns (And not just Leone's own westerns) to get the story they wanted.

They actually wanted Eastwood, Van Cleef, and Wallach as the three guys he guns down at the beginning, but they couldn't work out the scheduling.

Shit!. Forgot about Robards. So he can shoot too.

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

I'd like to take the moment to point out that Eli Wallach is a lifetime Longhorn.

Fess Parker is too, but y'all are some snobs so his name hasn't come up yet.

L.Q. Jones studied law at UT in 1950 and 1951.  He was Fess Parker's roommate and Parker convinced him to go to Hollywood.   L.Q. is a great character actor.   He is from Beaumont and still kicking.  He is 91. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 12:20 AM, Fondren & Main said:

Hombre is fanfuckingtastic.

Unforgiven sucks fucking ass.  Fuck that movie.

I just watched Hombre this weekend. It was really good and Paul Newman was excellent. It was also the first movie based on a book that matched what I imagined while reading the book.

On 4/4/2018 at 8:06 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

not a western.  Just because there are cowboy boots, horse and cactus that don't make it a western.

It is a Cormac McCarthy western. Like a lot of his works it's set in the 20th century and marinated in existential nihilism but the western elements are there.

Personally, I like All the Pretty Horses as a western more but that's set before McCarthy drags you down his dark hole of nihilism. Once you get to "The Crossing" in his border trilogy shit gets dark really fast as far as westerns go.

I am a fan of all Clint Eastwood and Jimmy Stewart movies.

I have all of them.  

The best quote is at the beginning of Hang em High.

Eastwood is swinging from a tree. A guy cuts him down, and says:

"Some people call this Hell, but you are still in Oklahoma territory."

I've always wanted to make a small video of that if anyone wants to tell me how.

Edited by BNB

7 hours ago, F250 said:

It is a Cormac McCarthy western. Like a lot of his works it's set in the 20th century and marinated in existential nihilism but the western elements are there.

Personally, I like All the Pretty Horses as a western more but that's set before McCarthy drags you down his dark hole of nihilism. Once you get to "The Crossing" in his border trilogy shit gets dark really fast as far as westerns go.

Not familiar with him so I need to do some googlez, but what are the elements that make it a western ?

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not familiar with him so I need to do some googlez, but what are the elements that make it a western ?

- classic western backdrop

- protagonist sheriff storyline

- black hat vs white hat representing a struggle of good vs bad. Although in this case it's really moral nihilism rather than bad.

- Story leads to a showdown between BH and WH. (Never happens in plot because the sheriff backs out.)

- movie ends with riding (walking) off into sunset

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

- classic western backdrop

- protagonist sheriff storyline

- black hat vs white hat representing a struggle of good vs bad. Although in this case it's really moral nihilism rather than bad.

- Story leads to a showdown between BH and WH. (Never happens in plot because the sheriff backs out.)

- movie ends with riding (walking) off into sunset

OK, those all check as strictly Western themes, especially the classic western back drop, but those themes usually  ring true in most murder mysteries.

You can substitute the protagonist sheriff for a grizzled city detective

black hat vs. white hat is a common theme in any/most murder mysteries.

Showdowns equal plot climax in most murder mysteries.

You mean Shagurs skulking away after the accident ?  That kinda goes against the western theme doesn't it ? because  good wins over evil in most  classic westerns (Even John Waynes murder by Bruce Dern is avenged in the Cowboys, Clint a black hat good guy kills Angel Eyes).

I think the only unique constant is the western back drop.

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

OK, those all check as strictly Western themes, especially the classic western back drop, but those themes usually  ring true in most murder mysteries.

You can substitute the protagonist sheriff for a grizzled city detective

black hat vs. white hat is a common theme in any/most murder mysteries.

Showdowns equal plot climax in most murder mysteries.

You mean Shagurs skulking away after the accident ?  That kinda goes against the western theme doesn't it ? because  good wins over evil in most  classic westerns (Even John Waynes murder by Bruce Dern is avenged in the Cowboys, Clint a black hat good guy kills Angel Eyes).

I think the only unique constant is the western back drop.

Yes, it goes against the traditional western theme but this isn't a traditional western. In the Cormac McCarthy universe there is no good to triumph over bad because there is no good nor bad. Thats the point.

Just now, Scheiss Meister said:

I've never seen a funnier western comedy than Cheyenne Social Club.  Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda really shine.

Speaking of Henry Fonda, how the hell has no one mentioned They Call Me Nobody yet?

Yep damnable funny.  Check out "A Big Hand For The Little Lady" (Henry Fonda in the lead).

"Little Big Man" is as funny a poignant western as I've ever seen, one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time.

One of my all-time favorite movies.  About the real story of Bill Miner.  The scene where he decides to go back to his old ways by first contemplating and then deciding to steal a horse is great acting through just the look on his face.   Kind of hard to come by nowadays but if you can find the film it is well worth the watch.

Image result for the grey fox

• Like 1

Last of the Dogmen.

Not a 'traditional' western, but if you like them, it's a nice way to waste 2 hours on a rainy day.

Edited by slorch