2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

Some pre-camp team notes from TFB:

Team Note | Sourced | Washington
By: Super K

We’ve mentioned Jake Smith multiple times over the summer as a guy who has stood out.

But before the players broke for their pre-fall camp rest, I had been hearing more and more about freshman wide receiver Marcus Washington.

***What told that Washington gets to his top speed in a hurry. He can put DBs on their heals.

***He hasn’t filled out yet but Yancy is taking care of that. He has a great frame.

***Was told he tracks the ball very well. Was told that before the break in 7v7 he was basically destroying everyone. Was unguardable by the end of the summer even by the upper-class defensive backs.

***Am told to expect him to play this year. He has guys like Collin and Malcolm in front of him so his time could be limited. But I was told, “he’s going to open some eyes at some point this season”.

***Was told it may be at the end of a game when the game is out of a reach for the other team but “he’s a dude” and there are some pretty high hopes for him early on.

***A side note, am told the offense is very confident in general in the weapons they have. One source said, “We are loaded and nobody really knows it”.

Longhorn Football Summer Workout Quick-Hitters 

By: Darius Terrell

Good news, guys. I was able to connect with an old friend that still has ties to the program. Our exchange was brief, but I was able to get some comments on how things have been going this summer.

***Nothing earth-shattering here, but this is without a doubt Sam Ehlinger’s football team. Texas hasn’t had a leader at the QB position, or on the team in general, of Ehlinger’s caliber since #12 was standing behind center in the shotgun formation for the Longhorns. Ehlinger is determined to do everything that he can to get the Longhorns back to winning championships and his teammates have bought in 100% in following his lead. 

***True Freshman WR Jake Smith is “the real deal.” He came in and immediately grabbed everyone’s attention with his work ethic and obviously his speed once they got out on the field. Smith is expected to play and play often this season. True Freshman WR Marcus Washington was also mentioned as a guy that had caught people’s attention.

***The leaders on the defensive side of the ball? “Malcolm Roach and Joseph Ossai. Ossai is a beast.” I think I may be more excited to see Ossai this season than any other player on the team.

***Redshirt Freshman OL Junior Angilau is a guy that has earned the respect of every single player in the program. 

***True Freshman OT Isaiah Hookfin is “over 300lbs,” which is amazing considering he was under 270lbs around the time of his commitment. Fellow True Freshman OT Javonne Shepherd is massive (320lbs) and has some remolding to do body wise. He has some of the longest arms on the team. 

***True Freshman DL T’Vondre Sweat is also “over 315lbs,” which I found interesting. Sweat has all of the tools. I’ll be monitoring his development closely over the next few years. 

***Sophomore CBs D’Shawn Jamison and Anthony Cook have put on weight (8+lbs) and haven’t lost a step. Texas has a lot of confidence in their young, but talented defensive secondary. “All of those guys look like a million bucks.”

***Junior TE Cade Brewer looks to be “100% of the way back,” from his ACL tear that he suffered in 2017. Brewer appears to be moving around as well as ever, which to those familiar with the injury, understand that it takes a while to regain full confidence in the knee even after you have been cleared and return to regular activity. The Longhorns are really counting on Brewer this season to take a major step and be the guy at a position that is viewed as pivotal by the staff.

***RS Freshman WR Al’Vonte Woodard will still be out when camp begins, as will Freshman LB De’Gabriel Floyd who is out for the season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

We’ve mentioned Jake Smith multiple times over the summer as a guy who has stood out.

But before the players broke for their pre-fall camp rest, I had been hearing more and more about freshman wide receiver Marcus Washington.

***What told that Washington gets to his top speed in a hurry. He can put DBs on their heals.

***He hasn’t filled out yet but Yancy is taking care of that. He has a great frame.

***Was told he tracks the ball very well. Was told that before the break in 7v7 he was basically destroying everyone. Was unguardable by the end of the summer even by the upper-class defensive backs.

***Am told to expect him to play this year. He has guys like Collin and Malcolm in front of him so his time could be limited. But I was told, “he’s going to open some eyes at some point this season”.

***Was told it may be at the end of a game when the game is out of a reach for the other team but “he’s a dude” and there are some pretty high hopes for him early on.

***A side note, am told the offense is very confident in general in the weapons they have. One source said, “We are loaded and nobody really knows it”.

Good news, guys. I was able to connect with an old friend that still has ties to the program. Our exchange was brief, but I was able to get some comments on how things have been going this summer.

***Nothing earth-shattering here, but this is without a doubt Sam Ehlinger’s football team. Texas hasn’t had a leader at the QB position, or on the team in general, of Ehlinger’s caliber since #12 was standing behind center in the shotgun formation for the Longhorns. Ehlinger is determined to do everything that he can to get the Longhorns back to winning championships and his teammates have bought in 100% in following his lead. 

***True Freshman WR Jake Smith is “the real deal.” He came in and immediately grabbed everyone’s attention with his work ethic and obviously his speed once they got out on the field. Smith is expected to play and play often this season. True Freshman WR Marcus Washington was also mentioned as a guy that had caught people’s attention.

***The leaders on the defensive side of the ball? “Malcolm Roach and Joseph Ossai. Ossai is a beast.” I think I may be more excited to see Ossai this season than any other player on the team.

***Redshirt Freshman OL Junior Angilau is a guy that has earned the respect of every single player in the program. 

***True Freshman OT Isaiah Hookfin is “over 300lbs,” which is amazing considering he was under 270lbs around the time of his commitment. Fellow True Freshman OT Javonne Shepherd is massive (320lbs) and has some remolding to do body wise. He has some of the longest arms on the team. 

***True Freshman DL T’Vondre Sweat is also “over 315lbs,” which I found interesting. Sweat has all of the tools. I’ll be monitoring his development closely over the next few years. 

***Sophomore CBs D’Shawn Jamison and Anthony Cook have put on weight (8+lbs) and haven’t lost a step. Texas has a lot of confidence in their young, but talented defensive secondary. “All of those guys look like a million bucks.”

***Junior TE Cade Brewer looks to be “100% of the way back,” from his ACL tear that he suffered in 2017. Brewer appears to be moving around as well as ever, which to those familiar with the injury, understand that it takes a while to regain full confidence in the knee even after you have been cleared and return to regular activity. The Longhorns are really counting on Brewer this season to take a major step and be the guy at a position that is viewed as pivotal by the staff.

***RS Freshman WR Al’Vonte Woodard will still be out when camp begins, as will Freshman LB De’Gabriel Floyd who is out for the season.

I hope the report about Brewer bears out. If he can return to his freshman form as a receiver, but with added weight/strength to hold up blocking, he’ll be a big plus for the offense, since Herman is likely to use 11 formation a lot even if that doesn’t get his best 11 players on the field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

3478503876_80a3d763ef_o.gif

• Like 4

Hope seems always to be highest in August, especially before any (heaven forbid) camp injuries. I have a positive gut feeling (too much salsa last night?), though, that I have not had in about a decade. A few bounces of the ball can turn a game, and in some ways even a whole season. That said, when was the last time we started the year with (1) a QB with legit skins on the wall and "it," (2) not just an exciting skill player, but exciting skill players that we will have to work to find a way to fit onto the field because of who is in front of them, (3) an OL that isn't one injury or illness away from total catastrophe (or worse-- already there) but rather appears solid, (4) a coach that looks like he loves and thrives in big games, and (5) great freshman talent that we plan to redshirt because we can. Defense has some questions, but there appear to be plausible and agreeable answers available-- we will need to see. All in all, I think this team is ready for a great season. Not good-- great. Have some Koolaid! I plan to keep chugging it myself.

Edited by Magus Ossis
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Estell seems to be developing nicely. Caden also seems to have added some much needed armor. 

EA-KZXoXsAEOnqW.jpg:large

Made a comment in another thread on Caden's arms. Looks like he's going for that ET build. Probably will never be as fast but can't wait to see him lay the wood on some unsuspecting ball carriers. 

TFB practice notes

Today was the first day of fall camp and the beginning of the beginning of football season.

During the media session we mainly saw special teams with a bit of shadow offense/defense.

DEPTH CHART
Offense

QB: Sam Ehlinger / Casey Thompson / Roschon Johnson

RB: Keaontay Ingram / Jordan Whittington / Kirk Johnson / Daniel Young

XWR: Collin Johnson / Malcolm Epps / Kennedy Lewis

Slot: Devin Duvernay / Josh Moore / Jordan Pouncey / Jake Smith

ZWR: Brennan Eagles / John Burt

TE: Cade Brewer / Reese Leitao / Jared Wiley / Brayden Liebrock

OL:
Sam Cosmi – Junior Angilau – Zach Shackelford – Derek Kerstetter – Denzel Okafor

Reese Moore – Tope Imade – Rafiti Ghirmai – JP Urquidez – Christian Jones

Defense

DL: Malcolm Roach – Keondre Coburn – Taquon Graham

Marquez Bimage – Gerald Wilson – Moro Ojomo

BLB: Joseph Ossai / Byron Hobbs

RLB: Jeffrey McCulloch

MLB: Ayodele Adeoye

NB: BJ Foster / Josh Thompson

CB: Anthony Cook / Jalen Green / D’Shawn Jamison

FS: Caden Sterns

BS: Brandon Jones

NOTES
– Few guys missing from camp today. Freshman WR Marcus Washington was out with a 101 degree fever.  RS Freshman WR Al’Vonte Woodard was out in a boot and not practicing. Freshman LB De’Gabriel Floyd was in a shell, running around in drills but not participating. He spent most of his time rehabbing with Yancy McKnight.

– Don’t worry too much about the depth chart because at this point it is definitely not permanent.

– The biggest surprise was the fact that Devin Duvernay was playing at the slot position. It seems that the staff feels comfortable with him taking over for LJH.

– If Duvernay does stay at slot, that means that there is now a battle at Z  between Brennan Eagles and John Burt. Looks like the coaches are trying to find a way to get Eagles on the field.

– This was grad transfer OG Parker Braun’s first day in a Texas helmet. He’ll likely work his way up the depth chart, but after seeing him in person, I have to say I was expecting him to have put on some more weight over the offseason. He’s got a good upper body, but his lower body seems a little slim. Don’t get me wrong he’s big enough to hang with the big boys still.

– Some one who did put on weight since the Spring is freshman RB Jordan Whittington who was bigger than both Kirk Johnson and Keaontay Ingram when standing next to him. He’s a big dude.

– Another big dude is Malcolm Epps. He’s about the same size as Collin Johnson. If he can get more to his game, he’ll be a deadly weapon.

– The quarterbacks didn’t look like they’ve take a day off. Sam Ehlinger looks more like a pure passer at this point. He was putting the ball on the money. Casey Thompson also looked pretty decent. Not as good or as consistent as Ehlinger, but better than what most were expecting. Roschon Johnson needs some more time to get things right.

– The offense started off by working on their “turbo,” which is using the same personnel groups in different formations and working down the field quickly. This will likely be a key feature of the offense this year.

– Jordan Whittington and Reese Leitao mixed in with the first team. Daniel Young and Brayden Liebrock mixed in with the second team.

– On special teams, Ryan Bujcevski’s punts were a bit inconsistent. Looks like they were trying to pin on the sideline, but he kept kicking out of bounds. Punts averages around 35-40 yards.

– D’Shawn Jamison was the first team returner and a vocal leader among that young group including Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith. He did a lot of  praising and teaching for the young guys.

(Will Baizer)

First day of practice and you can tell the energy around the team is real high.

– Leadership was the biggest stand out to me today. Obviously, Texas lost many starters from the 2018 campaign, but they do return several key leaders who are not afraid to be vocal.

– Safety Brandon Jones was the main voice on the defensive side of the ball and was heard coaching up freshman Tyler Owens who was the reason for team drill to be re-done. While on the offensive side of the ball, it was Zach Shackleford coaching up Georgia Tech grad transfer Parker Braun in an individual drill.

– Braun ran with the third team as evidenced by the depth chart above, as today was merely a teaching day from Herb Hand who stepped in several times to show Braun correct footwork and hand placements on certain blocking schemes.

– Adding to Will’s note on Floyd, he spent his time in the makeshift weight room the coaches installed at Whitaker for the time being.

– It’s hard to miss Malcolm Epps, he looked real smooth in routes. And on the sideline, whether he was watching the current play on the field or playing catch, he was always next to Collin Johnson.

– I didn’t get much of a chance to watch of freshman Kennedy Lewis, but he certainly looks the part. He’s taller than I expected despite being listed at 6’3″, I will make sure to keep an eye on him moving forward.

– Freshman CB Marques Caldwell received treatment during the stretching period, however I believe it was just a brace malfunction. He was a full participant this morning.

(CJ Vogel)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sterns does look huge.

Team “make our practice jerseys our game jerseys”.

This.  Can we just take all the fucking patches off except for the big 12 logo (which we are required to have)?  No Texas, No Longhorn on the jerseys.  Just burnt orange (or white) with a number on the front and back.  Add the names of the players in for all I care, just make it look good.

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

This.  Can we just take all the fucking patches off except for the big 12 logo (which we are required to have)?  No Texas, No Longhorn on the jerseys.  Just burnt orange (or white) with a number on the front and back.  Add the names of the players in for all I care, just make it look good.

The collar logo appears to be standard issue these days as well. Of course, ours is garishly big, and unnecessarily so.

2 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Bored and poor decision makers behind a desk ruining a great jersey.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The collar logo appears to be standard issue these days as well. Of course, ours is garishly big, and unnecessarily so.

Even the Penn State one (to use the most traditional Nike school) is pretty chonky. I think it's just Nike's thing.

football_Ehlinger_Sam_5.jpg

BW034.JPG

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB practice notes

Hide contents

Today was the first day of fall camp and the beginning of the beginning of football season.

During the media session we mainly saw special teams with a bit of shadow offense/defense.

DEPTH CHART
Offense

QB: Sam Ehlinger / Casey Thompson / Roschon Johnson

RB: Keaontay Ingram / Jordan Whittington / Kirk Johnson / Daniel Young

XWR: Collin Johnson / Malcolm Epps / Kennedy Lewis

Slot: Devin Duvernay / Josh Moore / Jordan Pouncey / Jake Smith

ZWR: Brennan Eagles / John Burt

TE: Cade Brewer / Reese Leitao / Jared Wiley / Brayden Liebrock

OL:
Sam Cosmi – Junior Angilau – Zach Shackelford – Derek Kerstetter – Denzel Okafor

Reese Moore – Tope Imade – Rafiti Ghirmai – JP Urquidez – Christian Jones

Defense

DL: Malcolm Roach – Keondre Coburn – Taquon Graham

Marquez Bimage – Gerald Wilson – Moro Ojomo

BLB: Joseph Ossai / Byron Hobbs

RLB: Jeffrey McCulloch

MLB: Ayodele Adeoye

NB: BJ Foster / Josh Thompson

CB: Anthony Cook / Jalen Green / D’Shawn Jamison

FS: Caden Sterns

BS: Brandon Jones

NOTES
– Few guys missing from camp today. Freshman WR Marcus Washington was out with a 101 degree fever.  RS Freshman WR Al’Vonte Woodard was out in a boot and not practicing. Freshman LB De’Gabriel Floyd was in a shell, running around in drills but not participating. He spent most of his time rehabbing with Yancy McKnight.

– Don’t worry too much about the depth chart because at this point it is definitely not permanent.

– The biggest surprise was the fact that Devin Duvernay was playing at the slot position. It seems that the staff feels comfortable with him taking over for LJH.

– If Duvernay does stay at slot, that means that there is now a battle at Z  between Brennan Eagles and John Burt. Looks like the coaches are trying to find a way to get Eagles on the field.

– This was grad transfer OG Parker Braun’s first day in a Texas helmet. He’ll likely work his way up the depth chart, but after seeing him in person, I have to say I was expecting him to have put on some more weight over the offseason. He’s got a good upper body, but his lower body seems a little slim. Don’t get me wrong he’s big enough to hang with the big boys still.

– Some one who did put on weight since the Spring is freshman RB Jordan Whittington who was bigger than both Kirk Johnson and Keaontay Ingram when standing next to him. He’s a big dude.

– Another big dude is Malcolm Epps. He’s about the same size as Collin Johnson. If he can get more to his game, he’ll be a deadly weapon.

– The quarterbacks didn’t look like they’ve take a day off. Sam Ehlinger looks more like a pure passer at this point. He was putting the ball on the money. Casey Thompson also looked pretty decent. Not as good or as consistent as Ehlinger, but better than what most were expecting. Roschon Johnson needs some more time to get things right.

– The offense started off by working on their “turbo,” which is using the same personnel groups in different formations and working down the field quickly. This will likely be a key feature of the offense this year.

– Jordan Whittington and Reese Leitao mixed in with the first team. Daniel Young and Brayden Liebrock mixed in with the second team.

– On special teams, Ryan Bujcevski’s punts were a bit inconsistent. Looks like they were trying to pin on the sideline, but he kept kicking out of bounds. Punts averages around 35-40 yards.

– D’Shawn Jamison was the first team returner and a vocal leader among that young group including Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith. He did a lot of  praising and teaching for the young guys.

(Will Baizer)

First day of practice and you can tell the energy around the team is real high.

– Leadership was the biggest stand out to me today. Obviously, Texas lost many starters from the 2018 campaign, but they do return several key leaders who are not afraid to be vocal.

– Safety Brandon Jones was the main voice on the defensive side of the ball and was heard coaching up freshman Tyler Owens who was the reason for team drill to be re-done. While on the offensive side of the ball, it was Zach Shackleford coaching up Georgia Tech grad transfer Parker Braun in an individual drill.

– Braun ran with the third team as evidenced by the depth chart above, as today was merely a teaching day from Herb Hand who stepped in several times to show Braun correct footwork and hand placements on certain blocking schemes.

– Adding to Will’s note on Floyd, he spent his time in the makeshift weight room the coaches installed at Whitaker for the time being.

– It’s hard to miss Malcolm Epps, he looked real smooth in routes. And on the sideline, whether he was watching the current play on the field or playing catch, he was always next to Collin Johnson.

– I didn’t get much of a chance to watch of freshman Kennedy Lewis, but he certainly looks the part. He’s taller than I expected despite being listed at 6’3″, I will make sure to keep an eye on him moving forward.

– Freshman CB Marques Caldwell received treatment during the stretching period, however I believe it was just a brace malfunction. He was a full participant this morning.

(CJ Vogel)

I wonder if we redshirt Smith. Duvernay/Moore/Whittington could make it hard for him to get on the field in year 1. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I wonder if we redshirt Smith. Duvernay/Moore/Whittington could make it hard for him to get on the field in year 1. 

No chance in hell unless he's injured. And Whittington is playing RB.

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

There's no way, I think.  He's too talented to keep off the field as either a returner or as a slot.

Returner is an interesting one - wonder who we are going with at PR and KR - has it been mentioned yet or does anyone have inside info? 

@Machinator yes I'm aware on Whittington - was angling that Smith flexed in HS and probably won't get any carries from the backfield judging by our depth there. 

Edited by ztejas