Diesel Trucks- Blue Def and other potential issues

I deleted my duramax a couple months ago, added Fass fuel pump and a tune. Went from
12.5mpg to 18.7mpg at 80 mph. It’s very nice
That's a huge gain in MPG; current diesel prices I'll take that gain all day.

I have a Fass 100 on mine and love it, especially with the ability to filter fuel down to 2 microns.

19 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

That's a huge gain in MPG; current diesel prices I'll take that gain all day.

I have a Fass 100 on mine and love it, especially with the ability to filter fuel down to 2 microns.

Yep. Especially since I can easily put 1k on my truck in a week. The DEF tank heater went out for the second time and it was either pay $1400 to have it all serviced or $1900 for the tune and delete. Pretty sure it’s about to pay for itself if it hasn’t already. I got 11.5 mpg pulling 18 round bales from Comanche to Decatur last week, best I’d ever gotten before was 7-8mpg. 

I'm truly impressed with the 50HP over injectors I put in my truck a few days ago. I purchased a set of new, not remans Dynamite Diesel Performance (DDP) injectors and cross-over tubes, which were not cheap compared to others. But I was only looking at them and Exergy as they have a long performance history. No core charge and they come with flow sheets within 2% of each other, at all power settings. Huge difference in throttle response and no black smoke, even with a tow tune from Smarty.

I was researching stock specs in spray and MPa pulses and it's crazy that you can upwards of a 15% difference between injectors for a factory set between power settings.

My old ones had some build up for sure but didn't look all that bad but internally were trash.
130f2af4ebd20ee59c8d38fd0e29cc23.jpg636a143a2b4387776c2ec4bebad46993.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Installed a Redhead Steering gearbox in my 07 Cummins. It's been leaking for a while so I had time to replace it. Good thing, as the return hose had a crack in it and would of blown in a matter of time. Took me 3.5 hrs, getting the damn Pittman arm was a PITA and took me an hr easy.

The pressure side hose was also tough yo get too as well. Also made sure to keep wheel in place as well. 975dad982391417357738437372a1748.jpg3e674c5f365b77a4799f4c9be21f1044.jpg338993c36447e8a4728d8006cd8cbab4.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Installed a Redhead Steering gearbox in my 07 Cummins. It's been leaking for a while so I had time to replace it. Good thing, as the return hose had a crack in it and would of blown in a matter of time. Took me 3.5 hrs, getting the damn Pittman arm was a PITA and took me an hr easy.

The pressure side hose was also tough yo get too as well. Also made sure to keep wheel in place as well. 975dad982391417357738437372a1748.jpg3e674c5f365b77a4799f4c9be21f1044.jpg338993c36447e8a4728d8006cd8cbab4.jpg

Interested in your long term review on the redhead. Have seen mixed reviews.  I replaced my box a couple of years ago because I lost the seal and didn’t have the time at that time to bust it apart.   Box actually felt shittier, but of course didn’t leak.  Was just another GM box. 

Interested in your long term review on the redhead. Have seen mixed reviews.  I replaced my box a couple of years ago because I lost the seal and didn’t have the time at that time to bust it apart.   Box actually felt shittier, but of course didn’t leak.  Was just another GM box. 
I saw the complaints as well but from my understanding, it was from a few years back...who really knows? I can say that the steering is tighter and it turns a lot easier; I run 35s so every bit helps. You can tell the valving has been changed as it's just smoother than a stock box.

I looked at PSC steering as well but they are almost a grand compared to these at around $450.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Installed the combo today and it was relatively straightforward. The Turbo drain line was a pain to get lined up with new gasket and bolts but no big issues. Heat cycled the manifold and did a hot retorque on the bolts.

Took it out for a spin and there's a little lag compared to stock but around 1800 rpm she comes to life. The truck will break those 35s loose with no problems. EGTs are higher (150-200 degrees) than I expected but not sure if that is due to the manifold's new pyrometer location (at the collector) compared to my stocker where I drilled it at the #3 cylinder. Gonna mess with my tunes later on and see what I can do with timing and duration. 4f5646b4d966e95451ca09cca245cf82.jpg32dafed5633029445817555269bad3c9.jpgefd4027598400937d65ed13630b81f51.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

So, I have had the small drip of death from the water pump, and am on my third PS pressure side hose in a year, so figured I’d change the hydroboost out and see if that’s what’s giving me fits.  Getting to the water pump on these is the difficult part, so figured I’d replace all the small ancillary stuff while I’m there.   So this week I’ve done the water pump, every hose, thermostats, overflow tank, fan clutch, fan, power steering pump (PSC), power steering hoses (DD AN type), hydroboost (‘11 upgrade), shocks, belt, tensioner, idlers, and batteries.  Fucking belt was OG and still in good condition, crazy. Most of the shit was ,to be honest, but I figure it’s payed it’s dues over the last 14 years.  Oh yeah, new headlights and fog lights, loaded with LED bulbs.   

So no fun stuff like yours, but I figure if I can string her along for a few more years, it won’t hurt as bad when a new one goes on order (narrator, that’s incorrect!$!) 

• Like 1

Damn bud, feel free to stop by and do mine too. I installed a 6.7 water pump on mine a few years back as it has more fins. It dropped my temps about 15 degrees but the damn serpentine belt was a royal PITA.

I've heard good things about the PSC steering and looked at them before I did mine.

15 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Damn bud, feel free to stop by and do mine too. I installed a 6.7 water pump on mine a few years back as it has more fins. It dropped my temps about 15 degrees but the damn serpentine belt was a royal PITA.

I've heard good things about the PSC steering and looked at them before I did mine.

I think the pump was still fine but it’s run dry a few times (I would immediately fill when I heard it) when those hoses were going out.  Between that and heavy ass mud tires I figured it was cheap insurance since I was doing the upgraded hoses and hboost at same time.   Work has been crazy so I just hit about an hour each eve and knock out a few things.   Gave me a reason to get a 1-7/8” wrench and 3/4x48” breaker bar.  

So, I have had the small drip of death from the water pump, and am on my third PS pressure side hose in a year, so figured I’d change the hydroboost out and see if that’s what’s giving me fits.  Getting to the water pump on these is the difficult part, so figured I’d replace all the small ancillary stuff while I’m there.   So this week I’ve done the water pump, every hose, thermostats, overflow tank, fan clutch, fan, power steering pump (PSC), power steering hoses (DD AN type), hydroboost (‘11 upgrade), shocks, belt, tensioner, idlers, and batteries.  Fucking belt was OG and still in good condition, crazy. Most of the shit was ,to be honest, but I figure it’s payed it’s dues over the last 14 years.  Oh yeah, new headlights and fog lights, loaded with LED bulbs.   
So no fun stuff like yours, but I figure if I can string her along for a few more years, it won’t hurt as bad when a new one goes on order (narrator, that’s incorrect!$!) 

What truck are you talking about?

I think the pump was still fine but it’s run dry a few times (I would immediately fill when I heard it) when those hoses were going out.  Between that and heavy ass mud tires I figured it was cheap insurance since I was doing the upgraded hoses and hboost at same time.   Work has been crazy so I just hit about an hour each eve and knock out a few things.   Gave me a reason to get a 1-7/8” wrench and 3/4x48” breaker bar.  
Damn, that's one hell of a leak to drain the pump. Never owned a Chevy so not sure of its capacity but that's definitely a leak.

6 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Damn, that's one hell of a leak to drain the pump. Never owned a Chevy so not sure of its capacity but that's definitely a leak.

Those hoses are a “known” issue. What pissed me off the most was the original set went for 250k miles before having an issue.  Then, I went thru 3 more sets in about a year or 18 months. And I was replacing them with OEM parts.  They are cheap and not difficult to replace, but it’s not fun either.   But yeah when goes, it goes pretty good.  Not scientific but I’d wager I drained it more when towing heavy. More angle of the dangle or something maybe.  

Had some voltage issues the past few days as it was reading 18v (pic 1) I used Fluke and tested both, 14.65 while running, and the static was mid-12s. Checked charging at alt and it was 14.68. Stumped, had batteries load tested and one was weaker than it should be so changed both and the gauge got a bit better (2nd pix).

Decided to look at all the grounds, and found some bad corrosion on the two that went to the block. Wire brushed those and checked other body grounds too. Cleaned it all up and boom, running normally now (last pic).

Edit*Pix posted out of order but you get the point. a3629fa6ccc0d5dc5ce1b4c0678b07d0.jpgc7719796a70f6ad3047e06bec944445f.jpgefbb6dbe8602c997f736f831c101262b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 months later...

I’ll read the thread, first time with a diesel truck. I’m clueless about the diesel life.  2019 2500 GMC, 62k miles. Drives damn smooth. I tend to buy all fuel at Exxon or Chevron, great apps. 

Im taking all tips / suggestions on this truck 

IMG_9762.jpeg

• Like 1

Googling def at the pump, actually found some good info on kkkags ,,, 

As someone that deals with DEF issues in the construction industry on a daily basis, be very careful with your DEF systems. Any kind of contamination is going to possibly cause some very expensive repairs to your system. If you use DEF from the fuel island I would make absolutely certain you clean the nozzle. Wipe down the outside and make sure no crystals have formed on the inside and you don't see any contamination in or on the nozzle. It doesn't take much to plug up and ruin a DEF header and if you aren't covered under warranty, you don't want that bill for the replacement.

DEF is finicky. I'm not sure how bulk DEF at gas stations is handled, that and the contamination aspect of it makes me leery of using it. I do know that DEF doesn't like sunlight or warm temperatures. UV breaks it down as well as heat. The stuff you buy at the store in boxes should be fine for many months as long as it doesn't sit in a hot warehouse for days or weeks on end. Since it is sealed up in a box it has no chance for UV to break it down.

Most of my customers that have DEF issues use bulk DEF. Bulk DEF usually comes in the 300 gallon opaque tanks. To me, those have a much higher chance of sitting in sunlight in some warehouse or in shipping and starting to break down. The pump systems are also a magnate for contamination if you aren't careful.  

Here is what I know. I have more control of the environment, temperature and cleanliness of the filling process using the 2.5 gallon jugs. I don't know how Mike the bulk tank delivery driver does his job but him having a bad day at the office can cost me a lot of money if he isn't careful on how he is filling the bulk DEF tank. DEF is cheap. My F250 goes through 1 gallon for every 1,000 miles. I also don't have to worry about how clean the nozzle is on jug compared to the nozzle at a gas station. To me, that extra $5 i save using bulk every 5,000 miles isn't worth the risk.

5 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with DEF in my 07. I've never heard anything good about it (emmisons withstanding). Seems every dang truck has had their run of DEF issues.

95% of our heavy equipment issues stem from either DEF or Regen issues.  Speaking of, bragged on the old truck a bit too much last month.  For the first time ever, 15 fucking years, had an issue with the DPF.  CEL came on but my scanner wouldn't read it.  Ended up being the rear EGT sensor for the DPF. It wasn't reading, so it wouldn't regen, so it plugged.  I was towing the travel trailer home from the hill country.  Luckily enough, I had my scanner with me and I just had to keep resetting it every 5 mins or so when it would try to throw it to limp.  Ended up the sensor was fine, but it wouldn't get voltage to it.   It needs some funky 4.5v.  I tried to jump it off the front sensor that also takes 4.5, but couldn't get it to work.  When I bought that truck 15 years ago, I told myself I'd delete it if the DPF ever fucked up, in lieu of replacing it.  SO, there's a 4" straight pipe in the garage, the exhaust is pulled off.  DSP5 switch installed, and my Autocal EFI live shows up tomorrow.   10, 30, 60, 90, and 150 hp tunes.   Not crazy about how loud its going to be, but no fucking way I'm paying that much to get it fixed back to stock.  Was half the price to pipe and tune it.   

• Hook 'Em 1

95% of our heavy equipment issues stem from either DEF or Regen issues.  Speaking of, bragged on the old truck a bit too much last month.  For the first time ever, 15 fucking years, had an issue with the DPF.  CEL came on but my scanner wouldn't read it.  Ended up being the rear EGT sensor for the DPF. It wasn't reading, so it wouldn't regen, so it plugged.  I was towing the travel trailer home from the hill country.  Luckily enough, I had my scanner with me and I just had to keep resetting it every 5 mins or so when it would try to throw it to limp.  Ended up the sensor was fine, but it wouldn't get voltage to it.   It needs some funky 4.5v.  I tried to jump it off the front sensor that also takes 4.5, but couldn't get it to work.  When I bought that truck 15 years ago, I told myself I'd delete it if the DPF ever fucked up, in lieu of replacing it.  SO, there's a 4" straight pipe in the garage, the exhaust is pulled off.  DSP5 switch installed, and my Autocal EFI live shows up tomorrow.   10, 30, 60, 90, and 150 hp tunes.   Not crazy about how loud its going to be, but no fucking way I'm paying that much to get it fixed back to stock.  Was half the price to pipe and tune it.   
She's gonna sound amazing. Time to let her eat

3 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

She's gonna sound amazing. Time to let her eat emoji41.png

I dunno.  That variable vanes on the dirtymax sounds weird af at idle.  I really not looking forward to the noise, am looking forward to a healthier engine.  Watched some vids of the full egr delete and couldn’t believe how much shit was in there at 100k.  I’m 3x that mileage.   Ugh.   I didn’t buy a drip of fuel from ‘15 to ‘20 or so, because of work arrangements.  I put almost 200k miles on in that time frame. Will be nice to see a solid pickup in mileage.  I’ll update when I get it all installed 

• Like 1

I cringe just reading these posts.  My ‘19 350 has 148K on it.   My partner (bidness) has 153K on his ‘19 350.   His DEF / regen is registering tilt recently.   It’s in the shop and he using my truck right now as I am using my wife’s while she’s away rodeoing. 

His truck is in good shape; however, this may be the beginning of the end.  

It’s a crying shame and an indictment of truck manufacturers (and gov mandates) that so much horse shit is piled onto a great engine that can last a long long time.   

Gone are the days of simple, all mechanical diesel engines and high mileage, sulfured diesel fuel.

I’m gonna go yell at some long-haired hippy freaks now.  

14 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I cringe just reading these posts.  My ‘19 350 has 148K on it.   My partner (bidness) has 153K on his ‘19 350.   His DEF / regen is registering tilt recently.   It’s in the shop and he using my truck right now as I am using my wife’s while she’s away rodeoing. 

It’s a crying shame and an indictment of truck manufacturers (and gov mandates) that so much horse shit is piled onto a great engine that can last a long long time.   

Gone are the days of simple, all mechanical diesel engines and high mileage, sulfured diesel fuel.

IMG_2864.thumb.jpeg.e12c20f5f85f4517159ceb0066b59327.jpeg

Day before yesterday 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Better go ahead and delete yours now so you can get another 150k out of it because god knows having a rodeo woman in your life means you ain't gonna have two nickels to rub together 90% of the time.

Also, obligatory

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Deadshank’s wife actually makes money when she rodeos. And he gets the house to himself. He married way, way out of his league. 

She makes money?  Need to me.  

Let’s say my losses are subsidized to pitiful from outrageous. 

Edited by deadshank
  • Haha 1

My son is rebuilding a 2003 Excursion to pull his trailer and haul all his kids. It’s immaculate for a truck with 471k miles on it. He’s rebuilt the 7.3 diesel engine, has a spare he picked up cheap from an f250 with only 170k on it. Found a 08 f250 chassis to be a donor for front suspension. It’s going to be a cool truck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

My son is rebuilding a 2003 Excursion to pull his trailer and haul all his kids. It’s immaculate for a truck with 471k miles on it. He’s rebuilt the 7.3 diesel engine, has a spare he picked up cheap from an f250 with only 170k on it. Found a 08 f250 chassis to be a donor for front suspension. It’s going to be a cool truck.

I see one on my route everyday that has the 11-16 front clip, new paint, etc.  Looks freaking awesome.  Buddy is still rocking one of the 6.0 ones (that’s now fully built/bulletproofed).  Bought and completely restored for roughly half the price on a suburban, and works better for 5 kids. 

Loved my 05' that baby was so much fun and would pull a damn house. I put a lot of money in that truck with engine and suspension work. Sold it in 14', after I moved on from the "sand" life out in SoCal. c743a33e63f3cf698e348a57d1c3bb68.jpga0aef6043f0334af0038453ede2341df.jpg