The Boys

C-Man

Watched first 2 episodes last night.  I'm in.  I like the whole superhero as asshole concept. 

I remember when I was a little kid thinking if I had been born with Clark Kent powers I'd use them just enough to run a 4.3 40 and win 4 Heismans without giving up the secret that I actually had superpowers.  But then, I'm an asshole, so I guess that's why I'm enjoying this.  

I just binged it on a business trip this past week.  Really, really well done.  We've seen the "super hero grows old" troupe with Logan, but this is a new spin on it. The casting and editing is really good, the guy they got for Homelander plays his part well - every scene with him feels like it's on a knife's edge, like he could snap at any moment and kill everyone in the room.  He plays the sociopath really well.

Elizabeth Shue is hot.  Starlight is hot.  Maeve is old-hot.  They changed some stuff from the comics but it's already been renewed for season 2 so we'll see where they go from here.

I just binged it on a business trip this past week.  Really, really well done.  We've seen the "super hero grows old" troupe with Logan, but this is a new spin on it. The casting and editing is really good, the guy they got for Homelander plays his part well - every scene with him feels like it's on a knife's edge, like he could snap at any moment and kill everyone in the room.  He plays the sociopath really well.
Elizabeth Shue is hot.  Starlight is hot.  Maeve is old-hot.  They changed some stuff from the comics but it's already been renewed for season 2 so we'll see where they go from here.

It’s been said before, but if you haven’t seen Banshee go watch it. The guy that plays Homelander basically is in the same form the entire series and he does snap - over and over and over again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I watched it.  I was entertained.  It has flaws, of course.  But it delivers enough to sustain interest.  Acting is good to great (Homelander as HoG mentioned earlier is outstanding, Starlight is a delight, Butcher is on point, Hughie walks the razor edge nicely). Some plot points are pretty predictable, but the pacing is fast enough where it doesn't really lessen the enjoyment.

Observations....

Hughie sees his dead gf routinely in a show that features HJO

Does it almost appear like Homelander constantly has a dip in?

Annie is a doppelganger for a blonde Selena Gomez

Shue looks fantanstic in some scenes but really old/aged in others.

Is the female FBI agent the same woman who played Steve Martins wife in PTA?

• Like 1

Not sure why this show isn't popping. It's on par with Umbrella Academy imo.

I made the mistake of looking into the background of one of the characters, one of the 7, and I basically got spoiled on the whole thing. At least for the comics. Like I know how everything ends.

I won't tell you the spoiler or the ending but I'll tell you which character the whole comic story revolves around.

Spoiler

It's Black Noir

I finished it last night and really enjoyed it. I'll keep questions/comments in spoilers in case anyone hasn't finished:

I thought the revelation of the terrorist supe was somewhat inevitable but I don't understand how it justifies the need for the Seven to become part of the U.S. military. None of the supes, except for maybe Homelander, have been shown to be immortal. Translucent was killed, A-train was severely injured then had a heart attack, Popclaw died, Mesmer is obviously weak, Deep is an emotional wreck. It seems like humans are perfectly capable of defeating supes with the right approach. Maybe that's just the viewpoint of the viewer though and the human characters in the show don't fully understand that at this point.

I also thought the revelation of Becca being alive was likely to happen but I'm very curious what changed with her to remain in secret. I can't imagine she willingly left Billy to live in secret with Homelander's son. More likely she was blackmailed by Vought and forced into hiding. I'm looking forward to this playing out in the next season.[/spoiler]

Edited by wild_turkey

23 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Was the George w bush 9/11 grounds speech borrowing strange to anyone else?

Fuck yeah I did, seemed like they were mocking it.  If you want to make a statement about GWB, so be it, but that was the wrong way if what was intended.

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I really thought she was going to whip them out to nurse Homelander in that one scene.

Oh hell yeah, sure felt like it. 

Spoiler

I kind of always thought we might find out she was his mother.  Right up until he cooked her brain.

1 hour ago, GottaB said:

Homelander is a poor mans Bradley Cooper

58 minutes ago, RPM said:

I was thinking a poor man's Chris Pine, but you're not wrong.

You two cunts are both wrong. Homelander is played by Anthony Starr. He played Lucas Hood on Banshee. Those two pussies nor any character they have ever played could hold a candle to Lucas Hood. 

I finished it last night and really enjoyed it. I'll keep questions/comments in spoilers in case anyone hasn't finished:

I thought the revelation of the terrorist supe was somewhat inevitable but I don't understand how it justifies the need for the Seven to become part of the U.S. military. None of the supes, except for maybe Homelander, have been shown to be immortal. Translucent was killed, A-train was severely injured then had a heart attack, Popclaw died, Mesmer is obviously weak, Deep is an emotional wreck. It seems like humans are perfectly capable of defeating supes with the right approach. Maybe that's just the viewpoint of the viewer though and the human characters in the show don't fully understand that at this point.

I also thought the revelation of Becca being alive was likely to happen but I'm very curious what changed with her to remain in secret. I can't imagine she willingly left Billy to live in secret with Homelander's son. More likely she was blackmailed by Vought and forced into hiding. I'm looking forward to this playing out in the next season.

I don’t think they necessarily expect people to believe them to be invincible. Plus, at this point in this story, the weaknesses aren’t really public. Translucent is on a mission, A train wasn’t a problem yet.... or maybe he was. But what the company had was the best farm league in the world.

I think what they wanted is what the boss lady was saying in the talk with the former head of Boeing. The current defense strategies could be rendered garbage if supes were on the other side and their presence brings in a bunch of concerns and the best counter is having an organized stable of them on our side.

You two cunts are both wrong. Homelander is played by Anthony Starr. He played Lucas Hood on Banshee. Those two pussies nor any character they have ever played could hold a candle to Lucas Hood. 

I have not seen banshee but it’s not like Bradley Cooper hasn’t played any really good roles in the 50 movies he has been in including some Oscar nominations.

6ec57437545c2ba80801b9da23826ec8.jpg

This show is great, and I hate comic book movies.  Maybe that's why I like it so much.

Also, csb: I downloaded the first couple of episodes on my ipad for a trip and I was really intrigued by the flat, montone voiceover throughout every scene.  It seemed ironic and satirical and fit so well with the overall theme of the show. "two boys step into the street; an armored car roars around the corner with police in pursuit.  The boys watch in awe; the truck crashes into a cab, but continues on."  I thought it was playing the role of the reader of the comic book and satirizing how formulaic comic book storytelling has become.

Anyway, when I searched online for discussion of this narrative style (a boring montone voiceover for every scene) for this show, or for who the narrator was, I found nothing.

I then realized I had the audio on for the visually impaired.  oops.  Anyway, I highly encourage you to watch the first couple of episodes this way.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2