The Boys

C-Man

8 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Homelander is the only thing that would get me invested in a season 2. I was tired of everyone else by the end of it.

That's kind of where I was by the end.  Other than the occasional absurd laugh (the dolphin), I felt like the show was confused with what to do with A-Train and The Deep after making them clearly gigantic pieces of shit.  Am I really supposed to sympathize with unabashed rapists and murderers?

No one on The Boys is particularly interesting on an individual level except Urban, and even his one note "revenge at any cost" mentality was wearing thin towards the end.

There's a lot of potential there though--and the ending obviously raises a ton of questions--so I'm curious where they go with it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That's kind of where I was by the end.  Other than the occasional absurd laugh (the dolphin), I felt like the show was confused with what to do with A-Train and The Deep after making them clearly gigantic pieces of shit.  Am I really supposed to sympathize with unabashed rapists and murderers?

No one on The Boys is particularly interesting on an individual level except Urban, and even his one note "revenge at any cost" mentality was wearing thin towards the end.

There's a lot of potential there though--and the ending obviously raises a ton of questions--so I'm curious where they go with it.

I think they needed to introduce new supes.   I'm guessing that is where they will go next season

Looking forward to a second watch. This show was dark. I loved all of it except for a train. Bad casting. Bad dialogue. Bad story. Just a terrible part of the story. Could have left him out entirely except for a few scenes and it would have been much better. 

8 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Looking forward to a second watch. This show was dark. I loved all of it except for a train. Bad casting. Bad dialogue. Bad story. Just a terrible part of the story. Could have left him out entirely except for a few scenes and it would have been much better. 

Can you teach me how to outrun cancer?

• Like 4

On 8/2/2019 at 1:57 PM, Horn of Gabriel said:

I just binged it on a business trip this past week.  Really, really well done.  We've seen the "super hero grows old" troupe with Logan, but this is a new spin on it. The casting and editing is really good, the guy they got for Homelander plays his part well - every scene with him feels like it's on a knife's edge, like he could snap at any moment and kill everyone in the room.  He plays the sociopath really well.

Elizabeth Shue is hot.  Starlight is hot.  Maeve is old-hot.  They changed some stuff from the comics but it's already been renewed for season 2 so we'll see where they go from here.

So Elizabeth Shue is hot, but Maeve is old-hot, hmm?  You must be watching this in standard definition.

Otherwise agree.  Acting is top notch in this and nearly every character is perfectly cast.

Hmm, I guess I’m one of the few that didn’t mind A Train. Not only did he kill Robin to set the season in motion, but his story helped show the supes’ physical limitations and the role of Compound V. He is kinda goofy and out of place at times, which I didn’t really interpret as bad acting/casting/writing, but rather he’s that player on every team that’s just never quite what he needs to be.

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Hmm, I guess I’m one of the few that didn’t mind A Train. Not only did he kill Robin to set the season in motion, but his story helped show the supes’ physical limitations and the role of Compound V. He is kinda goofy and out of place at times, which I didn’t really interpret as bad acting/casting/writing, but rather he’s that player on every team that’s just never quite what he needs to be.

the only thing that pissed me off about A-train was that fucked up part in his hair.

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

He's the diva wide receiver.

http://collider.com/the-boys-season-2-premiere-details/

“They already have more resources for the second season. They’re adding more characters, the scope of the show organically grows as the show continues. We just watched, actually, the first episode of the second season this week. It was a wonderful thing as producers. This is way better than I ever could’ve hoped it would be.”

Goldberg noted that season 2 is “definitely better than the first season,” saying that “immediately, it just looks a bit better, feels bigger, the actors all know what they’re doing.”

Spoilers at the ink.

Not gonna read this thread yet, cause I'm only halfway through, but this show is awesome. Anyone complaining of the typical superhero fatigue in MCU/DC movies should watch this show. What an awesome way to show how shitty people with super powers would act in reality. Quite refreshing after all the comic book movies that have come out recently. Funny thing is, this show does the dark superhero storylines better than any of the recent DC stuff. 

55 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Funny thing is, this show does the dark superhero storylines better than any of the recent DC stuff. 

With the exception of a few Batman films it's not hard to be better than a DC film.

Bunch of fucking spoilers...

Just binged the entire thing last night. Not a big serial TV show guy so that was rare for me. 

While the story gets maybe a little predictable or carried away at times, I think the pacing saves a lot of scenes that would otherwise leave a bad taste, and there are enough decent twists. (I mean the whole plot with "the boys" is just one dues ex after another, but they keep it interesting and avoid cliffhangers.)

The angle of tying a morally corrupt corporation to all of the world's superheros is well done. The marketing guys crack me up, Madeline is a perfect self-involved cunt executive, Homelander is a fantastic anti-hero - I think it raises a lot of good questions and ties into some interesting themes, especially with the reveal that none of the supes were born that way. 

The scenes with the politicians seemed a little ham-handed to me. The blackmailing of the okie senator and the complete neutering of the secretary of defense both seemed a little too... easy? I'd tie it into @wild_turkey's point about the supes not being all that super. Seems like the US gov. would have more nuts and wouldn't let one corp push them around like that. Then again, we haven't really seen Homelander's power tested yet (or even Starlight's, really). The viewer also knows a lot more about their weaknesses than the general public might assume. 

The Deep is perfect comic relief. I laughed out loud at the dolphin scene. Him being stuck in Ohio is great as well. The scene with the lobster, him shaving his head, him at the therapist's appointment, making the vodka smoothies - all deft comic breaks in the rest of the action. I definitely get a Rogen vibe from his story and the way they handle it on screen. 

Looking forward to season 2. Curious to see what they do with Frenchie and the Asian girl's story especially. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So just finished up as apparently my 4 and 6 year old as well as the wife aren't interested in buncha gill finger banging and elastic gay arms. I enjoyed it. A-train was a beating at times, but overall enjoyed it and will be anxiously awaiting next season. Damn at the last scene.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:50 PM, ztejas said:

Bunch of fucking spoilers...

Just binged the entire thing last night. Not a big serial TV show guy so that was rare for me. 

While the story gets maybe a little predictable or carried away at times, I think the pacing saves a lot of scenes that would otherwise leave a bad taste, and there are enough decent twists. (I mean the whole plot with "the boys" is just one dues ex after another, but they keep it interesting and avoid cliffhangers.)

The angle of tying a morally corrupt corporation to all of the world's superheros is well done. The marketing guys crack me up, Madeline is a perfect self-involved cunt executive, Homelander is a fantastic anti-hero - I think it raises a lot of good questions and ties into some interesting themes, especially with the reveal that none of the supes were born that way. 

The scenes with the politicians seemed a little ham-handed to me. The blackmailing of the okie senator and the complete neutering of the secretary of defense both seemed a little too... easy? I'd tie it into @wild_turkey's point about the supes not being all that super. Seems like the US gov. would have more nuts and wouldn't let one corp push them around like that. Then again, we haven't really seen Homelander's power tested yet (or even Starlight's, really). The viewer also knows a lot more about their weaknesses than the general public might assume. 

The Deep is perfect comic relief. I laughed out loud at the dolphin scene. Him being stuck in Ohio is great as well. The scene with the lobster, him shaving his head, him at the therapist's appointment, making the vodka smoothies - all deft comic breaks in the rest of the action. I definitely get a Rogen vibe from his story and the way they handle it on screen. 

Looking forward to season 2. Curious to see what they do with Frenchie and the Asian girl's story especially. 

Ha!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...