The National

Bearlyhangingon

One of my favorite bands ever. I remember the first time I heard "Boxer" and I found Matt's voice very off-putting. They were a slow burn but I'm so glad I gave them a shot. First time I saw them was at Fun Fun Fun Fest 2008, and I think I have seen them about 8 times since then. I think they will be at ACL, as well.

22 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

One of my favorite bands ever. I remember the first time I heard "Boxer" and I found Matt's voice very off-putting. They were a slow burn but I'm so glad I gave them a shot. First time I saw them was at Fun Fun Fun Fest 2008, and I think I have seen them about 8 times since then. I think they will be at ACL, as well.

same here

On 4/5/2018 at 8:33 AM, Bottlecap said:

Favorite band going right now. REALLY hope they don't play ACL, but i think thats where we're headed. Hopefully they'll do a midweek show.

one of the coolest aclfest moments i've ever had was that sunset show in 2010. it was great as usual, but the eagles were starting and matt drolls something like "i think we were supposed to stop before they started, but we have one more song." then he paused and says "it's okay, i asked glen frey and he said it was okay."

then they just fucking KILLED a version of about today. still get goosebumps thinking about that. left immediately after because i hate the fucking eagles, man (but also because i knew nothing was going to top that)

Great damn band. Got to see them on the Boxer tour at Granada and hang out with some of the band backstage after the show. "About Today" is probably my all-time favorite National song. That or "Theory of the Crows" or "90-Mile Water Wall."

2013 show in Dallas was incredible. We upset OU in Mack's last year earlier in the day and finished the night with Matt walking through the crowd at South Side Music Hall singing Mr November. I think Boxer is my favorite but I'm really partial to Trouble Will Find Me. 

My absolute favorite band.  Love I Should Live in Salt, About Today, I Need My Girl, Slow Show.  Went to LA a few weeks ago just to see them play 4 songs at IHeartRadio concert.  No other band gets to me like they do - a great band to listen to when you travel a lot for work.  I love to sit in an airport and listen.

• Like 1

Became a big fan when "Boxer" was released. Guess that's why I'm partial to "Fake Empire."

I also enjoy listening to the 6+ hours of "A Lot Of Sorrow" while working; after a while it puts me in almost hypnotic state and I get very productive. I'd love to have the 9 vinyl set of this. Anyone have it?

So this is interesting even though it's a bit of a cash grab. $50 but you get a free exclusive record, access to merchandise, and presale codes to shows. They're doing a show in NYC in late September that you can only get presale codes for through this fan club. 

https://americanmary.com/cherry-tree/

The National announce There’s No Leaving New York Festival, featuring Future Islands, Cat Power, more

Plus, the indie rockers have launched their own fan club

ON APRIL 09, 2018, 3:31PM

The National
The National

The National will host a new two-day music festival in the Big Apple this fall. Set for September 29th and 30th, it’s called The National presents: There’s No Leaving New Yorkand will take place at Forest Hills Stadium in Queens.

The indie rockers are slated to perform, in addition to Future Islands, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, and Cat Power. Previous Artist of the Month Phoebe Bridgers, Bully, and US Girls are also confirmed to play.

“Our show last October at Forest Hills Stadium was one of our favorite shows in the history of the band.” National guitarist Aaron Dessner shared in a statement. “The incredible legacy of the place and the fact that it still feels intimate even given its size, we started talking immediately about finding a way to come back for multiple nights with friends. We couldn’t be happier to announce these shows in September with some of our favorite artists.”

Tickets go on sale this Friday, April 13th, at 10 a.m. ET. The National have partnered with PLUS1 to donate $1 of every ticket sold, to the Brownsville Community Culinary Center.

Priority ticket access will be given to members of the band’s newly launched fan club, Cherry Tree. The association is meant to be a “community for fans where the band can connect directly with, and give back to each of them.” Memberships begin at $50/year and, along with early ticket access, include other perks such as exclusive merchandise and collectible vinyl releases. For more info on Cherry Tree, head here.

There’s No Leaving New York is actually the second festival spearheaded by The National this year The Matt Berninger-led outfit — natives of both New York and Ohio — are also heading up their own Homecoming Festival on April 28th and 29th in Cincinnati. At Homecoming, they’re expected to perform the entirety of Boxer. The bill also features acts like The Breeders, Future Islands, Feist, and Father John Misty.

Additionally, Aaron and Bryce Dessner are curating HAVEN Festival, which takes place in Denmark this August.

Edited by mdmost

On 4/7/2018 at 12:00 AM, wutang75 said:

My absolute favorite band.  Love I Should Live in Salt, About Today, I Need My Girl, Slow Show.  Went to LA a few weeks ago just to see them play 4 songs at IHeartRadio concert.  No other band gets to me like they do - a great band to listen to when you travel a lot for work.  I love to sit in an airport and listen.

No doubt...a great airport listen.  Forgot about Slow Show.  Great song.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:00 AM, wutang75 said:

User name does NOT check out. 

13 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

saw them at red rocks in 2016.  it was incredible.  

go easy on the edibles pre-show though.

I was at that Red Rocks show too, one of the best concert experiences of my life. Saw LCD Soundsystem there two days later which was also great, but I was surprised that the National show was better. Great band. 

• 2 weeks later...

Playing ACL Fest this year. Hopefully this means a Dallas date in between the time they're in Austin. Texas OU Saturday would be ideal as they've indicated they'll play on the 5th at ACL.

Picked this up. Very enjoyable.

d8f19ecf-9a36-4fab-bd30-a3f286092b50-jpe

Edited by mdmost

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Playing ACL Fest this year. Hopefully this means a Dallas date in between the time they're in Austin. Texas OU Saturday would be ideal as they've indicated they'll play on the 5th at ACL.

Picked this up. Very enjoyable.

d8f19ecf-9a36-4fab-bd30-a3f286092b50-jpe

They've done this before. Had tickets but got so boozed up before, during and after the game that I was unable to attend.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:43 AM, mdmost said:

Yeah, this would be fucking great. Very much in.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:18 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

I was spoiled at UT for music. 20 years old and I saw a bill at the Parish that was What Made Milwaukee Famous/ Clap Your Hands Say Yeah/ The National (Alligator album). 

I was at that show. What a great time for good indie music.

• 2 months later...

We’re gonna win! The National are playing the South Side Ballroom on October 6, Texas OU night. Did this in 2013 when we upset OU!

Dallas, we've added a performance to our fall tour on October 6th at South Side Ballroom. Alvvays joins us for this show.

Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday at 10am local.

🍒 Cherry Tree members with active accounts as of 11:59pm ET yesterday will have access to an exclusive members-only presale tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10am local.

americanmary.com