Any critters you have a irrational fear of / hatred for?

Buzzrock

Two irrational fears:

1 Those giant cockroaches that can fly in short bursts. We called them water bugs when I was growing up.

2. June bugs freak me out. There, I said it. Yes, I know they can't harm you in any way, but they scare the heck out of me. Hence the irrational fear.

It’s a cockroach for me and it isn’t even remotely close. Out here in Arizona we have scorpions, but they don’t bother me for some reason (plus the cat will fuck those things up real quick). 

When I was a kid, my grandma had a cockroach problem. One night I was sitting on her couch half asleep watching Scooby-Doo, and a cockroach crawled across my bare chest. Scared me for life. I’ll “man up” and kill one with a shoe or some raid, but I’m always waiting for that fucker to make a sudden move and/or fly right at me. Fuck cockroaches. 

• Like 1

To a lesser extent, I have a tiny fear of wasps for some reason. Never been stung, but anytime one is around I either need to kill it immediately, or know exactly where it is at all times. No problem with bees, and i have been stung. Maybe I’m just a pussy lol I don’t know. That one is more confusing to me than a cockroach, because I can pinpoint why I hate roaches and when it really started.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

On 8/2/2019 at 8:56 PM, TornACL said:

Also, pretty much every Texan remembers the first time they learned that cockroaches can fly. Fucking terrifying. 

Holy shit, so much truth here. I swear to God that is my earliest memory. One day when I was a kid, I decided I'd become a man, threw a shoe at one on the wall. Fucker flew right at my fucking face, I ran all the way out of the house screaming.

• Like 2

Humans.

The other day I saved a spider that was stuck in a ball of fuzz, wriggling around hopelessly on its back. I picked the fuzz away carefully and moved it outside and set it free. It will likely return and bite me in the neck while I sleep.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:38 PM, Surly Bevo said:

But this fucker right here wants to eat your soul

7eb587a458dd35c6fb9c29496f78704d.jpg

I got stung by a jellowjacket in the soft area between my index and middle finger.  I swear those sons of bitches have been studying human anatomy.  No way that was a lucky shot.

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

To a lesser extent, I have a tiny fear of wasps for some reason. Never been stung, but anytime one is around I either need to kill it immediately, or know exactly where it is at all times. No problem with bees, and i have been stung. Maybe I’m just a pussy lol I don’t know. That one is more confusing to me than a cockroach, because I can pinpoint why I hate roaches and when it really started.

That is because wasps are vindictive. The roly-poly bumblebees brushes alongside me in the garden, bouncing along gathering pollen from each and every flower as I water the zinnias, morning glories, and roses.  Every once in awhile one will fly near my arm but when it realizes I have no pollens to give, goes back to its task. The wasps, however, circle angrily toward my face and my neck and return again and again in a game of 'insect chicken.' Since I have weapons at my disposal such as wasp spray and a broom, I don't back down, but they are sneaky and I am outnumbered. I have anthropomorphized all the critters in our garden, and they are on the other team as far as I'm concerned. An entomologist could probably point out beneficial aspects of them, but for now, it is war.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I got stung by a jellowjacket in the soft area between my index and middle finger.  I swear those sons of bitches have been studying human anatomy.  No way that was a lucky shot.

Yep. I once was stung by one on the inside of my ear, next to the canal. Hurt like a mother fucker. 

Horseflies.

I live in southwest Louisiana. It's not an irrational fear. In the summer they are everywhere. When the sun starts to set, they come at you like Arnold after Sarah Connor. They are the definition of relentless evil.

black_horse_fly_bob.jpg

• Like 1

Cockroaches/tree roaches, whatever they are called, are my hated insect.  Not sure if it's a "critter" and maybe not irrational, but my big fear when I'm in their territory is bears.  

Can't believe bats are on anyone's list.  My favorite thing at my old house was to sit outside around my pool at dusk with an adult beverage and watch the bats fly around.  On a good night I'd have 3 or 4 circling the pool and my house at the same time.  They way they fly around and catch insects is amazing to watch.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:11 AM, deadshank said:

Baboons.  

the fuck did I do to you?

Growing up up north, didn't have much interaction with cockroaches or palmetto bugs. My grandparents lived in Orlando, and visiting them annually we were introduced. One night as a snot nosed kid, maybe 7 or 8 years old I still had some egg in the corner of my mouth from earlier in the day. I fell asleep and woke up to see a giant palmetto bug/cockroach (I think the former, not really sure of the difference) crawling up my sheet within inches of my face. I did not sleep for the rest of that trip, or probably the subsequent 3-4 trips. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ve known people (a person) that have tried to create an environment that would attract bats so they would eat misquotes. It actually works really well. 

I bought a "bat house" at Wabash when we moved into our current house.  Little Homesick painted the Batman emblem on it before I made the trek up the ladder to mount it on the giant pine tree in our front yard.  That was almost three years ago, and he and I love watching them come and go at sunset.  Bats kick ass.

Edited by Homesickhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've slowly grown past my fear of roaches just because killing them is so satisfying. 

Wasps make my list for sure though. Nope. 

I've always thought spiders are neat. There could be one in my house (as long as it's not something venomous) and I'll just let the little guy hangout. See if he wants a beer, ask if he's got any good weed connects. 

Wasps and other stinging bugs don’t really bother me. I got stung on my forearm by a red wasp a couple of weeks ago and it didn’t really hurt. It itched for a couple of days afterwards, but that was about it. Scorpions are pretty damn freaky looking, but they don’t freak me out at all. If I see one, I kill it. Roaches on the other hand are the absolute worst thing in the entire insect kingdom. Sure, there may be weirder looking bugs like centipedes, millipedes, and the aforementioned scorpions, but they are fairly uncommon in comparison to roaches. Those gross fuckers are everywhere. I’ve had an insect service for the last 19 years specifically so that I do not see them. The guy at the service I use knows I hate those fuckers so he basically nukes the outside areas of my house every 3 months. I rarely see them, and I live in the Houston area.

Is it really irrational if it can hurt you?  I wouldn't say I'm so much scared of wasps/yellow jackets/scorpions, but I try to avoid them so as to not get stung.  Roaches and millipedes are annoying, but harmless.  I live off a greenbelt, so we get tons of critters in the backyard and often in the house and I've pretty much become accustomed to dealing with them.  The biggest issue we've had recently is when I found out we had a beehive in our eave the hard way when multiple bees started coming my way as I was doing yard work.  Fortunately, I didn't get stung, but the beekeeper did remove 80 pounds of honeycomb from our house.  

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I've slowly grown past my fear of roaches just because killing them is so satisfying. 

Wasps make my list for sure though. Nope. 

I've always thought spiders are neat. There could be one in my house (as long as it's not something venomous) and I'll just let the little guy hangout. See if he wants a beer, ask if he's got any good weed connects. 

Image result for family guy spider charlottes web

• Like 6

5 hours ago, smuggs said:

Horseflies.

my my my said the spider to the fly, I've got some toys I think you might wanna try

I can remember being at the pool as a kid, these fuckers would land on your head and the natural response would be to get under the water....except the motherfuckers would take the dive with you.