Any critters you have a irrational fear of / hatred for?

Buzzrock

15 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Because they are everywhere in my neighborhood shitting all over the place and eating everything except lantana

Because they fuck up my yard constantly. 

How is that preventable?

We must live in the same neighborhood.  Deer everywhere and dillos living under my neighbor's porch.  Though I don't mind the deer.

As for the dillos tearing up your yard, you probably have too many grubs.  

Another thing about roaches is, I’m generally a pretty clean person. I always have been. My mom was crazy about how clean the house had to be growing up, and I never really understood how much I cared about cleanliness until I had filthy roommates. So anytime roaches come around, I feel like I’m doing something wrong, when in reality, those fuckers will show up just about anywhere. 
Also, is there really a difference between roaches and waterbugs? I feel like I rarely ever encounter smaller dark red looking roaches, but if I’m going to see them, it’s going to be the huge black ones. 
I used to think the same way but then a pest control guy explained it to me. He said the cockroaches are actually the little ones and they hang out in the filth. The waterbugs like water so you generally see them around pools, sewers and drains. As one other poster noted, they also like decaying vegetation so if you have organic mulch or a garden you'll have them too. They also tend to prefer more humid climates so seeing them further south is more likely.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:35 PM, Whatever said:
On 8/11/2019 at 2:58 PM, youdunnf said:
Another thing about roaches is, I’m generally a pretty clean person. I always have been. My mom was crazy about how clean the house had to be growing up, and I never really understood how much I cared about cleanliness until I had filthy roommates. So anytime roaches come around, I feel like I’m doing something wrong, when in reality, those fuckers will show up just about anywhere. 
Also, is there really a difference between roaches and waterbugs? I feel like I rarely ever encounter smaller dark red looking roaches, but if I’m going to see them, it’s going to be the huge black ones. 

I used to think the same way but then a pest control guy explained it to me. He said the cockroaches are actually the little ones and they hang out in the filth. The waterbugs like water so you generally see them around pools, sewers and drains. As one other poster noted, they also like decaying vegetation so if you have organic mulch or a garden you'll have them too. They also tend to prefer more humid climates so seeing them further south is more likely.

dale-gribble-6473-normal.jpg?1564851205

This guy knows his bugs. 

• Like 1

Back in 2004, there was a female in my section that was deathly afraid of camel spiders. Those little fuckers are EVERYGODDAMNWHERE in the middle east, what with all the deserts and all... Anyway. I killed one that was crawling around our area while my female battle buddy was at chow. I then proceeded to stage it in a place that she could see it. It too her probably 15 or so minutes to see the thing. When she finally did, she flew out of her seat so fast and freaked out. We had a good laugh. When I get home, I'll see if I can find the picture I took after I set up the camel spider. I have it somewhere on my computer.

• 1 month later...

I've known what "rattlesnakes" look like my whole damned life. Killed plenty of 'em in my day. Know which ones are not rattlers, too, and leave 'em alone, because that's just good garden management.  Here's a "rattlesnake":

western-diamondback-rattlesnake-showing-

Only... now... I go to a nature center, and see one of THESE motherfuckers, and suddenly, I'm all like, "What the fuck?" That does NOT look like what I know a rattlesnake to look like.

Crotalus-horridus-10.28.02-SRS-SC-coiled

I've never been afraid of snakes, my whole life. That's suddenly changed, because I no longer know which ones are which.

12 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I've known what "rattlesnakes" look like my whole damned life. Killed plenty of 'em in my day. Know which ones are not rattlers, too, and leave 'em alone, because that's just good garden management.  Here's a "rattlesnake":

western-diamondback-rattlesnake-showing-

Only... now... I go to a nature center, and see one of THESE motherfuckers, and suddenly, I'm all like, "What the fuck?" That does NOT look like what I know a rattlesnake to look like.

Crotalus-horridus-10.28.02-SRS-SC-coiled

I've never been afraid of snakes, my whole life. That's suddenly changed, because I no longer know which ones are which.

You are in NC right?  Well, I believe that's a timber rattler and that's about the only rattler you'll encounter up there instead of the multitudes of different, but generally diamondbacked, rattlers here.  Also, the rattle might tip you off.

The variation in copperheads and similarity to harmless snek is more problematic.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

The variation in copperheads and similarity to harmless snek is more problematic.

Actually, the first time I saw a timber rattler, it looked kinda like a copperhead to me. Then, it rattled. At which point, I was like, holy shit, I don't know diddly any more.

Everything's the wrong size, too. Squirrels are miniature; birds are gigantic; cats and dogs are living together. It's like Mother Nature put her usual recipes in the blender.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Actually, the first time I saw a timber rattler, it looked kinda like a copperhead to me. Then, it rattled. At which point, I was like, holy shit, I don't know diddly any more.

Everything's the wrong size, too. Squirrels are miniature; birds are gigantic; cats and dogs are living together. It's like Mother Nature put her usual recipes in the blender.

Them groundhogs what stand on the side of the road and count cars are kinda spooky too. 'Bout the size of a garden gnome. If you haven't seen one yet, you will. But you can bet they've seen you.

(1) Yes, roaches because they're fast moving and filthy and can fly.  Worse than seeing a roach is hearing one fly in a dark room. The Horror.

(2) Yes, yellowjackets.  They WILL chase you in a swarm and sting repeatedly.  My buddy almost died from anaphylactic shock after bumping a ground hive in an old yard timber border thingie while mowing his yard.  Fuckers were all over him in a flash.  ER doc said 5 more minutes he'd have been a goner.  His wife's nagging saved him!

(2) These fuckers: (fuck me images no make)

https://images.app.goo.gl/Jks247L4ZNXmNn7g6

https://images.app.goo.gl/oRn5HkCcwesChSUf6

Devil's Horses a/k/a Lubbers.

The nasty Alien monster of herbivores.  Red wings, yellow bellues, pincer mouths, long legs lined with barbs, toxic spit juice . . . the stuff of nightmares.  IWhen I was 6 or 7 I earned a penny for each one I killed.  It wasn't worth it.  They haunt me to this day.  From the U of Florida Featured Creatures website:

"When alarmed, lubbers will spread their wings, hiss, and secrete foul-smelling froth from their spiracles. They can expel a fine spray of toxic chemicals for a distance of 15 cm."

I've got a good one for this thread - horses. Something about 'em I just don't trust, like they're waiting to kick the fuck out of me or bite me or something. They're shifty.

Have always felt that way, no idea why. No traumatic experience or anything. I've even ridden a horse a handful of times with no incident.

• Like 1

Geese.  Ever since I was a kid growing up on a farm, and was attacked multiple times by a neighbor's guard goose, I've hated those bad boys.  Whenever I come upon some damn goose, I take a really, really wide berth.  Those dudes are mean and completely unpredictable.  

spacer.png

• Like 1

Skunks.  I used to not mind them.  Actually thought they were kind of cool.

My dog has been sprayed three times in the last year.  Once one evening when he was out taking a leak, once quail hunting, once dove hunting.  

This past weekend, he cornered one on the patio five minutes after we pulled up to the ranch.  He avoided getting sprayed.  The griddle took the full brunt of this little guy's stink sack.  I scrubbed the concrete for 30 minutes with peroxide and dish soap.  The entire house and garage stunk Friday night.  We could still faintly smell it Monday when we left.  

I hate em now.  I'll shoot every one I see.

IMG-2112-2.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2019 at 11:39 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

Skunks.  I used to not mind them.  Actually thought they were kind of cool.

My dog has been sprayed three times in the last year.  Once one evening when he was out taking a leak, once quail hunting, once dove hunting.  

This past weekend, he cornered one on the patio five minutes after we pulled up to the ranch.  He avoided getting sprayed.  The griddle took the full brunt of this little guy's stink sack.  I scrubbed the concrete for 30 minutes with peroxide and dish soap.  The entire house and garage stunk Friday night.  We could still faintly smell it Monday when we left.  

I hate em now.  I'll shoot every one I see.

IMG-2112-2.jpg

Yeah, they're a pain in the ass, but I think your dog may be the real problem here. He's been sprayed three times this year, and he's still fucking with skunks? Your pup may be a masochist. 

32 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Yeah, they're a pain in the ass, but I think your dog may be the real problem here. He's been sprayed three times this year, and he's still fucking with skunks? Your pup may be a masochist. 

I can't disagree.  He's a heck of a bird dog, and he's been snake trained, but he's just too damn nosy.  I was wondering this weekend if anyone offers "skunk proofing".  I'd love to de-funk a skunk, put him in a cage, turn my dog loose with his shock collar and "educate" him on not getting close to a skunk.

1 minute ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I can't disagree.  He's a heck of a bird dog, and he's been snake trained, but he's just too damn nosy.  I was wondering this weekend if anyone offers "skunk proofing".  I'd love to de-funk a skunk, put him in a cage, turn my dog loose with his shock collar and "educate" him on not getting close to a skunk.

I grew up on a farm, and every dog we had would get "skunk proofed."  The conditioning entailed the dog finding a skunk one night and getting sprayed.  That educated the dog permanently on not getting close to a skunk.  We never had a dog get sprayed twice.

Your dog is a dumbass.  Sorry that you had to hear that here.  

• Haha 1

Lulz. Yeah, "skunk-proofing" is getting sprayed. Every dog I've ever had got sprayed once. No dog I've ever had got sprayed twice.

It's a skunk's natural defense. Predators are supposed to learn the first time. If they don't, they either have some sort of natural resistance to the funk (i.e., their senses don't register it as being a terrible thing), they're too hungry to care, or they're too dumb. I'd probably assume it's the first, but being a good bird dog kinda throws that into doubt. So, I think I've gotta agree with nnm...your dog's dumb, bro. That being said, I'd give the shock collar plan a try.

8 minutes ago, nnm said:

I grew up on a farm, and every dog we had would get "skunk proofed."  The conditioning entailed the dog finding a skunk one night and getting sprayed.  That educated the dog permanently on not getting close to a skunk.  We never had a dog get sprayed twice.

Your dog is a dumbass.  Sorry that you had to hear that here.  

Not so sure about that.  I've been around hunting dogs for most of my life, and some of the best bird dogs I've seen found the occasional skunk.  One of the best pointers I ever hunted with in South Texas got sprayed twice in the same day.  

And, before you reply... yes, I'm defending my dog.  And no, I don't think he's a dumbass.  This is my fifth lab to own and first one to ever be hit by a skunk, but still the smartest dog I've ever personally owned.  I'm not saying he's a world-class field trial champion, but he's not a shovel-head either.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:46 AM, tokamak said:

I've got a good one for this thread - horses. Something about 'em I just don't trust, like they're waiting to kick the fuck out of me or bite me or something. They're shifty.

Have always felt that way, no idea why. No traumatic experience or anything. I've even ridden a horse a handful of times with no incident.

I have a healthy respect for horses. They can fuck you up quickly.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:45 PM, Buzzrock said:

No problem with these. Not sure why that would be.

I was walking down main street with my mother when I was five years old and felt something crawling around in my hair.  I swiped my hand downward through my hair and knocked a hornet straight into my eye where it stung me.  Since then anything black and yellow striped that flies does not get a friend or foe Orkin analysis from me.  It's death to everything that even wants to pretend to be a wasp or hornet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2019 at 7:19 PM, BearSchlong said:

Catfish. I will grab every fish in the bay but I am freaked out by their whiskers and barbed fins. I will not touch them. Doesnt matter if it's a gaff top, hardheaded, blue, channel. . .

Yeah, good point.  I'm always vaguely horrified if I pull one out of the water.  Fuckers are strong, too.

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2019 at 11:30 AM, BearSchlong said:

Yes they are.

I will also just clip the hook if I catch an Alligator Gar or Sheepshead.

Also, Stingrays.  I have a huge fear of Stingrays.  I just realized the Louisiana Marsh is trying to kill me.

Sheepshead are delicious, though.  The filets are small for the size of the fish, but they are better than drum, IMHO.  And yeah, I clip the hook if I have a stingray on.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sheepshead are delicious, though.  The filets are small for the size of the fish, but they are better than drum, IMHO.  And yeah, I clip the hook if I have a stingray on.

They are good, I've actually paid money at GW Fins for them.  In the event this whole COVID-19 thing goes zombie apocalypse, I'll probably support my whole family's nutrition needs with sheepshead.  That's my fall back plan.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 11:30 AM, BearSchlong said:

Yes they are.

I will also just clip the hook if I catch an Alligator Gar or Sheepshead.

Also, Stingrays.  I have a huge fear of Stingrays.  I just realized the Louisiana Marsh is trying to kill me.

Can a stingray turn its tail on you?  Or I suppose they're capable of seriously flopping around?

Ever seen a bowfin?  They have a mouthful of sharp teeth like an alligator gar, but not in a snout.  And when you have one out of the water, it does that open-and-close of the mouth (as fish do), and it looks like it's trying to pac-man everything in sight.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

@TwiceHorn I don't want to find out - the strange thing is that I've swam with stingrays in the Caymans at Stingray City, but they give me the willies if I've got one on a hook in my boat.

Just googled Bowfin. . .interesting exerpt from https://coastalanglermag.com/species-spotlight-bowfin/

So the question remains, can you eat them. Well I guess they won’t kill you but it might not taste good. One recipe I read said to nail a gutted fish to a board with the skin on, place it in a campfire and then when done throw the fish out and eat the board. Another entry I read said the Bowfin earned its name cottonfish because the cooked meat balls up and tastes like cotton. My suggestion is that if you must try eating a Bowfin then smoke it. Everything tastes better wrapped in bacon and smoked.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

@TwiceHorn I don't want to find out - the strange thing is that I've swam with stingrays in the Caymans at Stingray City, but they give me the willies if I've got one on a hook in my boat.

Just googled Bowfin. . .interesting exerpt from https://coastalanglermag.com/species-spotlight-bowfin/

So the question remains, can you eat them. Well I guess they won’t kill you but it might not taste good. One recipe I read said to nail a gutted fish to a board with the skin on, place it in a campfire and then when done throw the fish out and eat the board. Another entry I read said the Bowfin earned its name cottonfish because the cooked meat balls up and tastes like cotton. My suggestion is that if you must try eating a Bowfin then smoke it. Everything tastes better wrapped in bacon and smoked.

I can garrrantee you that @Kyrie Eleison has eaten bowfin and liked it.