need a good, honest mechanic - south austin

wife has a jeep renegade which had a battery die. took the battery to autozone, they charged, tested it, it's good. I put it back in, car starts up fine, and i take it back to autozone to test and see if the battery is getting fucked by the alternator. nope, but the starter failed so that needs replacing. 

normally i would youtube this shit and try to do it myself, but the starter looks buried in the engine. 

lady clerk at autozone recommended lugnuts on manchaca. anyone had a good experience there? anyone here turn wrenches on cars and want to help a brother out?

Edited by hayden_horn

Starters are actually quite easy & are buried "UNDER & to the side" for most vehicles.

I replaced the starter on my Ram Cummins 2x (last one, I smacked my finger between the starter & the  transmission crossmember & damn that shit still hurts 1 week later).

Replaced the starter on my Chevy 350 2x as well.  Similar process as the Cummins.

The 3 hassles will be

1.  In having the right sockets as they are a 12 point

2.  Getting the snap connector off (always a hassle).

Related image

3.  Getting that one bolt off from up top as you have to do this one blind & can only use a ratcheting wrench (there are 3 total).

One added aggravation is the weight of the fucker & you're lifting it while on your back & in tight quarters.

Considering the time, I can't see you being charged for more than 1.5 hours total & for sure less if you have the vehicle already jacked up & the part on hand.  BTW, you may as well do your oil change while it's in the air.

Dudes at Southwest Automotive have always treated me right.  512-892-2447.  On Joe Tanner Lane by the Oak Hill Little League Ballpark.
Second this. Rick is a good friend of mine and he's as straight up as they come.

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
13 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:
Fallout from the falling starter after it smashed my finger against the transmission mount / crossmember.

1 week ago.

& Before anyone asks, YES... I have already rubbed dirt on it.

67807470_10220090524523057_7191912459295260672_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQlN4WpGXtLykcs16Jm4Hv5nXKt7FqAhIIN11wlKhUTNfgL6SQwnASizozNSEnZuI9JVvQLOviTtOzzapTR10e24&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=13b60db4e77f3bbf7030c4efec0cab4b&oe=5DE3A0F2

Read more  

Do your toenails look like fingernails then?

No, however my prehensile tail does.

8 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I've had nothing but good experiences with Klingemanns.

Not me.

290 store ripped me off on a "spider" assembly on my Chevy Vortec.  Said it wasn't available for individual poppets / spider arms & only came in a full set.

LIES.

Edited by ROFL BOX
290 shop edit.

On 8/3/2019 at 11:23 PM, Steel Shank said:

Had a starter on a 72 Nova drop on my face once. I wasn't too happy about it.

Have I got a story for you. Illustrated for your pleasure.  Circa 1981, young Judge Roy has a bitchin’ mullet, and is in a barn replacing a starter on one of these.

spacer.pngThe starter is unusually heavy, unbeknownst to me.  I’m working out the last bolt, holding the starter with one weak, 15 year-old-boy-with-a-mullet arm.  Lying on one of these deathtrap creepers.

spacer.png

As the last bolt pops free, my baby arm fails and the starter falls on my forehead.  I’m not so momentarily stunned that I can’t push hard to roll myself out from under the truck, so that I do.  But alas, my beautiful party in the back gets hopelessly tangled in the metal wheel of the deathtrap creeper.  At this point I try to stand but I can’t move with a creeper tied to my head by a hair knot. I’m trapped.  I scream for my brother.  In between laughing fits he can’t unknot my Billy Ray Cyrus tribute hair, so he gets the only implement available.

spacer.png

Thus ended my mullet days, with a cut and bruise above my eyebrow.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 8:17 AM, Paco said:
On 8/3/2019 at 4:50 PM, Native Horn said:
Dudes at Southwest Automotive have always treated me right.  512-892-2447.  On Joe Tanner Lane by the Oak Hill Little League Ballpark.

Second this. Rick is a good friend of mine and he's as straight up as they come.

So, do I just ask for the Paco rate?