Active Shooter - El Paso

Rip76

44 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Just a reminder that, ironically enough, what we think of as “civilization” is actually an Iraqi invention. It has been innovated on by multiple societies and cultures, and white Europeans were among the last to adopt it.

And beer was what brought it all together 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I am a large ginger living in a predominantly hispanic neighborhood 

I sometimes wonder if I would be the target of some sort of reprisal while shopping at La Hacienda.

Naah, the messicans aren't gonna shoot your ass.  We're just there to get tortillas and queso fresco.  BUT...the next genocidal maniac might decide to hit La Hacienda to kill messicans, and you might get caught in the shooting because you're such a big white target.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

Good point. I'll be shopping at the Randalls on Exposition from now on.

Being shot to death vs. being run over by a West Austin mom in her Range Rover who can't see you because she's yammering on her phone and looking at her chipped nail.  Your call.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Being shot to death vs. being run over by a West Austin mom House GOP legislative aide in her Range Rover BMW who can't see you because she's yammering on her phone drunk and looking at her chipped nail texting. Your call.

FIFY

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/08/they-loved-each-other-built-their-lives-together-el-paso-died-together/

Not the easiest of reads.

They loved each other, built their lives together — and in El Paso, died together

Add to list

Four couples died in the Texas shooting. These are their love stories.

EAS5X4FZ7AI6TDUDJZTIP2MYCQ.jpg
Clockwise from top left: Andre and Jordan Anchondo (Photo courtesy Tito Anchondo); Raúl and Maria Flores (Family photo); Leo Campos and Maribel Hernandez (Photo courtesy Albert Hernandez). They are all victims of the Aug. 3 shooting that left 22 people dead in El Paso. (Family photos/Family photos)
August 8 at 12:56 PM

In the 60 years they were married, Raúl, 83, and Maria Flores, 77, rarely spent a day apart.

They met in the Mexican city of Ciudad Juarez as young adults and raised their family around the hills of California’s San Gabriel Valley. Together, in 1959, they grieved the death of their 2-week-old daughter, Alejandra, who had pneumonia. Together, they retired to a house in El Paso, where they cooked tamales and brought spindly plants back to life. Together, they nurtured three children, 11 grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren — and were waiting for one on the way.

On Saturday, the couple was gunned down at a Walmart in El Paso. The only comfort that their relatives take in their deaths is that, in the end, Raúl and Maria Flores were not separated.

“They didn’t deserve to go this way, but for me, I take comfort in knowing that they went together,” said Raúl Flores Jr., 55, the couple’s eldest son.

Flores Sr. was scheduled to have open-heart surgery Monday. On the day of the shooting, the couple was at Walmart buying air mattresses for relatives traveling to El Paso for the surgery.

“I tell myself, maybe it’s the Lord’s way of doing it,” Flores Jr. said, his voice cracking. “Maybe He knew my father wasn’t going to make it during the surgery, and maybe He knew that if anything happened to my father, my mother would be destroyed. Maybe that’s why He decided to take them together.”

Family remembers Raul and Maria Flores, who were killed in El Paso shooting

Family members gathered Aug. 7 to share memories of Raul and Maria Flores, who were both killed when a gunman opened fire at a Walmart in El Paso days earlier. (Video: Drea Cornejo, Whitney Leaming/Photo: Michael Robinson Chavez/The Washington Post)

Among the 22 victims of the El Paso massacre were four married couples: the Floreses; Leo Campos and Maribel Hernández, also grandparents; Sara Esther Regalado and Adolfo Cerros Hernández, from Ciudad Juarez; and Jordan and Andre Anchondo, who died protecting their 2-month-old baby. In the supermarket that day were also David and Kathy Johnson. According to relatives, David, 63, died using his body as a shield to protect his wife and their 9-year-old granddaughter, both of whom escaped unharmed. The Johnsons, a nephew said, were best friends.

These couples had built their lives around each other. And on Saturday, they were at Walmart to perform the same tasks that millions of others perform routinely: pick up groceries, buy school supplies, bond with their children and grandchildren. In the wake of the shooting, relatives and friends of these victims have turned to their love stories as a way to remember — and celebrate — them.

Jordan and Andre Anchondo had marked their first wedding anniversary just last week, said Andre’s older brother, Tito Anchondo. Andre, 24, had been in a rut for a few years but had turned his life around after meeting Jordan, 25, Tito said.

“She was his support system,” he said. “When he met Jordan, it gave him more reason to get on track with his life. He got his life in order.”

In 2018, Andre left the family auto-repair business to set up his own shop, Andre House of Granite and Stone. Business for his brother had been good, Tito said, and in his free time, Andre channeled his energy toward building a house for his young family, laboring under the Texas sun hours for at a time to get everything just right.

The house was finally ready, Tito Anchondo said, and on the day of the shooting, the Anchondos were at Walmart buying supplies for a housewarming party they were planning.

G2CTS2VZ6YI6TDUDJZTIP2MYCQ.jpg
Andre and Jordan Anchondo, two of the victims of the Aug. 3 shooting that left 22 people dead. (Family photo courtesy of Tito Anchondo )

Like Jordan Anchondo, Maribel Hernández, 56, was a pillar of support for her husband, Leo Campos, relatives said.

The couple led a simple life: Campos, 41, worked at a call center during the day while Hernández managed the household and cared for their children and grandchildren. For several years, Campos attended classes at a local school — training to become certified as an elementary school sports coach — and his wife would help him with essays late into the night, said Maribel’s brother Albert Hernández.

On Maribel Hernández’s birthday, or sometimes for no reason at all, Campos would romance her with long letters and large bouquets of flowers. When the couple could spare the time, they traveled to South Padre Island on the Gulf Coast. Hernández loved the beach, her brother said, and Campos loved pleasing her.

KHBJSZVZ6YI6TDUDJZTIP2MYCQ.jpg
Leo Campos and Maribel Hernández were two of the victims of the El Paso shooting. (Family photo courtesy of Albert Hernández)

Flores Sr. was the same way with his wife, his children said.

Born in the Mexican city of Jiménez, Flores Sr. worked as a painter most of his life. He had a strong work ethic and even in retirement would occasionally do painting jobs. Leticia Saldana, 57, said her father worked to make sure he could take care of Maria, “his queen."

Flores Sr. was sweeping floors at a tailor shop in 1950s Ciudad Juarez when he first saw Maria walk by, Saldana said. The soft-spoken young man would bring his broom near Maria to catch her attention until one day, she was “swept off her feet,” their daughter said in an interview, laughing between tears. From then on, the couple was rarely seen apart. Everywhere they went, including to the grocery store, the couple held hands, their children said.

Flores Sr. bought Maria shoes, clothes and bags that filled three closets, leaving just a little corner for his own items. And in return, Maria — Grandma Flores, as she was known — doted on the rest of the family.

Born in Tlahualilo, Maria loved to cook and had a knack for knowing exactly what everybody in her family loved to eat. Grandchildren who called ahead to say they were visiting would often arrive to find plates of their favorite dishes waiting for them while Maria prepared dessert in the kitchen, dancing as she baked to Elvis Presley or Marco Antonio Solis.

“They were so much alike, my parents,” Saldana said. “They were inseparable.”

“My whole life, that was my goal, to have a marriage, a love like that.”

Well, that didn't take long.  What a monumental dumb ass.  Trying to make a video and go viral, it looks like

Gunman arrested at MO Walmart

An off-duty firefighter reportedly stopped a man dressed in body armor and carrying tactical weapons at a Missouri Walmart Thursday.

Police in Springfield responded to a report of an active shooter at a Walmart Neighborhood Market store in Springfield, KY3 reported.

Witnesses told police the man, who was described as being in his 20s, pulled up to the store, put on the body armor and military fatigues and entered the store. Police said the man was recording himself on a cell phone as he walked through the store with a cart.

A manager pulled a fire alarm, urging customers to escape the store.

As the suspect left through an emergency exit, the firefighter reportedly held him at gunpoint until police arrived and detained him.

Police later confirmed the man had loaded weapons and over 100 rounds of ammunition

On 8/8/2019 at 12:15 PM, MissingInAction said:

I am a large ginger living in a predominantly hispanic neighborhood 

I sometimes wonder if I would be the target of some sort of reprisal while shopping at La Hacienda.

They never kill the leading man in the telenovela. If you are white, 50/50 chance you are the leading man.

The other 50/50 is that you are the main villain. Telenovelas will kill the hell out of the villain.

Que tengas buena suerte, werito.

• Haha 1

how could they even charge him with anything?  MO law different from TX on this point? because it seems like here what he did would be totally cool and totally legal.

The charge they are looking at is making a terrorist threat. All the gun stuff he did is perfectly legal.

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

They never kill the leading man in the telenovela. If you are white, 50/50 chance you are the leading man.

The other 50/50 is that you are the main villain. Telenovelas will kill the hell out of the villain.

Que tengas buena suerte, 

Gracias pero no me gusto.

Edited by MissingInAction

I don't do cloakroom so I'm posting this here in the hopes that someone can get this in to the narrative if it's not being discussed.

Any words uttered about gun control are wasted unless they specifically mention the NRA-paid-for 1986 Firearms Protection Act which prevents the creation or maintenance of electronic records of gun acquisition and gun ownership.  The data is on paper or microfiche cartridges, and is stored in 25 large shipping containers in the parking lot of the National Tracing Center in Martinsburg, West Virginia.  The ATF started building a database in spite of the law, but in 2016 the GAO made the ATF kill it, and they deleted 252 million records.

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/08/atf-non-searchable-databases/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Tracing_Center

Any words spoken or written about preventing gun acquisition, background checks, psychological topics, etc. is a 1000% waste of time, energy, bandwidth and political capital, until the act is modified, allowing the creation of a database with instant availability of the location and ownership of guns.  It doesn't even have to be in the cloud.  It's a big fat beltway contract for someone to waste a billion on even if it could be done for less than 5 million.

Here's the heretical scripture no one is willing to speak or touch:

Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 926

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926

No such rule or regulation prescribed [by the Attorney General] after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary's authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

52 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Any words spoken or written about preventing gun acquisition, background checks, psychological topics, etc. is a 1000% waste of time, energy, bandwidth and political capital, until the act is modified, allowing the creation of a database with instant availability of the location and ownership of guns.  It doesn't even have to be in the cloud.  It's a big fat beltway contract for someone to waste a billion on even if it could be done for less than 5 million.

Registration precedes confiscation. 

This racist murderer presumably just had an FBI background check a few weeks ago when he bought his rifle, and that firearm background check was logged and he was cleared. How would putting his gun serial number and his address into a federal database have stopped this shooting?

In a country that no longer seems content finding common ground and compromising, a solution that would produce actual positive results would require a lot of brilliant minds to work out the details around screening who may and may not purchase (or how they may otherwise acquire a weapon, end gun show loopholes, etc.) without registering every firearm into a database for future uses by big brother. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This racist murderer presumably just had an FBI background check a few weeks ago when he bought his rifle, and that firearm background check was logged and he was cleared. How would putting his gun serial number and his address into a federal database have stopped this shooting?

In a country that no longer seems content finding common ground and compromising, a solution that would produce actual positive results would require a lot of brilliant minds to work out the details around screening who may and may not purchase (or how they may otherwise acquire a weapon, end gun show loopholes, etc.) without registering every firearm into a database for future uses by big brother. 

Very often it wouldn't. I think what's been lost in the ensuing debate about gun control is the fact that the El Paso shooting was an act of white nationalist terrorism, and not a great example of guns falling into the hands of those who gun control  measures would likely further restrict, e.g. career criminals and the mentally ill. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This bears repeating.  Every single mass gun confiscation was preceded by registration.  No thanks.  

How would putting his gun serial number and his address into a federal database have stopped this shooting?

It wouldn't, nor is that the point of the registration/confiscation crowd.

• Like 1

Very often it wouldn't. I think what's been lost in the ensuing debate about gun control is the fact that the El Paso shooting was an act of white nationalist terrorism, and not a great example of guns falling into the hands of those who gun control  measures would likely further restrict, e.g. career criminals and the mentally ill. 

And, as I’ve mentioned already...it’s something that bothers me about this event: the focus on gun control instead of the fact that we have an exploding terrorist movement in our own country (and worldwide) and our leadership not only purposefully ignores and protects it...it FEEDS IT.

And, as I’ve mentioned already...it’s something that bothers me about this event: the focus on gun control instead of the fact that we have an exploding terrorist movement in our own country (and worldwide) and our leadership not only purposefully ignores and protects it...it FEEDS IT.

Yep. Plus, by allowing that to be subsumed by the usual gun control debate we’ve sort of erased the people of El Paso and Mexican Americans here, despite the fact that they were specifically attacked by a terrorist whose views have been partly legitimized by the President and his party.

Crying about the 2nd amendment is rich coming from people who fully support a president who constantly violates the 4th, and is attempting to attack the 1st.

I’ve found it quite interesting that many 2nd amendment worshippers do so to the exclusion of much of the remainder of the constitution.
  • Like 1

I’ve found it quite interesting that many 2nd amendment worshippers do so to the exclusion of much of the remainder of the constitution.

The constitution isn’t the point. The cruelty is the point. That’s my hypothesis of why they are, at this point, happy to discuss gun control. Because they would rather have the second amendment on the table than white nationalism.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Oh great, a link to Ben Shapiro's shitty ass website. I'm sure it's a real honest and well-meaning article, and not total bullshit at all.

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Well tell us how it's a shity article.

No evidence of the death threats were provided in the article. Nor was their any reference to amount/context of death threats (leftists pissed at the trump supporters? White supremecists threatening to finish the job?)

So it was a shitty article.

12 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Well tell us how it's a shity article.

You’re turn. Tell us how Shapiro isn’t shitty, and does drive for honest, well meaning, totally not bullshit viewpoints <cough> Andrew Neil is a leftist <cough>. 

Edited by achooloco

3 hours ago, achooloco said:

You’re turn. Tell us how Shapiro isn’t shitty, and does drive for honest, well meaning, totally not bullshit viewpoints <cough> Andrew Neil is a leftist <cough>. 

You mean the one where he apologized for leaving? That one?

Edited by workswithseed

13 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You mean the one where he apologized for leaving? That one?

I could probably cite a lot of different instances but I only selected the most recent (known to me). But you still haven’t answered the question about him in general. 

In El Paso, Hundreds Show Up to Mourn a Woman They Didn’t Know

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/16/us/el-paso-funeral-basco.html

Mr. Basco had invited the public to the service this week, worried that he would have to bury his partner of 22 years alone. Ms. Reckard, one of the 22 people killed in the attack on Aug. 3, has children, but Mr. Basco has no direct relatives. When Perches Funeral Homes, which was handling Ms. Reckard’s arrangements, learned of Mr. Basco’s intentions, it extended an open invitation to the service on its Facebook page.

Rest of the story at the link, but this picture really got to me:

SHOOTING%20108.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 years later...