Active Shooter - El Paso

Rip76

53 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

their voters are all convinced if they were in that parking lot with their guns they would have stopped the shooter. Their answer to everything is more guns, not less.

To be fair, if the air were completely full of bullets, then none of the bullets would be able to move and no one would be hurt by the bullets.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Nobody gives a fuck.  Nobody gave a fuck when kids were mass murdered at Sandy Hook. 

Nobody will do shit. 

Yup

always said if they didn’t do anything after that dude played duck hunt on kids In an elementary school, they’ll never do anything

fucking disgusting 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Nobody gives a fuck.  Nobody gave a fuck when kids were mass murdered at Sandy Hook. 

Nobody will do shit. 

It's only a matter of time until we get a shitload of people/little kids being mowed down while it's being live-streamed in a way that a lot more people are aware of it, and then you'll see some people stirring (I'm not counting NZ, because it's abstract for people in this country).   This stuff is very abstract for a lot of people here in the US, and they are able to keep it at arm's length, toss out their "thoughts and prayers" and ignore it.   But the day is coming when it's going to be so in your face that it can't be ignored, and then you'll see one helluva fight.  Even though it wasn't live-streamed, Parkland came close.   

I would like to think we will address the mental illness aspect sometime soon, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  Putting aside the fact that mass murder is a sign of mental illness, this kid probably doesn't realize he's hurt his cause more than he's helped it.

Edited by atomheartbevo

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's only a matter of time until we get a shitload of people/little kids being mowed down while it's being live-streamed in a way that a lot more people are aware of it, and then you'll see some people stirring (I'm not counting NZ, because it's abstract for people in this country).   This stuff is very abstract for a lot of people here in the US, and they are able to keep it at arm's length, toss out their "thoughts and prayers" and ignore it.   But the day is coming when it's going to be so in your face that it can't be ignored, and then you'll see one helluva fight.  Even though it wasn't live-streamed, Parkland came close.   

I would like to think we will address the mental illness aspect sometime soon, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  Putting aside the fact that mass murder is a sign of mental illness, this kid probably doesn't realize he's hurt his cause more than he's helped it.

Statistically, those are who are truly mentally ill are more likely to be a victim (rather than a perpetrator) of violence. Also, the early signs appear to point in the direction that it was this guy's cultural beliefs (e.g. neo-Nazi-esque) and if it's a culture-bound phenomenon - another example would be Islamic terrorism, then it's not mental illness. The DSM-5 is very clear on this.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I haven't seen this anywhere but has anybody said how the shooter was stopped? Based on the photo of him in the back of the patrol car -- guess that was him -- he didn't appear to have been shot.

Reports are he gave up peacefully and that LEO didn't fire a single shot.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

“Manifesto” was basically a transcript of Tucker Carlson talking points.   We are way past this guy being THE inspiration. 

Tucker, in all of his glory, isn’t near this fuckwad. At least be moderately honest.  I don’t like him either, but he ain’t this fucking kid 

12 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Law enforcement didn't fire any shots. 

He probably gave up as soon as he saw guns pointing at him, because despite what he writes in his manifesto, he's a coward. 

Yeah, I just went and read that entire thing and he openly said he was not going to let himself get captured.

11 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Been out all day drinking but has any of our state leadership said anything about this yet? I know Beto did but did anyone else? Seems like a long time for silence

CNN talked to a couple of El Paso area reps on and Julian Castro chipped in with some strong anti-assault weapons talk.

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Tucker, in all of his glory, isn’t near this fuckwad. At least be moderately honest.  I don’t like him either, but he ain’t this fucking kid 

White Nationalists openly consider Tucker their mainstream thought leader.  

Tucker synced up with white nationalists. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I disagree with this. the whole right wing populist package comes together with this guy- market skeptical populist economic ideas mixed with neoluddist environmentalism and ethnic nationalism. He's very much a classic mountain west far-right populist. Even talks about the Lorax. 
The only real difference with Tucker Carlson is that Carlson doesn't worry about the environment or go quite there with ethnic separatism. But he does broadly assign the problems with jobs, income inequalty and healthcare with immigrants, which is what this guy does also.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I just read the manifesto and it's mind poison. I'm very concerned that it will inspire others. 

27 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It will and I hate whoever leaked/posted it for the world to see.

This type of stuff is all over the internet, and has entire sites devoted to it (not to mention the Chans).  While it now has a bodycount behind it, this little manifest is not really any more "inspiring" than any of the thousand other manifestos floating around out there, given that part of it focused on his fear of authorities and putting his cowardice on full display and going against what he would say "the coppers will never take me a live!"

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

This type of stuff is all over the internet, and has entire sites devoted to it (not to mention the Chans).  While it now has a bodycount behind it, this little manifest is not really any more "inspiring" than any of the thousand other manifestos floating around out there, given that part of it focused on his fear of authorities and putting his cowardice on full display.

You're right about the Internet being full of this type of stuff. However, this "manifesto" in combination with this attack carried out by it's author will only serve to inspire copy-cat attacks because there are bound to be countless losers that want to emulate this chump. Now these people have a reason to be motivated and emboldened by the "manifesto" of a coward who followed through on his beliefs.

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You're right about the Internet being full of this type of stuff. However, this "manifesto" in combination with this attack carried out by it's author will only serve to inspire copy-cat attacks because there are bound to be countless losers that want to emulate this chump. Now these people have a reason to be motivated and emboldened by the "manifesto" of a coward who followed through on his beliefs.

Ban the intenernet

17 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Ummm, Tucker Carlson preaches absolute hate and racism. He, among others, say the same things this guy thinks. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

They get to watch him go through the judicial system and get the death penalty.  That's not particularly inspiring.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Mental illness has become the comforting way to process these events, but many of these perpetrators really are radicalized people.  Doing terrible things isn't the same as mental illness. 

Absolutely true.  Some may be mentally ill, but mental illness isn't a particularly common causation.

Research has shown that the overwhelming common trait among these shooters is *anger*.  White male anger.

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This type of stuff is all over the internet, and has entire sites devoted to it (not to mention the Chans).  While it now has a bodycount behind it, this little manifest is not really any more "inspiring" than any of the thousand other manifestos floating around out there, given that part of it focused on his fear of authorities and putting his cowardice on full display and going against what he would say "the coppers will never take me a live!"

Eh, OK, but considering that the shooter specifically references the Christchurch shooter's manifesto as inspiration in the first sentence, I'm going to have to disagree.  The manifesto puts an intellectual framework around the action that allows a potential shooter to rationalize. It's like ISIS videos. The fact that it comes from people actually doing it it what seperates it from the rest. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Law enforcement didn't fire any shots. 

He probably gave up as soon as he saw guns pointing at him, because despite what he writes in his manifesto, he's a coward. 

It looks like he actually got away from the scene. But got caught in a traffic stop.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

No it isn’t. It’s part and parcel to Tucker and Fox.

Yep. Van Jones doesn’t say shit like that. 

Im not excusing it.  I don’t fucking watch any of those networks anymore because they’re all the fucking same.   Just like the politicians are the fucking same.  I’m just tired of the shit to be honest 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Eh, OK, but considering that the shooter specifically references the Christchurch shooter's manifesto as inspiration in the first sentence, I'm going to have to disagree.  The manifesto puts an intellectual framework around the action that allows a potential shooter to rationalize. It's like ISIS videos. The fact that it comes from people actually doing it it what seperates it from the rest. 

This guy pussied out and let himself be captured easily. 

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Im not excusing it.  I don’t fucking watch any of those networks anymore because they’re all the fucking same.   Just like the politicians are the fucking same.  I’m just tired of the shit to be honest 

Except they aren’t all the same which is the entire point here. 

10 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

no, they are not the fucking same.  Anderson Cooper is not the fucking same as Hannity.   Fuck you for even implying that. 

• Like 1