Wives and the Stupid Shit They Say/Do

Spur08

6 hours ago, nnm said:

Smoke detectors are assholes. They never start beeping for more batteries at 10:00 am on a Saturday when you have all day to deal with it.  Nope, it’s always 2:00 am on a Tuesday when you have a huge meeting first thing in the morning. Or when you’re out of town and your wife can’t get to the device. 

Word.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nnm said:

Smoke detectors are assholes. They never start beeping for more batteries at 10:00 am on a Saturday when you have all day to deal with it.  Nope, it’s always 2:00 am on a Tuesday when you have a huge meeting first thing in the morning. Or when you’re out of town and your wife can’t get to the device. 

A truer post has never been made

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, nnm said:

It’s funny because in my experience I’d say 3:00 AM but then I’m on Eastern Time. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, nnm said:

Fun fact --  it's actually science / physics that causes the 2AM part. 2AM just happens to often be the time when the house is generally coolest, enough to cause the very low battery to finally signal that it's really low, similar to a cold car battery not putting out as much power as a warmer one.  As for it being a Tuesday instead of a Saturday... yeah it's likely just being an asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 6:36 AM, nnm said:

Especially when they go out at 2am on night one of the February '21 snowpacalypse.  And you have no battery and no way to go buy one.  Oh, and it's that detector on a 20 ft ceiling and your cheap ass extension ladder which you keep outside along the side of the house because you never use it, is buried in snow.  Would only suck worse if the power stayed off for 2 days and then you lost water after that...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Especially when they go out at 2am on night one of the February '21 snowpacalypse.  And you have no battery and no way to go buy one.  Oh, and it's that detector on a 20 ft ceiling and your cheap ass extension ladder which you keep outside along the side of the house because you never use it, is buried in snow.  Would only suck worse if the power stayed off for 2 days and then you lost water after that...

I probably would have shot it to death.

• Like 2

CSB alert...

Several years ago one of our detectors started beeping in the middle of the night. Of course Mrs Mo or the boys (HS at the time) didn't wake up. It was high on the wall in the LR so I had to go to the garage and lug the extension ladder through the house, set it up against the wall, and change the battery. Just left the ladder there and went back to bed.  I made all kinds of noise and noone in the house even moved. The next morning everyone got up and asked why the ladder was in the LR. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

CSB alert...

Several years ago one of our detectors started beeping in the middle of the night. Of course Mrs Mo or the boys (HS at the time) didn't wake up. It was high on the wall in the LR so I had to go to the garage and lug the extension ladder through the house, set it up against the wall, and change the battery. Just left the ladder there and went back to bed.  I made all kinds of noise and noone in the house even moved. The next morning everyone got up and asked why the ladder was in the LR. 

Yep.  No one hears it but me and the dog.  Dog freaks the hell out.  I'm running around the house with a long stick trying to push that little button in the middle of the smoke detectors.

20 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

We have like 15 detectors that are all hard wired together so they all go off simultaneously. Also whenever one is beeping from a low battery, it takes a solid hour to figure out which one it is. 

You stole my post. It sounds like a fucking air raid

27 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Yep.  No one hears it but me and the dog.  Dog freaks the hell out.  I'm running around the house with a long stick trying to push that little button in the middle of the smoke detectors.

89c43326-93d5-455c-a0ed-21225c66a65c_tex

Your system doesn't work where the low battery one chirps by itself so you can find it? Mine go off at same time too but the low bat one chirps annoyingly until I can find it. 

Rambling chick story with no point:

The Thursday right before the snowpoclyse, my power went down for about 4 hours. I used a hurricane lamp with a new candle that smelled good. Only thing was that it threw a lot of smoke and eventually set the alarm off. My chihuahua flipped out and was running around like a chicken with his head cut off. I tried to catch him and take him out the back but he was too freaked out to stop running around. I was laughing, trying to get him outside, and trying to air the house at the same time. It was already shitty weather outside and when I finally held him, he was shivering from more than just fear. I threw the rest of the fucking candle from Wimberley away.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Your system doesn't work where the low battery one chirps by itself so you can find it? Mine go off at same time too but the low bat one chirps annoyingly until I can find it. 

oh it's only one that's beeping - still takes a fucking hour to figure out which one it is. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Rambling chick story with no point:

The Thursday right before the snowpoclyse, my power went down for about 4 hours. I used a hurricane lamp with a new candle that smelled good. Only thing was that it threw a lot of smoke and eventually set the alarm off. My chihuahua flipped out and was running around like a chicken with his head cut off. I tried to catch him and take him out the back but he was too freaked out to stop running around. I was laughing, trying to get him outside, and trying to air the house at the same time. It was already shitty weather outside and when I finally held him, he was shivering from more than just fear. I threw the rest of the fucking candle from Wimberley away.

Uh oh. You triggered WhattheBuck and his candle fetish. Incoming. Take cover. 

• Haha 4

On 3/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, NorthLoop said:

We have like 15 detectors that are all hard wired together so they all go off simultaneously. Also whenever one is beeping from a low battery, it takes a solid hour to figure out which one it is. 

Same.  It's a fucking nightmare when they all go off.  Dogs lose their shit.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, NorthLoop said:

I made the investment and replaced them all with Nest Protect monitors.  Now I get phone notifications for low batteries and I know exactly which one needs attention.  They also give a warning before sounding, so you can turn it off before it actually sounds if it’s just things getting a bit smoky in the kitchen.  

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I made the investment and replaced them all with Nest Protect monitors.  Now I get phone notifications for low batteries and I know exactly which one needs attention.  They also give a warning before sounding, so you can turn it off before it actually sounds if it’s just things getting a bit smoky in the kitchen.  

E768BA50-1E04-4C9D-BCE3-3B2FC0AE6B95.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6

17 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Wife gets home from running an errand, grabs a glass in front of the fridge...

Wife: How was baby while I was gone?

Me: oh she was

Ice maker: BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Ice cubes: *clink* *clank* 

Me: ... She was

Water dispenser: SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wife:. What? I couldn't hear you.

😐

The rage I feel at this moment cannot be quantified.

Every. Fucking. Day.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

The shit money saga is over.

Fed just deposited balance in my bank account.

Not sure if I ever posted the pic from the day at the bank. 2 bankers taped all the money together.

9f7e2c9e281770d678f79a71fa75b1ae.jpg

Sorry hon.  Fed wouldn’t accept.  Bummer, I know.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Did they know the whole story? 

there is an entire department at the Fed that is dedicated to recovering accidentally destroyed currency.

turns out a lot of currency gets destroyed.

Fire, water damage, Dogs/cats/rats eating it, are the most common submissions, but burying the currency is up on that list as well. turns out us paper money really doesnt do well in damp acidic soil.

that department will refund you fresh money as long as they can positively ID at least 50% of each individual bill

A longer NPR story on the free service provided by the Treasury

18 hours ago, SuperSport said:

The rage I feel at this moment cannot be quantified.

Every. Fucking. Day.

I have found that the key to a successful marriage is not caring about shit.   Seriously.

If she talks to me as she is walking away, in another room, or does something so she or I can't hear each other during a conversation I just stop talking and assume it doesn't matter.

Unless the house is on fire and we need to flee, or something like that, then if it doesn't matter to her then it doesn't matter to me.   I walk away and enjoy the next moment of my life.

My normal setting is to care, but if I did then I would have multiple rage/anger moments directed at her per day...and if it is not important to her, then I am not going to make it important to me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

there is an entire department at the Fed that is dedicated to recovering accidentally destroyed currency.

turns out a lot of currency gets destroyed.

Fire, water damage, Dogs/cats/rats eating it, are the most common submissions, but burying the currency is up on that list as well. turns out us paper money really doesnt do well in damp acidic soil.

that department will refund you fresh money as long as they can positively ID at least 50% of each individual bill

A longer NPR story on the free service provided by the Treasury

Banks require MORE than 50% typically, otherwise crackheads would be cutting bills in half and doubling their income each day.

As a former bank teller at UFCU on the drag, we’d get in this pissing match with people about mutilated currency every other month or so.  We required than 50% of the bill and had to be able to identify the full serial number.  The 7 bills in the photo all would have satisfied that requirement.

• Like 1