Ahhh... tax time.

Swam@Texas

I’ve never heard anyone describe the tax code as fair so I’m not sure why you’d expect them to start now.

I also don’t know why your taxes were affected by $8000 when the tax credit for a Sonata Plug-in Hybrid is only $4919. (I’m assuming you bought the plug-in hybrid as regular hybrids stopped carrying a tax credit in 2010.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swam@Texas said:

I bought a Hyundai Sonata hybrid in May. My tax situation went from owing $7,200 before I input that purchase into TurboTax to being owed $800 after. Does anyone want to explain to me why that is "fair"?

Someone should probably explain how to properly prepare your taxes first. 

• Like 1

Idiots and TurboTax never cease to amaze me along with those that use HRB.  They work fine for simple returns but anything past that and it’s a problem. There is a reason I pay well into the 6 figures for tax software annually. 

Rocko, Sonata’s are manufactured in Alabama.

8 hours ago, DanRydell said:

I’ve never heard anyone describe the tax code as fair so I’m not sure why you’d expect them to start now.

I also don’t know why your taxes were affected by $8000 when the tax credit for a Sonata Plug-in Hybrid is only $4919. (I’m assuming you bought the plug-in hybrid as regular hybrids stopped carrying a tax credit in 2010.)

Maybe he itemized the $2500 sales tax and fat fingered an extra 0?

I bought a Hyundai Sonata hybrid in May. My tax situation went from owing $7,200 before I input that purchase into TurboTax to being owed $800 after. Does anyone want to explain to me why that is "fair"?
Think it is advance reparations compensating you for having to drive a Hyundai.

11 hours ago, Swam@Texas said:

Anyone is free to take advantage of this particular incentive. How is that not fair? 

11 hours ago, DanRydell said:

I put in the VIN number that TurboTax requested.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Anyone is free to take advantage of this particular incentive. How is that not fair? 

Oh, I agree.... it's just that everyone on the left routinely screams that our tax code isn't fair and that it unfairly rewards the rich, and yet the purchase of a specific type of "green" automobile leads to that kind of a swing in what someone owes is mind-boggling.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, DanRydell said:

I hope you don't do tax prep for a living -- or even file your own. (And I'm not sure why my number swung $8k when apparently $7,500 is the credit, but regardless, the point stands. But thanks for the crumbs, Washington!)

Important: The credits below were extended as part of a two-year budget deal signed on February 9, 2018. Therefore, you can claim them on a 2017 tax return. 

• Hyundai Sonata Plug-in Hybrid Electric, Ioniq Battery Vehicle

https://www.efile.com/tax-credit/hybrid-car-tax-credit/

Hyundai Ioniq Electric

$7,500

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/the-ins-and-outs-of-electric-vehicle-tax-credits.html

Edited by Swam@Texas
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

6 minutes ago, Swam@Texas said:

I hope you don't do tax prep for a living -- or even file your own. (And I'm not sure why my number swung $8k when apparently $7,500 is the credit, but regardless, the point stands. But thanks for the crumbs, Washington!)

Important: The credits below were extended as part of a two-year budget deal signed on February 9, 2018. Therefore, you can claim them on a 2017 tax return. 

• Hyundai Sonata Plug-in Hybrid Electric, Ioniq Battery Vehicle

https://www.efile.com/tax-credit/hybrid-car-tax-credit/

Hyundai Ioniq Electric

$7,500

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/the-ins-and-outs-of-electric-vehicle-tax-credits.html

You really are the biggest fucking liar around.  Read your OP.  So are you lying to us or are you intentionally committing fraud again?

13 hours ago, Swam@Texas said:

The Sonata Plug in hybrid gets a credit of $4,919.

The fully electric Ioniq gets a credit of $7,500.

Did you swap out the Sonata for an Ioniq this morning?  Its far more likely that you didn't buy either one.

• Like 3

I can't believe people get so damned worked up over what kind of car I drive.

Like I said, I put in the VIN number, and it generated the credit. The main point of this is that I find it amusing that those who demand that Americans pay "their fair share" have no problem knocking $8k off their tax bill if they buy a "green" car.  (Especially if you're like me and don't know/don't care if it's a "hybrid," an "Ioniq," or just happened to be a nice ride and a pretty good deal.)

But yeah, carry on with the personal attacks. As always, obsession noted. ;)

Edited by Swam@Texas
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Again, the post isn't about the kind of car I drive... it's about the fact that we demand people pay their fair share but have no problem giving an $8,000 tax credit -- and thus not demanding they pay their "fare share" for those who buy a "green" vehicle. 

But now I'm trying to figure out why the credit seemed to kick in for the fully electric when it's a hybrid. I'll get back to you on that.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Swam@Texas said:

I can't believe people get so damned worked up over what kind of car I drive.

Like I said, I put in the VIN number, and it generated the credit. The main point of this is that I find it amusing that those who demand that Americans pay "their fair share" have no problem knocking $8k off their tax bill if they buy a "green" car.  (Especially if you're like me and don't know/don't care if it's a "hybrid," an "Ioniq," or just happened to be a nice ride and a pretty good deal.)

But yeah, carry on with the personal attacks. As always, obsession noted. ;)

Even the most clueless car owners on the planet at least know the model name of their car.  Ioniq is a model.  Sonata is a different model.  

It's almost like the government is trying to incentivize a certain type of vehicle ownership which they hope will lead to lower consumption of resources and/or lower pollution thereby allowing them to save money elsewhere in other efforts. Fucking outcome based policy??? No wonder you can't understand it you fucking wannabe sailor with a medical discharge and vet benefits that somehow could still swim for a major university. Defrauding ass idiot motherfucker

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Swam@Texas said:

Again, the post isn't about the kind of car I drive... it's about the fact that we demand people pay their fair share but have no problem giving an $8,000 tax credit -- and thus not demanding they pay their "fare share" for those who buy a "green" vehicle. 

But now I'm trying to figure out why the credit seemed to kick in for the fully electric when it's a hybrid. I'll get back to you on that.  

A normal person would have just led with that and had a normal discussion regarding tax credits.  Only you would decide to make up a lie about it.  You don't have a hybrid or a fully electric vehicle so drop the act.

Aside from that, you're the asshole that bitches about "fair share," all the while defrauding the gov't. 

This tax credit is a good one because it encourages behavior that reduces pollution.

6 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Watch your corn holes, my TurboTax friends.  Just got a notice from the IRS that my 2016 return was fubar’d by TurboTax and I owe 10.9k + 20% penalty for a $13k check I got to write in a month.  

Looking at what happened, TurboTax imported a 1099 and put numbers in the wrong boxes. 

I'd think you could go after TurboTax for failing to file your taxes properly as that's their claim in advertising, right? Sure they can try and say that they aren't responsible because of some bullshit in the EULA but I doubt it'd hold up in court right?

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'd think you could go after TurboTax for failing to file your taxes properly as that's their claim in advertising, right? Sure they can try and say that they aren't responsible because of some bullshit in the EULA but I doubt it'd hold up in court right?

Yeah, good luck with that. The only way TT pays anthing is if a class action lawsuit is filed.

Although, now that I think about it, small claims court may be the way to go.

34 minutes ago, Captainant said:

8 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Yeah, good luck with that. The only way TT pays anthing is if a class action lawsuit is filed.

Although, now that I think about it, small claims court may be the way to go.

Already spoke with them.  They say they’ll pick up penalties and interest if it is a “calculation error” on their part.  I’m trying to understand what meets this criteria.  I still owe the taxes of course regardless.  

Did you put in one of those charging systems in your house/garage?

OP rents (probably weekly) or subleases, so he didn't install shit for the car he didn't buy.

Sounds like a data entry issue that TT wouldn't be responsible for. Pretty sure there is a screen to confirm that the imported info is correct.

10 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Already spoke with them.  They say they’ll pick up penalties and interest if it is a “calculation error” on their part.  I’m trying to understand what meets this criteria.  I still owe the taxes of course regardless.  

Good luck. Let us 1040 EZ poors know how it all works out.

55 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Watch your corn holes, my TurboTax friends.  Just got a notice from the IRS that my 2016 return was fubar’d by TurboTax and I owe 10.9k + 20% penalty for a $13k check I got to write in a month.  

Looking at what happened, TurboTax imported a 1099 and put numbers in the wrong boxes. 

A fake car and a fake kid will knock that down to 0.

7 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Good luck. Let us 1040 EZ poors know how it all works out.

They aren’t paying anything. It will be an input error, not a calculation error. However, I can’t come up with anything off the top of my head with a 1099 input that would cause that kind of issue unless self employment tax wasn’t calculated.

Suing, you can get out of the penalties with a little effort.

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's almost like the government is trying to incentivize a certain type of vehicle ownership which they hope will lead to lower consumption of resources and/or lower pollution thereby allowing them to save money elsewhere in other efforts. Fucking outcome based policy??? No wonder you can't understand it you fucking wannabe sailor with a medical discharge and vet benefits that somehow could still swim for a major university. Defrauding ass idiot motherfucker

Quoted for truth.  Swam needs to be deported.  The worst type of asshole.  Hypocrite through and through.  

If the rape of his mother lead to his existence I apologize profusely.  

• Like 1