Co-Worker Going To London In September, Has Questions

El Diablo

Never travelled out of the US so doesn't know how to prepare for using foreign currency. She wants to know if she should load up on Brit coin here and take it? Exchange once there? What about fees etc.. for using her US debit card/credit card? Staying 7 days, also isn't sure about what that is going to cost if being done on a tight budget so thoughts on that would be appreciated too. TIA, no pics, big hoots.

You can use a card pretty much anywhere but it's good to have some pound coins in your pocket in case you need to use a public shitter.

The currency exchange at ABIA has a decent exchange rate if you order ahead of time online. You can schedule to pick it up when you're there for your flight.  You can always use an ATM when you're there also. I dunno how the exchange rate for that works but it's probably even better.

Edited by CooterBrown

I use an ATM to get cash once there.  Rates are usually ok, and the fees are less than the money exchange places.

I use my credit card as much as possible to conserve cash for when I really need it, but my CC doesn't have a foreign transaction fee.  She should check with her credit card company on that point.

London is expensive, and if she's going to be there for 7 days she's going to spend some money.  If she's on a tight budget, she should probably spend some time doing basic research on how much things cost, like hotel, things to do, etc rather than having a co-worker ask vague questions on the internet.

• Like 4

1.  Tell her to get a no FX Fee credit card.  Chase has a number of products as does AMEX.  I use the Marriot Bonvoy Brillian AMEX, the Delta Reserve AMEX, the United Chase Visa, and the Chase Sapphire Visa.  There is also the Chase Sapphire Reserve VISA that has no FX fees.  

2.  I would not load up on British Pounds.  I would wait and get them out the ATM in London.  However, I would find out what my bank would charge.  I bank with USAA and they only charge me 1%, which is much less than anyone else would charge.  Some banks charge 3-3.5%, which could be more than some of the other banks.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I ordered 500 Pounds from my Bank America branch to have some ready walking around cash upon arrival. Then would use my BA card to make ATM withdrawals from their affiliated Brit bank.

Tell her to buy a London Pass if she wants to visit a lot of the tourist sites & venues. It’ll save a lot of time waiting in lines and offers discount entry to most places. We Ubered around with our local friends quite a bit.

Also tell her to watch the steps in the crypt at St. Paul’s. Mrs. Brat missed a short 3 steps and did a face plant onto the stone floor, breaking her wrist, nose, and injured her legs enough so she could not walk the remaining 5 days we were there. My friend got her a rental wheelchair so I could push her around to a few places after she was well enough to get out.

It was a good idea to buy the travel insurance, since we had to cancel the last 3 weeks of our trip. It paid the $1,500 upcharge British Air demanded to rebook our return flight to Austin (because we had originally booked through AAA instead of the airline), and it also covered the $3,000 Paris apartment rental that I had to forfeit.

The fish & chips at the Princess Victoria Pub in Shepherd’s Bush were damn good.

• Like 2

Might as well get some travelers checks when she's getting some pounds.  She's going to London a modern and enormous city not some place in the middle of no where.

I've never taken foreign currency to a single country.   I've always just used the first ATM I can find and it's never been an issue.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

pay for a cab, a couple of meals, and a hotel room just in case of a weird emergency.

If it's a weird enough emergency like every ATM in London is out and no one will except a credit card for meals or hotel rooms you have a lot worse problems.  By all means have some dollars you can covert for that same emergency just don't waster time and pays fees trying to acquire foreign currency in the US.

Edited by midtown

18 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Look right when crossing the street.  

Cannot be emphasized enough.  I was there last month and we met a young couple and they told us that the day before the taxi they were riding in hit a guy (an American) who looked the wrong way and just bolted out into the street.  They were going around 30 mph.  Luckily, it only broke his legs but they thought the guy was a goner.

edit:  And by no means should he rent a car unless he will be traveling exclusively in the country.  London driving would be nearly impossible for an American with all of the roundabouts, driving on the left side of the road, narrow roads, etc.  Ride the underground or walk.

Edited by HouTex

Never travelled out of the US so doesn't know how to prepare for using foreign currency. She wants to know if she should load up on Brit coin here and take it? Exchange once there? What about fees etc.. for using her US debit card/credit card? Staying 7 days, also isn't sure about what that is going to cost if being done on a tight budget so thoughts on that would be appreciated too. TIA, no pics, big hoots.

Use your card at atm's to get one of the best rates...i also find a bank in hometown that does exchange before i leave so i have some $$$ right when i land.

The budget will just depend on personal habits, but she can save $$$ if she enjoys hitting up kebab shops and other cheap local eateries. London is one the most expensive cities though.

• Like 1

If it's a weird enough emergency like every ATM in London is out and no one will except a credit card for meals or hotel rooms you have a lot worse problems.  By all means have some dollars you can covert for that same emergency just don't waster time and pays fees trying to acquire foreign currency in the US.
Depends on the rate the bank charges. I'm with brat and usually land with few hundred already on me. Im not interested in tracking down an atm as my first priority on vacation.

8 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

The budget will just depend on personal habits, but she can save $$$ if she enjoys hitting up kebab shops and other cheap local eateries. London is one the most expensive cities though.

I honestly found London eateries to be not much more expensive than Austin. Granted, I'm not going to Michelin star places but we ate for under 15 pounds a head for nearly every meal. Pubs are cheap, most of the small store front cafes and ethnic places are cheap.  It's not hard to make it affordable. 

Bank of America had a decent exchange rate and fee (about $7.50). We took about $200 in Pounds for four people/four days and came back with around £20. A contactless credit card with no foreign transaction fees is the way to go. We ended up spending our cash just because we had it, never because we needed it.

For getting around the city, an Oyster card is awesome. It lets you tap in and tap out at any tube station and bus. There is a daily max that may be around £10 if she stays in the touristy areas of London. I hear Uber works well but we never needed it.

18 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

If she has yet to do so, have her check her phone plan too. Some carriers are better now but you can still get hit with surprise charges if you don't look into it first.

Good point, I've passed this along. I think she's going to consider getting a vpn and  using WhatsApp.

Good point, I've passed this along. I think she's going to consider getting a vpn and  using WhatsApp.
Last time I was there, I bought a prepaid sim for like 25 pounds. It was good for 30 days and had like 10gig if data. From there, you can use what's app or whatever to text/call back to the States. You just have to make sure your phone is unlocked with your carrier before going.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Last time I was there, I bought a prepaid sim for like 25 pounds. It was good for 30 days and had like 10gig if data. From there, you can use what's app or whatever to text/call back to the States. You just have to make sure your phone is unlocked with your carrier before going.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think if she was going to be there longer she might go this route. When I brought up the phone she mentioned that she'd considered doing this.

I honestly found London eateries to be not much more expensive than Austin. Granted, I'm not going to Michelin star places but we ate for under 15 pounds a head for nearly every meal. Pubs are cheap, most of the small store front cafes and ethnic places are cheap.  It's not hard to make it affordable. 
Agreed, thats what i meant by local places, the places locals frequent, pubs, kebab shops, etc...are going to be best bet just about anywhere you travel to... For budget travelling at least

14 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Agreed, thats what i meant by local places, the places locals frequent, pubs, kebab shops, etc...are going to be best bet just about anywhere you travel to... For budget travelling at least

She's got a reservation at a Gordon Ramsey restaurant but is planning to slum it the rest of the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Austinvines said:

Bank of America had a decent exchange rate and fee (about $7.50). We took about $200 in Pounds for four people/four days and came back with around £20. A contactless credit card with no foreign transaction fees is the way to go. We ended up spending our cash just because we had it, never because we needed it.

For getting around the city, an Oyster card is awesome. It lets you tap in and tap out at any tube station and bus. There is a daily max that may be around £10 if she stays in the touristy areas of London. I hear Uber works well but we never needed it.

Apple Pay and Google Pay also work on the tube. Just tap your phone and go - no need to charge an Oyster card.

Almost everyone will accept a contactless credit card in London. Apple/Google Pay will work If you don't have a contactless card.

1 hour ago, mycox said:

Apple Pay and Google Pay also work on the tube. Just tap your phone and go - no need to charge an Oyster card.

Almost everyone will accept a contactless credit card in London. Apple/Google Pay will work If you don't have a contactless card.

Good stuff. I honestly have no idea how much research she's done in her planning and don't know if the tube has even crossed her mind. I suspect she's thinking double decker buses maybe and Uber. It might be a hurdle for someone who's never used mass transit but I'll definitely encourage it just for the experience. And of course the convenience of touchless cards.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Good stuff. I honestly have no idea how much research she's done in her planning and don't know if the tube has even crossed her mind. I suspect she's thinking double decker buses maybe and Uber. It might be a hurdle for someone who's never used mass transit but I'll definitely encourage it just for the experience. And of course the convenience of touchless cards.

Is she a frittata?  Somewhat regarded?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I think if she was going to be there longer she might go this route. When I brought up the phone she mentioned that she'd considered doing this.

Makes sense. I was there for about 10 days,  so the cost of that vs the international plan with AT&T made it worth it. Where it saved my as was navigating around. Google Maps is helpful with which tube line and stops to take too. 

Read the London thread.

Find a bank ATM and the fees are minimal. I usually take out $200-$300gpb at a time and the fees are less than $10.

Don’t use Uber. London Taxi drivers are awesome but even on a budget, nothing beats an Oyster card with unlimited zone 1 and 2 access for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Makes sense. I was there for about 10 days,  so the cost of that vs the international plan with AT&T made it worth it. Where it saved my as was navigating around. Google Maps is helpful with which tube line and stops to take too. 

I told her to stay off of her goddamned phone anyway, she isn't going there so she can call the US and say "I'M IN LONDON!!!". 

Instead of Google Maps, download City Mapper. It makes Google Maps look like MapQuest circa ‘99. It’s only for a few cities, but London is one of them.

2 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Read the London thread.

Find a bank ATM and the fees are minimal. I usually take out $200-$300gpb at a time and the fees are less than $10.

Don’t use Uber. London Taxi drivers are awesome but even on a budget, nothing beats an Oyster card with unlimited zone 1 and 2 access for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used the MyTaxi app a few times last year when we specifically needed a black cab. Works the same as Uber, but is linked to the authorized cab system. They are rebranded under the name FREENOW. 

Otherwise, the tubes and busses are the way to go. 

• 3 years later...