Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

spacer.png

Roschon Johnson? Clearly he has his pulse on the finger of the UT roster. And by that, I mean he doesn’t even have the understanding of a casual football fan from the Midwest’s knowledge of the Texas roster, even just at QB. God he’s fucking stupid. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I will take away from this update that Looch will spin Klubnik as a superior arm talent for Jimbo's offense when Ewers inevitably ignores the fuck out of them. All reports indicate that he's vetting offensive systems, and the aggy scheme ain't it

Ewers not into running Jimbo's historical re-enactment offense?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

HammLite with a Banks CB ::

I am putting one in for national top-100 class of 2022 offensive tackle Kelvin Banks.

Banks had been an early Oklahoma State commit, making that pledge during the season, before backing off of that last weekend. Even before the decommitment, A&M was in good shape. He has long been a fan of the program and, when he was offered a month ago, it was a big one for him.

One of the reasons that Banks liked Oklahoma State was the small-town feel of Stillwater. It reminded him a bit of Humble, where it felt small but still had the city conveniences. That is obviously similar to College Station as well.

He does not plan to commit again anywhere until next summer and, since it is early, I'm leaving the confidence level at 'Medium' with a 6, but I think he eventually ends up on the Aggie commitment list. Texas is working really hard there with LSU, USC and Oregon also being really involved. But, the Aggies have done a good job building a relationship already and he had liked them even before.

I think there's a good chance that both Humble ISD tackles - Banks and Kam Dewberry - end up at A&M. I actually feel a little better about the Banks prediction, though.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kelvin-Banks-46082828/

On 7/16/2020 at 12:30 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I will take away from this update that Looch will spin Klubnik as a superior arm talent for Jimbo's offense when Ewers inevitably ignores the fuck out of them. All reports indicate that he's vetting offensive systems, and the aggy scheme ain't it

I think Simpson will probably be our guy. Could be wrong. Not hearing anything on Ewers.

HammLite with a Banks CB ::

I am putting one in for national top-100 class of 2022 offensive tackle Kelvin Banks.
Banks had been an early Oklahoma State commit, making that pledge during the season, before backing off of that last weekend. Even before the decommitment, A&M was in good shape. He has long been a fan of the program and, when he was offered a month ago, it was a big one for him.
One of the reasons that Banks liked Oklahoma State was the small-town feel of Stillwater. It reminded him a bit of Humble, where it felt small but still had the city conveniences. That is obviously similar to College Station as well.
He does not plan to commit again anywhere until next summer and, since it is early, I'm leaving the confidence level at 'Medium' with a 6, but I think he eventually ends up on the Aggie commitment list. Texas is working really hard there with LSU, USC and Oregon also being really involved. But, the Aggies have done a good job building a relationship already and he had liked them even before.
I think there's a good chance that both Humble ISD tackles - Banks and Kam Dewberry - end up at A&M. I actually feel a little better about the Banks prediction, though.
https://247sports.com/Player/Kelvin-Banks-46082828/

Isn’t he a tackle? aggy doesn’t take tackles, stupid hammlite

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He would be your day 1 starter

I'm not to his tape, yet, but the staff seems to really like him. I doubt he's a day 1 starter, though. Stowers and King both (especially stowers, if healthy) offer a lot of upside, at least compared to Mond. Thankfully he'll be gone by then.

7 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

I think Simpson will probably be our guy. Could be wrong. Not hearing anything on Ewers.

I think you guys will sign 2 in 2022. I think you'll have a QB room of King and Stowers. Maybe Jimbo finds a way to keep Foster there but that would still leave a need for 2 in 2022. I could see Simpson and Klubnik as a two-man class. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Isn’t he a tackle? aggy doesn’t take tackles, stupid hammlite

Lol. We take everyone 6'4 and under and pray one of them turns into a tackle. You wonder why we wanted Shepherd so much? That was a big part of it. Sick of an OL consisting of a group of right guards.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:02 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Roschon Johnson? Clearly he has his pulse on the finger of the UT roster. And by that, I mean he doesn’t even have the understanding of a casual football fan from the Midwest’s knowledge of the Texas roster, even just at QB. God he’s fucking stupid. 

You'd think someone that spends as much time talking about UT and Herman would have a basic understanding that Johnson is now a RB, and pretty good one at that, and will have no claims on the 2021 QB job. I'm guessing Card claims the job, Thompson portals, Jackson moves to a different position, and Milroe RS's.

8 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

I'm not to his tape, yet, but the staff seems to really like him. I doubt he's a day 1 starter, though. Stowers and King both (especially stowers, if healthy) offer a lot of upside, at least compared to Mond. Thankfully he'll be gone by then.

Don't all 3 have questionable arm talent, especially the arm talent needed for Jimbo's 20 year old offense?

1 minute ago, jordanaggie said:

Lol. We take everyone 6'4 and under and pray one of them turns into a tackle. You wonder why we wanted Shepherd so much? That was a big part of it. Sick of an OL consisting of a group of right guards.

I kind of don't have the heart to tell you that it's Jimbo that is the constant in that philosophy. He continues to hire guys like Trickett and Henson, guys that have always had long, lean, athletic zone blocking guys on their lines -- and then he continues to have those guys take a pack of 6'3" 330 lb straight line maulers that can't move laterally. (the entire 2020 class, for instance). 

If I were you I'd be fucking amped about Wykoff. I love a TE turned OT and I think he's got a skillset that you simply don't have on the roster at all. Zuhn is a good take as well, but Wykoff is the prize in this OL class, imo. 

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Don't all 3 have questionable arm talent, especially the arm talent needed for Jimbo's 20 year old offense?

Valid question, for sure. Mond lacks it, yes. People didn't think King had a strong arm, but he showed out well at elite 11. Would have liked to have seen more of that in games. Stowers threw well before his injury and put up good numbers. Not Aaron rogers (or Behren Morton), but probably good enough 

It seems like we take athletes that play qb. I wish we would take qbs that had some athletic ability. King might fit that mold better.

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I kind of don't have the heart to tell you that it's Jimbo that is the constant in that philosophy. He continues to hire guys like Trickett and Henson, guys that have always had long, lean, athletic zone blocking guys on their lines -- and then he continues to have those guys take a pack of 6'3" 330 lb straight line maulers that can't move laterally. (the entire 2020 class, for instance). 

If I were you I'd be fucking amped about Wykoff. I love a TE turned OT and I think he's got a skillset that you simply don't have on the roster at all. Zuhn is a good take as well, but Wykoff is the prize in this OL class, imo. 

I like wykoff but liked Zuhn better. And fatheree the most. Really wish we could flip the mizzou commit Tollison. Just happy they are legit OT size and have some experience. It's insane.

The scheme is my biggest worry, along with Jimbo's historically shitty OLs at fsu. Doesn't instill much confidence that we'll ever get it right.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Stowers has a lot of velocity and certainly has enough arm talent but his mechanics are all over the place and he rarely throws the same way twice. King doesn't have enough velo and just isn't a great scheme fit for that offense. Simpson has more than enough, assuming you were asking about him.  

I expect Stowers to be the guy. Despite any mechanical issues he simply doesn't turn the ball over. There's a lot to be said for being wildly athletic and NOT turning the ball over. 

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Stowers has a lot of velocity and certainly has enough arm talent but his mechanics are all over the place and he rarely throws the same way twice. King doesn't have enough velo and just isn't a great scheme fit for that offense. Simpson has more than enough, assuming you were asking about him.  

I expect Stowers to be the guy. Despite any mechanical issues he simply doesn't turn the ball over. There's a lot to be said for being wildly athletic and NOT turning the ball over. 

King played a west coast offense in HS. Arm strength is certainly the biggest question mark.

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Funny, it's reverse order for me. 

My OL eval skills arent always great. I love Fatheree due to size and feet. We've just been so short on both. He needs to focus more on football and not basketball, but if he can keep his feet and get a little more good weight, I like his potential.

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think all of aggies QBs suck 

Well, the roster isn't exactly stacked. Mond is underwhelming, clearly. Foster and Calzada don't see much time, and don't seem to make much of it when they get playing time. I'm not sure Calzada isnt the best in the room. His arm talent is the best by a wide margin.

14 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

Well, the roster isn't exactly stacked. Mond is underwhelming, clearly. Foster and Calzada don't see much time, and don't seem to make much of it when they get playing time. I'm not sure Calzada isnt the best in the room. His arm talent is the best by a wide margin.

Dickey told a QB recruit that Calzada won’t be starting ever due to him not having the knowledge of the offense and he can’t read a defense. 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

No, I was speaking about Mond, King, and Stowers. Stowers is easily the best of the 3, but like you said his mechanics are awful and is coming off of an injury. Will be interesting to see if he gets a RS, when the room is going to be Blumrick, Foster, Calzada, King, and himself. 

16 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

I meant the future QBs. Mond can be pretty good if he’s allowed to run, although it seems like Jimbo holds him back, probably to avoid tanking the season due to an injury 

I’d be concerned about Calzada’s accuracy numbers. Similar to LSU signee Max Johnson’s. It’s actually pretty rare to get more accurate from high school to college in terms of numbers

Simpson is a stud, we’ll see if you land him; he’s in the heart of the SEC, and should be a difficult pull.

2 hours ago, jordanaggie said:

Valid question, for sure. Mond lacks it, yes. People didn't think King had a strong arm, but he showed out well at elite 11. Would have liked to have seen more of that in games. Stowers threw well before his injury and put up good numbers. Not Aaron rogers (or Behren Morton), but probably good enough 

It seems like we take athletes that play qb. I wish we would take qbs that had some athletic ability. King might fit that mold better.

Similar to Jimbo's OL recruiting, I'll never understand his QB recruiting. He recruits almost primarily dual threat guys, but then beats the running out of them when they get to campus and considers the QB running a failure of his offense, so he's left with dudes who have issues passing the ball, but he doesn't let them make up for it with their legs. If he's going to coach that way he should just be going after the best pocket passer he can find, but he never does. 

34 minutes ago, Fud said:

Simpson is a stud, we’ll see if you land him; he’s in the heart of the SEC, and should be a difficult pull.

Yeah, this. Simpson is going to be a monster. His hs tape is just fun to watch, and since I don't eval qb's, that's about all I can hope for. Looks like a Stafford/Watson mashup. He'll end up at Florida if Pruitt doesn't buy him first.

Watch 2:28

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11111907/5d767c06c11a2b0d28ef2119

All of the aggy qbs have accuracy issues. King was a disaster his senior year. Just awful. I watched the whole game against John Tyler on TV, and it was some of the worst quarterbacking I have ever seen by a legitimate recruit. Juan Davis would have been better. You don't really know what you have in Stowers. PCL surgery is no joke, you have no idea how the cadaveric tissue is going to react, or if the graft will hold with his play style. 

The biggest issue over there is there's not one qb on the roster who can effectively run the offense. Not one. Jimbo doesn't even recruit the guys that could do it. Imagine a guy like Nussmeier or Robertson walking in there with a spring to prepare. And then imagine if he didn't have to run for his life behind cube city. It might actually work! 

Alas, no. 

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is this a legit possibility or a typical early Perroni pick that gets changed in a year?

Probably a Texas vs aggy race but don’t think it’s a coincidence that he decommitted right after talking to Texas

On 7/16/2020 at 12:26 PM, RGBIII said:

What is the point of mentioning Zach Evans.....? Did he just forget that he went to TCU? Is this old?

I’m glad he wasn’t just me. Felt like I was taking crazy pills for a minute, then I remembered how Billy likes to run off names 5-7 at a time. And let’s not forget, had the decision been up to him, Evans would have been in maroon and white.  Pesky hanger ons getting in the way and all that. 

Oof. Sounds like aggy told Bobby Taylor they were done at CB in this cycle and that when they added another they pissed him off 

Drumm ::

However, without giving any details, Texas A&M appears to be out at this time. The Aggies will have some ground to cover if they want to make amends. Taylor will now explore other options.

HammLite ::

Taylor is aware of depth charts and watches recruiting closely. I’m not sure why but I believe he expected A&M to be pretty much done at DB in the 2021 class. But that was never going to be the case. Again though, it’s still a year out of when he says he plans to commit

Hattersly ::

Like Brian said I think this is something that can be smoothed over, especially over the next year.

He has been very focused on what A&M is doing in the secondary this cycle and does keep an eye on depth charts. He wants to get on the field early, and does every other kid, so the concern from his perspective is just if A&M takes a lot of DBs this cycle what that would mean for him going forward. I think that is something that can be ironed out with him, but will really be the biggest thing A&M has to answer over the next year or so.

further Hatt ::

His concern and this was something he mentioned earlier this month is if A&M takes 4-5 DBs, those guys will have a year's headstart on him to get on the field by the time he arrives. What A&M will have to hammer home is that he can still come in and win a job early over those guys who are in the 2021 class. It's not linear, we've seen that. The guys A&M has added to the 2021 class are going to have to battle for spots too. I think this is something you can smooth over for sure though.

• Like 2