Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

We didn't, Gerry had an interesting note about that today: 

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.2b26801710aa6efacd532eda5d412949.png

I'm not sure exactly what to make of "he said, and I'm not going to quote him" though. 

Probably just that it's not an exact quote - something like "I know I'm too raw and need to do x, y, z to be at the level they're looking at"

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Probably just that it's not an exact quote - something like "I know I'm too raw and need to do x, y, z to be at the level they're looking at"

“...and aggy doesn’t throw to WRs, so it doesn’t matter there.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah probably right it just seemed weird to me that Gerry wouldn't just use the direct quote if he was going to paraphrase it to "I'm just not good enough". 

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Oh man... 

Wants to find a real WR developer - chooses Dameyune Craig. 

awkward britney spears GIF by X Factor Global

And to top it all off, he’s a small speed receiver playing in Jimbo’s system. Has Jimbo ever meaningfully utilized a guy like that? For someone who’s dad is a high level track coach, you’d think he and his family would be better at identifying a bad situation. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

44 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah probably right it just seemed weird to me that Gerry wouldn't just use the direct quote if he was going to paraphrase it to "I'm just not good enough". 

I think Sategna was ticked off at Texas and used some epithets that Gerry didn't want to put in a public note.

(If correct - if he cared that much about Texas not offering - we may have the option of circling back to him, if required.)

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

I think Sategna was ticked off at Texas and used some epithets that Gerry didn't want to put in a public note.

(If correct - if he cared that much about Texas not offering - we may have the option of circling back to him, if required.)

He’s not mad. “I don’t think I’m on their level.” or something akin to that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Spoiler
Liucci
Staff
AG
At different times during Jimbo Fisher's first three seasons at the helm, Texas A&M has lost games thanks in large part to the fact that they didn't have enough speed at the skill spots to threaten defenses on the perimeter, deep down the field or simply with enough game-breakers touching the football. On the flip side, the Aggie defense saw a steady diet of nightmare one-on-one matchups when lining up against the likes of Bama, Clemson and LSU.  

The mission since arriving for Fisher and Mike Elko has been a rapid upgrade in the speed and athleticism department at both wide receiver and in the secondary. This is particularly true at wideout, where the Ags simply haven't had enough elite-level playmakers touching the football and have lacked game-changing speed. Ainias Smith has been an All-SEC-caliber exception, and we saw what a true home-run hitter was capable of in Fisher's offense when true freshman tailback Devon Achane won the Orange Bowl MVP in about four minutes of work.

For Fisher, Darrell Dickey and Dameyune Craig, Ainias and Achane represent the tip of the iceberg. On Tuesday, the Aggies took a very big step towards addressing that very specific need - and also added to what the folks in Bright believe will be an exceptional overall haul at the wide receiver position - when Isaiah Sategna chose the Maroon & White.

The Fayetteville, Arkansas, product is the type of talent who could have a very early if not immediate impact on the A&M offense, much like Smith did two seasons ago and Achane did last fall. Why? Because he brings one of the few things to the table that the Aggies are lacking. Sategna has game-changing speed and is capable of threatening a defense both vertically and by turning simple grabs into big plays after the catch Pure electricity when you pop on the tape and anytime he's on the track, which is exactly why Isaiah managed to separate himself in the eyes of the A&M staff and claim one of the precious spots at the position in the Ags' Class of 2022. The two-sport star has a skill-set that sets him apart, plain and simple.

On the football field, the 5-11, 170-pounder caught 41 passes for 814 yards and 7 touchdowns as a junior and has over 1,500 yards and 76 catches to his credit on two years on varsity. He was the 7A Offensive Newcomer of the Year in Arkansas as a sophomore and is considered the No. 1 prospect in the state, which means that the Aggies have gone into enemy territory and grabbed the top-ranked recruit in the Natural State for the third straight year. Sategna possesses true breakaway speed, the kind that will make him next-to-impossible to keep up with when he's able to get a step in one-on-one coverage. We're talking about a true 'take the top off' threat, something that's been missing in the Aggie offense since Christian Kirk played his final game in Maroon & White (with a newly-hired Jimbo Fisher watching from a suite at the Belk Bowl). Isaiah also shows excellent hands, finds and adjusts to the football and he possesses next-level quickness. Like Kirk, he's the type of versatile weapon who could be equally effective lining up outside and blowing past would-be cover men or creating matchup nightmares operating as a slot.

Sategna ultimately chose the Ags over a list of ten finalists that also featured Arkansas, USC, Florida State, Oregon, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Baylor, South Carolina and Texas Tech. He also holds offers from the likes of Auburn, Penn State, Tennessee, Michigan and Ole Miss with plenty more to come if teams are able to make the spring rounds or when the national top-250 (and rising) prospect set the track on fire over the next two months.

Isaiah's track pedigree is second to none, which is why track and field is where he first emerged as a rising star. His parents both competed at LSU under now-A&M head coach Pat Henry. His mother, Dahlia, was a sprinter for the Tigers who went on to compete in the '92 Olympics for Jamaica, and Mario Sategna currently serves as an assistant track coach at Arkansas. As a freshman (his sophomore season was essentially wiped out last spring due to the pandemic), Isaiah recorded bests of 10.80 in the 100, 21.93 in the 200, 49.93 in the 400, 14.61 in the 110 hurdles and 37.67 in the 300 hurdles. The 300 hurdle time was the fifth-fastest in America by a high school freshman since 2000. Sategna also set the indoor state long jump record, leaping 24-1.5", a distance good for seventh nationally. The mark fell just 3.5 inches shy of the national freshman record set all the way back in 1996. Currently competing as a sophomore, Isaiah has a chance to set as many as six state records en route to likely graduating from Fayetteville High as the most decorated track and field athlete of all-time. Like Devon Achane in 2020 and Bryce Foster in 2021, Sategna will compete for Pat Henry's national championship program during the football off-season.

The newest addition to A&M's Class of '22 pushes the total number of pledges to eight. He joins Clear Springs' Noah Thomas at receiver, where the Ags are likely to ink four pass-catchers this cycle. Receiver is considered a pressing need for the Aggies this go 'round, and nothing would make Fisher and Craig happier than to eventually add a couple of names from a list that includes Suwanee, Georgia stud Kojo Antwi, Spearman speedster Brenen Thompson and Fort Bend Marshall's Chris Marshall to the class. Just imagine for a moment Sategna, Thompson (he of the 10.18 100) and Achane and you can see what has Jimbo (and Henry, for that matter) so excited about the possibilities. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting post by Tarp

Spoiler

I listened to Chris Simms' podcast on his evaluations of college quarterbacks for the upcoming NFL Draft and he's generated a lot of buzz concerning his comments on Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond. He ranks Mond fourth among this year's crop which puts him in the first round of the draft and given the fact that Mond is generally rated as a second or third day guy...well, you can see why people have been talking.

However, in my opinion the most interesting aspect of his comments weren't about Mond's draft stock, at least as someone who covers A&M football. Mond was inconsistent throughout his A&M career and much of the blame for the struggles of the offense and passing game during his four years in Aggieland was laid at his feet by fans and other observers....at least until Mond turned in a quality senior campaign.

Simms had a different take.

"When I looked at the struggles of their offense ... I didn't come away going, 'Kellen Mond was the problem,'" he stated during his analysis of Mond's abilities.

Okay..well, then what was the problem?

"The only negative I come to with Kellen Mond is, I wish he'd play a little more backyard football," Simms stated. "He's a really good athlete, but I think he's trying to do the right thing in the Jimbo Fisher system and go through the reads."

"I'm not going to lie, I'm not blown away by Jimbo Fisher's offense, too. I think it's a little predictable. You can kind of see it on film at times where defenses are all over there concepts and [Mond] still throws strikes in there, whether it's against Florida or Alabama and doing those type of things."

This is an interesting take because while A&M has twice finished among the top four teams in the SEC in total offense and scoring offense during Fisher's three years in College Station, it's been largely due to a running game that's produced a couple of 1,000 yard rushers in Trayveon Williams and Isaiah Spiller.

The passing game has been a different story. While Mond was the Senior Bowl MVP, he hasn't thrown to a single wideout that's playing in the NFL. He's had Jace Sternberger drafted at TE and Jalen Wydermyer has been even better (he's got to be the favorite for the Mackey Award next fall).

Not only that, while A&M has brought in three consecutive recruiting classes ranked in the top ten of the 247 Sports Composite, the most highly rated receivers in his four classes in Aggieland...Jalen Preston, Kam Brown, Dylan Wright, and Demond Demas....have combined to catch 18 passes. Brown and Wright both left the program after two years.

There's also been an inability to get the ball down the field during the last three seasons. None of the players who have been on the outside have averaged more than 13 yards per reception and Sternberger and Wydermeyer both led the team in average per catch from 2018-20. I wrote yesterday about how Alabama's foursome of Jaylen Waddle, Henry Ruggs III, DeVonta Smith, and Jerrry Jeudy averaged 15 to 19 yards per catch in 2018 and 2019 and LSU's wideouts averaged 16 to 21 yards per reception in 2019. However, even when those guys as well as their quarterbacks began leaving for the NFL, both the Tide and Tigers still had three players average 15 yards or better per reception in 2020.

A&M has specifically recruited players for the X, H, and Z and so they've taken guys who had size or might have been quicker for two of those spots. They've started to recruit track guys this go round as I mentioned yesterday who are in the 6 foot size range who might get in and out of their breaks a tad quicker and can get downfield in a hurry.

But Alabama and LSU run a lot of spread concepts and A&M tends to run a lot of different things. Fisher wants to run the ball, build off of that, and run more timing based routes. He may have been limited by some of his personnel in the passing game and pass protection during his time at A&M but it's still interesting that the four highest rated receivers in the 2018-20 have yet to make an impact. A&M has had some issues too via injuries to Caleb Chapman, Hezekiah Jones, and Camron Buckley but only Jones was a highly rated (and he missed nearly 1.5 seasons due to an achilles injury).

A&M found ways to run the ball despite not having highly rated players in the offensive line. It's had more problems having the types of passing attacks that we've seen from Alabama and LSU and personnel hasn't been as a limiting problem as you think.

The Aggies are recruiting more speed in the 2022 class and they're take as many guys as they can in the class to try to upgrade the roster in that regard. However, it will also be interesting to see if they can perhaps implement more concepts (or maybe less of them if that's the problem) to get more out of the passing game, especially with a first year starter at quarterback and a revamped offensive line in 2021.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Interesting post by Tarp

Hide contents

I listened to Chris Simms' podcast on his evaluations of college quarterbacks for the upcoming NFL Draft and he's generated a lot of buzz concerning his comments on Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond. He ranks Mond fourth among this year's crop which puts him in the first round of the draft and given the fact that Mond is generally rated as a second or third day guy...well, you can see why people have been talking.

However, in my opinion the most interesting aspect of his comments weren't about Mond's draft stock, at least as someone who covers A&M football. Mond was inconsistent throughout his A&M career and much of the blame for the struggles of the offense and passing game during his four years in Aggieland was laid at his feet by fans and other observers....at least until Mond turned in a quality senior campaign.

"When I looked at the struggles of their offense ... I didn't come away going, 'Kellen Mond was the problem,'" he stated during his analysis of Mond's abilities.

"The only negative I come to with Kellen Mond is, I wish he'd play a little more backyard football," Simms stated. "He's a really good athlete, but I think he's trying to do the right thing in the Jimbo Fisher system and go through the reads."

"I'm not going to lie, I'm not blown away by Jimbo Fisher's offense, too. I think it's a little predictable. You can kind of see it on film at times where defenses are all over there concepts and [Mond] still throws strikes in there, whether it's against Florida or Alabama and doing those type of things."

This is an interesting take because while A&M has twice finished among the top four teams in the SEC in total offense and scoring offense during Fisher's three years in College Station, it's been largely due to a running game that's produced a couple of 1,000 yard rushers in Trayveon Williams and Isaiah Spiller.

The passing game has been a different story. While Mond was the Senior Bowl MVP, he hasn't thrown to a single wideout that's playing in the NFL. He's had Jace Sternberger drafted at TE and Jalen Wydermyer has been even better (he's got to be the favorite for the Mackey Award next fall).

Not only that, while A&M has brought in three consecutive recruiting classes ranked in the top ten of the 247 Sports Composite, the most highly rated receivers in his four classes in Aggieland...Jalen Preston, Kam Brown, Dylan Wright, and Demond Demas....have combined to catch 18 passes. Brown and Wright both left the program after two years.

There's also been an inability to get the ball down the field during the last three seasons. None of the players who have been on the outside have averaged more than 13 yards per reception and Sternberger and Wydermeyer both led the team in average per catch from 2018-20. I wrote yesterday about how Alabama's foursome of Jaylen Waddle, Henry Ruggs III, DeVonta Smith, and Jerrry Jeudy averaged 15 to 19 yards per catch in 2018 and 2019 and LSU's wideouts averaged 16 to 21 yards per reception in 2019. However, even when those guys as well as their quarterbacks began leaving for the NFL, both the Tide and Tigers still had three players average 15 yards or better per reception in 2020.

A&M has specifically recruited players for the X, H, and Z and so they've taken guys who had size or might have been quicker for two of those spots. They've started to recruit track guys this go round as I mentioned yesterday who are in the 6 foot size range who might get in and out of their breaks a tad quicker and can get downfield in a hurry.

But Alabama and LSU run a lot of spread concepts and A&M tends to run a lot of different things. Fisher wants to run the ball, build off of that, and run more timing based routes. He may have been limited by some of his personnel in the passing game and pass protection during his time at A&M but it's still interesting that the four highest rated receivers in the 2018-20 have yet to make an impact. A&M has had some issues too via injuries to Caleb Chapman, Hezekiah Jones, and Camron Buckley but only Jones was a highly rated (and he missed nearly 1.5 seasons due to an achilles injury).

A&M found ways to run the ball despite not having highly rated players in the offensive line. It's had more problems having the types of passing attacks that we've seen from Alabama and LSU and personnel hasn't been as a limiting problem as you think.

The Aggies are recruiting more speed in the 2022 class and they're take as many guys as they can in the class to try to upgrade the roster in that regard. However, it will also be interesting to see if they can perhaps implement more concepts (or maybe less of them if that's the problem) to get more out of the passing game, especially with a first year starter at quarterback and a revamped offensive line in 2021.

Actual facts and no shots at Texas or Simms as a former 'Sip.   That's not Tarp.  

4 hours ago, Fud said:

Interesting post by Tarp

Hide contents

Didn't realize Dylan Wright portaled out. 

ANDREW HATTERSLEY:  Recruiting intel on A&M targets from loaded DFW Under Armour Camp

Spoiler

Recruiting intel on A&M targets from loaded DFW Under Armour Camp
ANDREW HATTERSLEY

The Under Armour camp series made its next stop in Arlington on Sunday afternoon. As expected, the camp was loaded with many of the top prospects from Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana all converging on Arlington Martin High School.

As part of the camp, prospects went through testing inside before moving outside to take part in drills and one-on-one matchups.  

GigEm247’s Andrew Hattersley and Brian Perroni were both in attendance on Sunday and caught up with numerous A&M commits and key Aggie targets.

Here is a look at a few notes and takeaways from the day with more updates to come throughout the week.

-One of the best performances of the day came courtesy of John Paul II cornerback Terrance Brooks, who earned an Under Armour All-America game invite following the camp. Texas A&M is among the schools showing heavy interest in Brooks along with Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Notre Dame, Oregon and others.

The Aggies have ramped up contact with Brooks since the beginning of the year and made clear to Brooks he is a perfect fit in their defense. Brooks plans to cut down his list in the next month or so before making a decision sometime this summer.

-The Aggies have also made a move of late with five-star offensive tackle Devon Campbell. A&M went from outside Campbell’s top 16 to being included in his latest top group of schools along with LSU, Alabama, Florida State, Houston, Oklahoma, Texas and USC.

As for what allowed the Aggies to make up some ground lately, Campbell pointed to the persistent efforts of Josh Henson, who continued to recruit Campbell despite the Aggies not making his initial list of top schools. Campbell said he does not have a timeline in mind for when he plans to make a decision but does want to get out and take some visits once the dead period is lifted.

-Another key target along the offensive line is Frisco offensive guard Cole Hutson. The four-star offensive lineman has been in frequent contact with Josh Henson and is building a strong relationship with the A&M offensive line coach. With the dead period continuing to drag on, Hutson has already gone on a few self-guided visits to Texas A&M and most recently Texas. Hutson would like to cut down his list near the end of the dead period so he can begin to identify where he wants to take official visits to.

-Moving to the defensive side of the ball, 2022 Carthage linebacker Kip Lewis is still in the process of learning about all the schools that have extended offers in the past few months. The four-star linebacker said it has been a crazy stretch as he has dealt with the flurry of interest that has come his way.

The Aggies were among the schools to extend an offer and Lewis said he has gotten to know Tyler Santucci well over the past few months, though they have not spoken specifically about where he fits into the defense. Once the dead period is lifted, Lewis says he plans to get out on quite a few visits including to Notre Dame and Texas A&M.

-It has also been a busy couple of months for 2023 four-star defensive tackle Jordan Renaud, who has collected offers from Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Arizona State and Baylor over the past few weeks. Renaud plans to take quite a few visits once the dead period is lifted, with Texas A&M, Miami and Florida State among the early schools he plans to visit. Similar to Lewis, the recruiting process has moved pretty quickly over the past few months, so right now I think he is still in the process of learning about all the schools.

-Four-star Texas A&M commit Hunter Erb was among the Aggie pledges in action this afternoon and impressed in the limited time that was open to the media. It’s been a little over a month since Erb announced his commitment to the Aggies and he has quickly built a close relationship with the coaches and rest of the commits over the past month. The process moved quickly for Erb, who said he has developed a good family feel with Josh Henson and enjoyed the conversations they have had. Erb plans to take his official visit along with the rest of the A&M commits potentially sometime in June but isn’t sure when yet.

-Two other prospects eyeing official visits to A&M are Jarred Kerr and Kelvin Banks. Many recruits are operating under the expectation that the dead period will be lifted at the end of May and have planned accordingly. Kerr told 247Sports he currently has an official visit scheduled for June 11 while Kelvin Banks also has a pair of official visits scheduled to Oklahoma State on June 11 and A&M on June 18. A&M commit Bobby Taylor and Isaiah Sategna are also currently scheduled to take their official visits on June 4. 

-The 2023 receiver class in Texas is loaded with a number of really good prospects. Two names to keep in mind are North Richland wideout Ashton Cozart and North Mesquite wide receiver Cordale Russell. Neither have A&M offers yet but both prospects have started to generate some buzz on the recruiting trail and were a few of the top performers at the receiver position on Sunday afternoon.

-With numerous DeSoto prospects in action on Sunday afternoon, five-star A&M signee Shemar Turner was also out supporting his teammates as he prepares to head to Aggieland in a few months. After taking a little bit of time off following the season, Turner said he has been working out three times per day this spring as he prepares to arrive at A&M in May.

--GigEm247's Brian Perroni contributed to this report

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Either IT or Perroni is going to have some explaining to do in regards to Banks.

And lulz at the "you just aren't ready to play against the best" if you don't play in the SEC.  

Yeah but it’s true. Did you see how shitty Ossai and Collins looked this year? Oh wait...

That whole conversation above is more interesting when you watch the video interview. confirmation bias in effect. 

It feels like Hamm Lite has run with the info he got from Banks right after his decommitment and can't give any weight to new or different info. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

TUCK FEXAS is even more ghey than "Tee Ewe" 

Jesus they're retarded 

It’s beyond stupid. Even middle schoolers would be like “what?!?? Tuck Fexas!?!? What kind of half ass joke is that? Is that supposed to be a joke?” 

Spoiler
How would you describe Jimbo's coaching philosophy? To me it seems that he is both a tough, old school coach, but he is also a player's coach. The thing that really stands out to me after following him for several years now is that he really loves his players, and they love him.

There's no doubt Jimbo loves his players, and that's something that also really helps him on the recruiting trail. It's genuine and it's easy to see for prospects and parents alike. And, yes, he is a tough coach who demands excellence from his players, coaches and the team. It's hard but also very rewarding work. There's a reason the track record and resume are what they are.

Name a few former players who have the ability to be college or pro assistants and ultimately head coaches and why?

I've not put a ton of thought into this one but there are so many in the profession right now. Jerrod Johnson is a name that stands out as far as someone who is just coming up through the NFL ranks and working his way from the bottom up. Closer to the top are guys like Aaron Glenn and Dennis Allen (he'll get his second shot soon, I believe).

Who is the best all-around team player on this team. Lots of talented players, but I am looking for a leader and team-first player? Seems to be more than usual these last few years.

There are a handful of them, to be sure. Some of the names that stand out are guys like Keldrick Carper, Jayden Peevy, DeMarvin Leal. I'll go with Ainias Smith and Haynes King as two that I've heard a whole heck of a lot about this off-season as far as leadership goes.

Did you agree with Chris Simms ranking of Mond being the 4th best QB in this year's draft class? If so, does that point to the receiving core being the primary reason for the lack of passing game explosiveness last season, and do you believe that element will be fixed this year?

I'm honestly to the point that I'd love to see folks just embrace Kellen's success and stop trying to figure out 'what was wrong' with the A&M offense in 2020. It just feels like everyone wants to 'blame' someone or a unit or the scheme or whatever, but here's how I see it: Could the downfield passing game have been better? Yep. Was the offense as a whole - including the passing game - good and at times great? Yep. I think the unit played poorly in two of ten games, to be honest. I think Kellen's strengths weren't appreciated as much as they should have been until folks finally seemed to warm late in the season, but I also think the combination of the lack of a true deep threat on the outside and Mond clearly preferring to take what's there (which ultimately served him very well as a senior) did play a role in the Ags not being as explosive in the over-the-top passing game that you saw from three of the four teams ranked ahead of them and some of the teams directly behind them, as well. Continue to upgrade at WR, watch guys like Lane develop as they gain experience and maybe the next starting QB is more of a big-play seeker (for better or worse) and you'll get what you want to see in terms of chunk plays in the passing game.

This is the first time in years where there can be an actual discussion about who our best offensive playmaker is going to be. How would you rank our returning offensive playmakers (top 5)?

Top 5? Good question. 1) Ainias 2) Spiller 3) Wydermyer 4) Achane 5) Lane. Tough on two levels. First, I could easily see Haynes King shooting up this list if he wins the starting job. Two, Spiller at No. 2 and Achane at No. 4 might seem odd because I think Achane is the most explosive, big-play threat the Ags have, and he could end up No. 1, but all of Spiller's first downs and 120- and 140-yard games and TD runs inside the five yard line are absolutely 'big plays.' Achane and King do have the potential to revolutionize the A&M offense at some point. The questions are will Haynes win the job, and then it's a matter of when and not if, IMO.

Who will provide depth at DT this year behind our 2 expected starters?

For starters, we know Leal can slide inside when need be. From there, Isaiah Raikes is the leading candidate, but then it's probably a free-for-all with guys like Dallas Walker, Adarious Jones (I need to double-check on his post-injury status), early-enrollee Marcus Burris and even Albert Regis or perhaps even one of the 'big' defensive ends like Shemar Turner‍ or Tunmise Adeleye‍ as DEs who can make their presence felt inside in certain Mike Elko packages designed to put a Justin Madubuike-like athlete inside to get to the passer.

Bet the number years Sark is the head coach at Texas.. I'll put the O/U at 4.5

I'm going with the under. I think he's another four-year head coach in Austin. The streak will extend to three. They're getting excited about it and falling for the hype and will be even more fooled every time he adds a big-name recruit but, long term, this was a fallback, desperation hire. The Burnt Orange spin-doctors are working overtime and that fan base is buying it hook, line and sinker. It's quite comical, actually. An upgrade over Herman? Yes, but is that really what you're looking for when making a hire at the University of Texas??? And correct me if I'm wrong but are these the same assclowns (media included) who tried to tell us Tom Herman was a better hire than Jimbo Fisher and the same group that said the Ags overpaid for a national championship head coach while getting downright giddy about hiring a two-time failed head coach who happens to be a national championship assistant...all after failing to land the national championship head coach of their own that they tried to assure us they were getting. Par for the course.

Regarding the NCAA and visits. What will it take for the HAVES to say no NCAA this is not our wish, such as the SEC saying we will allow visits?

I don't think it will come to that. I think prospects will be able to visit beginning June 1 and throughout the month. But, yes, ADs, head coaches and the Power 5 conferences are at their wit's end with this stuff.

Do you agree with me that Gabe could have been a great wrestling manager in the WWE/WWF? I think he acts the nice guy but could hit you with a cane or throw some chemical in your eyes when nobody is looking.

Haha he does have a little Jimmy Cornett in him, that's for sure. Gabe is the 'palms up' guy for sure. "Who me???" He'd also be a good hype man during the backstage promos and would do anything to make sure his guy wins. Loyal and crafty that one.

Predict the 2021 season record for the Aggies football team and for tu. How significant will those records be in the final rankings of the 2022 recruiting class ?

A little early for predictions, but I think the Ags are a ten-win team one way or the other, with the ceiling being a title contender. So much will depend on the OL this year (again). As for Texas, I think they'll see some fool's gold early against a pathetic schedule (Tech, K-State, Kansas, Baylor, WVU, even TCU and one of those non-conference games are laughably bad) but ultimately drop four or so. And, absolutely, the way both teams' seasons go will play a big role in how things shake out in '22 but especially with the '23 class. A good portion of each class will probably be decided prior to the season in terms of guys being committed. Texas and Sark have to prove it this fall. Keep an eye on the Louisiana and Arkansas non-conference games. Lose either of those, and it's a very rocky start to the 'Jack ass, all fake' era. With all of that said, if the Ags handle business and have another NY6 type of season in year one with a new starting QB, then none of this matters.

Will we see accelerated activity from kids considering our final WR spot(s) now that we have two committed?

It's possible, but I don't think you see that until after the Ags land a third pass-catcher. The Aggies have an excellent shot with Chris Marshall‍, and I'd say a good to very good shot with Brenen Thompson‍ and a good shot with Kojo Antwi‍. Wildcards out there would be Jay Fair‍ (how hard are the Ags going to press this spring?) and even Evan Stewart‍ (I've heard there has been some legitimate conversation since his Texas decommitment).

Are you hearing anything about fans and the spring game? Limited attendance?

I think there will probably be some type of limitation, but if we're being honest, even if the crowd is limited we haven't typically seen more than 30k at one of the spring games in quite a while. Something tells me if you want to attend, the odds are high you won't be turned away.

What or who will be the biggest surprise of this year's team?

As for the what, I'll go with the offense being more explosive than folks expect in year one with a new QB and an offensive line that we're all wondering about. The who? I'm going to go with Devin Price as a contributing more than you expect receiver and Akinola Ogunbiyi plus a true freshman grabbing two of the starting jobs up front. Maybe even go with Zion Harris finding a way to factor in as a pass rusher as a true fish.

Which true freshmen are most likely to be contributors on offense and defense?

Bryce Foster‍, Tunmise Adeleye‍, Shemar Turner‍, Deuce Harmon‍ and Jahzion Harris‍ might be my five most likely.

Which RS freshmen are most likely to be contributors on offense and defense?

Baylor Cupp, Haynes King, Akinola Oguynbiyi, Edgerrin Cooper, Isaiah Raikes, Devin Price. Lot of contenders here, which is a good thing. I didn't even mention about four or five others who I could have easily included there like Demas, Moose, Doyle, Diggs and Harris.

Final 4 for women's basketball?

I think they're going to get there. Thing is, they're not a dominant team but, like the Aggies in football this year, Gary Blair's bunch is tough-minded and just knows what it takes to win games in the fourth quarter. That'll carry them deep into the tourney, IMO, especially with a 1 or 2 seed.

When is Jesus coming back? Hope to see a football natty first.

At the rate we were going at this time exactly a year ago and then into the fall, it was really feeling like some time just before the 2020 national title game, with the Ags set to win a rematch with Alabama in Miami.

Nice to see Jimbo adding elite speed to fill a gap in the WR group. Is he also looking for the same for the defensive backfield, equal priority in my opinion?

I think that's an ongoing push by Fisher, Mike Elko and TJ Rushing. Elevate the overall talent level in the defensive backfield but also get faster anytime you can. They're making pretty significant strides towards that end but the Class of '22 has the potential to really get the Ags where they need to be. Love the additions of Harmon, Tyreek Chappell‍ and Jardin Gilbert‍ in that regard, and Bobby Taylor‍ can really run, too.

Excited to hear about the planned renovation and upgrade of the President’s House area and open space to the East of the stadium from the 12th Man Foundation. Do you think we can rival the Grove for gameday tailgating experience when it's done?

I'll have to see it to believe it, but I do love what they're planning to do out there. You can't force atmosphere, however. It has to be organic, so for it to rival The Grove and some other iconic places will take time. Tailgating in Aggieland has come so damn far since A&M joined the SEC back in 2012, however, that there's no reason to think it won't only get better.

Predict the 4 WRs coming out of Spring with the lead for their positions going into August Camp.

I hit this one in the video portion. Short version: Not even Fisher or Craig know the answer to that yet. Smith, Lane and Jones return as starters and Buckley has extensive starting experience. Chapman will push to start once fall camp rolls around if healthy. Coming out of spring, I don't think there will be any surprises unless Demas breaks out. He's the obvious wildcard and hope, but the sleeper to keep an eye on is Devin Price, IMO. Had a strong close to the season in practices and has carried that over into a strong off-season.

I just got through reading an ESPN article about the next 5 Clemsons (they chose Georgia, ND, Oregon, Penn State, and LSU). It was all based on SP+, and takes no account of current circumstances like LSU's NCAA troubles. My main question is what are your thoughts on some of these predictive models like the SP+ (which seems to always prop up tu)? Are there any you pay more attention to than others?

If these ridiculous metrics were printed on paper I could tell you what I'd do with them. That article was a joke and not even worth a read. As you said, there is so much they don't factor in. Just lacks common football sense, at times. Penn State? LSU? They're not taking into account coaching attrition under Ed O and the cumulative effect of coordinator turnover. Not factoring in LSU's off-field and NCAA stuff, not factoring in the fact that Ed O really isn't that good. Forget the fact that Penn State was God-awful this year and their wins were over some absolutely TERRIBLE teams. James Franklin has some issues in Happy Valley, and I don't need a computer to figure that one out. And I'm just trying to figure out by what metric you wouldn't include A&M as one of these teams if you're going five deep. Makes little to zero sense.

Who are your spring MVPs?

Oh man, so early to try and figure that out. I'll go Ainias on offense and go with a wildcard and say McKinnley Jackson on D.

What is your percentage of concern along the O line with basically all new starters and less experience?

Pretty concerned if we're being honest. The future of the Aggie OL is as bright as it's been in a long, long time and maybe even ever after the '22 class is signed, sealed and delivered, but this is the year that Henson and the Maroon Goons will have to scrap through and overcome a great deal of inexperience. Tall order going against SEC defenses every Saturday, but I just have a feeling this group will overachieve. There are some real pieces to work with, that much is certain. A starting five going something like Green-Aki-Matthews-Robinson-Johnson (Tennessee transfer Jahmir Johnson) features two guys who have started most of two years in the SEC at the tackle spots, a fourth-year guy at center (and a Matthews, at that) and a third-year in Layden. There are obviously other options and combinations, but just showing you one that could certainly end up being much better than folks expect.

Any investigation/punishment coming up for the alleged recruitment of Kendal Daniels‍ AFTER he signed his LOI?

Doubtful. And I have all of zero idea what, if anything, went on there. Big picture wise, I'm afraid that type of thing will become more and more common, unfortunately, as it gets easier and easier to transfer out.

Rehab progress of Baylor Cupp, Chapman, Buckley and Demani?

Demani and Cupp are good to go this spring, I'll check on Buck but Chapman I'm not expecting them back until the summer off-season and probably in time for camp, but I'll follow up there, as well.

Will Wydermeyer finally get some national recognition?

I think he's already received some (Mackey finalist and most in the country know about him) but, yes, I do think entering this season he's talked about as one of the two or three best returning tight ends in college football.

How are Diggs and Harris coming along? How great will it be to move Leal inside on passing downs with Peevy with Tyree and another speedster on the outside and bringing Hansford on a delayed blitz?

Don't sleep on Zion Harris, either. Diggs I think is further along, as Harris hasn't really filled out much at all yet in the way of adding some needed weight. Diggs isn't quite as twitchy as either of the Harrises but he's bigger and more physical. I could see him earning the reps this year that Jeremiah Martin would have had had he returned as a senior. He should be ready to contribute.

Just how much better will the secondary be with 4 legit CB's? Just a few years ago we had to start Renfro and Myles as true Fish because there were only 3 CBs on the roster.

I'm still in an 'I'll believe it when I see it' mode with Blades because even when he returned last year (after a head-scratching decision to sit out and then a draft announcement and then back) we saw little of him, including being suited out and out there in a game (Orange Bowl or the Tennessee game, I'm not sure I remember which one) and then being in warm-ups after halftime. Myles Jones returning was a big-time development for this team, as was Brian George getting two starts to end the season. Those two plus Jaylon Jones and either Blades or one of the true freshmen (two of whom are already on campus) and I think the situation at CB is better than it's been since Fisher and Elko got here in 2018.

We know who will start at tackle and one of the guard positions. Who are the best bets to take over at center and the other guard?

We technically don't even know that, do we? The expectation (and current plan) is for Kenyon Green to play tackle, but you never know how things shake out on an offensive line when we're talking about getting the 'best five' out there. Green at tackle is what I do expect we'll see, however. At center, I still think Luke Matthews is the best bet, though Smart Chibuzo and perhaps even a true freshman will get their cracks at the job (Matthew Wykoff has even worked some at center during the off-season and Bryce Foster can certainly play in the middle if need be). Still think Luke in year four will be the odds-on favorite. At guard, it could very well be Akinola Ogunbiyi, but I'm still not completely convinced he won't end up at tackle if he's one of your best two. Aki and Bryce Foster are two guys who could nail down a spot at guard opposite Layden Robinson.

Thanks for doing these Billy! It's been out for a little while now, but the Umbrella Academy on Netflix is amazing.

I've always seen that when searching for shows and have been tempted. May have to give it a look. I'm watching a couple of one-season quickies right now in 'Tell me your secrets' and 'Your Honor.'

What should expectations look like for Demas this year?

Most difficult player for me to predict for the 2021 season because he could continue to struggle to make the adjustment or could burst onto the SEC scene as one of the league's top young receivers. The range is pretty significant, and it all depends on what the talented second-year receiver does between now and next fall in terms of his preparation. The talent is there, with the only thing he lacks physically right now is that Demond still hasn't packed on very much weight. But all of the other tools and physical attributes? He's got them. And he's getting better. Has been since the last month of the season or so. I'm just not ready to call it a sure thing just yet but am hoping to feel a lot more confident about #1 making a game-changing impact next fall coming out of spring ball. He really should look like a different player next fall.

How have the QBs looked so far this offseason?

Let's hold off on the QB evals until spring ball, but as far as the workouts go, King and Stowers are both next-level athletically. And they're also both incredibly intelligent in terms of football IQ and are way ahead of where most QBs are entering year one (Stowers) and through one year in the program (King) in terms of their knowledge of Jimbo's pro-style offense. King's leadership is off the charts, as well, and he's doing a great job of motivating the receivers and backs to be out there for voluntary stuff consistently.

The guy we don't talk about enough, however, is Zach Calzada. Totally different guy from last off-season and even during the season to now. First off, Calzada is a much better athlete than folks seem to think. He's a 4.7 guy who has really competed well during the Fourth Quarter drills. He's also more engaged than at any point since arriving in College Station and has really made a strong impression on coaches, teammates and insiders with a strong off-season, one that has folks convinced he's ready to compete this spring.

What was Haynes King's 40 time?

I'm not positive on this, but I believe a 4.46.

Will anyone catch Bama from a recruiting/talent perspective as long as Saban is there? What position group is key to beating them? DL or DB comes to mind (barring another JFF level player taking over the game).

Probably not, but you can get close enough to beat them. Do that in the right year or at the right time and it might result in a championship. I still say that if A&M were to break through against the Tide and ride that win to an SEC title or more, the Aggies with a coach like Jimbo, a stadium like Kyle, facilities that can stand toe-to-toe with the Tide, the location and where the roster is at now...well, Nick Saban knows that A&M is one of the few programs in the country that could catch up and keep pace for a multi-year stretch. Just imagine if the Ags were to pull off an Alabama win and a playoff berth this fall. Coming off of 9-1 and a top-5 finish and then a playoff berth/SEC title? With the No. 3, No. 6 and No. 7 classes already on campus? Where would the 2022 class rank? And what would that mean for '23? Yeah, Texas A&M has that type of potential if they can strike at the right time, but we all know how tough a task it is we're talking about.

Thanks for doing these, and btw, I think Griff deserves more air time... I mean, he makes a lot more sense than some of the post-game call-in show participants...

This is an outstanding point. He's a good boy. The rest of them? Not so much.

Apologize if I missed it earlier but do we know how the loss of Daniels impacts the initial counter rule and what options we may be looking at to use that spot?

I need to re-check that one, but my guess is that it will not impact the initial counter number. There's no way it should, just like a signee who failed to qualify wouldn't impact it.

Do you think there is a chance we add a grad transfer after the spring and, if so, what position?

There's a chance and the Ags are continuously searching, but there's no telling if they'll add one or who it will be. I'd call it a possibility but far from a sure thing.

You shouldn't complain about the success with our Offense. It's balanced and produces. Some recently have stated (Chris Simms and others) that it lacks imagination and predictable. Can you see Fisher changing at all, a little more wide open based on new personal? Basically, does a new QB change up our Offense and become more vertical and wide open?

I do think Jimbo will open things up more as the Ags progress in the way of speed, adding big-play options at wideout and a more trusted ability to connect over the top but the scheme is going to remain the same. Chris Simms, huh? That predictable offense may not have been elite last year, but it was really damn good if you go back and look at what the Aggies did over the course of a season. And they did it with a receiving corps that probably didn't rank in the top half of the SEC in terms of talent or depth.

How long before the "house of cards" football and basketball programs at LSU totally collapse under NCAA and FBI investigations? How is Wade still coaching there and will our old pal, Woodward go down with the ship?

Don't know, don't know and no. Woodward got there after all of this happened. When the time comes that a move has to be made in terms of Wade or even Ed O, the AD is going to do what he has to do. Wade is absolutely finished, IMO, but I think Orgeron will continue to coach in Baton Rouge. What will be interesting is if a very talented Tiger team still manages to drop four games or so this year. That combined with last year's 5-5, new, more stiff NCAA sanctions and a disappointing 2021 and then what? The heat turns up considerably. I think this is a turning point type of season for Ed O. As far as the when, it's going to happen. They're going to suffer a pretty big hit in both sports, but I have no idea when.

Any road trips you look forward to this next season? Being locked down this past season, I'm itching to hit the road and take in some games on the road. What your favorite SEC town so far to visit? Auburn is mine.

I'm right there with you! Beyond ready after a season off from hitting some SEC road games. Hell, I even miss Jerryworld. Looking most forward this coming season to Baton Rouge, actually, as I think that's going to be a war and want to see the Ags finally break through in Death Valley and go three out of four against the Purple and Gold. Ole Miss in Oxford will probably be one of those 'survive and advance' type of Saturdays for the Aggies and should be a pretty wild atmosphere, as well. If I'm ranking them, I'm going outside of the SEC to an early September trip to Denver and then the short trip to Bayou Country.

Any word on the status and existence (or lack thereof) of the NCAA investigation against LSU? News reports seem pretty bad for no action to be taken.

See below. Storm clouds are covering Red Stick, but it feels more like waiting on 'the big one' out in California than a hurricane forming in the Gulf of Mexico and knowing it's a few days out.

Heard some radio folk in Louisiana today all jacked up that Ed O is recreating his Joe Brady magic of 2 years ago with new offensive coordinator Jake Peetz. What are your thoughts?

I've made my thoughts on this pretty clear. Certain folks in the media are going to push this agenda because, inexplicitly, they are die-hard supporters and promoters of Ed O while making it their life's mission to go after certain other coaches with far less checkered pasts and choppy resumes. We know the folks in Baton Rouge that cover LSU have gone all-in on this narrative because they need it to be true. You're not recreating the magic of 2019 any sooner than Coach Sumlin was able to recreate the 2012 season minus Kliff Kingsbury and Johnny. Too much turnover on that staff at the coordinator level, and they're going to continue to feel it, no matter what the 'unbiased' cheerleaders in the national media tell you.

Oh, and they were oblivious to any possible sanctions headed their way.

Of course they were.

Biggest risk to not beating Alabama?

For this year, I'd say it would be an inexperienced offensive line and a quarterback who has never faced a Nick Saban defense. For any year, it's whether or not the Aggies can win battles on the outside, both WR vs CBs and the A&M cover men vs Bama's talent at wideout. Playing at home and the chance of having a gunslinger and a guy who can go 'off script' at QB would help in one regard, as will experienced, future NFL corners against a receiving corps that is still talented but sans Waddle and Smith. So that brings us to this: How good will the Aggie OL be at the halfway point in the season, and will the A&M receivers get open against the Tide secondary for the first time since Mike Evans, Ryan Swope and Malcome Kennedy did so in '12 and '13?

How has Schmidt's offseason program progressed over his time in Aggieland? Any changes specifically in 2021 and if so what is the anticipated outcome in respect to 2021 season?

No idea on the changes. The Fourth Quarter stuff is a staple and an integral part of team-building, leaders emerging and also pushing the individuals and the unit to the absolute limit. The thing about Schmidt is that he's been doing this forever and is as knowledgeable as anyone in the game, but he also knows the importance of putting an outstanding staff around him, which he has done since arriving in College Station. The entire operation is incredible, and the way he and the S&C staff navigated the 2020 off-season doesn't get nearly enough credit when you see how A&M won games in the second half and physically outlasted virtually every opponent they faced. Much of the same this off-season, and I'll also say this much, no one knows more about what championship-caliber roster talent looks like, and I've heard the S&C legend is loving what he sees.

When the history of Aggie football is written will we remember the drive midway through the 3rd quarter as the drive that changed the trajectory of Aggie football? As always thanks for doing these.

Assuming you're talking about the drive against Florida and, yeah, I do agree with that. The Ags were down 28-17, the sharks sensed blood in the water and rival recruiters, the Bathwater Bunch in Austin, The Athletic and many others in the national media had their twitter fingers ready to pronounce the Jimbo Fisher hire a bust. They had the 'Fisher and A&M versus top-five opponents' and 'Aggies have now lost four of their last five SEC games' stats ready to fire away, many among the 12th Man were ready to call for a new starting quarterback and so on and so forth. Lose that Florida game and who knows how things would have gone for the Maroon & White. Instead, you knock off No. 4 and haven't lost since, with a second win in three years against LSU, eight straight Ws, an Orange Bowl victory and another top-7 recruiting class since that fateful drive. Yes, I think that was the definitive turning point of the Fisher Era in Aggieland and it's nowhere but up.

Who in the 2021 class has the best chance to be the Ainias Smith of the class (a prospect that comes out of nowhere and makes a big impact).

Such a highly-rated group that there aren't going to be too many 'out of nowhere' types, but I really think folks are sleeping on Amari Daniels‍ due mainly to how good and what a prized recruit LJ Johnson Jr‍ was. Others who stand out in this regard are Zion Harris, Matthew Wykoff‍ and Tyreek Chappell.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents
How would you describe Jimbo's coaching philosophy? To me it seems that he is both a tough, old school coach, but he is also a player's coach. The thing that really stands out to me after following him for several years now is that he really loves his players, and they love him.

There's no doubt Jimbo loves his players, and that's something that also really helps him on the recruiting trail. It's genuine and it's easy to see for prospects and parents alike. And, yes, he is a tough coach who demands excellence from his players, coaches and the team. It's hard but also very rewarding work. There's a reason the track record and resume are what they are.

Name a few former players who have the ability to be college or pro assistants and ultimately head coaches and why?

I've not put a ton of thought into this one but there are so many in the profession right now. Jerrod Johnson is a name that stands out as far as someone who is just coming up through the NFL ranks and working his way from the bottom up. Closer to the top are guys like Aaron Glenn and Dennis Allen (he'll get his second shot soon, I believe).

Who is the best all-around team player on this team. Lots of talented players, but I am looking for a leader and team-first player? Seems to be more than usual these last few years.

There are a handful of them, to be sure. Some of the names that stand out are guys like Keldrick Carper, Jayden Peevy, DeMarvin Leal. I'll go with Ainias Smith and Haynes King as two that I've heard a whole heck of a lot about this off-season as far as leadership goes.

Did you agree with Chris Simms ranking of Mond being the 4th best QB in this year's draft class? If so, does that point to the receiving core being the primary reason for the lack of passing game explosiveness last season, and do you believe that element will be fixed this year?

I'm honestly to the point that I'd love to see folks just embrace Kellen's success and stop trying to figure out 'what was wrong' with the A&M offense in 2020. It just feels like everyone wants to 'blame' someone or a unit or the scheme or whatever, but here's how I see it: Could the downfield passing game have been better? Yep. Was the offense as a whole - including the passing game - good and at times great? Yep. I think the unit played poorly in two of ten games, to be honest. I think Kellen's strengths weren't appreciated as much as they should have been until folks finally seemed to warm late in the season, but I also think the combination of the lack of a true deep threat on the outside and Mond clearly preferring to take what's there (which ultimately served him very well as a senior) did play a role in the Ags not being as explosive in the over-the-top passing game that you saw from three of the four teams ranked ahead of them and some of the teams directly behind them, as well. Continue to upgrade at WR, watch guys like Lane develop as they gain experience and maybe the next starting QB is more of a big-play seeker (for better or worse) and you'll get what you want to see in terms of chunk plays in the passing game.

This is the first time in years where there can be an actual discussion about who our best offensive playmaker is going to be. How would you rank our returning offensive playmakers (top 5)?

Top 5? Good question. 1) Ainias 2) Spiller 3) Wydermyer 4) Achane 5) Lane. Tough on two levels. First, I could easily see Haynes King shooting up this list if he wins the starting job. Two, Spiller at No. 2 and Achane at No. 4 might seem odd because I think Achane is the most explosive, big-play threat the Ags have, and he could end up No. 1, but all of Spiller's first downs and 120- and 140-yard games and TD runs inside the five yard line are absolutely 'big plays.' Achane and King do have the potential to revolutionize the A&M offense at some point. The questions are will Haynes win the job, and then it's a matter of when and not if, IMO.

For starters, we know Leal can slide inside when need be. From there, Isaiah Raikes is the leading candidate, but then it's probably a free-for-all with guys like Dallas Walker, Adarious Jones (I need to double-check on his post-injury status), early-enrollee Marcus Burris and even Albert Regis or perhaps even one of the 'big' defensive ends like Shemar Turner‍ or Tunmise Adeleye‍ as DEs who can make their presence felt inside in certain Mike Elko packages designed to put a Justin Madubuike-like athlete inside to get to the passer.

I'm going with the under. I think he's another four-year head coach in Austin. The streak will extend to three. They're getting excited about it and falling for the hype and will be even more fooled every time he adds a big-name recruit but, long term, this was a fallback, desperation hire. The Burnt Orange spin-doctors are working overtime and that fan base is buying it hook, line and sinker. It's quite comical, actually. An upgrade over Herman? Yes, but is that really what you're looking for when making a hire at the University of Texas??? And correct me if I'm wrong but are these the same assclowns (media included) who tried to tell us Tom Herman was a better hire than Jimbo Fisher and the same group that said the Ags overpaid for a national championship head coach while getting downright giddy about hiring a two-time failed head coach who happens to be a national championship assistant...all after failing to land the national championship head coach of their own that they tried to assure us they were getting. Par for the course.

Regarding the NCAA and visits. What will it take for the HAVES to say no NCAA this is not our wish, such as the SEC saying we will allow visits?

I don't think it will come to that. I think prospects will be able to visit beginning June 1 and throughout the month. But, yes, ADs, head coaches and the Power 5 conferences are at their wit's end with this stuff.

Do you agree with me that Gabe could have been a great wrestling manager in the WWE/WWF? I think he acts the nice guy but could hit you with a cane or throw some chemical in your eyes when nobody is looking.

Haha he does have a little Jimmy Cornett in him, that's for sure. Gabe is the 'palms up' guy for sure. "Who me???" He'd also be a good hype man during the backstage promos and would do anything to make sure his guy wins. Loyal and crafty that one.

Predict the 2021 season record for the Aggies football team and for tu. How significant will those records be in the final rankings of the 2022 recruiting class ?

A little early for predictions, but I think the Ags are a ten-win team one way or the other, with the ceiling being a title contender. So much will depend on the OL this year (again). As for Texas, I think they'll see some fool's gold early against a pathetic schedule (Tech, K-State, Kansas, Baylor, WVU, even TCU and one of those non-conference games are laughably bad) but ultimately drop four or so. And, absolutely, the way both teams' seasons go will play a big role in how things shake out in '22 but especially with the '23 class. A good portion of each class will probably be decided prior to the season in terms of guys being committed. Texas and Sark have to prove it this fall. Keep an eye on the Louisiana and Arkansas non-conference games. Lose either of those, and it's a very rocky start to the 'Jack ass, all fake' era. With all of that said, if the Ags handle business and have another NY6 type of season in year one with a new starting QB, then none of this matters.

Will we see accelerated activity from kids considering our final WR spot(s) now that we have two committed?

It's possible, but I don't think you see that until after the Ags land a third pass-catcher. The Aggies have an excellent shot with Chris Marshall‍, and I'd say a good to very good shot with Brenen Thompson‍ and a good shot with Kojo Antwi‍. Wildcards out there would be Jay Fair‍ (how hard are the Ags going to press this spring?) and even Evan Stewart‍ (I've heard there has been some legitimate conversation since his Texas decommitment).

I think there will probably be some type of limitation, but if we're being honest, even if the crowd is limited we haven't typically seen more than 30k at one of the spring games in quite a while. Something tells me if you want to attend, the odds are high you won't be turned away.

As for the what, I'll go with the offense being more explosive than folks expect in year one with a new QB and an offensive line that we're all wondering about. The who? I'm going to go with Devin Price as a contributing more than you expect receiver and Akinola Ogunbiyi plus a true freshman grabbing two of the starting jobs up front. Maybe even go with Zion Harris finding a way to factor in as a pass rusher as a true fish.

Bryce Foster‍, Tunmise Adeleye‍, Shemar Turner‍, Deuce Harmon‍ and Jahzion Harris‍ might be my five most likely.

Baylor Cupp, Haynes King, Akinola Oguynbiyi, Edgerrin Cooper, Isaiah Raikes, Devin Price. Lot of contenders here, which is a good thing. I didn't even mention about four or five others who I could have easily included there like Demas, Moose, Doyle, Diggs and Harris.

I think they're going to get there. Thing is, they're not a dominant team but, like the Aggies in football this year, Gary Blair's bunch is tough-minded and just knows what it takes to win games in the fourth quarter. That'll carry them deep into the tourney, IMO, especially with a 1 or 2 seed.

At the rate we were going at this time exactly a year ago and then into the fall, it was really feeling like some time just before the 2020 national title game, with the Ags set to win a rematch with Alabama in Miami.

Nice to see Jimbo adding elite speed to fill a gap in the WR group. Is he also looking for the same for the defensive backfield, equal priority in my opinion?

I think that's an ongoing push by Fisher, Mike Elko and TJ Rushing. Elevate the overall talent level in the defensive backfield but also get faster anytime you can. They're making pretty significant strides towards that end but the Class of '22 has the potential to really get the Ags where they need to be. Love the additions of Harmon, Tyreek Chappell‍ and Jardin Gilbert‍ in that regard, and Bobby Taylor‍ can really run, too.

Excited to hear about the planned renovation and upgrade of the President’s House area and open space to the East of the stadium from the 12th Man Foundation. Do you think we can rival the Grove for gameday tailgating experience when it's done?

I'll have to see it to believe it, but I do love what they're planning to do out there. You can't force atmosphere, however. It has to be organic, so for it to rival The Grove and some other iconic places will take time. Tailgating in Aggieland has come so damn far since A&M joined the SEC back in 2012, however, that there's no reason to think it won't only get better.

Predict the 4 WRs coming out of Spring with the lead for their positions going into August Camp.

I hit this one in the video portion. Short version: Not even Fisher or Craig know the answer to that yet. Smith, Lane and Jones return as starters and Buckley has extensive starting experience. Chapman will push to start once fall camp rolls around if healthy. Coming out of spring, I don't think there will be any surprises unless Demas breaks out. He's the obvious wildcard and hope, but the sleeper to keep an eye on is Devin Price, IMO. Had a strong close to the season in practices and has carried that over into a strong off-season.

I just got through reading an ESPN article about the next 5 Clemsons (they chose Georgia, ND, Oregon, Penn State, and LSU). It was all based on SP+, and takes no account of current circumstances like LSU's NCAA troubles. My main question is what are your thoughts on some of these predictive models like the SP+ (which seems to always prop up tu)? Are there any you pay more attention to than others?

If these ridiculous metrics were printed on paper I could tell you what I'd do with them. That article was a joke and not even worth a read. As you said, there is so much they don't factor in. Just lacks common football sense, at times. Penn State? LSU? They're not taking into account coaching attrition under Ed O and the cumulative effect of coordinator turnover. Not factoring in LSU's off-field and NCAA stuff, not factoring in the fact that Ed O really isn't that good. Forget the fact that Penn State was God-awful this year and their wins were over some absolutely TERRIBLE teams. James Franklin has some issues in Happy Valley, and I don't need a computer to figure that one out. And I'm just trying to figure out by what metric you wouldn't include A&M as one of these teams if you're going five deep. Makes little to zero sense.

Oh man, so early to try and figure that out. I'll go Ainias on offense and go with a wildcard and say McKinnley Jackson on D.

What is your percentage of concern along the O line with basically all new starters and less experience?

Pretty concerned if we're being honest. The future of the Aggie OL is as bright as it's been in a long, long time and maybe even ever after the '22 class is signed, sealed and delivered, but this is the year that Henson and the Maroon Goons will have to scrap through and overcome a great deal of inexperience. Tall order going against SEC defenses every Saturday, but I just have a feeling this group will overachieve. There are some real pieces to work with, that much is certain. A starting five going something like Green-Aki-Matthews-Robinson-Johnson (Tennessee transfer Jahmir Johnson) features two guys who have started most of two years in the SEC at the tackle spots, a fourth-year guy at center (and a Matthews, at that) and a third-year in Layden. There are obviously other options and combinations, but just showing you one that could certainly end up being much better than folks expect.

Any investigation/punishment coming up for the alleged recruitment of Kendal Daniels‍ AFTER he signed his LOI?

Doubtful. And I have all of zero idea what, if anything, went on there. Big picture wise, I'm afraid that type of thing will become more and more common, unfortunately, as it gets easier and easier to transfer out.

Demani and Cupp are good to go this spring, I'll check on Buck but Chapman I'm not expecting them back until the summer off-season and probably in time for camp, but I'll follow up there, as well.

I think he's already received some (Mackey finalist and most in the country know about him) but, yes, I do think entering this season he's talked about as one of the two or three best returning tight ends in college football.

How are Diggs and Harris coming along? How great will it be to move Leal inside on passing downs with Peevy with Tyree and another speedster on the outside and bringing Hansford on a delayed blitz?

Don't sleep on Zion Harris, either. Diggs I think is further along, as Harris hasn't really filled out much at all yet in the way of adding some needed weight. Diggs isn't quite as twitchy as either of the Harrises but he's bigger and more physical. I could see him earning the reps this year that Jeremiah Martin would have had had he returned as a senior. He should be ready to contribute.

Just how much better will the secondary be with 4 legit CB's? Just a few years ago we had to start Renfro and Myles as true Fish because there were only 3 CBs on the roster.

I'm still in an 'I'll believe it when I see it' mode with Blades because even when he returned last year (after a head-scratching decision to sit out and then a draft announcement and then back) we saw little of him, including being suited out and out there in a game (Orange Bowl or the Tennessee game, I'm not sure I remember which one) and then being in warm-ups after halftime. Myles Jones returning was a big-time development for this team, as was Brian George getting two starts to end the season. Those two plus Jaylon Jones and either Blades or one of the true freshmen (two of whom are already on campus) and I think the situation at CB is better than it's been since Fisher and Elko got here in 2018.

We know who will start at tackle and one of the guard positions. Who are the best bets to take over at center and the other guard?

We technically don't even know that, do we? The expectation (and current plan) is for Kenyon Green to play tackle, but you never know how things shake out on an offensive line when we're talking about getting the 'best five' out there. Green at tackle is what I do expect we'll see, however. At center, I still think Luke Matthews is the best bet, though Smart Chibuzo and perhaps even a true freshman will get their cracks at the job (Matthew Wykoff has even worked some at center during the off-season and Bryce Foster can certainly play in the middle if need be). Still think Luke in year four will be the odds-on favorite. At guard, it could very well be Akinola Ogunbiyi, but I'm still not completely convinced he won't end up at tackle if he's one of your best two. Aki and Bryce Foster are two guys who could nail down a spot at guard opposite Layden Robinson.

Thanks for doing these Billy! It's been out for a little while now, but the Umbrella Academy on Netflix is amazing.

I've always seen that when searching for shows and have been tempted. May have to give it a look. I'm watching a couple of one-season quickies right now in 'Tell me your secrets' and 'Your Honor.'

Most difficult player for me to predict for the 2021 season because he could continue to struggle to make the adjustment or could burst onto the SEC scene as one of the league's top young receivers. The range is pretty significant, and it all depends on what the talented second-year receiver does between now and next fall in terms of his preparation. The talent is there, with the only thing he lacks physically right now is that Demond still hasn't packed on very much weight. But all of the other tools and physical attributes? He's got them. And he's getting better. Has been since the last month of the season or so. I'm just not ready to call it a sure thing just yet but am hoping to feel a lot more confident about #1 making a game-changing impact next fall coming out of spring ball. He really should look like a different player next fall.

Let's hold off on the QB evals until spring ball, but as far as the workouts go, King and Stowers are both next-level athletically. And they're also both incredibly intelligent in terms of football IQ and are way ahead of where most QBs are entering year one (Stowers) and through one year in the program (King) in terms of their knowledge of Jimbo's pro-style offense. King's leadership is off the charts, as well, and he's doing a great job of motivating the receivers and backs to be out there for voluntary stuff consistently.

The guy we don't talk about enough, however, is Zach Calzada. Totally different guy from last off-season and even during the season to now. First off, Calzada is a much better athlete than folks seem to think. He's a 4.7 guy who has really competed well during the Fourth Quarter drills. He's also more engaged than at any point since arriving in College Station and has really made a strong impression on coaches, teammates and insiders with a strong off-season, one that has folks convinced he's ready to compete this spring.

Will anyone catch Bama from a recruiting/talent perspective as long as Saban is there? What position group is key to beating them? DL or DB comes to mind (barring another JFF level player taking over the game).

Probably not, but you can get close enough to beat them. Do that in the right year or at the right time and it might result in a championship. I still say that if A&M were to break through against the Tide and ride that win to an SEC title or more, the Aggies with a coach like Jimbo, a stadium like Kyle, facilities that can stand toe-to-toe with the Tide, the location and where the roster is at now...well, Nick Saban knows that A&M is one of the few programs in the country that could catch up and keep pace for a multi-year stretch. Just imagine if the Ags were to pull off an Alabama win and a playoff berth this fall. Coming off of 9-1 and a top-5 finish and then a playoff berth/SEC title? With the No. 3, No. 6 and No. 7 classes already on campus? Where would the 2022 class rank? And what would that mean for '23? Yeah, Texas A&M has that type of potential if they can strike at the right time, but we all know how tough a task it is we're talking about.

Thanks for doing these, and btw, I think Griff deserves more air time... I mean, he makes a lot more sense than some of the post-game call-in show participants...

Apologize if I missed it earlier but do we know how the loss of Daniels impacts the initial counter rule and what options we may be looking at to use that spot?

I need to re-check that one, but my guess is that it will not impact the initial counter number. There's no way it should, just like a signee who failed to qualify wouldn't impact it.

Do you think there is a chance we add a grad transfer after the spring and, if so, what position?

There's a chance and the Ags are continuously searching, but there's no telling if they'll add one or who it will be. I'd call it a possibility but far from a sure thing.

You shouldn't complain about the success with our Offense. It's balanced and produces. Some recently have stated (Chris Simms and others) that it lacks imagination and predictable. Can you see Fisher changing at all, a little more wide open based on new personal? Basically, does a new QB change up our Offense and become more vertical and wide open?

I do think Jimbo will open things up more as the Ags progress in the way of speed, adding big-play options at wideout and a more trusted ability to connect over the top but the scheme is going to remain the same. Chris Simms, huh? That predictable offense may not have been elite last year, but it was really damn good if you go back and look at what the Aggies did over the course of a season. And they did it with a receiving corps that probably didn't rank in the top half of the SEC in terms of talent or depth.

How long before the "house of cards" football and basketball programs at LSU totally collapse under NCAA and FBI investigations? How is Wade still coaching there and will our old pal, Woodward go down with the ship?

Don't know, don't know and no. Woodward got there after all of this happened. When the time comes that a move has to be made in terms of Wade or even Ed O, the AD is going to do what he has to do. Wade is absolutely finished, IMO, but I think Orgeron will continue to coach in Baton Rouge. What will be interesting is if a very talented Tiger team still manages to drop four games or so this year. That combined with last year's 5-5, new, more stiff NCAA sanctions and a disappointing 2021 and then what? The heat turns up considerably. I think this is a turning point type of season for Ed O. As far as the when, it's going to happen. They're going to suffer a pretty big hit in both sports, but I have no idea when.

Any road trips you look forward to this next season? Being locked down this past season, I'm itching to hit the road and take in some games on the road. What your favorite SEC town so far to visit? Auburn is mine.

I'm right there with you! Beyond ready after a season off from hitting some SEC road games. Hell, I even miss Jerryworld. Looking most forward this coming season to Baton Rouge, actually, as I think that's going to be a war and want to see the Ags finally break through in Death Valley and go three out of four against the Purple and Gold. Ole Miss in Oxford will probably be one of those 'survive and advance' type of Saturdays for the Aggies and should be a pretty wild atmosphere, as well. If I'm ranking them, I'm going outside of the SEC to an early September trip to Denver and then the short trip to Bayou Country.

Any word on the status and existence (or lack thereof) of the NCAA investigation against LSU? News reports seem pretty bad for no action to be taken.

See below. Storm clouds are covering Red Stick, but it feels more like waiting on 'the big one' out in California than a hurricane forming in the Gulf of Mexico and knowing it's a few days out.

Heard some radio folk in Louisiana today all jacked up that Ed O is recreating his Joe Brady magic of 2 years ago with new offensive coordinator Jake Peetz. What are your thoughts?

I've made my thoughts on this pretty clear. Certain folks in the media are going to push this agenda because, inexplicitly, they are die-hard supporters and promoters of Ed O while making it their life's mission to go after certain other coaches with far less checkered pasts and choppy resumes. We know the folks in Baton Rouge that cover LSU have gone all-in on this narrative because they need it to be true. You're not recreating the magic of 2019 any sooner than Coach Sumlin was able to recreate the 2012 season minus Kliff Kingsbury and Johnny. Too much turnover on that staff at the coordinator level, and they're going to continue to feel it, no matter what the 'unbiased' cheerleaders in the national media tell you.

Of course they were.

For this year, I'd say it would be an inexperienced offensive line and a quarterback who has never faced a Nick Saban defense. For any year, it's whether or not the Aggies can win battles on the outside, both WR vs CBs and the A&M cover men vs Bama's talent at wideout. Playing at home and the chance of having a gunslinger and a guy who can go 'off script' at QB would help in one regard, as will experienced, future NFL corners against a receiving corps that is still talented but sans Waddle and Smith. So that brings us to this: How good will the Aggie OL be at the halfway point in the season, and will the A&M receivers get open against the Tide secondary for the first time since Mike Evans, Ryan Swope and Malcome Kennedy did so in '12 and '13?

How has Schmidt's offseason program progressed over his time in Aggieland? Any changes specifically in 2021 and if so what is the anticipated outcome in respect to 2021 season?

No idea on the changes. The Fourth Quarter stuff is a staple and an integral part of team-building, leaders emerging and also pushing the individuals and the unit to the absolute limit. The thing about Schmidt is that he's been doing this forever and is as knowledgeable as anyone in the game, but he also knows the importance of putting an outstanding staff around him, which he has done since arriving in College Station. The entire operation is incredible, and the way he and the S&C staff navigated the 2020 off-season doesn't get nearly enough credit when you see how A&M won games in the second half and physically outlasted virtually every opponent they faced. Much of the same this off-season, and I'll also say this much, no one knows more about what championship-caliber roster talent looks like, and I've heard the S&C legend is loving what he sees.

When the history of Aggie football is written will we remember the drive midway through the 3rd quarter as the drive that changed the trajectory of Aggie football? As always thanks for doing these.

Assuming you're talking about the drive against Florida and, yeah, I do agree with that. The Ags were down 28-17, the sharks sensed blood in the water and rival recruiters, the Bathwater Bunch in Austin, The Athletic and many others in the national media had their twitter fingers ready to pronounce the Jimbo Fisher hire a bust. They had the 'Fisher and A&M versus top-five opponents' and 'Aggies have now lost four of their last five SEC games' stats ready to fire away, many among the 12th Man were ready to call for a new starting quarterback and so on and so forth. Lose that Florida game and who knows how things would have gone for the Maroon & White. Instead, you knock off No. 4 and haven't lost since, with a second win in three years against LSU, eight straight Ws, an Orange Bowl victory and another top-7 recruiting class since that fateful drive. Yes, I think that was the definitive turning point of the Fisher Era in Aggieland and it's nowhere but up.

Who in the 2021 class has the best chance to be the Ainias Smith of the class (a prospect that comes out of nowhere and makes a big impact).

Such a highly-rated group that there aren't going to be too many 'out of nowhere' types, but I really think folks are sleeping on Amari Daniels‍ due mainly to how good and what a prized recruit LJ Johnson Jr‍ was. Others who stand out in this regard are Zion Harris, Matthew Wykoff‍ and Tyreek Chappell.

I guess it doesn't matter, but which one of the propaganda minsters is this?

55 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Of course they were.

That was an embarrassing read. 

The same person who wrote that has to be the same person that claims aggy is winning a championship every year. So much cringe. I actually read the entire thing in Ted Lasso's voice.

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 2

i am shocked that Looch doesn't like predictive models or understand them

let's highlight this specifically:

And I'm just trying to figure out by what metric you wouldn't include A&M as one of these teams (the next Clemson) if you're going five deep. Makes little to zero sense.

i think A&M is #6 on the list.

funny enough, the article is pretty in depth on what it is or isn't (snippet below) - it is clearly not S&P+

This idea has excited me for a while because of the way it puts things in coaches' terms. While my SP+ ratings are predictive and forward-facing, this is more descriptive and prescriptive

what it is:

Spoiler

To begin answering that, let's first digress and return to a topic I brought up in October, as one of a few potential New Clemsons was getting its season underway. Granted, that piece proved my unlimited jinxing powers -- Penn State, the subject of the piece, proceeded to start its 2020 season with five losses -- but within that piece I laid out what I hoped was an interesting new way of looking at the sport.

The idea is pretty simple: apply point totals to basically everything that happens in a football game. Any time your offense makes a successful play (gaining 50% of necessary yardage on first down, 70% on second or 100% on third or fourth) or your defense prevents one, it's a "win." Every win is worth 0.3 points, and bonus points are given in key situations (third or fourth downs, red zone -- high-leverage situations), or for big plays or turnover chances. Special-teams events have point values too.

The result of this approach is that, for most teams, you get an estimated scoring margin quite close to the team's actual scoring margin, and you have a strong idea of how the team got there -- via particular success in the big-play department, or by simply winning a lot more plays than its opponents, etc.

This idea has excited me for a while because of the way it puts things in coaches' terms. While my SP+ ratings are predictive and forward-facing, this is more descriptive and prescriptive; it assigns value to aspects of the game coaches have long stressed, and in a currency coaches value above all else: points. Instead of explaining what a measure like my marginal explosiveness means, or what goes into a given expected points added (EPA) model, you can say, "Team A is gaining X points per game because of big plays and losing X points per game because of turnovers." It can serve as a gateway into the more nitty-gritty stuff. (I was also pleased to discover that, as mentioned in the October piece, this approach works well at the high school and pro play-by-play levels with just a few tweaks.)

You can also use it to dive into what separates wheat from chaff in college football.

Let's circle back to the questions at hand: What drove Clemson's rise, and who compares well to the Tigers. To start, let's compare four things: the statistical profiles of the average national champion, the average CFP participant and both pre-breakthrough Clemson (2012-14) and post-breakthrough Clemson (2015-20).

i am shocked that Looch would shit all over a list that doesn't have Texas A&M as a top 5 program on the list but instead has them as #6.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

I'm going to go with continue to struggle.    It is hard to gain weight smoking weed, even if you eat the whole bag of chips.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nothing about Demas on the gigem' board.  Saw a thread on Texags about it, several posters saying CDPD shouldn't be arresting aggy football players lulz.  

I am surprised they aren't saying Jimbo had him arrested so he could make room on the roster.  Because, trust Jimbo.

16 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Damn, booked and 2K bond for a little bit of weed. 

Right? That feels like a lot for a pretty tiny misdemeanor

15 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

I'm going to go with continue to struggle. It is hard to gain weight smoking weed, even if you eat the whole bag of chips.

I feel like I know more than enough fat stoners to put the lie to that statement.