Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

Tarp's koolaid is so sweet I got a slight buzz while drinking it all in..

I predict the offense will be hot garbage if they can't manage a running game, full stop. Even if they do manage to sneak by LSU and end with one loss, they'll still need several other teams shooting themselves in the dick (including us and blowU) to have a shot at the playoffs.

Futility enters it's 82nd consecutive year, this will be interesting to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So outside of a dominant DL, Spiller, Smith, and the TE, it sounds like ATM has a bunch of spares. This is a team expected to compete to make the playoffs? I guess I need to go look at their schedule. 

Good news, they are so confident it includes the SEC Championship on their schedule

Spoiler

YaHS7Dvr

• The Pirate in #LitStation
  • Bama in #LitStation
  • Auburn in #LitStation
  • S Carolina in #LitStation (they return ~72% of offense and defense next year)
  • @ Ole Miss (return 78% of offense next year)
  • @ LSU

They are going to be rolling 3-0 going into Arky and probably 4-0 rolling into Miss State. 5-0 into Bama.

It is truly amazing how accurate this @THUJONE original, created in 2014 (!!!) sets up so perfectly almost every year with their schedule, no matter what league they are in, who their coach is, who their QB is, etc.

1CaVO00.jpg

Tarp on the QB battle

Spoiler

One of things that I thought about this morning was the last time we followed through a battle for the starting quarterback spot in Aggieland. You had sophomore Kellen Mond and redshirt sophomore Nick Starkel competing against one another and there’s one big similarity and one big difference between the two competitions.

The similarity is that you had a four star dual threat quarterback going against a three star drop back passer. One was supposed to have an advantage with their arm, the other with their legs.

The difference is much bigger…..both Mond and Starkel had vastly more game experience than either second year player Haynes King and third year man Zach Calzada. Both Mond and Starkel had started multiple games the year and both were also far more accomplished… Mond had a 300 yard game to his credit while Starkel had thrown for 400 yards not just once but twice the previous year.

People tend to forget that when dealing with their expectations for King and Calzada who have thrown a combined 28 passes in two total seasons of playing time. As a result, when you watch them, they tend to remind you of players without a lot of snaps under their belts in a couple of ways.

For King, he looks like he’s thinking about every movement when he’s throwing a football, especially in drills…he’s taking the snap, making sure he’s bringing the ball up to shoulder height, setting his feet, and following through on his delivery.

For Calzada, the ball comes out of his hand quickly even though his footwork and delivery aren’t the greatest. The velocity and accuracy also makes him confident, far too confident at times, and he’ll take chances that he shouldn’t which makes him hold the ball too long (as opposed to making bad decisions because he can’t process things quickly enough).

Forget the speed of the game…it’s the speed of their games that is the big factor right now. One needs to move a little faster, the other a little slower.

Whoever makes that adjustment will come out ahead of the other quarterback, at least in a heads’ up comparison without any other factors at play.

On the other hand….the expectations regarding the two players are probably out of kilter in terms of one of them making an immediate impact or carrying the offense. There’s still time for them to get better in the off season but in all likelihood it’s going to take multiple outings during the season for them to get up to speed.

Hopefully for the Aggies, that will happen prior to or on October 9 when they face Alabama.

A few other things:

One, Calzada threw one or two more picks yesterday than King did. In seven on seven work (much like in seven on seven competitions) you’ve got four seconds to deliver the ball or else the play is blown dead. Calzada tended to try to get rid of the ball before the whistle blew while King let the play be blown dead (which is equivalent to a sack or a scramble).

Two, Calzada will take on and run when the opportunity and he’s been solid with his legs when given the opportunity. There’s no question, however, that when King takes off things happen much more quickly and there’s more potential for a big play on the ground.

Three, there’s a sense in the program both quarterbacks are considered to be getting better as they get more work. However, the spring game (whatever its format) isn’t liable to determine the outcome of the battle for the starting role.

Pierogi on A&M getting Perkins to schedule an OV

Spoiler

Houston Cy Park five-star linebacker Harold Perkins is working to set up all five of his official visits. With the NCAA dead period finally set to expire at the end of May, he plans to use a few of them in June and then others during the season.

Perkins had said not too long ago that he did not plan to use officials to schools close to home, as he could get to those on his own. However, the first visit he ended up planning was to Texas A&M. He had it set for June 4-6.

Last week, though, Perkins decided to schedule one with USC that first weekend in June instead. He set it up with the Trojans and planned to talk with Aggie head coach Jimbo Fisher to reschedule to A&M at a different time. However, that conversation went well enough that the visit to A&M is back on.

Perkins said on Sunday evening that he would indeed be at Texas A&M the first weekend in June after all. That is a big deal as most of the Aggie commits will be there that weekend for their visits. That includes good friend Donovan Green and 7v7 teammate Conner Weigman.

Perkins says he plans to now reschedule the USC visit for another time but is not sure when. He has trips set during the season to Florida and Oregon, so has two others he can plan. If he does indeed reschedule to one to USC, it leaves one more visit for him to be able to take.

Perkins does not plan to make a decision until the Under Armour All-American Game in early January. However, A&M is in a good place with him and having him in town in June can only help that.

Fisher was able to talk Perkins out of putting off his A&M visit. USC had it all set up for him that weekend, so it was a big win for the Aggies. Having him in town with six of the eight commits is a big deal.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Tarp on the QB battle

Hide contents

One of things that I thought about this morning was the last time we followed through a battle for the starting quarterback spot in Aggieland. You had sophomore Kellen Mond and redshirt sophomore Nick Starkel competing against one another and there’s one big similarity and one big difference between the two competitions.

The similarity is that you had a four star dual threat quarterback going against a three star drop back passer. One was supposed to have an advantage with their arm, the other with their legs.

The difference is much bigger…..both Mond and Starkel had vastly more game experience than either second year player Haynes King and third year man Zach Calzada. Both Mond and Starkel had started multiple games the year and both were also far more accomplished… Mond had a 300 yard game to his credit while Starkel had thrown for 400 yards not just once but twice the previous year.

People tend to forget that when dealing with their expectations for King and Calzada who have thrown a combined 28 passes in two total seasons of playing time. As a result, when you watch them, they tend to remind you of players without a lot of snaps under their belts in a couple of ways.

For King, he looks like he’s thinking about every movement when he’s throwing a football, especially in drills…he’s taking the snap, making sure he’s bringing the ball up to shoulder height, setting his feet, and following through on his delivery.

For Calzada, the ball comes out of his hand quickly even though his footwork and delivery aren’t the greatest. The velocity and accuracy also makes him confident, far too confident at times, and he’ll take chances that he shouldn’t which makes him hold the ball too long (as opposed to making bad decisions because he can’t process things quickly enough).

Forget the speed of the game…it’s the speed of their games that is the big factor right now. One needs to move a little faster, the other a little slower.

Whoever makes that adjustment will come out ahead of the other quarterback, at least in a heads’ up comparison without any other factors at play.

On the other hand….the expectations regarding the two players are probably out of kilter in terms of one of them making an immediate impact or carrying the offense. There’s still time for them to get better in the off season but in all likelihood it’s going to take multiple outings during the season for them to get up to speed.

Hopefully for the Aggies, that will happen prior to or on October 9 when they face Alabama.

A few other things:

One, Calzada threw one or two more picks yesterday than King did. In seven on seven work (much like in seven on seven competitions) you’ve got four seconds to deliver the ball or else the play is blown dead. Calzada tended to try to get rid of the ball before the whistle blew while King let the play be blown dead (which is equivalent to a sack or a scramble).

Two, Calzada will take on and run when the opportunity and he’s been solid with his legs when given the opportunity. There’s no question, however, that when King takes off things happen much more quickly and there’s more potential for a big play on the ground.

Three, there’s a sense in the program both quarterbacks are considered to be getting better as they get more work. However, the spring game (whatever its format) isn’t liable to determine the outcome of the battle for the starting role.

After having seen Calzada whenever he got some PT, don't even remember when, and then continuing to read stuff like this, I get the impression that he's a dirty hobo's version of Ryan Mallett.

Ryan Mallett was one of my all-time favorite college players to watch from the comedy end of the spectrum. He had a cannon and he knew it. He was also dumber than a box of rocks on the football field and thought he was hot shit. On numerous occasions while at Arkansas, I saw that dude almost overtly decide in the middle of a drive with his team down that he was going to fucking rocket the ball into a touchdown pass, hell or waters high. He'd then immediately run out and try to  throw the ball through several defenders' bodies. Like physically through them.

It looked intentional, as though he saw them between him and his receiver, and didn't give one fuck because he was going to overpower them with his fucking howitzer. Then the opponent would inevitably catch the ball, killing the drive and usually winning the game. We'd fucking wait for it to happen and the build-up and suspense was damned good CFB viewing. The best example of it easily found would be whatever his last bowl game was, in which performed in this manner to a T late in the game, losing it for Arkansas in hilarious fashion.

There's also the Rex Grossman "fuck it, I'm going deep" mantra. Either of those with Calzada will be high comedy. I assume we'll get to see it once either Bilbo decides he's betting on the guy that can throw a spiral more than 15 yards down the field, or after someone snaps Haynes King's 170 pound, ghoulish physique in half like a twig. 

• Haha 5

I think A&M has to get rid of like five or seven guys (although I'm not sure how many returning super seniors they have who don't count against the 85 this year), between guys currently on campus and in the 2021 class who aren't there yet, by fall camp. It'll be interesting to see who gets the boot or decides to leave. Some highly rated DBs like Erick Young and Brian Williams appear to have been passed up 

Calzada was an interception machine in HS who struggled with accuracy issues. “Wild Thing” would be an appropriate nickname. I hope he wins the job. 

King is who we thought he was. As I said after seeing him play multiple HS games, he is a game manager. His Junior year was fools gold because all of his skill players were athletic freaks and teams could not cover/stop all of them. It gave him free receivers or open running lanes on virtually every play. Most QBs can throw bombs to guys who are open by 10 yards. Everyone saw his stats and attributed all of that to King. It mostly wasn’t because of him.  

His Senior year, King looked like shit because most of those guys were gone and he had to carry the offense...and he wasn’t capable of doing so. 

The good news for King is that Jimbo’s offense only requires a game manager. But he still might get murdered because he’s a twig. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Fud said:

One, Calzada threw one or two more picks yesterday than King did.

So ... how many picks did these guys throw?

Unless Tarp was being sardonic and King threw none, if King threw 1 or 2, 'ol Calzada threw 3 or 4 picks in one scrimmage??!!

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Calzada was an interception machine in HS who struggled with accuracy issues. “Wild Thing” would be an appropriate nickname. I hope he wins the job. 

King is who we thought he was. As I said after seeing him play multiple HS games, he is a game manager. His Junior year was fools gold because all of his skill players were athletic freaks and teams could not cover/stop all of them. It gave him free receivers or open running lanes on virtually every play. Most QBs can throw bombs to guys who are open by 10 yards. Everyone saw his stats and attributed all of that to King. It mostly wasn’t because of him.  

His Senior year, King looked like shit because most of those guys were gone and he had to carry the offense...and he wasn’t capable of doing so. 

The good news for King is that Jimbo’s offense only requires a game manager. But he still might get murdered because he’s a twig. 

It was impressive to see them perform mental gymnastics to convince themselves King was better than Card. And continue to do so with Stowers being a capable D-1 QB

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

After having seen Calzada whenever he got some PT, don't even remember when, and then continuing to read stuff like this, I get the impression that he's a dirty hobo's version of Ryan Mallett. 

"I knows somebody gots to have a #2 pencil for Ryan Mallett Zach Calzada"

http://fearandloathinginarkansas.blogspot.com/2014/08/anybody-got-scantron-for-ryan-mallett.html

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What the fuck is wrong with his release? How can you have a dad as a coach and amble training in position specific training and have a release that fucked up?

His Dad was a college offensive lineman at Northwestern State in the great state of Louisiana,  if I recall correctly.  I guess it would be like Herb Hand coaching Case McCoy.  

Wykoff is playing C? Kinda surprising but that would improve their lack of athleticism in the middle for sure. Henson is pissing me off by being competent and decubing them so that even if he moves on the next OL coach could have success as well. 

19 hours ago, Enchubben said:

attempts at 5:00, 5:35, 5:40, 6:18, 8:00, 8:48

Stowers. Calzada.  Stowers. Calzada. Calzada. Calzada (oof). the throw at 10:25 is an abomination but I don't think that guy is even listed on the spring roster.  tbh, Stowers has improved on that intermediate stuff. He already looks much better with some coaching. I still think he was a really odd choice and continues the trend of Jimbo taking a DT and hating the DT for being a DT, but here we are. Calzada is a fucking mess. jesus. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Wykoff is playing C? Kinda surprising but that would improve their lack of athleticism in the middle for sure. Henson is pissing me off by being competent and decubing them so that even if he moves on the next OL coach could have success as well. 

Stowers. Calzada.  Stowers. Calzada. Calzada. Calzada (oof). the throw at 10:25 is an abomination but I don't think that guy is even listed on the spring roster.  tbh, Stowers has improved on that intermediate stuff. He already looks much better with some coaching. I still think he was a really odd choice and continues the trend of Jimbo taking a DT and hating the DT for being a DT, but here we are. Calzada is a fucking mess. jesus. 

No surprise but Calzada has some zip on the ball. Stowers seems to throw floaters. King somewhere in between. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd be mildly surprised if Stowers wasn't the starter by the LSU game. 

I mean, it's possible if King wins the job, Calzone transfers, and King gets injured, but I'd be pretty surprised if he was the starter by then on merit 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I mean, it's possible if King wins the job, Calzone transfers, and King gets injured, but I'd be pretty surprised if he was the starter by then on merit 

I think Stowers is the best QB on their roster. I could see King and Calzone both sucking and Stowers comes in and plays well. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Stowers is the best QB on their roster. I could see King and Calzone both sucking and Stowers comes in and plays well. 

Stowers can hardly hit wide open short routes in practice, as seen above. Plus he'll be a true freshman. Plus he doesn't fit Jimbo's offense as well as King does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd be mildly surprised if Stowers wasn't the starter by the LSU game. 

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Have you ever seen him throw a football? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Baylor Cupp has been held out the last week or 2 and won't play in the Spring game.

It seems like half of their offense has been out the past two weeks. Wonder how many of the injuries are actually serious? 

26 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I do think King is their best bet, because he does have some shiftiness  that will serve him well behind that OL. 

He is slight though, and designed run/option plays will probably break him.

The roller coaster is set up perfectly for this season.  2 scrub teams + Colorado and Arky in September before Bama' comes to town.

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

SIAP ... per Football Scoop, Elko among list of candidates for KU HC position.

I can’t buy it. He’s turned down better options already closer to his stomping grounds on the east coast. For Kansas? The only way he would take that job now is because Jimbo finally insisted he fuck his wife while he watches and that was elko’s last straw. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

SIAP ... per Football Scoop, Elko among list of candidates for KU HC position.

That would be pretty funny. I didn't realize they were still looking for a permanent guy, figured they would give Jones a tryout interim year and then reevaluate in December given the weird timing.  

I bet Elko could do better than that after another strong season though.

50 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can’t buy it. He’s turned down better options already closer to his stomping grounds on the east coast. For Kansas? The only way he would take that job now is because Jimbo finally insisted he fuck his wife while he watches and that was elko’s last straw. 

Maybe he’s tired of not getting P5 HC jobs?