Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

My understanding is he’s taken himself out of the running of many of those opportunities. To change his mind for this? A known dead end n a region that isn’t his comfort zone? Something would have to be up. 

On the other hand, getting paid to not live in College Station? Hell yeah!

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

On the other hand, getting paid to not live in College Station? Hell yeah!

Which would have happened with any of the previous job offers as well? Listen I’m all for cracking jokes, but can they still least follow some semblance of logic? This makes as little sense as your Hudson Card irrational distaste. 

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can’t buy it. He’s turned down better options already closer to his stomping grounds on the east coast. For Kansas? The only way he would take that job now is because Jimbo finally insisted he fuck his wife while he watches and that was elko’s last straw. 

Are you under the impression that Jimbo has not been watching the aggy staff and roster eat Candi this entire time?

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Which would have happened with any of the previous job offers as well? Listen I’m all for cracking jokes, but can they still least follow some semblance of logic? This makes as little sense as your Hudson Card irrational distaste. 

Lighten up. Francis. I’m well aware.

Laughing at them is fun; whatever the reason.  It would be tasty if Elko left them, especially now and for Kansas, a “BDF” school. I certainly don’t expect it to happen. 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Aggy posters are starting to wonder why they wanted an initial counter on Kenneth Phillips 

Sounds like things are going great: https://247sports.com/Article/Kenneth-Phillips-III-Texas-AM-football-spring-2021-injury-164527132/

"We'll see," Fisher said about Phillips being cleared to play in the fall. "We've got [to see] his health and what goes on there first to make sure he's approved to be on the field. And he's still recovering from the injury."

As to if there is a chance that Phillips' college career may be over before it starts, Fisher did not give a definitive answer but said it could be the case.

"Yes," Fisher said of the question of if there is a chance it could be career-ending. "Any injury can be," he added.

"My knee is good to go," Phillips said in December. "I'm not cleared to practice yet but I can do pretty much everything else. I'm lifting, running - just working hard. I still don't know if I'll be cleared in time for spring ball but, even if not, I'll be ready for the season for sure. I'm feeling stronger than ever."

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Isn't he the JAG LB that started the whole "Watch the tape." movement?

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

nah that was a kid from NC.. who went to an FCS school I believe?

Yeah, that was the next season's spare at LB. Kaci Seegars - he's at Liberty. SCREAMING TAKE. WATCH. THIS. TAPE. 

Watch. This. Tape.

This is a kid who you take early because you can get him now and if you hesitate you're running the risk of his offer list blowing up overnight. Then you have a free for all on your hands when it didn't have to be that way.

Kaci Seegars is a guy that Jimbo Fisher, Mike Elko and Tyler Santucci identified as a screaming take, and the staff is trusting their evaluation here and using one of what may end up being only two scholarship LB spots that the Aggies use in the Class of '21. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus I had no idea that kid wasn't still at aTm. I assume he didn't even make it to campus?

He flipped from aggy to Liberty in mid-December and went from "WATCH. THIS. TAPE." to "being processed" so that aggy could make numbers once Tunimese had nowhere else to go and they could make room for Jahmir Johnson. I think Vaka was also in that group that got processed and I don't think that dude has signed anywhere. 

23 minutes ago, bizzle said:

defense has a chance to be really fun. offense needs that tranfer ol from tennessee and bryce foster to come in ready, otherwise may be a bit derpy. we're going to play a lot of ugly games this fall.

It's the Jimbo guarantee. Kind of like our Chris Beard hire - even when it works, it's not exactly must-see TV.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tarp on A&M's shitty QBs

Spoiler

One…going into spring ball, I had every expectation that second year man Haynes King would win A&M’s starting quarterback battle (even if there wasn’t a public admission that the battle was over). We had been told that King’s leadership, work ethic, and personality made the players gravitate towards him. In addition, those same items had also elevated Kellen Mond into the starting role when no one gave him much of a chance on the surface.

That’s evidenced by the fact that King was the only A&M quarterback outside of Kellen Mond to take a snap last season, the fact that Fisher always seems to be coaching King, and that King got the vast majority of the work with the first unit yesterday.

In addition, my past perception of Calzada was that he tended to put too much stock into his arm strength which led to less than optimal choices to force the ball. It appeared that this aspect of his game hadn’t gotten much better and yesterday he once again tried to strong arm a throw along the sidelines while he was on the move and his feet weren’t set. That gave A&M safety Demani Richardson time to undercut the throw and return it for 29 yards.

I also knew that even though King was highly regarded that there would be some growing pains in his development. He was a redshirt freshman with very little game experience and only a year on campus with no spring ball in 2020. Even so, the year under Fisher probably would help his delivery and footwork and in turn boost his accuracy and velocity.

Nonetheless, I sit here today having seen both quarterbacks attempt 60 passes and thinking that from a qualitative standpoint things aren’t nearly as a clear cut as I expected they would be. King had more advantages playing with the first unit for every series he was on the field which was offset to an extent by drops and busted routes. Even so, Calzada had a better quarterback rating despite suffering from about as many drops as King, incurred fewer sacks, operated a more restricted offense with the second unit that included more rollouts due to pressure, and generated 136 yards and a touchdown in two trips with the ones (the Maroon only had 230 yards of total offense in their other eight series).

In addition, Calzada was under duress quite a bit, even when plays were called involved where they rolled the protection to the playside or got the ball out quickly. He threw the ball away multiple times on the first series alone.

No quarterback is going to be functional under that kind of duress.

King’s superior athleticism didn’t come into play due to the format but much like Kellen Mond was coached to do for most of his career, King also didn’t seem to want to take off much either. He even got a hit on his knee in the third quarter and limped to the bench for a while.
Plus, you don’t want your quarterback to take off too much in the SEC even if you’re running more RPOs. Guys that do that will get hit by 300 pound guys too much and they won’t last long or they’re too busy running for five yard gains to stand in the pocket and throw it for 20 instead.

I think the bottom line is that we’ve been conditioned based on everything we know to be predisposed to King but the reality is that both are pretty evenly matched at this stage of their careers.

Two….one of the things that we’ve all got caught up in is evaluating them versus each other as opposed to a standard. I’ve made this point before but neither is at the level that Kellen Mond or Nick Starkel was back in 2018 due to the lack of game reps. In fact, I went back and looked at the spring game stats for 2017 when both Mond and Starkel were first time participants. They were both under a 50% completion rate and Starkel was the “victim of a number of drops”.

Things don’t change much when you’re dealing with inexperienced passers. They don’t happen nearly as quickly as they need to and the mistakes tend to be more egregious. In addition, they also put you in harm’s way more often that you would like.

Jimbo Fisher keeps harping on the fact that the pieces around the quarterback need to be better and he’s absolutely right about that. The drops will decline (if you’re going to sit 15 players down then don’t expect the other 70 to have to same attention span as if this were a regular season game) and the offensive line will get better if one or two guys can work their way into the lineup and they work together as a unit on a consistent basis (most spring games don’t feature stellar line play, especially versus this caliber of defense).

But we all need to slow our roll about what someone can accomplish against Alabama in game six of the regular season without some help.

Three…does A&M need to give off the vibe that this is a competition that will be decided in August and not the spring? You might lose someone to the portal in the interim and then like a lot of teams you’re down to a true freshman as your backup.

Plus, do you need to keep seeing how both of these guys develop? A&M didn’t talk multiple seniors into coming back so that they could make a national title run in 2022.

The flip side to that is giving someone starter’s reps in the fall and perhaps accelerating their development.

I don’t know which one is the right answer. I just know that the quarterback piece is a series of multiple choice questions at this point and one wrong answer could have a multiplier affect on everything you’re hoping to accomplish this season.

40 minutes ago, Fud said:

Tarp on A&M's shitty QBs

Hide contents

One…going into spring ball, I had every expectation that second year man Haynes King would win A&M’s starting quarterback battle (even if there wasn’t a public admission that the battle was over). We had been told that King’s leadership, work ethic, and personality made the players gravitate towards him. In addition, those same items had also elevated Kellen Mond into the starting role when no one gave him much of a chance on the surface.

That’s evidenced by the fact that King was the only A&M quarterback outside of Kellen Mond to take a snap last season, the fact that Fisher always seems to be coaching King, and that King got the vast majority of the work with the first unit yesterday.

In addition, my past perception of Calzada was that he tended to put too much stock into his arm strength which led to less than optimal choices to force the ball. It appeared that this aspect of his game hadn’t gotten much better and yesterday he once again tried to strong arm a throw along the sidelines while he was on the move and his feet weren’t set. That gave A&M safety Demani Richardson time to undercut the throw and return it for 29 yards.

I also knew that even though King was highly regarded that there would be some growing pains in his development. He was a redshirt freshman with very little game experience and only a year on campus with no spring ball in 2020. Even so, the year under Fisher probably would help his delivery and footwork and in turn boost his accuracy and velocity.

Nonetheless, I sit here today having seen both quarterbacks attempt 60 passes and thinking that from a qualitative standpoint things aren’t nearly as a clear cut as I expected they would be. King had more advantages playing with the first unit for every series he was on the field which was offset to an extent by drops and busted routes. Even so, Calzada had a better quarterback rating despite suffering from about as many drops as King, incurred fewer sacks, operated a more restricted offense with the second unit that included more rollouts due to pressure, and generated 136 yards and a touchdown in two trips with the ones (the Maroon only had 230 yards of total offense in their other eight series).

In addition, Calzada was under duress quite a bit, even when plays were called involved where they rolled the protection to the playside or got the ball out quickly. He threw the ball away multiple times on the first series alone.

No quarterback is going to be functional under that kind of duress.

King’s superior athleticism didn’t come into play due to the format but much like Kellen Mond was coached to do for most of his career, King also didn’t seem to want to take off much either. He even got a hit on his knee in the third quarter and limped to the bench for a while.
Plus, you don’t want your quarterback to take off too much in the SEC even if you’re running more RPOs. Guys that do that will get hit by 300 pound guys too much and they won’t last long or they’re too busy running for five yard gains to stand in the pocket and throw it for 20 instead.

I think the bottom line is that we’ve been conditioned based on everything we know to be predisposed to King but the reality is that both are pretty evenly matched at this stage of their careers.

Two….one of the things that we’ve all got caught up in is evaluating them versus each other as opposed to a standard. I’ve made this point before but neither is at the level that Kellen Mond or Nick Starkel was back in 2018 due to the lack of game reps. In fact, I went back and looked at the spring game stats for 2017 when both Mond and Starkel were first time participants. They were both under a 50% completion rate and Starkel was the “victim of a number of drops”.

Things don’t change much when you’re dealing with inexperienced passers. They don’t happen nearly as quickly as they need to and the mistakes tend to be more egregious. In addition, they also put you in harm’s way more often that you would like.

Jimbo Fisher keeps harping on the fact that the pieces around the quarterback need to be better and he’s absolutely right about that. The drops will decline (if you’re going to sit 15 players down then don’t expect the other 70 to have to same attention span as if this were a regular season game) and the offensive line will get better if one or two guys can work their way into the lineup and they work together as a unit on a consistent basis (most spring games don’t feature stellar line play, especially versus this caliber of defense).

But we all need to slow our roll about what someone can accomplish against Alabama in game six of the regular season without some help.

Three…does A&M need to give off the vibe that this is a competition that will be decided in August and not the spring? You might lose someone to the portal in the interim and then like a lot of teams you’re down to a true freshman as your backup.

Plus, do you need to keep seeing how both of these guys develop? A&M didn’t talk multiple seniors into coming back so that they could make a national title run in 2022.

The flip side to that is giving someone starter’s reps in the fall and perhaps accelerating their development.

I don’t know which one is the right answer. I just know that the quarterback piece is a series of multiple choice questions at this point and one wrong answer could have a multiplier affect on everything you’re hoping to accomplish this season.

Hold up, they think they're making a national title run this year?

Happy Danny Glover GIF by Regal

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, he also believes he was lied to by the staff. They were the most aggressive in assuring him he could play defense. Then he’s not really even given a chance on that side of the ball. 

Somehow, Elko and Wiltfong believe that ATM leads for Harris while this shit was going on. Good stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, he also believes he was lied to by the staff. They were the most aggressive in assuring him he could play defense. Then he’s not really even given a chance on that side of the ball. 

Somehow, Elko and Wiltfong believe that ATM leads for Harris while this shit was going on. Good stuff. 

Oh so I had it backwards. He wants to play D but they only gave him WR? Guess I just assumed all kids want to play offense these days