Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

52 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I got a reprimand at Hornfans for calling him Japorkie. It was disrespectful. 

Where do think I learned the nickname?

I don't have a jihad against the old site, but they could be a little snippy sometimes. Finding Hornfans in '99 when I was in LA was one of the great discoveries of my life.

I know. Sad story, brah.

Hornfans from 1999 to about 2003 or so was the peak of Longhorn internetdom.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I got a reprimand at Hornfans for calling him Japorkie. It was disrespectful. 

Where do think I learned the nickname?

I don't have a jihad against the old site, but they could be a little snippy sometimes. Finding Hornfans in '99 when I was in LA was one of the great discoveries of my life.

I know. Sad story, brah.

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Hornfans from 1999 to about 2003 or so was the peak of Longhorn internetdom.

Threw some pretty kickass bowl tailgates too.

I think we went through 40 30-packs of beer and 900 sausages at one Holiday Bowl.   I did most of the cooking and smelled like a fucking sausage for a week, I swear.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I got a long timeout for quoting a Scipio Text post making fun of Jamaar Taylor, who Scipio says lamented the day he stopped being covered by 5'8" guys named Chuy as opposed to brothers named LaJarametrious.  The context of my post was about the next RGV all star A&M signed, Bradley Stephens.  And it was a direct quote from a post Scipio made that was enshrined in Hornfans classics.

I did not go to tailgates back then.  I was in law school from 2000-03 and spent all my fall weekends in South Texas hunting at the family place, so I never met Katy until a Texas-Rice baseball game around 2005 or so at Reckling.  I was pretty shocked at how fat she was.  And how much she just seemed like a miserable person.  Maybe she was having a bad day.  But she ran Hornfans into the ground out of pure spite.  That could have been a big money maker if done right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

HammLite with a pretty hilarious update on Isaiah Sategna - given that he's clearly looking around, based on the recent Texas and LSU updates.

Our USC site confirmed with him that he plans to take an official visit there this summer. I honestly don’t think Trojans are a big threat to A&M. The question then is if he will take a visit to LSU. But Andrew and I both believe that the Tigers waited too long to offer.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/USC-Trojans-set-official-visit-with-Texas-AM-Aggie-commit-164976241/

LSU was just too late with their offer (despite BOTH parents being LSU grads?) and the USC visit is no big deal. 

• Haha 3

Not much LSU pumping about Sategna over at SEC Rant.

His parents were track and field folks at LSU when Pat Henry was there, their T&F coach.  Pat has been at A&M and famously turned an also-ran (pun intended) program into a national competitor in mens and womens T&F, winning several national championships already. LSU also doesn't break a sweat in recruiting wide receivers, so hopefully they won't pursue a low 4-star.  Besides, they already have a higher ranked, small, fast dude at WR in their class aside from two other WRs.

USC, considering it seems a random choice for a kid from Texas/Arkansas with Louisiana parents, seems like more of a threat, unless there is some connection to USC. USC has a good T&F program too.

If A&M can hold on to Sategna, I'll take that as a bit of a payback for Kary Vincent, Jr... although Vincent Jr not going to his dad's school is more of a blame on Sumlin's putrid D than on Vincent Sr not impressing on his kid to go to A&M. You gotta have the right opportunities and can't expect a legacy to just come on down, regardless-- though there are some of those too who live in maroon (or burnt orange) houses.

• Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Not much LSU pumping about Sategna over at SEC Rant.

His parents were track and field folks at LSU when Pat Henry was there, their T&F coach.  Pat has been at A&M and famously turned an also-ran (pun intended) program into a national competitor in mens and womens T&F, winning several national championships already. LSU also doesn't break a sweat in recruiting wide receivers, so hopefully they won't pursue a low 4-star.  Besides, they already have a higher ranked, small, fast dude at WR in their class aside from two other WRs.

USC, considering it seems a random choice for a kid from Texas/Arkansas with Louisiana parents, seems like more of a threat, unless there is some connection to USC. USC has a good T&F program too.

If A&M can hold on to Sategna, I'll take that as a bit of a payback for Kary Vincent, Jr... although Vincent Jr not going to his dad's school is more of a blame on Sumlin's putrid D than on Vincent Sr not impressing on his kid to go to A&M. You gotta have the right opportunities and can't expect a legacy to just come on down, regardless-- though there are some of those too who live in maroon (or burnt orange) houses.

Plus a&m is a shithole. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Incredible stuff to be days removed from seeing more Alabama players go in the first round than you had taken the entire draft and confidently state that the talent gap has been narrowing for years. 

Sure though, can't discount that Kyle snap count advantage.

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Incredible stuff to be days removed from seeing more Alabama players go in the first round than you had taken the entire draft and confidently state that the talent gap has been narrowing for years. 

Sure though, can't discount that Kyle snap count advantage.

What the hell is the Kyle snap count advantage? 

I know it's not Jimbo running the play clock under 5 seconds on every single play, and the Aggy offense running 55 plays a game. 

We're number four! We're number four! We're number four!

Rarefied air. Indeed, the Aggies arrive among the elite of also rans. I'm sure they'll have no trouble maintaining perspective about losing their line and senior QB. They will appy their usual logic: Aggies will be better than last year because it's just plain logical. Nobody else will improve, only the Aggies.

It Texas truly has developed an atmosphere of entitlement (which I doubt), imagine the miasma of losing that permeates the land of the ever-overconfident. 

This past year was the season they were aiming at. Good season against meh competition but not the big taco. Now comes a season they weren't aiming at, but they just can't envision a world where the good ol' fightin' Texas Aggies from Texas won't show that rough tough real stuff in the song war hymn.

Hell of a show.

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I know it's not Jimbo running the play clock under 5 seconds on every single play, and the Aggy offense running 55 plays a game. 

Kyle is loud. People have real fear of playing there. Other teams are too rattled to snap the ball. It's Kyle fucking Field. You know, the stadium where Texas is so scared that they have a winning record there.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

We're number four! We're number four! We're number four!

Rarefied air. Indeed, the Aggies arrive among the elite of also rans. I'm sure they'll have no trouble maintaining perspective about losing their line and senior QB. They will appy their usual logic: Aggies will be better than last year because it's just plain logical. Nobody else will improve, only the Aggies.

It Texas truly has developed an atmosphere of entitlement (which I doubt), imagine the miasma of losing that permeates the land of the ever-overconfident. 

This past year was the season they were aiming at. Good season against meh competition but not the big taco. Now comes a season they weren't aiming at, but they just can't envision a world where the good ol' fightin' Texas Aggies from Texas won't show that rough tough real stuff in the song war hymn.

Hell of a show.

Props for dropping "miasma" in there!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nothing To Add said:

No way aggy doesn't beat Bama this year!  Why just last week the two teams combined to have 6 first round picks in the NFL draft ya stupid sip.

Bama had 6, and aggy had ... Nothing to Add, huh?

Tarp on the aggy CBs - post-spring ::

I’ve written already about the Aggies’ corners in a couple of pieces (in particular on how the group is making a transition from bigger to more athletic players) but here’s some more thoughts after the spring game.

As a Dallas Cowboys’ fan, it was interesting to watch the draft and see them move towards taking bigger more physical corners while the Aggies are moving away from that same philosophy even though both play similar coverages (a three high look, either man free or sky coverages). In college, you can make contact all the way down the field in coverage; in the pros, you’re allowed contact within five yards of the line of scrimmage (although that rule is inconsistently enforced).

On the surface, that would tend to support bigger corners in college but A&M is moving away from that even though they’re still playing the same look. Teams such as LSU, Florida, and Alabama (as well as the proliferation of spread offenses as a whole) have forced that change not just because of their speed on the outside but the way that they use it. In particular, both programs found different way to develop their deep passing games (the Tigers via the ability of Joe Burrow to extend plays, the Tide by improving their protection to the point that they made more use of double moves than anyone else I’ve ever seen). Florida became known for wheel routes and deep crossers.

In order to have a chance versus quarterbacks who can hold the ball as well as RPOs (which put individual defenders in various conflicts and create vertical lanes for throws and yardage the catch), you’ve got to have more people that can run.

Now, onto the players…

Myles Jones is more of an old school three deep, cloud coverage corner. He can get physical with people (although A&M is more of a trail coverage team) and compensates for a lack of top end speed with knowledge of where his help is or isn’t. If there’s a mistake to his side, he’s probably not the one that made it.

Jaylon Jones spent a lot of time at the nickel this spring but wasn’t seen in the spring game. He’s going to eventually have to morph into the same type of player (he’ll eventually be a better corner) as Jaylon via experience although he is more sudden and has better ability to break on the ball.

We didn’t see much of Elijah Blades but he’s got the hips, quick feet, speed, and ball skills to be productive out there. Really, the primary question with him is health…can you trust him in a primary role for 13 games?

Brian George is more like Myles Jones although he has better long speed. However, he’s still learning all of the nuances of the position and the scheme from the standpoint of staying low in his backpedal, reading routes, and understanding where everyone else is behind him.
The rookies, Tyreek Chappell and Deuce Harmon, are going to struggle against the better wideouts in terms of being physical against blockers in the screen and run games and stems at the top of routes. Nonetheless, they can move laterally and they’re not afraid to get their hands on you and redirect you because of their recovery speed.

Overall, the position is being upgraded to meet the needs of what modern college football is all about. I like where A&M is going with everyone now and they’re in a good place with their experience among the older guys and the athleticism from the newcomers. In conjunction with better safety play, that means fewer chances for the types of big plays that define the offenses of A&M’s primary competitors for SEC supremacy and gives the Aggies’ the chance to stay in games and rely on the strengths of their offense.

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Tarp on the aggy CBs - post-spring ::

Tarp:

1. Myles Jones is slow (but smart!)
  2. Jaylon Jones is maybe a Nickel, but we don't really know. Needs to morph into a better corner....like Jaylon Jones. Thumbs up, Tarp. 
  3. I know nothing about Blades, so can I trust him?
  4. George looks lost in coverage, but he's faster than Myles Jones so we've got that going for us. 
  5. Expect nothing from the Freshman

What a colossal waste of keystrokes. 

• Hook 'Em 6

12 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Tyreek Chappell is going to be really damn good for A&M. I think he's a future 1st round/early day 2 pick.

This is part an expression of my skepticism, and part honest question: Who defensively has Jimbo Fisher and Elko developed and gotten drafted highly that wasn't already a highly ranked recruit coming out of HS? I feel like all their picks are in the lines. 

Now let me answer my own question:
Donovan Wilson in the 6th round in 2019, safety, was an 83 out of HS.
Armani Watts, 4th round in 2018 and was a 92 in HS, safety.
Justin Evans, 2nd round in 2017, safety, 87 in HS.

I mean, nary a CB to be found, but they've sent a couple of low ranked safety recruits into various rounds. Overall I'd say:

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

What a colossal waste of keystrokes. 

I had missed it before but before the CB summary he did a WR summary - enjoy - also, feel free to summarize again as you seem to have a pretty strong Tarp-to-english skill set ::

- I posted this in a discussion on the wideouts when they were taking criticism on the number of drops that they had in the spring game. A&M boss Jimbo Fisher noted that they had nine drops in a game with 86 pass attempts which is a drop rate of 10.4%. While that sounds catastrophic, A&M’s drop rate last season per secstatcat.com was 9%. The drop rate in the SEC as a whole was also about 10%.

- Overall, A&M’s drop rate in the spring game really wasn’t much different than what we were used to seeing. It just seemed like it was a lot worse because both teams combined for nearly 90 throws which is also a big number.

- Here’s something else: A&M’s West Coast offense is more precise and timing based than most with its reads and routes. Thus, it tends to favor certain types of players. Of A&M’s top six wideouts from the spring game, four of them had fathers who had played in the league or are high school coaches.

We can talk about how A&M needs to get faster but it also begs the question if A&M needs to start recruiting a certain type of player for the position moreso than other attributes.

- People forget how denuded the receiving corps was by attrition last season. A&M lost an entire two deep out there. You had lots of guys who had to play big roles whether they wanted to or now….a guy bouncing back and forth between running back and the slot, another playing even though they were coming off of a major injury who wasn't 100%, and another who hadn’t caught a pass coming into the season.

- The X is the possession WR and runs shallow cross and hitch. The Z runs the deep dig and deep crossing routes. The Y runs the corner, post, and wheel routes. Keep these things in mind when you start looking at their productivity per catch, etc.

- I still think that the younger guys have work to do in terms of squaring off their routes but they seem to be able to find places to go depending on the coverage. Their footwork has improved as a group with experience.

- It helped that A&M put the quarterbacks on the move and used more misdirection and RPOs in the spring game than they did last season. That allowed the wideouts to find throwing lanes in the coverage.

- Chase Lane gives himself a chance on every route because he really gets off of the line of scrimmage quickly. He’s into his route and stemming at the top of it before the defense has much of an opportunity to do anything and he’ll also find grass to make things happen after the catch.

- Hezekiah Jones needs to be able to catch the ball with his hands moreso than his body which would improve his overall numbers. However, he’s got more speed and juice than anyone else at the position in the spring game now that he’s healthy.

- Ainias Smith starts looking for the ball too early in routes which tends to negate his speed. He needs to focus on stemming at the top of the route to generate better separation.

- Jalen Preston is the best route runner among the second unit guys in terms of his footwork due to his experience.

- Could this group use more top end speed? Yes. Can they be adequate to the task this season, generate separation, and create yards after the catch better than they were able to in 2020? Yes, and especially if A&M uses more RPOs and puts the quarterback on the move to a greater degree than they did last season. I liked what they did in the spring game regardless of it was because of concerns over how the offensive line would hold up or just a change in the scheme and we need to see more of them in 2021 to give the group and the offense as a whole a better chance.

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I had missed it before but before the CB summary he did a WR summary 

Tarp:

1. Our WRs have a perceived drop problem. I've researched it, and we have a drop problem. But, we've always had a drop problem so quit crying about it
  2. Don't forget, we have to play a bunch of unprepared spares because legitimate WRs wise up when they get here and bolt for better offenses. I'm using a big word here to obscure this point.
  3. Chase Lane will be awesome on our 7v7 team
  4. Hezekiah jones hasn't picked up any coaching in the last (check calendar) 5 years, but he'll play a lot because...see point 2
  5. Smith is just a grab bag of skills, he won't play. 
  6. I'm going to say something nice about Preston because he will absolutely play way more than you want him to. Slow, but fucks up less.
  7. The OL will drop off, the QBs are bad, and our WRs are slow. Jimbo should really run more RPO because it looked so good in the spring game. 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, golfclap said:

We can talk about how A&M needs to get faster but it also begs the question if A&M needs to start recruiting a certain type of player for the position moreso than other attributes.

I've been wondering this for awhile; should A&M recruit more Chase Lane's, and fewer Demas/Preston/Wright/Marshall types?

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Tarp:

1. Our WRs have a perceived drop problem. I've researched it, and we have a drop problem. But, we've always had a drop problem so quit crying about it
  2. Don't forget, we have to play a bunch of unprepared spares because legitimate WRs wise up when they get here and bolt for better offenses. I'm using a big word here to obscure this point.
  3. Chase Lane will be awesome on our 7v7 team
  4. Hezekiah jones hasn't picked up any coaching in the last (check calendar) 5 years, but he'll play a lot because...see point 2
  5. Smith is just a grab bag of skills, he won't play. 
  6. I'm going to say something nice about Preston because he will absolutely play way more than you want him to. Slow, but fucks up less.
  7. The OL will drop off, the QBs are bad, and our WRs are slow. Jimbo should really run more RPO because it looked so good in the spring game. 

You had me until I reached Chase Lane 

8E467AC9-598B-442E-8BBC-0B14C402E582.gif

10 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ll take that bet right now.  

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is part an expression of my skepticism, and part honest question: Who defensively has Jimbo Fisher and Elko developed and gotten drafted highly that wasn't already a highly ranked recruit coming out of HS? I feel like all their picks are in the lines. 

Now let me answer my own question:
Donovan Wilson in the 6th round in 2019, safety, was an 83 out of HS.
Armani Watts, 4th round in 2018 and was a 92 in HS, safety.
Justin Evans, 2nd round in 2017, safety, 87 in HS.

I mean, nary a CB to be found, but they've sent a couple of low ranked safety recruits into various rounds. Overall I'd say:

200.gif

I'm trusting a friend who saw him play live multiple times up there. I believe he was targeted 48 times in his junior year and only allowed one completion. I think he's a third round pick at the latest and I'm disappointed that Rutgers had no shot with him more than anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is part an expression of my skepticism, and part honest question: Who defensively has Jimbo Fisher and Elko developed and gotten drafted highly that wasn't already a highly ranked recruit coming out of HS? 

this is a weird question - are they supposed to be magically getting non-talented guys they inherited drafted via their x&o wizardry?

guessing we're about to see a handful of guys over the next few years - demani richardson, both jones, blades (if healthy, he'll test well) and i like the early returns on chappel as well. 

24 minutes ago, bizzle said:

this is a weird question -

are they supposed to be magically getting non-talented guys they inherited drafted via their x&o wizardry?

Sam Cosmi, Ta'Quan Graham, and Sam Ehlinger (from a coaching staff that was all fired) were all ranked lower than Armani Watts (for instance) and were from a transition class and so while not inherited I'd say ... yes?

That's the job.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the question isn't that weird, esp as it pertained specifically to Chappell (88 overall) being a top 3 round pick. Essentially asking have they developed any non-blue chip players into draft picks? (specifically non-LOS players) Richardson was very highly rated as was Jaylon Jones.

Sydney :: 

I feel like all their picks are in the lines....    ... nary a CB to be found, but they've sent a couple of low ranked safety recruits into various rounds. 

I think Chappell's background playing LB will actually help him and he does appear to have all the athletic traits and bringing a physical nature while perhaps being a bit undersized is good. Does that translate to a top 1-3 round pick? Will he be developed in his time under Rushing/Elko into one? It seems like a pretty rational question. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fud said:

I've been wondering this for awhile; should A&M recruit more Chase Lane's, and fewer Demas/Preston/Wright/Marshall types?

As long as Dameyune Craig is the coach - yes, they should focus on guys that already have technique instead of development prospects. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bizzle said:

this is a weird question - are they supposed to be magically getting non-talented guys they inherited drafted via their x&o wizardry?

guessing we're about to see a handful of guys over the next few years - demani richardson, both jones, blades (if healthy, he'll test well) and i like the early returns on chappel as well. 

Well, bud, considering the context of my post was about another seemingly not talented player out of HS being coached into a first rounder but a staff that hasn’t done so previously, it’s not really a weird question. 

On 5/4/2021 at 7:16 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I went to the TxState game at aggy 2 years ago as a guest of some friends (long story) and the crowd was slow to arrive, never filled above 65-70% and were quick to leave.   It was loud as shit at one point with about half the stadium empty because they pipe in fan noise over the speakers.  I started paying attention to the noise level and general fan apathy at certain points and am 100% certain that was the case.

Now I understand it was legal to fake crowd noise in 2020 due to limited/no crowds, but I thought it was illegal to do that previously.  It was absurdly loud and certainly distracting for TxSt, lending to the mysticism of the tackle box.  Fortunately they refrained from playing sandstorm. 

I recall an opposing coach a few years ago (think it was Mullen) making a snarky comment about how loud the crowd noise was, calling them out without actually calling it fake.

Jimbo Fisher has never met a square peg that he didn't then attempt to force in a shitty offense hole

Since making the move, Garnett reports considerable interest from Power 5 programs, with Malzahn's UCF staff in touch as well as Florida State and Louisville from the ACC, initially. Since, he says Texas A&M, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Indiana, Virginia Tech, Utah and others have communicated interest.  

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/power-5-programs-courting-auburn-qb-transfer-chayil-garnett

https://247sports.com/player/chayil-garnett-46052903/

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Wait is this about football or Candi?