Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

Jimbo and the gomers sure are talking a bunch of shit before the season.  We need them to aggy up a game or 2 this year, for Saban to drop 50+, and lose to the Ogre in the end.  Would absolutely love to see Freshwater beat them then troll on Twitter afterwards.  Not sure if Auburn can continue to win at Kyle Field like they always do.  I'd even settle for Kent State and that returning #1 offense to score 20-30 in a losing effort to drum up concerns.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Is there just one guy on the aggy boards with a weird complex about Frisco or is it a fanbase-wide thing?

Ha! You know there isn’t any redeeming or original individual thought or concept with regard to that clown cult, 

• Hook 'Em 3

Tarp on the defensive depth chart 

Spoiler

Texas A&M's offense was probably more unsettled by the spring game than it was going into the spring. That side of the ball didn't have a lot of depth to begin with, multiple people had to miss time before before workouts even began, and that number increased significantly during spring ball.

In contrast, the defense was missing a number of key contributors in the spring game....three cornerbacks and two starting defensive ends....and another cornerback was lost in the game itself.

No one really noticed because it's a deep and experienced unit that returns 20 of 22 players in the depth chart from last season. In fact, it's got so many people back that players who had significant roles during the spring game won't be in the two deep when the season opener against Kent State rolls around. 

Here's a look at the two deep on that side of the ball with additional commentary on some of the guys who are just outside of the depth chart but can be capable players on what should be the best unit A&M has fielded in a couple of decades.

EDGE

Micheal Clemons, sixth year (three star)

Tyree Johnson, fifth year (three star)

Donnell Harris, second year (four star)

Clemons who could have left for the draft but now returns for his sixth season. He's started at both end spots in the past and was the edge player last season before he was lost for the year with an injury midway through the season. He could go back to the opposite side but Johnson (23 tackles, 6.0 TFL) played well once Clemons went down via his strong hands and relentless style.

Harris flashed in the spring game with his get off and bend. He's not big enough to be an every down player but if you turn him loose on passing downs even experienced tackles are going to be setting up deeper than they normally would.

END

Demarvin Leal, third year (five star)

Micheal Clemons, sixth year (three star)

Fadil Diggs, second year (four star)

Leal is opposite the edge player for the Aggies, someone who can line up as a heavy five 5 tech or a 4I, someone who can set the edge versus the run but has sufficiently good get off and hands to be productive behind the line of scrimmage (7.0 TFL). Clemons can move over here when Johnson comes in. Diggs needs to to add mass to his big frame while offering plus athleticism for his size.

NOSE

McKinnley Jackson, second year (four star)

Isaiah Raikes, second year (three star)

Jackson has more get off than NFL draft choice Bobby Brown and probably plays with better leverage due to his height. Raikes is similarly built and will essentially be the third player in the rotation. Both can line up at either tackle spot.

THREE TECH

Jayden Peevy, fifth year (four star)

Adarious Jones, third year (three star)

Peevy is a run down player with great hands to free himself up on the interior. Jones was injured and missed all of last season but looks to be pretty well recovered. He's a bit undersized and is still learning the position from a technique standpoint but comes off of the ball well.

MIKE LINEBACKER

Andre White, three years (four star)

Chris Russell, three years (three star)

White missed the spring game as well as other parts of the spring due to injury but was the third backer in the rotation last season and started in the Capital One Orange Bowl (eight stops, four solos). He plays downhill. Russell can scrape and run and understands where he needs to be in terms of both his run fits and pass coverage. He's the third backer in the rotation.

WILL LINEBACKER

Aaron Hansford, sixth year (four star)

Edgerrin Cooper, second year (four star)

Hansford is a straight line player who can really close on the ball and has improved immensely in terms of playing routes and knowing where quarterbacks are going with the ball (three pass breakups in the spring game). Cooper has immense closing speed and vision but needs strength to become an every down backer.

CORNERBACK

Jaylon Jones, second year (five star)

Elijah Blades, fifth year (four star)

Jones is a bigger, old school style of corner who saw time at the nickel in the spring and has the vision and physicality to play safety. Blades opted out of last year and given his injury history a backup role would suit him admirably (he was held out of lot of contact work in the spring as well).

CORNERBACK

Myles Jones, fifth year (three star)

Brian George, fourth year (four star)

Jones has learned how to anticipate routes and know where his help is coming from. George saw a lot of time in scrimmages and the spring game and has improved from last season. However, everyone is really excited about early enrollees Deuce Harmon and Tyreek Chappell who played like veterans in their first taste of college ball.

NICKEL

Antonio Johnson, second year (four star)

Erick Young, third year (four star)

Jaylon Jones saw time here earlier in the spring, missed some workouts, and so Johnson moved back there from safety during the latter part of the spring (he started the bowl game at this spot). Young is built like a mini-linebacker or big safety. 

SAFETY

Leon O'Neal Jr., fourth year (four star)

Keldrick Carper, fifth year (three star)

O’Neal has improved every year he has been on campus and held off Antonio Johnson in the spring. He's bigger and his conditioning is better than ever. Carper is smart and is a quality utility player who can play both safety spots, especially over the top as a centerfielder. He's essentially the third player in the rotation and is a capable spot starter.

SAFETY

Demani Richardson, third year (four star)

46COMMENTS

Brian Williams, third year (four star)

Richardson is in better shape than ever and is reading routes like you would expect someone to do, especially nearer the line of scrimmage. He's now got to translate that ability to doing so down on deeper ones as well. We'll list Williams here but Carper is essentially the backup at both spots and if A&M had to go with a fourth safety long term it would probably be Johnson with someone else stepping in at nickel.

3 hours ago, Fud said:

We'll list Williams here but Carper is essentially the backup at both spots and if A&M had to go with a fourth safety long term it would probably be Johnson with someone else stepping in at nickel.

At one point the recruiting services had him as the #3 recruit in the country. He ended up 72 in the end. One start and 7 tackles (2 solo) for his career to date. Now it's embarrassing to list him as a backup and they would move several players just to keep him off the field. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

At one point the recruiting services had him as the #3 recruit in the country. He ended up 72 in the end. One start and 7 tackles (2 solo) for his career to date. Now it's embarrassing to list him as a backup and they would move several players just to keep him off the field. 

Williams might be one of the only players on the roster who can’t beat Slo’Neal in a foot race. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://insidetexas.com/forums/threads/regional-spring-check-ins-texas-a-m.102173/

In summation

It’s hard to know exactly what to make of the Aggies in 2021 and it depends a lot on what you think of Jimbo Fisher and his staff and whether they can plug in the next generation of athletes, many of whom are superior to their predecessors, and quickly take things up a notch.

From what I’ve observed in recruiting, it’s often seemed the Aggies have been terrific at stockpiling difference-making infrastructure pieces but have struggled to get the game-changers on the perimeter, at least on defense. With their relative youth in the passing game and likely need to shade help over their coverage-oriented defensive backs, I think they’ll lack the top gear you need in the passing game and pass defense to win at the highest levels.

That said, much of the rest of the SEC has the same problem and I think the Aggies will stand out amongst teams trying to bang their heads against the wall in the trenches as a strategy. Offensive line coach Josh Henson has really put together a resume over the last decade and they have a lot to work with there while the defensive front will be a real challenge so long as Leal is involved.

It’s also possible they’ll be better on the perimeter and even at quarterback than a year ago, if not 2020 Alabama or 2019 LSU level, and build on their 9-1 season from a year ago with a 10-2 type campaign. The quarterback battle and how much they can grow in attacking the matchups on the perimeter created by their run game and inside trio of Wydermyer, Spiller, and Smith should set their ceiling.

26 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They are going to lose a ton on defense after this year.  Three of top four CB's, probably both Safety's, both LB's if White leaves, and everyone up front minus Jackson.

I'd expect after a strong year on defense (and knowing they are poised to take a step back) next offseason is the year Elko hits eject as well. 

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They are going to lose a ton on defense after this year.  Three of top four CB's, probably both Safety's, both LB's if White leaves, and everyone up front minus Jackson.

Well they're definitely going to improve at one position in 2022 at least...

Edited by Bevo14

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Fucking Boyd overanalyzing himself into batshit again. He has no concrete ideas about anything. It's all fluid. 

I didn't realize that texifornia was linking to Boyd until I saw your reference. I clicked over for the grins and was not disappointed. That guy is fucking unbelievable.

I don't personally think Haynes King will be better than Kellen Mond over the courses of their respective careers, but sure, he could.

This season? He'll be better than Mond was in 2020...? I mean.... the chance of that isn't zero, I guess, but when you analyze what might happen, you tend to focus on logical potential developments.

Our revenue growth target for 2022 is 11%, unless we invent a pill that creates a 24-hour continuous orgasm, in which case I would revise that slightly upward to 11,000%. 

Bob, we make industrial machinery.

Well, yeah, but it could happen.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I stopped reading once I saw Olin Buchanan's name on the byline. If I want to read a bunch of uninformed bullshit from some casual racists, I'll spend more time on the football board here.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, texifornia said:

More

E12-Lp2WQAQdwgm?format=jpg&name=mediumE12-L_JX0AASjla?format=jpg&name=mediumE12-MRoWYAAFol_?format=jpg&name=mediumE12-Mg0WQAY6gzd?format=jpg&name=medium

I don't get Marshall or any other top flight receiver having any interest in a Jimbo Fisher offense. Fisher's track record of not maximizing WR potential is well documented. Must be the bags.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, TBGFL said:

I don't get Marshall or any other top flight receiver having any interest in a Jimbo Fisher offense. Fisher's track record of not maximizing WR potential is well documented. Must be the bags.

Marshall is not exactly a paragon of off-field healthy choices.

18 hours ago, texifornia said:

More

E12-Lp2WQAQdwgm?format=jpg&name=mediumE12-L_JX0AASjla?format=jpg&name=mediumE12-MRoWYAAFol_?format=jpg&name=mediumE12-Mg0WQAY6gzd?format=jpg&name=medium

Interesting that Humphrey has fallen out of the class, seemingly so they can go all out for Harris and Brooks. Pretty sure he was a silent for them at one point 

It's funny how the Aggies go full "aren't we classy" when someone they don't care about leaves. 

Kyler Murray leaves and he's poison, will never amount to anything, and isn't rough tough real stuff SEC ready.

This is a subcategory of the letters from visiting fans who loved, loved, loved the Kyle field experience, the beautiful campus, the friendly fans who helped them distinguish between their asses and holes in the sacred ground.

Good for good ol' Cam! He'll always be an Aggie. Whoop! We're classy. The classiest people always tell you how classy they are!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/20/2021 at 4:44 PM, texifornia said:

Oh this is the uncut shit

E12-FbzXEAAVrXO?format=jpg&name=large

Ah, it's that time a year again when ALL other schools will be losing kids like crazy, but of course never any aggy commits.  They are all solid AF.  Shit, they'll probably pick up a few bammer and tOSU studs that want to play for a real coach.