Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

44 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That, and having your safety either out of position or getting trucked.  

It was enjoyable watching him think he read something, call it out, blitz and LSU go right where he came from. 

I will give him this though—he’s a better player today than BJ Foster is. Kind of weird seeing a guy that looks like and has the speed of a MLB playing safety. Elko though. 

17 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

aggy has finished 10-2 or better one time in the last 24 seasons and they're losing all their best players. 

That bet is kind of hilarious because nobody thinking rationally would believe aggy is going 10-2 or better next season based on aggy's history, tougher schedule, Jimbo's results the last 7 years, and all the aggy attrition. 

I think aggy's over/under will be set at something like 7.5 next season. 

They'll lose Spiller, Leal, Wydermyer, O'Neal, and Green. Achane is better than Spiller, and Jardin Gilbert is better than O'Neal. They've recruited very well on the DL so the Leal and Peevy (as well as possibly Clemons) departures won't matter all that much. There's no way their win total will be that low btw. Ole Miss will lose Corral (they'll take a huge step back in every offensive metric as a result), LSU is possibly in deep shit and won't have a viable QB next year, Harsin is tanking Auburn's talent level across the board, and UF has huge holes at edge rusher, LB, S, and WR. They get all of their non-conference games at home (App St will be the toughest of them all), so it's hard to see them losing a single home game as a result.

Do you really think they're going to lose to at least 3 of Alabama, Arkansas, Miss St, Auburn, UF, Ole Miss, and LSU? Burks' NFL departure will hit Arkansas hard because of how talented he is plus their lack of non-freshman options there. Leach has Miss St in a good spot and that very well might be their second-toughest game assuming Emerson, Pickering, Brule, and Wheat return. Alabama will improve assuming Saban upgrades at OC (and possibly DC). I've already covered the other four so no need to rehash. You seem smart enough to realize that Calzada held them back this year, and there was never a legitimate competition at QB all through the offseason. Their win total will likely be set at 9.5 once again.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

They'll lose Spiller, Leal, Wydermyer, O'Neal, and Green. Achane is better than Spiller, and Jardin Gilbert is better than O'Neal. They've recruited very well on the DL so the Leal and Peevy (as well as possibly Clemons) departures won't matter all that much. There's no way their win total will be that low btw. Ole Miss will lose Corral (they'll take a huge step back in every offensive metric as a result), LSU is possibly in deep shit and won't have a viable QB next year, Harsin is tanking Auburn's talent level across the board, and UF has huge holes at edge rusher, LB, S, and WR. They get all of their non-conference games at home (App St will be the toughest of them all), so it's hard to see them losing a single home game as a result.

Do you really think they're going to lose to at least 3 of Alabama, Arkansas, Miss St, Auburn, UF, Ole Miss, and LSU? Burks' NFL departure will hit Arkansas hard because of how talented he is plus their lack of non-freshman options there. Leach has Miss St in a good spot and that very well might be their second-toughest game assuming Emerson, Pickering, Brule, and Wheat return. Alabama will improve assuming Saban upgrades at OC (and possibly DC). I've already covered the other four so no need to rehash. You seem smart enough to realize that Calzada held them back this year, and there was never a legitimate competition at QB all through the offseason. Their win total will likely be set at 9.5 once again.

Sounds like the same bullshit they said last year.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

They underperformed this year because of King getting injured in Denver. You can criticize Jimbo for not having a better backup, but my bet is predicated upon Calzada not starting again.

You do realize King and Calzada were nose to nose in the QB battle in Fall camp right? Meaning King wasn't much better than Calzada. This isn't a good argument unless you expect a true FR to be ready in a complicated system next year (good luck with that). 

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

1) Yes. Jimbo has been awful in SEC road games. He's 7-8 in SEC road games at A&M and he has to play @ Miss State, @ Alabama, @ South Carolina, and @ Auburn next season. 

2) Assuming he somehow goes 2-2 in those games above he would then have to win all of Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas (neutral field), and Miami. Jimbo went 0-3 against those teams this year. 

3) You're drastically undervaluing personnel losses. They've recruited well on the DL but there will definitely be a drop off as they will be replacing almost all their production. Even Liucci has said next year's defense is going to be almost a complete rebuild. Personally, I don't think aggy's defense is that spectacular without an elite DL which they will completely be replacing. aggy loses to LSU by about 20 points this year if not for Leal, Clemons and Peavy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, George Clooney said:

They underperformed this year because of King getting injured in Denver. You can criticize Jimbo for not having a better backup, but my bet is predicated upon Calzada not starting again.

Everything you post gives them the benefit of the doubt.

Kevin? Kevin Kubescheski?

• Haha 2

It's going to be hilarious when Calzada is starting next season which I think is a real possibility. 

1) King is built like Case McCoy and he loves to scramble so injuries are always going to be an issue for him. There wasn't much separation between King and Calzada after Fall camp to begin with and Calzada now has a full year of reps in Jimbo's system.  Also, Jimbo keeps referring to Calzada as a "NFL QB" and I think Jimbo is definitely stubborn enough to try and prove Calzada can make this system work. 

2) Weigman is a true FR that's also going to play baseball and Jimbo's system is complicated as fuck. The idea he's going to be ready in year 1 is just wishful thinking. 

3) I've said it before but aggy needs a transfer QB just as much as Texas does. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

You do realize King and Calzada were nose to nose in the QB battle in Fall camp right? Meaning King wasn't much better than Calzada. This isn't a good argument unless you expect a true FR to be ready in a complicated system next year (good luck with that). 

This is blatantly wrong. It was portrayed that way because Jimbo didn't want Calzada to transfer (leaving him Stowers and Bost for the backup job).

Just now, George Clooney said:

This is blatantly wrong. It was portrayed that way because Jimbo didn't want Calzada to transfer (leaving him Stowers and Bost for the backup job).

The spin you keep making is just sad at this point. 

Even Liucci said the QB battle was a coin flip and that Calzada/King were splitting first team reps in Fall camp.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Definitely NOT an aggy fan. 

(who clearly also didn’t watch King’s senior season in HS)

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Definitely NOT an aggy fan. 

(who clearly didn’t watch King’s senior season in HS)

The first two games of his aggy career went exactly like his SR year. Turnover machine and guy that's always banged up because he's scrambling at 180 pounds. 

The Haynes King injury was one of the most predictable parts of this college football season. 

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

1) Yes. Jimbo has been awful in SEC road games. He's 7-8 in SEC road games at A&M and he has to play @ Miss State, @ Alabama, @ South Carolina, and @ Auburn next season. 

2) Assuming he somehow goes 2-2 in those games above he would then have to win all of Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas (neutral field), and Miami. Jimbo went 0-3 against those teams this year. 

3) You're drastically undervaluing personnel losses. They've recruited well on the DL but there will definitely be a drop off as they will be replacing almost all their production. Even Liucci has said next year's defense is going to be almost a complete rebuild. Personally, I don't think aggy's defense is that spectacular without an elite DL which they will completely be replacing. aggy loses to LSU by about 20 points this year if not for Leal, Clemons and Peavy. 

1) Those 8 losses with year-end SP+ ratings in parentheses: '18 Alabama (36.3), '18 Miss St (23.2), '18 Auburn (23.6), '19 Georgia (26.8), '19 LSU (33.1), '20 Alabama (28.3), '21 Ole Miss (16.9 as of last week), '21 LSU (5.9 as of last week). That's seven good to great teams and one bad team. At most two of those road teams will be good next year, so I like their chances of going at least 2-2 there.

2) The three teams on that list who beat them this year will be of similar strength or worse next year. I like their chances in each of those games.

3) Don't you view Liucci as a dumbass? It's strange how you suddenly respect his opinion when it fits your narrative. Clemons has a seventh year of eligibility if he wants to use it btw. Leal is fantastic and will be an early pick, so that's a tough replacement. Peevy is an above average DL who is a late-round pick. Between Tyree Johnson, McKinnley Jackson, Shemar Turner, Fadil Diggs, Adarious Jones, possibly Clemons, Donell Harris, Jahzion Harris, Isaiah Raikes, Adeleye, Burris, Jeudy, Nolen, and their future '22 commits, they have tons of options to replace Leal and Peevy's lost production. You're drastically underrating Edgerrin Cooper, Antonio Johnson, Tyreek Chappel, and Jardin Gilbert as well. Your last sentence is hyperbolic and assumes they have no talented players behind those guys.

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The spin you keep making is just sad at this point. 

Even Liucci said the QB battle was a coin flip and that Calzada/King were splitting first team reps in Fall camp.

You do understand Liucci did that to portray their roster in the best light possible right? That battle was not close.

• Haha 1

Just now, George Clooney said:

3) Don't you view Liucci as a dumbass? It's strange how you suddenly respect his opinion when it fits your narrative. 

Liucci is a biased idiot when it comes to anything other than aggy but I trust his team reports. He's just reporting what the coaching staff tells him. Generally speaking, I think Liucci is a good source on aggy news when it comes to position battles, injuries, coaching hires, etc. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Liucci is a biased idiot when it comes to anything other than aggy but I trust his team reports. He's just reporting what the coaching staff tells him. Generally speaking, I think Liucci is a good source on aggy news when it comes to position battles, injuries, coaching hires, etc. 

Then I guess we just disagree here. I think he's in the business of portraying their team in the best light possible and likely gets little bits of info here and there. I think it's plausible that he talks with some of their football admin fairly often. It's hard to trust any team beat writer/9.95er if they aren't being more pessimistic than their fan base at large.

38 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

For someone claiming to not be an aggie fan you sure know a lot about the inner workings and nuances of aggie football.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Thiefery said:

yeah but those weren't his fault or something/george clooney, probably

I won't pretend to have watched that game, so I don't base my opinion of him on it. I think he's a very athletic developmental QB prospect who can execute their offense at Mond's level in '20 with more experience/reps. Weigman has a much higher ceiling, but will be a true freshman next season so it's unrealistic to think he'll be better than King next season (but would be better than Calzada). Calzada being a strange take is one of the few popular opinions on here that I agree with. He was very inaccurate in HS for a P5 commit, and I don't think it mattered that his team supposedly stunk.

Weigman is a stud but not sure his career path is football and he certainly won't be ready in that offense as a true FR. 

You are drastically overvaluing Haynes King. His SR year was not good, he's an erratic passer, and look at the teams that wanted him in recruiting. It was meh P5 programs like Tennessee who were battling A&M for King. 

5 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I won't pretend to have watched that game, so I don't base my opinion of him on it. I think he's a very athletic developmental QB prospect who can execute their offense at Mond's level in '20 with more experience/reps. Weigman has a much higher ceiling, but will be a true freshman next season so it's unrealistic to think he'll be better than King next season (but would be better than Calzada). Calzada being a strange take is one of the few popular opinions on here that I agree with. He was very inaccurate in HS for a P5 commit, and I don't think it mattered that his team supposedly stunk.

Haynes King weighs 120 lbs, threw three picks vs. Kent State, got knocked out for the season on his very first hard college hit, and hasn't played well since he was a Junior in high school.

As someone who unhealthily enjoys aggy misery, nothing would make me happier than Jimbo's staff agreeing with your assessment of this kid.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

For someone claiming to not be an aggie fan you sure know a lot about the inner workings and nuances of aggie football.

I graduated from a university without an FBS team and found shaggy back in 2017 (I think, it could've been 2016). I think there are enough intelligent and knowledgeable people here to have decent enough arguments/discussions. One of my closest friends is a rabid A&M alumnus, and I try to filter the info he gives me into an accurate interpretation of their team. I simply believe they have a very talented roster, and that many wins eventually come as you accumulate talent at a top 5 level (they will likely fit that bill when their '22 class signs). Everyone here clearly disagrees with me (which is understandable).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Weigman is a stud but not sure his career path is football and he certainly won't be ready in that offense as a true FR. 

You are drastically overvaluing Haynes King. His SR year was not good, he's an erratic passer, and look at the teams that wanted him in recruiting. It was meh P5 programs like Tennessee who were battling A&M for King. 

Your point about Weigman liking baseball more could be true, but I see no reason to believe that. I don't follow TX HSFB closely, so I don't know anything about his personal life. I just watch his highlights and listen to those who I personally know that have seen him in person. Didn't King have a fairly serious shoulder injury his senior year? That'd make his senior season matter less but also increase the injury concerns y'all have. Idk, I just think he can avoid further significant injuries as he learns how to better play the position. Again, y'all disagree and that's fine.

59 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

King threw 3 picks against Kent St before breaking his leg.

That’s aggys savior?

And he has been on campus, but hasn’t been playing and has been limited in his workouts because of his injury. He won’t be far ahead of Weigman at all, and he is definitely well behind Calzada at the moment. He could end up being great, but he’s done nothing at A&M so far to justify that assumption. 

36 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Your point about Weigman liking baseball more could be true, but I see no reason to believe that. I don't follow TX HSFB closely, so I don't know anything about his personal life. I just watch his highlights and listen to those who I personally know that have seen him in person. Didn't King have a fairly serious shoulder injury his senior year? That'd make his senior season matter less but also increase the injury concerns y'all have. Idk, I just think he can avoid further significant injuries as he learns how to better play the position. Again, y'all disagree and that's fine.

He played his entire senior year, but wasn’t nearly as good. Lost some weapons from previous year, but this was supposed to be the #1/#2 qb in Texas for the year. If he had been committed to Texas we’d have thrown fits watching his drop off. I’m not even sure LSU was interested (his apparent childhood favorite) by the time the season was over, and we had moved onto card long before then as well. 

6 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

He played his entire senior year, but wasn’t nearly as good. Lost some weapons from previous year, but this was supposed to be the #1/#2 qb in Texas for the year. If he had been committed to Texas we’d have thrown fits watching his drop off. I’m not even sure LSU was interested (his apparent childhood favorite) by the time the season was over, and we had moved onto card long before then as well. 

His junior team had tons of talent. He had probably four legit scoring options on every play. It was just handoff and watch em go or pitch and catch. His senior year, he was much more the focus of the offense. He wasn’t great. 

I have said a number of times, the kid is a point guard and I think he is well-suited for Jimbo’s offense, but he’ll need a lot of reps to get there. He’s no instant savior. Nothing about his game is dominant. 

7 hours ago, George Clooney said:

58 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I graduated from a university without an FBS team and found shaggy back in 2017 (I think, it could've been 2016). I think there are enough intelligent and knowledgeable people here to have decent enough arguments/discussions. One of my closest friends is a rabid A&M alumnus, and I try to filter the info he gives me into an accurate interpretation of their team. I simply believe they have a very talented roster, and that many wins eventually come as you accumulate talent at a top 5 level (they will likely fit that bill when their '22 class signs). Everyone here clearly disagrees with me (which is understandable).

Lol so you take your rabid agroid fans opinion of King and the QB battle as truth instead of…literally all of the medias?

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Haynes King completed 58% of his passes his senior year with a 20/8 TD/INT ratio. Zach Calzada completed 51% with a 14/5 TD/INT ratio. It's not like there was some huge gap between their high school performances, and Longview is a better program than Lanier (GA).

Is this true?

I mean, how do guys like this get P5 offers...to SEC schools nonetheless?

WTF?

10 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Is this true?

I mean, how do guys like this get P5 offers...to SEC schools nonetheless?

WTF?

He wasn’t very highly rated and most schools had their QB commits. Then he won the state championship his junior year and put up good camp numbers. People assumed they won the championship because of QB play, but Longview has great raw skill players who dominated everyone. It was not QB play that won them the championship. 

As I recall, camps caused him to jump from a 3 star to a 5 star. He generated a lot of interest because he was then considered the highest remaining uncommitted QB, in Texas at least. 

So, camps. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, George Clooney said:

It don't make a shit.  They'll be middle of the road just like always.