Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

If it's true, it is a comfort hire. Fisher could have brought Kelly with him to ATM and instead went big game hunting.

My Alabama friend says 2 things:

1) They haven't heard anything like this yet.

2) Kelly doesn't call plays, covers a position group that Saban also looms over, and he's an "active" recruiter. 

That's a pretty mediocre review of the guy. 

So it sounds like Elko is gone and Fisher's first call was Kelly, and that Kelly hasn't said anything to Alabama yet. So far from a guarantee he's gone.

Fisher may want to note that Manny Diaz is available. I mean after all his defenses did hold Fisher's FSU teams to 20 points in each of the two games they played against each other.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I disagree because aggy is going to buy recruits regardless. Best for them to downgrade with the DC hire which will definitely happen if they hire Kelly. 

About even. Elko + Robinson leaving severs that Philly pipeline that was working annoyingly well for them, and Robinson in general is just a recruiting witch on top of the bags.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Footballscoop is also reporting that aggy is hiring that strength and conditioning coach from Fisher's FSU's days. 

He's getting the group back together that caused his downfall at FSU? 

Just need someone to poach Henson so he can reunite with Rick Trickett

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If it's true, it is a comfort hire. Fisher could have brought Kelly with him to ATM and instead went big game hunting.

My Alabama friend says 2 things:

1) They haven't heard anything like this yet.

2) Kelly doesn't call plays, covers a position group that Saban also looms over, and he's an "active" recruiter. 

That's a pretty mediocre review of the guy. 

Between this and the rumor that Fisher is going to replace Schmidt and company with his old S&C guy at FSU, and I think we're definitely slipping into comfort hire mode. The have a perfect opportunity to hire Moffit, and if they go back to the glory FSU days at multiple positions, after suffering the losses on defense this year, I think a few things are apparent:

1.) Fisher couldn't help but finally revert to his "I know better than everyone" mindset and feels vindicated that his guys are the best guys
2.) The locker room at A&M might hit an even more accelerated step into entitlement
3.) Classic A&M, the NIL slaps them in the face and while they'll try to match and build what everyone else is building, the first move is to double down on a bagman. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Between this and the rumor that Fisher is going to replace Schmidt and company with his old S&C guy at FSU, and I think we're definitely slipping into comfort hire mode. 

You either die a hero, or become Tom Herman it seems.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So it sounds like Elko is gone and Fisher's first call was Kelly, and that Kelly hasn't said anything to Alabama yet. So far from a guarantee he's gone.

Fisher may want to note that Manny Diaz is available. I mean after all his defenses did hold Fisher's offense at FSU held his teams to 20 points in each of the two games they played against each other.

FIFY

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It sounds like word is dropping everywhere that Elko is heading to Duke. 

There is also buzz that Charles Kelly is headed to ATM to replace him. 

Put the conspiracy thoughts together around how this impacts everyone's recruiting.

Wasn't Kelly was of the assistants FSU wanted Jimbo to fire but he refused right when the wheels were falling off?

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Fisher may want to note that Manny Diaz is available. I mean after all his defenses did hold Fisher's FSU teams to 20 points in each of the two games they played against each other.

To be fair, Jimbo's offenses usually hold his teams to 20.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2021 at 5:22 PM, Huckleberry said:

Yeah that's pretty concrete evidence that they're hearing Elko may be gone. 

to be fair, tarp has been annoyed by elko for several years. i think he's a very solid dc, but his schemes are definitely stronger against the run than the pass. 

and i would think jimbo would call pruitt way before kelly.

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Other "better" jobs have passed on him fwiw.

Yeah, I think the narrative that Elko has been leveraging these other jobs to get pay raises at aggy is likely nonsense. 

For whatever reason, other schools don’t view Elko as great HC material. Or maybe there are skeletons in the closet? 

8 minutes ago, bizzle said:

to be fair, tarp has been annoyed by elko for several years. i think he's a very solid dc, but his schemes are definitely stronger against the run than the pass. 

Pruitt just sued Tennessee for firing him and his show cause probably keeps him in the pros for at least another year. 

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Pruitt just sued Tennessee for firing him and his show cause probably keeps him in the pros for at least another year. 

If ATM is allowed to hire Pruitt for next year then the NCAA might as well issue a press release saying that their only function is to schedule a basketball tournament in March. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, bizzle said:

Is it really the scheme? or that aggy has had a really good group of DL for years now, and safeties trying to play cornerback?

35 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Is it really the scheme? or that aggy has had a really good group of DL for years now, and safeties trying to play cornerback?

why not both dot gif

and he's obsessed with playing guys like leal at 5 tech to set the edge which tends to result in a strong run d to the detriment of the pass rush. and the lack of pure cover guys has definitely not helped, along with his reticence to blitz until later in the game. thankfully, he finally seems to be moving to some quicker cover guys across the back.

14 minutes ago, bizzle said:

why not both dot gif

and he's obsessed with playing guys like leal at 5 tech to set the edge which tends to result in a strong run d to the detriment of the pass rush. and the lack of pure cover guys has definitely not helped, along with his reticence to blitz until later in the game. thankfully, he finally seems to be moving to some quicker cover guys across the back.

Well, he's going to be moving some quicker guys across the back all the way to Duke.  

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So it looks like Elko is gone. Everyone join Bizzle in absolute surprise. 

i would think he could do better, but maybe not - that's a really tough job.

and i think elko is really solid, but don't worry about jimbo's ability to replace him. if it's charles kelly, then we got some issues.  

Just now, bizzle said:

and i think elko is really solid, but don't worry about jimbo's ability to replace him. if it's charles kelly, then we got some issues.  

The Duke admin is promising big money staff salaries and facilities upgrades. And Cutcliffe took them to a Cotton Bowl vs Johnny Football. Still a hard job, but you can have success there.

1 minute ago, bizzle said:

Duke is a perfect fit for him since he went to Penn and his son is going to Northwestern (for the time being). 

I have taken great pride in my arrogance against aggies since the early 90's.  Do what you want aggies, we are superior.  Never did I care what they did or didn't do.

It makes me sad that for the first time, I'm hoping a coach leaves so that it knocks them down a bit.  I don't like this weak feeling of hoping something doesn't work for them so that it makes UT stronger.  Please get me back to arrogance quickly.

3 minutes ago, bizzle said:

Jimbo appears to be very happy to putting the band back together. It will reach peak Jimbo if Henson leaves and Trickett replaces him.

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Also, no I don't think Elko can get a better job. He's been trying to get a good P5 gig for years. 

can we please stop acting like Elko is a bad coach?

DFEI:

• 14 (Wake): 56
  • 15: 59
  • 16: 25
  • 17 (ND): 15
  • 18 (A&M): 26
  • 19: 22
  • 20: 21
  • 21: 7

he interviewed for a bunch of jobs 1) to get the experience and 2) to get more $$$ from A&M

the guy is 44, became a DC 3 years after he finished playing (at UPENN!), was a P5 DC at 37, coached with Dave Clawson forever and has obviously been looking for the RIGHT job to leave making $TexasA&M for.

Elko is many things, but he isn't a bad coach - which people here and in this thread love to act like he is.

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

DFEI:

he interviewed for a bunch of jobs 1) to get the experience and 2) to get more $$$ from A&M

the guy is 44, became a DC 3 years after he finished playing (at UPENN!), was a P5 DC at 37, coached with Dave Clawson forever and has obviously been looking for the RIGHT job to leave making $TexasA&M for.

Elko is many things, but he isn't a bad coach - which people here and in this thread love to act like he is.

Who is acting like he's a bad coach?  I think people are suggesting he seems like a bad HC interviewer.

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

DFEI:

Nobody is saying Elko is a bad coordinator. There are plenty of good coordinators that never get great head coaching gigs because they aren’t viewed as head coaching material. 

BWO saying “better jobs have passed on him” is likely coming from IT/Gerry Hamilton and I believe it. 

The Duke boards have flat out said that Elko would take the job regardless of financial limitations. The only question is if they’re going to offer.