Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

if anyone wants to laugh, here is a look at the Top 5 in the Texas Composite vs Looch 44

• Harold Perkins - 5 overall / 1 in Texas composite - Looch 44: 3
  • Evan Stewart - 6 overall / 2 in Texas composite - Looch 44: 17 in Texas (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Devon Campbell - 10 / 3 - Looch 44: 10
  • Kelvin Banks - 15 / 4 - Looch 44: 4
  • Denver Harris - 17 / 3 - Looch 44: 2

#1 in the Looch 44 is Malick Sylla (12 in Texas composite and 66 overall)

Dewberry is #17 in the composite and 6 in the 44 (Aggie commit)

Hunter Erb is #42 in composite Texas, 20 in Looch 44 (Aggie commit)

overall, it's even worse than normal. huge swings with players - both Aggies and not

that Evan Stewart ranking is hilarious to me. #6 OVERALL IN THE COUNTRY in the composite - Looch thinks he is #17 in Texas (just behind Chris Marshall, of course)

• Haha 1

The 2022 class is different from before and we'll see how it plays out. Getting kids in is one thing, keeping for 3-4 years is another. You got a bunch of kids with real money now that may not ever have had it in an environment where they don't have to hide it. I expect lots to have trouble with it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The 2022 class is different from before and we'll see how it plays out. Getting kids in is one thing, keeping for 3-4 years is another. You got a bunch of kids with real money now that may not ever have had it in an environment where they don't have to hide it. I expect lots to have trouble with it. 

I fully expect quite a few of these defensive guys to bolt at the end of next season and into spring. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know shit, and yeah, I should stop there, but… it seems in this new world in which the portal exists there is so much more opportunity to Eric Dickerson a school. NIL is contractual, I assume, while there can be no relief from under the table. It seems like an opportunity to take the money, run, cash in on NIL elsewhere. 

If the motivation to go there was the bag, and not because you like the school/coaches/town, what happens next?  Now you have to actually live there and go to practice and class.  Where is the motivation?  I'm sure a lot of these guys can still be successful, look at someone like Leal who took the bag but still developed.  Bryce Anderson seems like a good kid AFAIK, he just bought into it somehow.  But the mercenaries?  It will be fun to watch when things don't go as planned.

• Hook 'Em 1

I 100% agree. I think our staff is banking on relationships, NIL to keep our players for 3-4 years. Bag game only guarantees enrollment. We shall see which is the correct method.

Wasn’t atm included in the initial rumblings of investigation with Miami and BYU?  Im betting a investigation is coming after this class, Bama and Georgia won’t sit by and let them get beat at their own game this bad.  They don’t even have a DC, it’s so blatantly obvious.  

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Wasn’t atm included in the initial rumblings of investigation with Miami and BYU?  Im betting a investigation is coming after this class, Bama and Georgia won’t sit by and let them get beat at their own game this bad.  They don’t even have a DC, it’s so blatantly obvious.  

NCAA doesn't mean crap... its when the IRS comes calling that the NIL differences will stand out.  I hope those "uncles" have are paying their taxes and have been for the last 5 years

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Yesh said:

If the motivation to go there was the bag, and not because you like the school/coaches/town, what happens next?  Now you have to actually live there and go to practice and class.  Where is the motivation?  I'm sure a lot of these guys can still be successful, look at someone like Leal who took the bag but still developed.  Bryce Anderson seems like a good kid AFAIK, he just bought into it somehow.  But the mercenaries?  It will be fun to watch when things don't go as planned.

It's just NFL training camp - they're not going to class. And if they feel like they're starting to drop off the NFL track, they'll transfer. But the really good starters will stay for their 3 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have some questions.  So it looks like they are going to add 3 more 5 stars in Perkins, Stewart and Harris right?  How many 5 stars do they currently have now?  Will their final total of 5 stars dwarf even Bama and Georgia at this point?  Also, I agree that the NCAA is a joke as they are allowing cheating to be pretty open right now and will do nothing about it.  I don’t think A&M lost one recruit from Elko leaving which is kind of unheard of for any school.

They already have the top rated class and what would be number one most years.  That's without counting 5 star players that they lead for like Harris, Perkins, and Shemar Stewart out of Florida.  If they sign everyone they're likely to sign, they will have by far the best rated class in the history of recruiting rankings.  I can see them being #1 in recruiting but not this. 8-4, losing their DC and other coaches, they pull 3 of the top ten from Georgia, what some say is the best player in '22 nationwide from Tennessee, the 2 top rated out of Florida, and #1 from Pennsylvania. 

It's got a Ben Johnson in '88 feel to it.  Sure, they say everybody has bagmen, especially in SEC country.  These fucks showed up looking like a yellow eyed Hulk and ran a 9.79 out of nowhere.  This is historically shady shit.  

• Hook 'Em 7

49 minutes ago, Yesh said:

200.gif

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I have some questions.  So it looks like they are going to add 3 more 5 stars in Perkins, Stewart and Harris right?  How many 5 stars do they currently have now?  Will their final total of 5 stars dwarf even Bama and Georgia at this point?  Also, I agree that the NCAA is a joke as they are allowing cheating to be pretty open right now and will do nothing about it.  I don’t think A&M lost one recruit from Elko leaving which is kind of unheard of for any school.

They're going to finish with 8 or 9. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Bojack said:

They already have the top rated class and what would be number one most years.  That's without counting 5 star players that they lead for like Harris, Perkins, and Shemar Stewart out of Florida.  If they sign everyone they're likely to sign, they will have by far the best rated class in the history of recruiting rankings.  I can see them being #1 in recruiting but not this. 8-4, losing their DC and other coaches, they pull 3 of the top ten from Georgia, what some say is the best player in '22 nationwide from Tennessee, the 2 top rated out of Florida, and #1 from Pennsylvania. 

It's got a Ben Johnson in '88 feel to it.  Sure, they say everybody has bagmen, especially in SEC country.  These fucks showed up looking like a yellow eyed Hulk and ran a 9.79 out of nowhere.  This is historically shady shit.  

Totally agree its all of the out of state ones that are telling.  In state of Texas I get.  The out of state states like you mentioned are the difference.  Top kid in Tennessee is going to go to Tennessee if he wants to stay home and if not it would be AL, GA, Clemson or maybe a Ohio State.  GA kids obviously go GA but maybe AL, Auburn, Clemson, FL.  FL kids have FL, FSU, Miami and the SEC schools nearby.  There is no world where College Station draws that many out of state kids like just happened.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bojack said:

at this point I don't really care if it's on the up and up or not.  They got the shit done.  We also have a terrific class and I'm hoping that the staff got pieces that work with each other. 

What will be interesting to watch out for, UT included, is seeing what happens when a highly rated player doesn't like the way the depth chart unfolds in Fall Camp.  Will they stay?  Or will they take off already getting a good amount in their wallet after the season plays out?

3 hours ago, Bojack said:

I can see them being #1 in recruiting but not this. 8-4, losing their DC and other coaches, they pull 3 of the top ten from Georgia, what some say is the best player in '22 nationwide from Tennessee, the 2 top rated out of Florida, and #1 from Pennsylvania. 

They hired a bag man from Georgia. Makes sense to me. 

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Serious question - how does A&M keep their purchased players from portaling? Even underperformers like Demas and Brian Williams have stuck around. If all they were getting was an upfront bag, wouldn't they just peace out after a year or two?

Same way they got them there.  They have to keep paying them. I'm sure many were setup on a monthly plan, others yearly, signing bonus, whatever. That said considering all above board of what have you... there will be a constant price and ability to pull kids away.  Best option is to get the kid on the transfer as you know they have to stick that extra year and can't immediately bolt out.

I think Kiffin / Ole Miss is playing correctly for a school like Ole Miss. Grab some key HS recruits, but they have to pull guys out of the portal to continue to be successful. They can't primarily compete on the HS recruit end in an open bidding.

My serious but dumb question is if our staff understands that illegal inducement of a student-athlete at a value of over $2,500 is a felony in the State of Texas and are going to incorporate that information into their pitch (using the legal NIL programs as the other option, obviously).

Obviously a touchy subject based on the fact that nobody has been historically completely clean. But why not be clean moving forward once the NIL Death Star is fully assembled and operational? Tell them they can get the same money without the felony.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, pacman said:

Very true, he went 5-6 at FSU in 2017 on the heels of 3 top 3 recruiting classes in a row.

Hey Jumbo's got this. The culmination of these three recruiting classes led to a 5-6 season. I'm predicting a solid at least 6-6 with an invite to the PUBG (that's still a thing, really?) Mobile New Mexico Bowl for 2024. jig 'em

Screenshot at Dec 16 16-37-58.png

Edited by StrippersAndNobelPrizes
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Totally agree its all of the out of state ones that are telling.  In state of Texas I get.  The out of state states like you mentioned are the difference.  Top kid in Tennessee is going to go to Tennessee if he wants to stay home and if not it would be AL, GA, Clemson or maybe a Ohio State.  GA kids obviously go GA but maybe AL, Auburn, Clemson, FL.  FL kids have FL, FSU, Miami and the SEC schools nearby.  There is no world where College Station draws that many out of state kids like just happened.  

FWIW, in 2020, A&M had 26 commits and 14 were from out of state.  In 2021, 9 of 23 were from out of state.  This year it was 11 of 26.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2022-Football/Commits/

How we got the number one kid in SWEDEN is fucking beyond me, though.  SWEDEN?  WTF?  They play football there?  Like, not futbol?

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

My serious but dumb question is if our staff understands that illegal inducement of a student-athlete at a value of over $2,500 is a felony in the State of Texas and are going to incorporate that information into their pitch (using the legal NIL programs as the other option, obviously).

Obviously a touchy subject based on the fact that nobody has been historically completely clean. But why not be clean moving forward once the NIL Death Star is fully assembled and operational? Tell them they can get the same money without the felony.

Why would a 17 year old care if some old rich dude goes to jail?   He’s not committing the felony, and he likely doesn’t understand tax law.

Plus there’s the uncle/trainer driving the ship and if they say it’s all good then it probably is in their mind.  

12 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Why would a 17 year old care if some old rich dude goes to jail?   He’s not committing the felony, and he likely doesn’t understand tax law.

Plus there’s the uncle/trainer driving the ship and if they say it’s all good then it probably is in their mind.  

Incorrect

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Incorrect

Fair enough but point still stands

However, it is an “exception to prosecution” that, even though you were involved in the “illegal recruiting,” you were close relatives.2 It is also an “exception to prosecution” for the athlete that the athlete reported the illegal recruiting to law enforcement within 60 days.3

Edited by Jimbob

FWIW, in 2020, A&M had 26 commits and 14 were from out of state.  In 2021, 9 of 23 were from out of state.  This year it was 11 of 26.
https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2022-Football/Commits/
How we got the number one kid in SWEDEN is fucking beyond me, though.  SWEDEN?  WTF?  They play football there?  Like, not futbol?

There’s a difference in pulling a mid-tier prospect from an SEC state and an elite one that everyone wants. Blindly comparing numbers does not tell the story.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Is that actually a felony? Didn't know that. Wow that's pretty crazy that boosters will still take that risk. 

1 hour ago, Jimbob said:

Fair enough but point still stands

However, it is an “exception to prosecution” that, even though you were involved in the “illegal recruiting,” you were close relatives.2 It is also an “exception to prosecution” for the athlete that the athlete reported the illegal recruiting to law enforcement within 60 days.3

I think that's just saying that you're immune if A) you're a close relative but didn't take any cash, or B) the athlete reports the bag within 60 days (which obviously doesn't happen so totally irrelevant)

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Was voted #2 in this article, seems like a legit loss

https://theathletic.com/3016713/2021/12/16/who-are-college-footballs-best-personnel-people-we-asked-recruiting-coordinators-across-the-country/

Malchow, a native of Augusta, Ga., was a recruiting staffer at Georgia from 2016 to 2020 — a period in which the Bulldogs had five consecutive top-five classes, including the No. 1 class in 2018 and 2020. Malchow’s first job was in the Alabama recruiting department; he then made stops at Boise State, Washington and Georgia before being lured to Texas A&M by Jimbo Fisher in January 2020.

What Malchow’s peers are saying:

• “He’s a top evaluator and leader in his role. He has done it at the highest level at multiple places. And he’s a great dude.”

• “They have firmly planted themselves among the best with the caliber of players they have committed this year, but the complete overhaul of the roster from Jimbo Fisher’s arrival to now is unbelievable.”

• “In the two years he’s been there, coming from Georgia, they’ve been able to become a national power in recruiting. The 2021 class they signed and 2022 class they are signing are special.”

I just get a sense that aggy went a little too far. I really don't think the gentlemen's agreement club is going to sit idly by. I'll wait for the other shoe to drop when it comes down.  They involved way too many players from way too many groups for someone to not get upset and squeal at some point, especially with the transfer portal available. Aggy will find a way to screw this up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sources: Oregon is set to hire Marshall Malchow as the chief of staff for football. He’s the associate AD for football at Texas A&M and has worked in personnel at UGA and Washington.

Oregon poaching key Texas A&M staffer, per report

Texas A&M has the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class for 2022, but to repeat, the Aggies will have to replace a key staffer.

College football insider Pete Thamel is reporting, per sources, that Texas A&M Associate AD for Football Marshall Malchow is set to be hired as the chief of staff at Oregon.

Malchow was hired at Texas A&M in January 2020 after 4 seasons at Georgia. Malchow’s Texas A&M bio notes that in February 2018, he was named National Player Personnel Director of the Year by FootballScoop.com.

Malchow reunites with Dan Lanning at Oregon. The Georgia defensive coordinator was recently hired as the new head coach of the Ducks. Lanning and Malchow were both on Kirby Smart’s staff for the 2018 and ’19 seasons.

Guess he needs to leave before the shit hits the fan.....hmmm.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/oregon-poaching-key-texas-am-staffer-per-report

siap.