Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Weren’t all of them sure that matthews would be the starting C last year?  I realize he got passed by a true freshman, but wasn’t the fan base still high on him as recently as last august?

He was injured heading into fall camp and never recovered, which is why they had to run a true freshman who'd never played center before out there 

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That Matthews/Blanton/Clement OL haul turned out to be a dud.

I wish we could find Liucci's write-up at the time about that recruiting class and those guys in particular. It might be my mind messing with me, but I swear I remember him lauding that group as some sort of magical hand-picked group preferred by the staff over higher ranked guys that went elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wish we could find Liucci's write-up at the time about that recruiting class and those guys in particular. It might be my mind messing with me, but I swear I remember him lauding that group as some sort of magical hand-picked group preferred by the staff over higher ranked guys that went elsewhere.

Yep.  Probably on the old shaggy, but Looch had a lengthy write-up about Clement that'd make Rabdolph Duke jealous as far as number of words about how he was an SEC type mauling guard.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Already hired a murderer might as well hire a racist. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.coloradoan.com/amp/8825390002

Aggies never lie:

"The coach told the investigator he apologized multiple times and that it was the custodian who escalated the confrontation, leaving the coach feeling “abused and harassed.” Addazio said he left the restroom and was confronted by the custodian. However, the investigator said that a review of surveillance video from the building showed Addazio "escalated the situation, became frustrated, and refused to move on from the situation."

• Haha 2

at about the 24 second point in part 2 the short blonde in the middle almost gets dropped on her ass. I'd love to watch the cheer squad at Navarro College watching and reacting to the "choreography" and execution at aTm.

Edited by Chopper

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

85E65F9D-7646-4ACD-9747-FB1EE966939E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Durkin is an iffy hire at best. Addazio is a massive asshole.

Pretty much the opposite of Elko (excellent hire) and Henson (likable dude, good coach)

“Jimbo is collecting former head coaches, just like Saban! These guys know what Jimbo is building in Aggieland and want to be a part of it!”   /TexAgs

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Best I could find..

Aggie commit Barton Clement brings power, athleticism to A&M OL
By Billy Liucci
More from Billy
June 18, 2017 15 1,891
Tweet Share Jump to Discussion
With limited numbers in Texas A&M's 2018 class, Jim Turner was only going to add a third offensive lineman to the Aggie haul if that prospect was considered an elite-level talent by one of the best in the business. No one who regularly recruits the state of Texas identifies future All-Americans and NFL draft picks better than the Ags' Jimmy T., so when he pushed to add a third blocker, it had to have gotten the attention of both Kevin Sumlin and Noel Mazzone.

The Aggies made Fort Bend Marshall interior lineman Barton Clement one of their first '18 offers up front, but it wasn't clear until recently whether or not A&M would add to an OL haul that already included Cy-Ranch tackle Colten Blanton and Elkins four-star standout Luke Matthews.

After watching Clement up close this spring, however, the picture cleared up pretty quickly, with the Aggie staff realizing that the 6-2, 290-pounder was simply too good to pass up. He's the caliber of player who will not only upgrade the overall talent level up front but also give Turner a true road grader between the tackles, one capable of seeing the field very early in his A&M career. Simply put, Barton Clement is the type of powerful mauler who typically thrives in the SEC West.

TexAgs
Texas A&M held off many of the nation's power programs for Clement's pledge. He picked the Ags over Michigan, Ohio State and Texas, among others.
Turner, area recruiter Clarence McKinney and the Aggies weren't the only ones to recognize Clement's potential following an absolutely dominant junior season. Michigan, Auburn, Ohio State, OU, Ole Miss, TCU, UCLA and Texas all extended offers with the big man eventually narrowing his focus to an original top 5 consisting of A&M, OU, Ohio State, Michigan and Texas.

Florida made a strong spring push, extending an offer in late May, and the Gators essentially finished as Barton's runner-up choice. The eventual winner in the race for one of the state's most heavily-recruited lineman, however, was Texas A&M, with Clement joining fellow Houstonians Matthews and Blanton in a haul featuring three of the five best blockers in Texas.

What big Barton brings to the table for Turner's Aggie offensive line is a powerful interior presence who is capable of playing center or either guard spot. He's a little on the short side at 6-2, but Clement makes up for a lack of ideal height with unusually long arms and reach. What makes the four-star guard even more attractive is the fact that in addition to being versatile, he possesses a pretty devastating blend of power and athleticism.

The soon-to-be-300-pounder is agile and fast when pulling around the edge, but what stands out most about the newest 'Maroon Goon' is the fact that the young man is a flat-out finisher. He's a very heavy-handed lineman who packs an extremely impressive punch that typically jars defenders on impact, and when Clement does get his hands on d-linemen and linebackers, odds are he's burying them into the turf. If a defensive back is unfortunate enough to get in Barton's way on a screen pass or when the wide-bodied Buffalo gets downfield, it's lights out. I'm not sure how many pancake blocks the young man was credited with last fall, but you'd have a hard time convincing me there were many linemen in the state who had more devastating blocks than what I've seen on Clement's game tapes.

The first comparison that comes to mind is Patrick Lewis – one of Coach Turner's best evaluations during his first stint as the Aggie o-line coach under Mike Sherman and a senior starter during Sumlin's first season in College Station. However, Clement is a little taller, a little longer and a little heavier than Lewis at the same age.

TexAgs
Clement's game brings to mind past Aggie standouts Patrick Lewis, Billy Yates and Calvin Collins and should be a good fit in the SEC trenches.
He actually reminds me of a couple of other Aggie linemen, one who played when Sherman was an R.C. Slo$#@! assistant at Texas A&M and another who battled in the Big 12 trenches when Sumlin was working with wide receivers under the same legendary head coach. The names? Calvin Collins and Billy Yates.

If you're looking for a recent SEC example, former Alabama All-SEC guard and first-round draft pick Chance Warmack was a 6-2, 320-pounder who fared very well in the same league and same conference, thanks to a very similar skill set that Turner, A&M and the aforementioned national powers all saw in Barton Clement.

Barton's verbal pledge continues a hot streak for A&M recruiting. The Aggies have added more than a handful of prospects to the 2018 and 2019 classes in a two-week stretch. Up next for the Aggies? Stay tuned, because it won't be long before Sumlin and the Ags sound the 'YESSIR!' alert again

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Best I could find..

2018 State of Texas OL Rankings

1. Colten Blanton (Aggy)

2. Darrell Simpson (OU)

3. Reese Moore (Texas)

4. Rafiti Ghirmai (Texas)

5. Connor Galvin (Baylor)

6. Luke Matthews (Aggy)

7. Barton Clement (Aggy)

8. Trey Stratford (Stanford)

9. Jackson Kimble (Baylor)

10. Victor Curne (Washington)

Woof.

Other than Connor Galvin( 2021 All-Big XII 1st team selection) and Victor Curne (2020 All-Pac-12 honorable mention) , there's a whole bunch of nothin'.

(Junior Angilau was Texas' best take in 2018, from Utah)

20 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

These are very weird hires by aggy this cycle. 

Sanders (strength coach), Addazio (OL), Durkin (defensive coordinator).

With all the money they’re spending on recruits you would think they could do better than this.  

from guys that historically know what they're talking about, they're excited about sanders. durkin seems odd, and feels we could have found someone with a similar ceiling without the noise that comes along with him. 

addazio sucks ass and i will be super pissed if that's the hire. a couple of friends from bc echo everything ever said about that douchebag.

Has Sanders ever been the one leading a S&C program? He’s been an assistant for somebody else everywhere he’s been right? 

Not to mention he was on the FSU staff that had major issues with S&C at the end of Jimbo’s tenure there. 

Schmidt is an asshole but he’s also good at his job. This seems like a major downgrade. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Has Sanders ever been the one leading a S&C program? He’s been an assistant for somebody else everywhere he’s been right? 

Not to mention he was on the FSU staff that had major issues with S&C at the end of Jimbo’s tenure there. 

Schmidt is an asshole but he’s also good at his job. This seems like a major downgrade. 

i've seen enough s&c guys at different programs through the years that i'm confident that i have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to predicting success or failure there. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bizzle said:

i've seen enough s&c guys at different programs through the years that i'm confident that i have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to predicting success or failure there. 

Same but there are proven S&C coaches out there. Sanders is a flip of a coin. 

Nobody really has a clue what he’s capable of as “the guy”. You went from a proven S&C coach to a complete unknown which definitely screams downgrade on paper. 

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Same but there are proven S&C coaches out there. Sanders is a flip of a coin. 

Nobody really has a clue what he’s capable of as “the guy”. You went from a proven S&C coach to a complete unknown which definitely screams downgrade on paper. 

It's the Lebby thing at OU. Lots of good data points, but has never been the dude. High delta hire.

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's the Lebby thing at OU. Lots of good data points, but has never been the dude. High delta hire.

Agreed but the one thing with Lebby is a lot of good coaches have hired him even if he’s never been the guy. So at least Lebby has shown value where other coaches want him. 

I’m fairly certain this Sanders dude has only been employed by Jimbo. It’s weird to me that an assistant S&C coach for nearly 15 years hasn’t already been the guy at a decent program. If Sanders has such a great reputation why hasn’t anybody else hired him out of his assistant role under Jimbo? 

It’s a very odd hire if you ask me. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Huh? Lebby’s been hired by multiple good offensive coaches and had success.

What data points does Sanders have? He just follows Jimbo wherever he goes. 

I mean Lebby's never worked under an HC that wasn't an offensive guy that has serious input into the offense. Sanders I probably overestimated.