Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

A&M is going to get theirs in the 2022 class after finishing 4th this past season. They lose 4/5 starting OL and a four year starter at QB. Hoping they have a big step back in 2021. 

I think Sark fill have a great initial full class regardless of what A&M does. Need to land Ewers to help make this class elite though. 

Sark needs to stop A&M's run of success in Houston. Landing the North Shore kid would be a great first step.

With blOU and A&M coming off top 10 finishes and NY6 bowl victories, competition in both Houston and DFW will only get harder.

49 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Sark needs to stop A&M's run of success in Houston. Landing the North Shore kid would be a great first step.

With blOU and A&M coming off top 10 finishes and NY6 bowl victories, competition in both Houston and DFW will only get harder.

Denver Harris or Kristopher Ross?

🎵Kris Ross'll make ya... 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

ATM is not fucking around and they're going to land a top 5 class this year, barring an on-field collapse. Texas hiring Sarkisian and this staff has only amp'ed it up. They're going to lock up Dewberry, Perkins, and perhaps another before the weekend is up unless something crazy throws that shit off. 

Texas and ATM have never been able to sustain being top 10 teams at the same time for any duration. It's going to be interesting to watch. ATM has a terrific staff, they're about to be churning out high draft picks, they're dropping bags, and LSU and Auburn are down. Anyone laughing at them or taking them lightly here, particularly in recruiting, has their head planted firmly up their ass.

Here's to Jimbo filling a chunk of the class with some bad evals and red flags 

ATM is not fucking around and they're going to land a top 5 class this year, barring an on-field collapse. Texas hiring Sarkisian and this staff has only amp'ed it up. They're going to lock up Dewberry, Perkins, and perhaps another before the weekend is up unless something crazy throws that shit off. 

Texas and ATM have never been able to sustain being top 10 teams at the same time for any duration. It's going to be interesting to watch. ATM has a terrific staff, they're about to be churning out high draft picks, they're dropping bags, and LSU and Auburn are down. Anyone laughing at them or taking them lightly here, particularly in recruiting, has their head planted firmly up their ass.

Fuck You Season 6 GIF by Power

• Haha 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

I'm playing catch-up on recruiting after generally checking out on Tom Herman buttfucking our world. Who are the bad evaluations and red flags out of the gate for 2022 in Texas?

I'm catching up as well 

Herman came in at a time when Sumlin was imploding and Stoops kept getting his ass beat in big match ups and fucked around for 4 years instead of taking advantage of his situation by taking a stranglehold on the state, and consequently giving Jimbo a great window to ramp things up.  Just one more reason to say Fuck You, Tom Herman.

• Rage+1 1

I don't believe the online fanboy board daydreams, especially the ones starting from texags.  Aside from Jaylon Jones, what 5-star corner has signed with A&M in the last 20 years? I can't think of any. I can think of many that found reasons to not commit, and then commit elsewhere including out of state.

Same goes for 5-star linebackers, except that I can't think of any 5-star linebackers A&M has signed in recent memory. The highest rated one that signed was Anthony Hines-- and he was good, hopefully he does well in NFL draft in a few weeks. Von Miller was a 3-star, as was Damontre Moore. 

Recent top linebacker commits have been Antonio Doyle and Edgerrin Cooper, and both were to my mind unexpected. As was Andre White. So I guess there is something to be said about landing higher level talent at linebacker, but neither was a 5-star. And same goes for corner.

TL;dr: I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

https://giphy.com/gifs/editingandlayout-a6YHwnkn0ctOM

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

I don't believe the online fanboy board daydreams, especially the ones starting from texags.  Aside from Jaylon Jones, what 5-star corner has signed with A&M in the last 20 years? I can't think of any. I can think of many that found reasons to not commit, and then commit elsewhere including out of state.

Same goes for 5-star linebackers, except that I can't think of any 5-star linebackers A&M has signed in recent memory. The highest rated one that signed was Anthony Hines-- and he was good, hopefully he does well in NFL draft in a few weeks. Von Miller was a 3-star, as was Damontre Moore. 

Recent top linebacker commits have been Antonio Doyle and Edgerrin Cooper, and both were to my mind unexpected. As was Andre White. So I guess there is something to be said about landing higher level talent at linebacker, but neither was a 5-star. And same goes for corner.

TL;dr: I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

https://giphy.com/gifs/editingandlayout-a6YHwnkn0ctOM

He was not a composite 5 star and he ended up not working out but Nick Harvey was a huge get at CB in 2014. LB has been really, really rough for a while.

I'm interested in understanding what ATM's WR  numbers look like if Jalen Preston hits the portal and Demond Demas pulls a full-blown Lynn McGruder Maneuver and disappears accordingly. How deep are they and what is expected in their 2022 WR class? Shit, I didn't even realize that Dylan Wright threw down the smoke bomb and disappeared from their program. That sure was money well spent.

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm interested in understanding what ATM's WR  numbers look like if Jalen Preston hits the portal and Demond Demas pulls a full-blown Lynn McGruder Maneuver and disappears accordingly. How deep are they and what is expected in their 2022 WR class? Shit, I didn't even realize that Dylan Wright threw down the smoke bomb and disappeared from their program. That sure was money well spent.

Kam Brown hitting the portal, too.  What you will see:

A lot more of Ainas Smith at slot

Camron Buckley elected to return

Caleb Chapman, who was set to have a great year until his injury against Florida

Chase Lane, who put together a solid season out of nowhere

Hezekiah Jones who came back late and played well after an injury

TBD: Moose Muhammad, Demas, Devin Price, Kenyon Jackson

Not a lot in 2021 but Shadrach Banks from NS is a player, committed early, and flew under the radar. Guessing you meant 2021 since 22 recruiting is just rolling. 

Honestly, given Fisher’s offense he’s not likely too worried about the receiver room, there’s a good mix of experience and potential there. And you have the preferred target in Wydermyer who is going to catch a lot of passes.

Edited by 956 Worldwide

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Shit, I didn't even realize that Dylan Wright threw down the smoke bomb and disappeared from their program. That sure was money well spent.

Did you see him in their practice clips? I would say walking was a better description than even jogging. I’ve never seen a player gives less shits or less effort in my life. It’s actually incredible that he could consistently try that little. 

wonder if he’ll decide to row the fucking boat to try to get to the NFL? 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Did you see him in their practice clips? I would say walking was a better description than even jogging. I’ve never seen a player gives less shits or less effort in my life. It’s actually incredible that he could consistently try that little. 

wonder if he’ll decide to row the fucking boat to try to get to the NFL? 

Fleck is a strange man, but I can't imagine him putting up with a dude dicking around during practice - the guy made Minnesota football relevant in this century.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Kam Brown hitting the portal, too.  What you will see:

A lot more of Ainas Smith at slot

Camron Buckley elected to return

Caleb Chapman, who was set to have a great year until his injury against Florida

Chase Lane, who put together a solid season out of nowhere

Hezekiah Jones who came back late and played well after an injury

TBD: Moose Muhammad, Demas, Devin Price, Kenyon Jackson

Not a lot in 2021 but Shadrach Banks from NS is a player, committed early, and flew under the radar. Guessing you meant 2021 since 22 recruiting is just rolling. 

Honestly, given Fisher’s offense he’s not likely too worried about the receiver room, there’s a good mix of experience and potential there. And you have the preferred target in Wydermyer who is going to catch a lot of passes.

Yeah, as a WR he’s a hell of a LB recruit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Took plenty of numbers in the previous class; 5 of them. And only one saw any meaningful playing time-- and it was Chase Lane, who was a high 3-star.

Blue collar receivers who are willing to block, run crisp routes-- often not the fun ones but the shorter ones such as curls and come backs, get yards after catch, learn the playbook-- basically, good team players with heart and mind for the game...those guys might get playing time. Yeah, Dylan Wright already shipped out. Kam Brown was expected to show but likely doesn't have patience to ride the pine so he is gone to SoCal (UCLA, I think). Still got Demas and Muhammad-- and Muhammad might be the actual jewel, since he is the son of the NFL player turned private equity investor and a real straight up dude... likely trained his kid to keep his nose to the grindstone and just work.

Not sure whether the inability to stretch the field was an outcome of Mond's skill set or the playbook being what it is. With a new QB, potentially a slinger, maybe the WR playbook opens up a bit further-- guys like Caleb Chapman will be the beneficiary.

TE spot will vulture plenty of passing plays and passing TDs in Jimbo's offense, and a WR just has to be ok with that, so long as they get to eat as well. Which likely means there won't be a surfeit of WR highlights.  But hopefully plenty of talent still on campus for 3 to 4 of them to step up, and at least 2 to make NFL.  Cam Buckley can be that guy in the 2022 nfl draft-- the dude is gritty and talented and hasn't let injury kill his spirit. Ainias Smith if he plays mostly slot and is seen as that by NFL scouts after his junior year this coming season. And Wydermeyer out of TE spot if he declares after his junior year.

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Is bama gonna gargle your balls yet?

Preston has been on portal watch for about a year. I remember hearing last year that Jimbo talked him into staying by telling him he’d probably start. Guess it’s finally happening 

I’d use a counter on Demas. He tweeted out that he’s staying though. We’ll see 

Chase Lane was pretty impressive this year. I guess he’s the type of WR who can flourish in Jimbo’s offense, while the Preston and Demas types are better off going to spread offenses that are less complicated for WRs

10 hours ago, Fud said:

Preston has been on portal watch for about a year. I remember hearing last year that Jimbo talked him into staying by telling him he’d probably start. Guess it’s finally happening 

I’d use a counter on Demas. He tweeted out that he’s staying though. We’ll see 

Chase Lane was pretty impressive this year. I guess he’s the type of WR who can flourish in Jimbo’s offense, while the Preston and Demas types are better off going to spread offenses that are less complicated for WRs

Demas is intriguing. He's someone who hadn't played a down of football in two years and was always a five star based on potential.  I thought that he might get a bit more PT as the season went on.  I think it's too early to write him off yet and he seems clear about sticking around. 

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

66-1,300 yards and 13 TDs receiving.  I'm pretty sure Fisher is going to give him a shot at receiver. 

Yeah. Probably. But I think you’re missing the point of my post. The list of guys who get shots at their position of choice based on HS stats is longer even than my disappointment in Chris Del Conte and Mike Stoops. But that doesn’t mean it’s the kid’s best position. 

And spare me the HS stats. I’d like to introduce you to some statistical standouts like Traylon Shead or maybe Tre Newton. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. Probably. But I think you’re missing the point of my post. The list of guys who get shots at their position of choice based on HS stats is longer even than my disappointment in Chris Del Conte and Mike Stoops. But that doesn’t mean it’s the kid’s best position. 

And spare me the HS stats. I’d like to introduce you to some statistical standouts like Traylon Shead or maybe Tre Newton. 

I think the closest comparison to the current roster is Ainas Smith (about an inch taller and about 10 pounds heavier, maybe, coming out of high school) with similar athleticism. Coincidentally, Banks also had 481 rushing yards.  He was on a fantastic North Shore team that didn't need him to do everything so he wasn't as much of a Swiss Army knife in high school.  He's a football player. 

He'll be used a lot like Smith, which is to say he will have the ball in his hands.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think the closest comparison to the current roster is Ainas Smith (about an inch taller and about 10 pounds heavier, maybe, coming out of high school) with similar athleticism. Coincidentally, Banks also had 481 rushing yards.  He was on a fantastic North Shore team that didn't need him to do everything so he wasn't as much of a Swiss Army knife in high school.  He's a football player. 

He'll be used a lot like Smith, which is to say he will have the ball in his hands.  

Banks is around 5-11 215-220.

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

think the closest comparison to the current roster is Ainas Smith (about an inch taller and about 10 pounds heavier, maybe, coming out of high school) with similar athleticism. 

I absolutely agree that he is a football player and could play several spots but have you seen Banks as a SR? He's a good 35+ pounds heavier than Smith was coming out of high school, no hyperbole. Maybe they put him at WR and maybe he does well, he is a damn good football player, but he's not going to get smaller with a college S&C program and diet. 

He has NFL potential as a spread killing OLB.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

I absolutely agree that he is a football player and could play several spots but have you seen Banks as a SR? He's a good 35+ pounds heavier than Smith was coming out of high school, no hyperbole. Maybe they put him at WR and maybe he does well, he is a damn good football player, but he's not going to get smaller with a college S&C program and diet. 

He has NFL potential as a spread killing OLB.

needs to get his body right, no doubt, but the dude is fun. would be shocked if he's not bit leaner by end of august. i'm guessing lots of slot and lots of rb. 

21 minutes ago, bizzle said:

needs to get his body right, no doubt, but the dude is fun. 

Banks is like the final boss version of a Gary Patterson fever dream recruit (if only he had played QB in an RPO offense at a smaller school he would reach his final form). He's one of those guys that could play 6 or 8 positions in college at a really high level.  I don't think his body is that far off - yeah he's got a little boiler working but really he's just big densely muscled guy. It seems like it'd be easier for him to put 10 pounds of muscle on his frame and play LB with an elite athleticism than to take 15 off to play WR. 

I really hate those idiots.  I hate OU, but can respect them for their accomplishments.  The only accomplishment I can really think of is that they held off other schools from getting a vet program for so long.  Engineering? Cool, behind UT.  Business, lol. Law? Huh, oh yeah purchased a junior college and slapped a sign on it. Football, lol.  Hell, every sport.  Most non-accomplished motherfuckers on the planet.   

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

A dose of aggy groupthink

Hide contents

Escq31kWMAMmnWG?format=jpg&name=smallEsde2qOXYAAkYK3?format=jpg&name=smallEsdhDybXUAUZdeT?format=jpg&name=smallEseARggW8AcEvBE?format=jpg&name=smallEseAR4rXIAEjwOs?format=jpg&name=small

That is really quite astonishing. Like a slumber party in a reeducation camp. The only guy down the list a bit was Coleman, PK and Choate, and the latter two may end up being some of the best hires we made. The Bama offensive staff all jumped into the boat immediately, as did Joseph, Gideon, Drayton, and eventually Davis who was clearly a first choice. No matter, when we start rolling off wins the group think will crumble.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't think Jimbo thinks the same as aggy nation. He should be recruiting from a point of strength this season, but is acting like he is recruiting from weakness. Trying to lock down Houston before Sarkisian's staff can get any kind of foothold.

That's not weakness, that's just smart. The guys they're getting are quality recruits. Why on earth wouldn't he do that?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Jimbo and staff have handled this extremely well. Took a page out of the Mack Brown recruiting playbook by limiting the perception of Texas momentum and limit Sark’s new coach bump by trickling out commitments, and they’ve got 3 more cards to play right now. Sarkisian’s slow hiring process, esp with player personnel, has played directly into that and now you’ve gone a long time since that national title game - all but eliminating the early returns around the explosive offense and gameplanning excitement. 

Jimbo is obviously listening to his player personnel people more because he took a spare in Garza to help ensure that he would get a Sylla and Taylor, not unlike Mack and Giles did with Jinkens/Brown years ago. Ditto leveraging other guys in Green’s circle as built in relationships — atop the TE successes that they’ve had — to bulk recruit. He also allowed Henson to take several non-cube OTs with tremendous upside. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It's fucking January. These kids have an entire year to be recruited. "Momentum" would be if they were landing kids in September. Remember Billy Bowman and how he would never leave? Yeah, me too. Sark and the Bama staff he brought have been recruiting these kids already, so it's not like they're really behind. All he has to do is show a modicum of improvement and kids will still come to Texas. He also look OOS and knows how to get those kids. We'll be fine. Chill. 

• Hook 'Em 4

52 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Jimbo and staff have handled this extremely well. Took a page out of the Mack Brown recruiting playbook by limiting the perception of Texas momentum and limit Sark’s new coach bump by trickling out commitments, and they’ve got 3 more cards to play right now. Sarkisian’s slow hiring process, esp with player personnel, has played directly into that and now you’ve gone a long time since that national title game - all but eliminating the early returns around the explosive offense and gameplanning excitement. 

Jimbo is obviously listening to his player personnel people more because he took a spare in Garza to help ensure that he would get a Sylla and Taylor, not unlike Mack and Giles did with Jinkens/Brown years ago. Ditto leveraging other guys in Green’s circle as built in relationships — atop the TE successes that they’ve had — to bulk recruit. He also allowed Henson to take several non-cube OTs with tremendous upside. 

It'll be two weeks tomorrow..  Recruiting will be fine

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

11.gif.e16cc4fda9d1953365867a7dcea405f8.gif

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

Jimbo and staff have handled this extremely well. Took a page out of the Mack Brown recruiting playbook by limiting the perception of Texas momentum and limit Sark’s new coach bump by trickling out commitments, and they’ve got 3 more cards to play right now.

3 more? Which 3?

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's fucking January. These kids have an entire year to be recruited. "Momentum" would be if they were landing kids in September. Remember Billy Bowman and how he would never leave? Yeah, me too. Sark and the Bama staff he brought have been recruiting these kids already, so it's not like they're really behind. All he has to do is show a modicum of improvement and kids will still come to Texas. He also look OOS and knows how to get those kids. We'll be fine. Chill. 

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

It'll be two weeks tomorrow..  Recruiting will be fine

Neither of us said anything doom-y about our class. Jimbo just played his hand well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Neither of us said anything doom-y about our class. Jimbo just played his hand well.

Earlier in the thread there is tons of hand wringing over how our staff better work and Jimbo will clean up, like our coaches haven't been on these kids. Some posters seems to think we're behind even though these same kids were recruited by the same dudes on a different staff now. 

5 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Earlier in the thread there is tons of hand wringing over how our staff better work and Jimbo will clean up, like our coaches haven't been on these kids. Some posters seems to think we're behind even though these same kids were recruited by the same dudes on a different staff now. 

We ARE behind with a lot of kids. Our staff is starting from zero on recruiting these kids to Texas, even if they've had prior relationships.

We'll get a new coach bump in a lot of ways, but if you look at Houston and think we're starting with a fresh clean slate, you're crazy.

Edited by texifornia