Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

What is position depth for safety at UT right now? Bryce Anderson likely can't start right away at A&M. But it's all about how the sales pitch is made, I suppose.

Again, I think A&M's most impact need is at shutdown corner spot; I sure hope landing Nick Williams from UGa is what's about to pay big dividends in this regard. Having recent ex NFL-pro Antonio Cromartie on staff (along with his version of the "swagcopter"-- remember that!? lol-- doesn't hurt either).

At safety, Foster and Schooler are seniors. Then we have Owens (might move to LB), Thompson, and Coffey all with multiple years of eligibility.

At our NB position Cook is a senior, and this is likely Adimora's last year on campus (especially if he has a big year in a defense that gets DBs drafted). Maybe some of the current younger CBs project to NB.

So plenty of room on the depth chart for instant playing time.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Reports are Peronni already hedging the Anderson hype?

It's the best way to generate clicks: super hype the fanbase, then hedge to draw controversy and new clicks, then make shit up to spur a new hype/hedge click-a-thon. Repeat until signed NLI.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

At safety, Foster and Schooler are seniors. Then we have Owens (might move to LB), Thompson, and Coffey all with multiple years of eligibility.

At our NB position Cook is a senior, and this is likely Adimora's last year on campus (especially if he has a big year in a defense that gets DBs drafted). Maybe some of the current younger CBs project to NB.

So plenty of room on the depth chart for instant playing time.

This seems pretty optimistic. What are you basing on, exactly? The "Big year" speaking for itself, sure I guess it's possible kid could play himself into a second round pick with a monster season. That's possible for anyone. But there is zero indication he's on anyone's draft radar, and we heard mixed reviews about him in camp. He's learning a new system like everyone else. He's going to be splitting a lot of playing time. Is there some other reason this would be his last year on campus outside of a monster season? Like he's homesick? Or are you just wishcasting?

3 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

What is position depth for safety at UT right now? Bryce Anderson likely can't start right away at A&M. But it's all about how the sales pitch is made, I suppose.

Again, I think A&M's most impact need is at shutdown corner spot; I sure hope landing Nick Williams from UGa is what's about to pay big dividends in this regard. Having recent ex NFL-pro Antonio Cromartie on staff (along with his version of the "swagcopter"-- remember that!? lol-- doesn't hurt either).

Not as deep as you'd expect, which is why I was hoping to land Kaufman. With Jamier Johnson looking like he'll stick at corner and after Alford transferred, the only safeties we have from the past two classes are Coffey (2021) and Jerrin Thompson (2020) 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

This seems pretty optimistic. What are you basing on, exactly? The "Big year" speaking for itself, sure I guess it's possible kid could play himself into a second round pick with a monster season. That's possible for anyone. But there is zero indication he's on anyone's draft radar, and we heard mixed reviews about him in camp. He's learning a new system like everyone else. He's going to be splitting a lot of playing time. Is there some other reason this would be his last year on campus outside of a monster season? Like he's homesick? Or are you just wishcasting?

More like the kid has started for 3 years in college for 3 different DCs. He may want to get paid. Hell, we've seen some terrible decisions from Texas players entering the draft when another year could have been helpful. So, I am basing it off of recency bias and the fact a lot kids that start for 3 years in P5 conferences move on.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

More like the kid has started for 3 years in college for 3 different DCs. He may want to get paid. Hell, we've seen some terrible decisions from Texas players entering the draft when another year could have been helpful. So, I am basing it off of recency bias and the fact a lot kids that start for 3 years in P5 conferences move on.

I mean, maybe, I guess. At the same time, he'd have to really have that monster year. Which sure is possible, but it seems unlikely. He's going to have to show up on a draft list to get paid, and if he's frustrated about coaching turnover, transferring elsewhere to play for another DC doesn't seem like the answer either. 

"Draftable" upper classmen who want to leave should be good for any new regime, I imagine. They're guys of the previous staff and yet them going to the League makes room on the roster for the new staff to work with, and if they do get into the NFL (even via the UDFA route), then that's one more name with your college's brand out there. The extra room can also attract new talent who increasingly wants to see the field early and often.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

wompwomp

E3TpMSaWUAYBag5?format=jpg&name=mediumE3TpNEjXEAUblch?format=jpg&name=mediumE3TpNshWYAUOBqP?format=jpg&name=medium

So Perroni went from Bryce is coming back tomorrow and likely moving his Texas OV because he has a state 7v7 tournament to, Bryce may visit us again later but who knows and is still taking his Texas OV in two weeks? 

tenor.gif 

41 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

"Draftable" upper classmen who want to leave should be good for any new regime, I imagine. They're guys of the previous staff and yet them going to the League makes room on the roster for the new staff to work with, and if they do get into the NFL (even via the UDFA route), then that's one more name with your college's brand out there. The extra room can also attract new talent who increasingly wants to see the field early and often.

Except Adimora’s not that draftable right now. He hasn’t really put together a single good season (mostly due to coaching), he doesn’t have the athleticism to play nickel in the NFL and hasn’t played hardly at all at Safety yet. He would have to have a huge year this year to get much draft buzz. 

12 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

Bear's twitter post during his OV to A&M pretty much said what was going to happen. He had tagged one of his school coaches (guess that's the guy who drove him to C/ST?) who is a Bulldawg fan but his post was that he started from zero and had nothing, and has to make decisions that are right for him. 

I think it's great to be wanted, and to have your choice of where to go.  All this bag stuff is fan board innuendo until proven otherwise. :)

Only a fucking idiot would choose to go to Aggy

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

10419956.jpeg

10419955.jpeg

That may be the most concise representation of everything Aggie I've ever seen short of the Aggie fan at the Alamo Bowl eating his booger on national TV.

I was moved to google Dunning-Kruger which I'd assumed just referred to people seeing what they're looking for. Wikipedia:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a hypothetical cognitive bias stating that people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability.

As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the bias results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".[1] It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from people's inability to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their level of competence.

Looking that up negated the necessity of my figuring out how to express the Agginess of those posts.

They get ranked number 4 and have a coach who knows how to win a national championship. All biases confirmed. A&M is among the permanently elite (they always were, but the world insisted on not recognizing it), A&M is feared (talk about revealing a deep-seated insecurity), and tu is the non-entity we've always convinced ourselves that they are.

The central dogma of the Texas A&M Fighting Texas Aggies from Texas:

By believing and yelling loud all things may be attained. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Peak summer (maroon) Kool-Aid! 🤩

It's almost like the Aggie version of all gas (hot air!), no brakes (because...let the roller coaster accelerate to its peak!)

:D:D:D

You one of them Two-percenters? It's interesting how many A&M grads I've met in the last ten years who say so right off the bat. And I believe them. Maybe there is hope of diluting that bizarre, sick culture yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is probably my favorite thread on the site. Not a lot of derailment and always amusing. It's also often the best place for a quick glance at our own recruiting.

It will be interesting to see if A&M can gin up the FedEx machine again and get the same success they had in a profoundly diminished SWC with Texas down. 

The SEC is not the awesome top-to-bottom league they claim it is, but they are the most likely conference to always have two or three elite teams every season.  When Bama fades (all teams do for awhile), somebody else will suck in the available talent and dominate their division.

In the SWC days, as I recall, the Aggies would dominate a weakened schedule (option football when you could actually have a wrecking crew) and get shown up in the Cotton Bowl whenever they played an elite team. They won't have that path this go 'round. 

If CTJ is right about Jimbo's doubts, this could be some excellent, suspenseful shit to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You one of them Two-percenters? It's interesting how many A&M grads I've met in the last ten years who say so right off the bat. And I believe them. Maybe there is hope of diluting that bizarre, sick culture yet.

I would qualify, yes.

I've not been back on campus in many years so not sure how much it has changed but from reading it seems it has changed quite a bit.  I can tell you that when I was in school the student population was still about 85% white, and most of it was suburban or rural. Though of course engineering and hard sciences buildings were crawling with Asians of various sorts even then.  I've grown socially conservative SINCE my college years but not when I was in college, so there's that twist, but now it seems the campus is a good mix of liberals and conservatives, which is great.  And A&M scores higher with regard to on campus free speech, better than, say, Berkeley for sure. 

But yea, as far as college sports and shit, I was a 2%-er because I was too busy earning my engineering degree to bother with sports... I had neither the time nor the money to spend. I developed the interest only after graduating and settling in a career.

I'd think I'm also one of the few that chooses to move to Philly and live an urban lifestyle. And I'm a minority in many other ways, as well, in practically any room and any situation. :D That's ok, I'm used to it and am comfortable in my own skin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I caught up some yesterday. ATM's hiring of Nick Williams away from Georgia should signal to everyone that they're going to do what they desperately need to do in order to sign anyone who is pretty much only about the money. They're getting as brazen with their activities now as they've been at Georgia, with Williams in the middle on both fronts. Bear Alexander is a prime example here, and Williams is the connect. 

If you see someone like Denver Harris taking a midweek visit to ATM after he's straight-up ghosted them, you know the recruits are talking and the buzz is that ATM will get you paid. 

Staff and Jimbo are openly talking about "taking care of the family" when the parents visit his ranch while the recruits are hosted with an embarrassment of party and luxury riches. 

Fisher has a growing concern that you can't actually win at ATM. If they buy a bunch of top 3 classes and still can't get it over the hump, he doesn't want to miss a shot in Baton Rouge. Will see how the window works out. ATM isn't kicking ass in the portal because a) they've not planned for it well and are scouting and reacting within it poorly and b) players who have been on campuses somewhere and already gotten paid aren't as gung ho to further relegate themselves into a new shithole. This is a tell to the staff at this point that it's not exactly an equitable shangri-la to recruit to compared to places like Austin, Los Angeles or football hotbeds with rabid fans that aren't also fucking weirdos. 

That's all shit to watch.

ok, this started off on even keel but then veers off a bit, IMO.

As far as I can tell, UT has been scavenging the transfer portal because it's new staff feels the need to fill urgent holes.  And as compared to previous regime changes, this staff is luckier because of the dynamic of more talent doing the transfer portal dance and so there is more talent to pick. Jimbo and A&M likely don't feel the urgency and having established a couple of full cycles of recruiting, don't want to dip into the transfer portal if they can help it. Where they wanted some immediate help, they targeted it-- for the OT. They wanted a different name but I think he ended up at OU, but still got what looks to be a workable starter who transferred from Tennessee.  Which other portal targets was A&M seeking desperately or should have been seeking? I honestly don't know.

As for Nick Williams-- I have no idea what his qualifications are, but even if he is just a bag man or a smooth talker for on-the-road recruiting trips, that is hardly different from many other programs that employ that sort of a person.  Jimbo likely felt the need for one, saw Georgia stacking top notch recruiting classes, and has proceeded to pick a few of the staffers from that program... three by now (Coley, Malchow, and Williams). I just see that as the usual SEC dog-eat-dog... there is a lot of "inbreeding" among the coaches/staff. I'm just glad that Jimbo felt the urgency to act, and got down to business.

I just tire of the whole bag man talk. If there are recruiting violations, then lets get those addressed; if there is a whole lot of gray area about these things, then let the game be played and there should be no assumption of some being above board and others being always dirty.

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

Top-50 DB Bryce Anderson: Texas A&M 'set the bar high'

Brian Perroni

Spoiler

Top-50 DB Bryce Anderson: Texas A&M 'set the bar high'

Brian Perroni

National top-50 defensive back Bryce Anderson of Beaumont (Texas) West Brook was one of double-digit official visitors at Texas A&M over the weekend. The 6-foot, 190-pound rising senior is down to a final four of A&M, Alabama, LSU and Texas and will be making a decision next month.

Though Anderson has made the trip to Aggieland several times beginning his freshman year, he was able to see a little more on this visit.

“I got to see pretty much the whole campus,” the nation’s No. 45 overall prospect said. “I was with the players for a bit. We saw most of campus and then I saw where the freshmen live. That was really nice.”

Like other visitors from the weekend, Anderson said that there was just a different air at Texas A&M now.

“I would say everything went well. They set the bar high,” he said. “They showed me and my family a lot of love up there. I could see that the culture is changing. It felt good to be up there again.”

Anderson also enjoyed spending time with the other recruits on their visits. Six of them were Aggie commits and they are working to try to get Anderson to join them.

“I knew most of them going in. It went really well with everybody there,” he said. “That was the best part of it. I knew most of them, so we already had a bond. We’re in a big group chat, so we all know each other. Everybody was having a really good time and liking A&M a lot.”

Anderson is ranked as a safety but A&M would use him in a different spot, at least at first. He could end up sticking there as well.

“I got to talk to coach Elko and coach Rushing a lot about that,” he said. “They want to play corner and nickel at first, and punt return. And I would probably end up at safety eventually. They think my game translates well to a lot of places.”

Anderson took an unofficial visit to LSU last week and has officials later this month to Alabama and Texas. He says he will back in Aggieland once more as well. He originally planned to head down on Tuesday with his younger brother for the youth camp but it will be a different date now.

“I was going to go back [Tuesday] but can’t make it anymore,” he said. “I’m either going to go back this Wednesday or the 25th. The 25th would be for state 7-on-7, if we qualify. When it is, I’ll just be hanging around and checking more things out and getting to talk to the coaches more.”

As for what he is looking for during the rest of his visits, Anderson wants a feel for everything about the schools and programs.

“I really just want to build a relationship with the coaches, see the facilities and get a general feel,” he said. “I also want to see how they want to use me in their defense and stuff like that.”

Anderson plans to announce his decision on either the afternoon or evening of July 4. He says he does not know in his mind where it will be.

“Not yet. I’m still going through my process,” he said. “I’m still figuring everything out. But A&M set the bar high.”

• Like 1

FWIW, Jimbo put more pressure on himself to win, and win now, by running his mouth off about beating Saban's ass. It's a double-edged sword. It can keep his program "fresh" and maintain the attention of recruits (the life-blood of a program), and if he gets shellacked again in that game, then he could also lose a lot of goodwill. But he is already going into his 4th season... so he knows the timeline.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

As for Nick Williams-- I have no idea what his qualifications are, but even if he is just a bag man or a smooth talker for on-the-road recruiting trips, that is hardly different from many other programs that employ that sort of a person.  Jimbo likely felt the need for one, saw Georgia stacking top notch recruiting classes, and has proceeded to pick a few of the staffers from that program... three by now (Coley, Malchow, and Williams). I just see that as the usual SEC dog-eat-dog... there is a lot of "inbreeding" among the coaches/staff. I'm just glad that Jimbo felt the urgency to act, and got down to business.

I just tire of the whole bag man talk. If there are recruiting violations, then lets get those addressed; if there is a whole lot of gray area about these things, then let the game be played and there should be no assumption of some being above board and others being always dirty.

Man, half of your own boards are like "Yay ca$h money! More auction recruitments! We stole UGA's bag man!" and everyone knows the NCAA is even more toothless than it was in the 80s. 

You're like the only aggy fan left trying to say "well we can't say for sure if anything's going on, you guys."

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, PHLaggie said:

FWIW, Jimbo put more pressure on himself to win, and win now, by running his mouth off about beating Saban's ass. It's a double-edged sword. It can keep his program "fresh" and maintain the attention of recruits (the life-blood of a program), and if he gets shellacked again in that game, then he could also lose a lot of goodwill. But he is already going into his 4th season... so he knows the timeline.

It started long before that....it started excepting that massive contract. Then the dipshit aggies giving him that lame ass 20XX national championship trophy. 

21 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

And A&M scores higher with regard to on campus free speech, better than, say, Berkeley for sure. 

You were doing so well then the above. Alas. But this isn't the place to explore this notion.

Anyway, nice to have an Aggie perspective. 

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, half of your own boards are like "Yay ca$h money! More auction recruitments! We stole UGA's bag man!" and everyone knows the NCAA is even more toothless than it was in the 80s. 

You're like the only aggy fan left trying to say "well we can't say for sure if anything's going on, you guys."

probably because i don't follow those boards. lol  i rather come here for a more nuanced take on things.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, the naive, head in the stand schtick is pretty hilarious to see. He roots for a program with one of the known dirtiest HCs around who’s now taking it a level further by hiring obvious bagmen who are about to flip a 5 star recruit who has basically tweeted he has his hand out and initially made a surprise visit and immediate commit to UGA.

But we’ll never know if A&M is actually cheating and have to assume they aren’t unless the NCAA actually sanctions them. 

38 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

ok, this started off on even keel but then veers off a bit, IMO.

As far as I can tell, UT has been scavenging the transfer portal because it's new staff feels the need to fill urgent holes.  And as compared to previous regime changes, this staff is luckier because of the dynamic of more talent doing the transfer portal dance and so there is more talent to pick. Jimbo and A&M likely don't feel the urgency and having established a couple of full cycles of recruiting, don't want to dip into the transfer portal if they can help it. Where they wanted some immediate help, they targeted it-- for the OT. They wanted a different name but I think he ended up at OU, but still got what looks to be a workable starter who transferred from Tennessee.  Which other portal targets was A&M seeking desperately or should have been seeking? I honestly don't know.

I know that you don’t want to hear this, but you are naive. There are specific people on this board who have clear visibility to specific major violations by several SEC schools that far surpass what some other programs have been doing in the last several years.

There is clear evidence to those with that visibility that A&M has begun cheating at a level not seen since the 1980’s. Yes, it’s all in the shadows and will remain that way until the FBI decides it’s worth investigating. Until then, no one can make the charges stick. 

2 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

why would Jimbo care about goodwill from running his mouth off when he has a guaranteed 6 more years on his contract?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

As for Nick Williams-- I have no idea what his qualifications are, but even if he is just a bag man or a smooth talker for on-the-road recruiting trips, that is hardly different from many other programs that employ that sort of a person.  Jimbo likely felt the need for one, saw Georgia stacking top notch recruiting classes, and has proceeded to pick a few of the staffers from that program... three by now (Coley, Malchow, and Williams).

when everyone under the sun says he is a bag man, he's a bag man.

if you think the reason UGA is stacking up top notch recruiting classes is because they are smooth talking guys into recruiting trips you need to open your eyes or take off your SEC colored (they are crimson colored FWIW) glasses.

4 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

since joining the SEC, A&M is 1-8 against Bama

Average margin of victory for Bama in the last 8 games? 22.5 points

getting beaten by 3 TDs is absolutely the definition of shellacked. i am too lazy to dig into box scores for each game, but how many of those games have even been competitive going into the 4th Q

for comparison, the margin of victory in the last 10 years of Texas OU games has been 11 points, and this includes a 42 point OU win in 2010. last 5 years is 7 points.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

getting beaten by 3 TDs is absolutely the definition of shellacked. i am too lazy to dig into box scores for each game, but how many of those games have even been competitive going into the 4th Q

for comparison, the margin of victory in the last 10 years of Texas OU games has been 11 points, and this includes a 42 point OU win in 2010. last 5 years is 7 points.

He wasn't there for all 8 of those games. He is responsible for 3. And I didn't say anything about history, but my wording was implicit that if he gets shellacked "again"...meaning, he has been shellacked before.  So I don't know what your problem is.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

yessss who loses worse smack talk

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

when everyone under the sun says he is a bag man, he's a bag man.

if you think the reason UGA is stacking up top notch recruiting classes is because they are smooth talking guys into recruiting trips you need to open your eyes or take off your SEC colored (they are crimson colored FWIW) glasses.

who is in the bagman role at UT now? Just wondering. Or you guys don't have any bagmen?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, PHLaggie said:

who is in the bagman role at UT now? Just wondering. Or you guys don't have any bagmen?

Brendan Harris is our DoR, and honestly he probably doesn't have the organizational chops to handle that at this point in his career even if he wanted to.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

why would Jimbo care about goodwill from running his mouth off when he has a guaranteed 6 more years on his contract?

see, that's been the standard narrative on Jimbo and his contract with A&M.  Which is why what CTJ wrote makes little sense. Why would he leave the comforts of a 10 year guaranteed deal only to go over to LSU who would be desperate and impatient after having fired Ogre. Heck, Ags are happy just to have gotten into one NY6 bowl game and winning it...that likely bought Jimbo a couple more years of cushion already. His whole take on Jimbo felt off a bit.

• Fuck You 1

All that fan board crap on Banks is rather funny, considering so many Ags hated to see him go to Bama and thought of him/his special teams coaching skills very highly. Did Banks pick up his stripper dating habit only once he left for Bama? I doubt it.

O well. That's the sort of hypocrisy that's funny to witness.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

see, that's been the standard narrative on Jimbo and his contract with A&M.  Which is why what CTJ wrote makes little sense. Why would he leave the comforts of a 10 year guaranteed deal only to go over to LSU who would be desperate and impatient after having fired Ogre. Heck, Ags are happy just to have gotten into one NY6 bowl game and winning it...that likely bought Jimbo a couple more years of cushion already. His whole take on Jimbo felt off a bit.

Because LSU is a lot more desirable job  than coaching football at Texas A&M and even trying to compare the two is literally stupid. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 6

13 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck...it's a duck.

no one involved with recruiting at any level thinks that it is anything other than a bag man.

i have no clue who the Texas bagmen are - but with the last group the guy who was most often tied to being that was Jay Valai even if he was less than great at it.

edit: probably banks

seriously, anyone who has read anything about williams, other than you evidently, has said he's a bagman.

Edited by NoName

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Because LSU is a lot more desirable job than than coaching football at Texas A&M and even trying to compare the two is literally stupid. 

I hear you.  I feel that that might make sense for a coach still climbing the ladder. I suppose the only (and obviously very important) reason for Jimbo to bail and go to LSU would be if he thought he could more likely win a ring there than at A&M. Didn't LSU try to land him in the past but he refused? or the timing didn't work out for some reason? If LSU sputters this season and Jimbo has 10 wins, I imagine he would feel just fine staying put.  Beyond winning, would LSU be able to buy out his contract or pay him more than he is getting paid right now? Desirability is also in terms of $$, on, especially as Jimbo is in his mid-50s now.

• Fuck You 1