Martial arts for a 5 year old

My 5 year old son wants to learn "kung fu," likely due to me bingeing a few old kung fu movies on Amazon this weekend. What type of martial art is best for a 5 year old? There are several karate and (even more) taekwondo places around my hood. 

Honestly, I think judo is the best way to go. But if he is watching Kung fu, then he wants to kick and punch, so I guess taekwondo. I wouldn’t want my kid doing any sparring where he could take blows to the head.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Honestly, I think judo is the best way to go. But if he is watching Kung fu, then he wants to kick and punch, so I guess taekwondo. I wouldn’t want my kid doing any sparring where he could take blows to the head.

Mercy is for the weak

2nd for Judo & also if you don't want your kid to actually get hurt, Take my Dough (their sparring has everyone so effing up-armored, you have to shoot them to get through the cladding).

If you can find a good Shotokan or even better yet, a Shorin-Ryu program, consider that a success.  Judo, OTOH, is good because a quality Dojo will work equally with

Nage-Waza (throwing techniques: hip, foot, hand, sacrificial)
Katame-Waza (grappling techniques)
Atemi-Waza (body striking)
Uke-Waza (blocking & other defensive avoidances or counters)
Ukemi (how to fall... back, side, forward, roll-outs)

For little kids, they will start with Ukemi & a lot of Ashi--Waza (foot techniques) so as to prevent serious harm to kids that don't know how to receive a simple O-Goshi (major hip throw).

A good Judo program has BJJ type stuff in the ground work AND throws.  IMO, BJJ doesn't do anywhere near enough throws (if @ all).

• Like 1

A good Judo program has BJJ type stuff in the ground work AND throws.  IMO, BJJ doesn't do anywhere near enough throws (if @ all).

Depends on the school. I have trained at BJJ places that were heavy in judo and wrestling takedowns. And on the other hand I have trained with many judokas who barely did any ground work like at a BJJ school. You know it depends.