2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

The 'thin green line' deals with more crazy shit than almost any other LE group, for roughly 40% less pay.  Love our guy.  He's great.  

If you are not reading Game Warden Field Notes, you are missing out.  Amazing how much social media is making their jobs easier:

• Morris County game warden received a text informing him there was a video on SnapChat of an airboat with underage people on it possibly bow fishing and consuming alcohol.
  • The warden contacted the caller and they stated there was a video on Instagram of a male subject shooting a turkey out of a truck window.
  • a Titus County game warden completed a joint investigation on a local wholesale fish dealer for illegally importing and selling whole unprocessed alligator from Louisiana. This investigation was initiated when an unprocessed alligator was advertised for sell on Facebook in Henderson County by an unlicensed retail fish dealer. 

2 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

If anyone is interested in a good deal on a new in box Remington 1187 (semi-auto 12 ga.) synthetic, DM me

How long have you been trying to sell that thing for? I'll give you $3.50 (gotta make sure you are clear on what tree fiddy means these day). But, yeah, hope you sell it for a decent price.

Going out to my hunting land this weekend to get the deer fields planted and feeders set up. Replacing one of them with an ASF EZ Feeder that I picked up from Buc-ee's today.
Going out Sunday for the dove opener with some buddies down in Red Oak. Don't know a damn thing about the fields we are hunting other than they were to have harvested corn from them this past week. So it can be really good or crap. Either way, I'm ready for the season to be here.

Hitting Academy tonight to get my license, a couple of cases of shells, a few cases of clays, and some miscellaneous stuff to contribute at a friend's ranch where the boy and I are invited to hunt.  We'll head out tomorrow mid-day, to get there in time to help with some chores, then eat dinner and watch some football. 

Then we hunt Sunday, and the morning hunt on Monday.  Cuz we gotta get back in town by Monday afternoon.  Because see, there's this girl, and the boy asked her out.....and man, it got me to remembering some hunting trips with my dad at that age.  I'd either roll into the house at 1:00 am when we had a 4:00 am wakeup to head out, or I'd want us to hustle back because, even though I hadn't slept much and REALLY needed a shower, if we hurried I'd get to go out with a gal.  Gotta strike the right balance.

• Like 3

Had a cast and blast this weekend in the valley.  Fishing Port Isabel wasn’t great, had boat trailer issues so that cut into fishing time. Sunday afternoon we went to my buddy’s family place at Palmito Hill with his 14 year old son and 74 year old dad on the Rio Grande and had the most fantastic dove hunting day I’ve experienced.  3 limits between 4 people, and could have easily had 4 but his dad wasn’t taking any home so we stopped at 3.  Didn’t want to chance it at the checkpoint on the way out of the ranch.  Hopefully will go back later this season.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 3

Crimson, I only get to dove hunt a few times a year at most, but I can easily count on a few hands* how many hunts I’ve had that were “lackluster”, if you will.   Are y’all over any tank or field, or just on a tree line etc?   I understand completely what you are saying, I’m transitioning my kids off of perch to more challenging fishing, and hoping I don’t lose them.   Lots of boring deer hunts and busted duck hunts, but I have a little luck on the dove fields. 

*rain outs excluded. 

15 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

No birds to speak of in Guadalupe County near Geronimo.  First time hunting this pasture (big milo field).  Killed one bird between morning and afternoon hunts Sunday.  Our group of eight killed six birds total.  Worst opening day hunt I've ever had by a wide margin.

Because they're all in Frisco.  Hundreds of them on the wires overlooking the sunflower fields I pass on the way to work....taunting me.  I could limit out with a quiet pellet rifle in minutes.

22 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

No birds to speak of in Guadalupe County near Geronimo.  First time hunting this pasture (big milo field).  Killed one bird between morning and afternoon hunts Sunday.  Our group of eight killed six birds total.  Worst opening day hunt I've ever had by a wide margin.

The dove hunting in the whole area has gone to shit. My lease outside of San Marcos has gone from passing on all MDs and shooting a limit of WWs in 10 minutes while sitting on the tailgate to hardly any birds at all over the last 4 years. Neighbors don't shoot either, it used to be like a war zone out there. The game warden don't even come out any more. I used to have clouds of them in my backyard, now I rarely even see them.

I can't figure out what happened.

8 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

The dove hunting in the whole area has gone to shit. My lease outside of San Marcos has gone from passing on all MDs and shooting a limit of WWs in 10 minutes while sitting on the tailgate to hardly any birds at all over the last 4 years. Neighbors don't shoot either, it used to be like a war zone out there. The game warden don't even come out any more. I used to have clouds of them in my backyard, now I rarely even see them.

I can't figure out what happened.

I was wondering the same thing.  I hunted on a few spots in that area (Yarrington Rd, Zorn, New Braunfels airport) for several years and we ALWAYS slayed them the first few weeks.  I haven't hunted in that area for the last 4-5 years.  It's bizarre.  I wonder if someone can shed some light on why there's been such a dramatic change.  Sounds like I won't be renewing the lease.  Oh well...

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I was wondering the same thing.  I hunted on a few spots in that area (Yarrington Rd, Zorn, New Braunfels airport) for several years and we ALWAYS slayed them the first few weeks.  I haven't hunted in that area for the last 4-5 years.  It's bizarre.  I wonder if someone can shed some light on why there's been such a dramatic change.  Sounds like I won't be renewing the lease.  Oh well...

Why lease a place that can be passed up by the doves when you can get with a good outfitter that will scout the region and put you on birds for great day hunts. They go where the birds are 

4 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Why lease a place that can be passed up by the doves when you can get with a good outfitter that will scout the region and put you on birds for great day hunts. They go where the birds are 

And that's a fair argument.  My business partner and I wanted a place all to ourselves that was within an hour of home / work where we could take employees, guests, etc as we please without having to worry about schedule, logistics, etc.  The plus side is we can get a wild hair and head down there whenever we want with up to 20 people in tow.  The down side is we probably aren't going to shoot shit this year.  It was relatively cheap, so not a huge deal.  

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’d rather have the access and maybe not the birds, myself.  ALOT to be said for having your own place. 

That was our stance as well.  Nice to go out there with my kids and my dog and not worry about a pasture jam-packed with folks with zero regard for gun safety.  The clients we took Sunday were all folks we'd hunted with before.  It's so much more enjoyable when you're not worried about getting peppered.  

3 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
15 hours ago, deadshank said:

Going with a good outfitter doesn't always mean quality hunting.

Perhaps I should have said part of “good” is made up of “honest.”   The 2 outfitters I use in the Uvalde area will flat out tell you when there are and aren’t birds and tell you not to come if there are no birds and won’t take your money.  

Perhaps I should have said part of “good” is made up of “honest.”   The 2 outfitters I use in the Uvalde area will flat out tell you when there are and aren’t birds and tell you not to come if there are no birds and won’t take your money.  
Unfortunately most dove outfitters depend on the first few weekends for 80% of their revenue and don't call off hunts.

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Unfortunately most dove outfitters depend on the first few weekends for 80% of their revenue and don't call off hunts.

Deadshank, do you mind sharing the names of the "good" outfitters you use?  I used to hunt with Steve Rambie and I felt like he always was straight with me...really liked him, but I stopped because it was a further drive than I wanted to make.  Maybe I should head back that way.  I think I've hunted with most of the outfitters in the uvalde/sabinal/hondo area and most of annoyed me or down right pissed me off at one point or another, with the exception of Steve Rambie and Steve Wilson.  I've also had great hunts with all of them at one point or another as well...    

I also agree 100% with Both Tacos that most outfitters won't call off a hunt at the beginning of the season, and I understand why.  They have a big lease payment (or payments) to pay, plus other expenses, but I would much rather an outfitter have a policy that there are no refunds, but you can come back and hunt another time, rather than waste my time in a dead field or dead part of a field.  At least give me the option of travelling knowing the hunting might not be great or rescheduling if I think I can get back out there another time; that would go a long way for me.  

And for the record, what the "new" owners of Nooners (the Paloma Pachonga guys, or "new" Paloma Pachonga after Rad Weaver's group sold it) have done to that property from a hunting perspective is a damn shame.  It's not even close to what it used to be; I'm irrationally angry about it.   

3 hours ago, 3shot said:

Deadshank, do you mind sharing the names of the "good" outfitters you use?  I used to hunt with Steve Rambie and I felt like he always was straight with me...really liked him, but I stopped because it was a further drive than I wanted to make.  Maybe I should head back that way.  I think I've hunted with most of the outfitters in the uvalde/sabinal/hondo area and most of annoyed me or down right pissed me off at one point or another, with the exception of Steve Rambie and Steve Wilson.  I've also had great hunts with all of them at one point or another as well...    

I also agree 100% with Both Tacos that most outfitters won't call off a hunt at the beginning of the season, and I understand why.  They have a big lease payment (or payments) to pay, plus other expenses, but I would much rather an outfitter have a policy that there are no refunds, but you can come back and hunt another time, rather than waste my time in a dead field or dead part of a field.  At least give me the option of travelling knowing the hunting might not be great or rescheduling if I think I can get back out there another time; that would go a long way for me.  

And for the record, what the "new" owners of Nooners (the Paloma Pachonga guys, or "new" Paloma Pachonga after Rad Weaver's group sold it) have done to that property from a hunting perspective is a damn shame.  It's not even close to what it used to be; I'm irrationally angry about it.   

No problem.

Mark Roberts out of Uvalde.  830-261-9467.  He spans from Uvalde down to Batesville.  Mostly over black oil sunflower and sometimes sesame. 

Layton Chambers out of Hondo.  211-414-1711 or 210-355-3409.  Sometimes his wife, Minnie, does the bookings.  Same thing, mostly black oil sunflower and sesame.  He spans from Hondo out 90 to Knippa and Uvalde and then down to LaPryor and Batesville.

With each of these two I have hunted  the same field only one time  but that was weeks apart.  They have multiple properties to access in the region.

Regarding "dove leases" and "big payments," I think these guys split day hunt revenue with the property owner and aren't tied to any one particular property that can get overhunted.  Rarely do they hunt any of the properties more than 2 days in a row and almost never Monday - Thursday.

I've never been disappointed with them.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I think part of the issue this year has been weather.  The last two months have just been hot high pressure with no fronts and nothing to get the birds moving.  Hopefully that changes this month.

That’s probably right.  Because I have friends who have reported awesome dove hunts in the northern part of the state.  

I’ve been out to Paloma Pachanga each of the past 6-7 years, and I would say this was one of the slower years.

Most of our group limited both days, but the birds were concentrated so some hunters didn’t do well (3-8 kills). Usually it doesn’t matter where you are and you can limit if you can aim a little.

My son and his buddy were great bird dogs:
3a1099a784a18796e38965e414797a43.jpg

Overall, still a ton of birds and an amazing time:
80241759c4d7c97827c29c1d8235840b.jpg

• Like 4