2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

Looking to buy something new to get the boys shooting at game.  Right now we're working with .22 to get the basics of firearm responsibility down, but want to add something to the arsenal that will allow them to make a real go at it, probably next year. .243 or .25-06? Would love to hear some advice on how you introduced your boys (or girls) to hunting and stepped up their involvement. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

243 or .25-06?

I can’t help with the advice (mine are still too young) but there’s a helluva lot of recoil difference between a .243 and a 25-06. I don’t know how old your kids are, or big they are, but a 25-06 will require some shoulder.   Personally, even if they are future Oline giants, I’d start them off with something smaller, and let them build up their accuracy (and confidence). You didn’t say what you planned to hunt, but I’ll assume white tail.  .243, .308, or even better a 7mm-08.  All can be as accurate as anything, and all have “reduced recoil” loads off the shelf. As you probably well know, accuracy will kill them deader than a poorly placed shot from the biggest magnum. 

• Like 1

Some of my friends have had really good luck with their kids using AR-10’s and 15’s (not 5.56, other calibers). The collapsible stocks work with fitting correctly, and the gas takes a lot of the recoil out.  Ymmv. 

I own rifles all over the map (including several Wbys and big mags) but don’t have much recoil tolerance. Just never have. I can’t imagine what’s good for an 8 yo.  I have a model 7 .243 that I plan on using with my girls when they get a bit older.   

• Like 1

I am not really looking to put something other than a 22 in the oldest one's hands this year.  I figure I will let him tote around the 22 unloaded this year at first, and show me that he has the basics of safety down, and maybe let him sight in a few target shots as he demonstrates responsibility later in the season. This season we are going to focus on safety and hopefully some bonding sitting in the blind and getting messy.   

• Like 2

When I was first tagging along with hunting trips, my dad brought a BB gun and we would plink cans during downtime. Highly recommend it. Was plenty entertaining for me, and very occasionally a squirrel or bird would present an opportunity. And the grownups would sometimes get a little drunk and have shooting competitions with it also.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Looking to buy something new to get the boys shooting at game.  Right now we're working with .22 to get the basics of firearm responsibility down, but want to add something to the arsenal that will allow them to make a real go at it, probably next year. .243 or .25-06? Would love to hear some advice on how you introduced your boys (or girls) to hunting and stepped up their involvement. 

243 is the way to go for kids, imo. Except that's it's a slightly smaller round so you need to be sure the range is close enough and the kid is an accurate enough shot, but if you can check off both of those, it would work fine.  

• Like 1

For yutes, I like a 260Rem/6.5Creed in a compact rifle shooting reduced recoil rounds for the typical TX deer. Work up from 22LR to 223, etc to introduce increasing recoil.  When they can handle it, let then go ahead and shoot full power rounds.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

I started my kids out on a 22-250 youth rifle. It is a Rossi that has the interchangeable barrels (20 gauge shotgun/22-250 rifle).

Lol.  I still use a 22-250.  55gr PSP's in the neck.  Done.

Agree on the 243 recommendation.  Great all around caliber for Texas.  It's just a necked down .308 cartridge.  The 25-06 is a necked down .270 (which is a necked down 30-06).

I bring this up because the 243 is a short-action.  25-06 is a long.  Another aspect to consider.  SA's have a shorter bolt-throw.  Smaller/shorter ejection port.  Equating (in theory) to faster reloads and a slightly lighter rifle.  

• Also look at a 223 with a twist rate around 1:9.  This allows you to stabilize a heavier grain (60+).  60-70gr with proper placement is plenty for smaller Texas deer.  It has effectively zero recoil, and forces a young hunter to have pin-point shot placement.  I have a .270 that I sometimes use, but I keep going back to the 22-250 because it's so much fun to shoot.  
  • Like 1

I have a .243 that you can borrow for the season if you want, to see how it shoots, how it fits, etc.

The boy is shooting his grandpa's 30/06 now (on "permanent loan"), and I don't shoot much (mostly hang in the blind with the boy).  When I do shoot on my own, I either use his 30/06 or my .300 Weatherby Mag.

Seriously, our .243 has killed some deer.  The boy took his first deer with it a few years ago (a doe), and I took a nice buck with it.  You're welcome to try it out.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Lol.  I still use a 22-250.  55gr PSP's in the neck.  Done.

This is the way I’m trending myself, as well. I left it and .223 off only because I’ve seen a few lost deer, specifically with .223 and youth hunters.   Absolutely more than lethal, but margin of error definitely decreased. Young kids, buck fever, etc. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

This is the way I’m trending myself, as well. I left it and .223 off only because I’ve seen a few lost deer, specifically with .223 and youth hunters.   Absolutely more than lethal, but margin of error definitely decreased. Young kids, buck fever, etc. 

Yep.  I didn't have a choice.  Started with an old .222 Rem that couldn't' stabilize anything north of 50gr.  I HAD to make the shots.  So it's a matter of time and training.  Maybe that's why I gravitate towards the smaller calibers so much.  You pretty much have to make neck shots.  That's the trade-off.  Body shots, and they have a good chance of running (depending on the size of the deer).

Of course as a youth hunter, I'm also targeting smaller does.  Which makes things easier.  

• Like 1

Anastasis, I love the idea of having them keep an unloaded .22 or pellet gun around to monitor their safety for a bit. 

it sounds like you are already doing this, but one thing that I think helps more than any other, is keeping them firing at the range often. The more they send down the tube the more comfortable they’ll become, and with better accuracy comes more confidence, ability to use lower recoil loads more efficiently, etc.  I mean, ponder the literal 10’s of thousands of .22 shells you plinked back when bricks were cheap and plentiful.  Anyhow, working his way up to his deer caliber, then practicing with that over and over will remove 95% of the bad habits that happen during youth hunts. If he empties a few boxes of (22-250, 243, 7-08) whatever at the range, it’ll be normal by the time he’s got a deer in the cross hairs. 

im very very much looking forward to introducing my oldest to hunting in the next couple of years. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Some of my friends have had really good luck with their kids using AR-10’s and 15’s (not 5.56, other calibers). The collapsible stocks work with fitting correctly, and the gas takes a lot of the recoil out.  Ymmv. 

I own rifles all over the map (including several Wbys and big mags) but don’t have much recoil tolerance. Just never have. I can’t imagine what’s good for an 8 yo.  I have a model 7 .243 that I plan on using with my girls when they get a bit older.   

This right here.  The collapsible stock and basically no recoil makes it awesome for kids.  One thing I also do to help youngsters shoot and gain confidence is use a shooting sandbag on the window and a bipod shooting stick supporting the butt of the rifle.  I sit to the left of the kid and adjust the shooting stick's height (I use a primo with a trigger, shown below) and get the target close to lined up.  And then the kid can make small adjustments to make the shot.  Ear muff shooting protection plus a light recoil from a semi auto and they will not notice the kick at all.  Makes the shot much easier.  This has worked well with every kid that is new to shooting.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

A .223 with the right ammo is perfectly fine.  I like the Barnes tsx.

I have killed a lot of deer with a 22-250 through the neck.  But I am not sure I would use one now.  I pretty much stick to high shoulder shots these days.  Bust both shoulders and they don't run off the 50-200 yards almost every deer will run shooting behind the shoulder in the vitals.  

35 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Ear muff shooting protection plus a light recoil from a semi auto and they will not notice the kick at all.  Makes the shot much easier.  This has worked well with every kid that is new to shooting.

Friend has a suppressed & scoped .300 blackout SBR.  Deer killing machine.  His kid can sit in the blind with him, no ear protection, and he can talk him through each shot.  It's great.  

It's a great round.  They do make it for a bolt-gun as well.  As they do the 7.62x39.  Both are great for deer.  

In the end.  There are no real "bad" choices.  Get him something he's comfortable with and turn him loose.  Like I said, I fell in love with that .222 Rem and became a dangerous shot with it.  As far as most popular.  .243 with a good stock and a recoil pad, and decent to really good optics.  Better the glass, the easier to make a clean shot.  This is exactly what my aging father did.  Became recoil-sensitive, so be bought a stainless Savage with a nice Leo scope and never looked back.  I really love that gun and it's ridiculously accurate.  

• Like 2

I'll weigh in here.....

Can't go wrong with a .243 at all......gun for a lifetime in TX.   Dollars to donuts that the kid will graduate up to a larger caliber in teens / 20's and then go back to the .243 later in life...it's just that good of a TX hunting round and a joy to shoot.

7mm-08 - Great choice but ammo selection isn't as good, especially in rural areas if you lose a box - Every town has a hardware store or grocery store with .243 on the shelf - not so much the 7mm-08.

Another option and a gun I want for myself is the CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39.  Great short to intermediate range TX whitetail gun....minimal recoil....cheap ammo and a beautiful firearm with good ergonomics for a smaller framed shooter.

A third option and I think it was referenced above - Get a bolt action 300blk and a suppressor.   A blast to shoot......kills deer DRT and great to train young shooters b/c the muzzle blast is really more of a flinch-maker than the actual recoil.   Ruger Ranch or CZ 537 synthetic would be a great choice for a 300blk.  You can shoot supers out of it in a hunting situation with a suppressor and it is still pleasant , and use subs for early training / practice.  

Edited by Reagan1k

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I have a .243 that you can borrow for the season if you want, to see how it shoots, how it fits, etc.

The boy is shooting his grandpa's 30/06 now (on "permanent loan"), and I don't shoot much (mostly hang in the blind with the boy).  When I do shoot on my own, I either use his 30/06 or my .300 Weatherby Mag.

Seriously, our .243 has killed some deer.  The boy took his first deer with it a few years ago (a doe), and I took a nice buck with it.  You're welcome to try it out.

The Boy is more of a man than me.  At the age of 35, I traded-in my 30-06 (which I hated with a passion) for a 25-06 that I absolutely love.  When I started deer hunting as a teenager, Kansas had a minimum caliber requirement of .223, so my 22-250 coyote gun was not allowed.  Which made no sense, because it to this day is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.  Anyway, out here on the high plains, the mule deer weapon of choice for my dad and his friends was 30-06, so by god that's what I got.  Bolt action, I hated every shot.

1 minute ago, Kennythetiger said:

The Boy is more of a man than me.  At the age of 35, I traded-in my 30-06 (which I hated with a passion) for a 25-06 that I absolutely love.  When I started deer hunting as a teenager, Kansas had a minimum caliber requirement of .223, so my 22-250 coyote gun was not allowed.  Which made no sense, because it to this day is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.  Anyway, out here on the high plains, the mule deer weapon of choice for my dad and his friends was 30-06, so by god that's what I got.  Bolt action, I hated every shot.

It's a Weatherby Mark V too, and it ain't light.  The kick isn't bad.  Of course, the boy is now over 6 feet tall, although he's skinny as hell.  But he doesn't flinch when he shoots, it really doesn't have a bad kick.

The .300 mag though.....Damned cannon.

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Man, if you're located close to Brisket, take him up on that gun offer, even if it's just a box of ammo at the range on a Saturday morning.  Nothing better for experimenting than a borrowed gun.  

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

No.  Just no.

Oh come on, it’s a lever action.   If you’re talking strictly accuracy for hunting yeah I get it, but they are fun as hell to shoot, and versatile.  My Marlin is still my favorite gun.

I do have this old Ruger .22-250 that my friends kids have taken their first deer with.  Easy to shoot and pretty accurate but we never put them where they have to shoot more than 100 yards at first.  

spacer.png

Kids grow like weeds. And they're tough. They'll outgrow a pea-shooter in 2 years.

I'd rec a Savage 7mm-08 with Hornady Custom Lite 120 gr SST ammo.

Or a PSA AR in 300BO.

My teen has many firearms to choose from but always grabs one of the above on the way out the door.

Low recoil, fairly inexpensive and they both get it done now and for years to come.

50 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I love the Surly contigent recs for a suppressed 300BLK as a kid's first hunting rifle. 

Seriously. 

Well, there is also the benefit that the gun needs someone to use it when the kid can’t go too. 

And, there’s no better way to build a confident shooter than going suppressed.  

Edited by Reagan1k

24 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Oh come on, it’s a lever action.   If you’re talking strictly accuracy for hunting yeah I get it, but they are fun as hell to shoot, and versatile.  My Marlin is still my favorite gun.

I do have this old Ruger .22-250 that my friends kids have taken their first deer with.  Easy to shoot and pretty accurate but we never put them where they have to shoot more than 100 yards at first.  

spacer.png

Mannlicher stock on a Ruger.... love it.  How old is it?  What model? 

One other suggestion.  If you ever think this is a rifle he needs to grow into or just wants a larger caliber for longer shots, etc.  Look at reduced recoil ammunition.  They load these down for recoil sensitive hunters, youths, etc.  

Managed Recoil by Remington

Custom Lite by Hornady

I think there are many more out there.  

On 10/13/2019 at 9:44 PM, 4th_and_18 said:

Good weekend in the hill country. How’s everyone else’s bow season going?
6234565d0ec00511cb1650278ceca221.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking deer, love the curly antlers. Story behind the buck?  I've only gone out for a couple hunts, been busy with other life things. Hoping to go out on Sunday morning and do a long sit. Going to take a doe if the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by Noogman

One of these days I'm gonna get a bow, but by the time I get to where I have the time to bow hunt I'll probably be too old and weak to draw it. At least that's how it feels sometimes.

You need a a takedown recurve if not a long bow and wooden arrows fletched with the wing feather of a previous turkey kill, fitted with a hand sharpened Zwickey broadheads, carried in your hand tooled leather quiver.

You need a a takedown recurve if not a long bow and wooden arrows fletched with the wing feather of a previous turkey kill, fitted with a hand sharpened Zwickey broadheads, carried in your hand tooled leather quiver.

Or an elite, high tech crossbow.

Sounds like a coupla wusses who don’t know how to handle an atlatl.