2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

Good looking deer, love the curly antlers. Story behind the buck?  I've only gone out for a couple hunts, been busy with other life things. Hoping to go out on Sunday morning and do a long sit. Going to take a doe if the opportunity presents itself.

Been hunting this place in rocksprings for about 6 years now. Bow hunting the last few years. No bucks to speak of until last year and this year. We’ve spent six years managing does and culling some gnarly old spikes (multiple 12” spikes!). Many of the neighbors have done the same. We have seen the effect. We also started feeding protein and added more corn feeders this year. At least 5 deer with 8 points or more on camera. I sat in my blind Friday night. I saw 28 whitetail come within 50 yards(!!!) and 3 axis. The axis never came closer than 150 yds, but it was fun seeing them. Right about 31 minutes after sunset I saw this 8 point buck walk up to the pen and just stand there at about 15 yards. I could only make it out in my binoculars. Too dark for naked eye. Saturday night I sat in the same stand thinking he might come out again...maybe earlier this time. A spike came out and I spent way too much time trying to determine if he would be my therapy for Texas losing to OU or if I’d give him one more year to see if he develops more. I let him go. Not 15 minutes later a 9 point with all width and no height to him came out. I drew while I was blocked by a tree. As he walked into the open I just saw the 8 in the corner of my eye. I knew I would take him if I saw him again. I swung over and released with what felt like a great shot at a broadside deer. This is where things took a turn. As I was releasing the 9 had jumped the fence to the pen and the 8 reacted by jumping forward after him. Not sure what spooked them as I didn’t hear a thing. But maybe I was in the moment. The arrow hit far back and a “little” high. The deer took off straight away from me. The arrow looked like it was barely in and from my view it looked way back and high. We left him overnight just to be safe. I went out the next morning to find no blood. At all. It had rained a little the night before. This was gonna be tough. It took me two hours of crisscrossing to find the arrow and a couple of drops of blood. This scared me a bit. I was hoping to see more. I tried to remember where the runoff “creek” is on this section of property. I know that injured deer sometimes head to water and since it had rained there might have been some flowing. I made my way down to the bottom of the valley and crisscrossed again. After about 45 minutes I found one drop of blood. I bent down to take a look and see if I could find anything else. I looked up and he was staring at me about 25 yards ahead. I disposed of him with my knife and then spent quite a bit of time talking to my much more experienced friend about what I could’ve done better and what I’ll take from this to the next hunt. I was especially proud of my trusting my experience and instincts in finding him. We examined him a bit closer. Turns out the arrow just barely hit spine and barely nicked any artery there if at all. Very little blood inside even after all night. He would’ve died eventually but it would’ve been slow and probably from starving or dehydration. This made my finding him that much more important to me. I am very new to bow hunting and keep learning a ton every time I go out. Two years in a row with an 8 point. Plenty of misses and WTFs along the way the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, davidg said:

You need a a takedown recurve if not a long bow and wooden arrows fletched with the wing feather of a previous turkey kill, fitted with a hand sharpened Zwickey broadheads, carried in your hand tooled leather quiver.

I actually tried to make a fiberglass backed long bow out of the best piece of oak I could find at the hardware store back when I was in college. It broke when I was tillering it. If we had any bowdark on our property I would cut some down and age it for a proper bow. And there aren't any turkeys really here in East Texas, so I'd have to fletch the arrows with something else. We do have some black walnut, and I've got a nice slab we had sawn out of the middle of a tornado felled tree that has been aged just about right to make a stock for a longrifle or fusil de chasse. My great plains rifle has a nasty crack right through the middle of the lock area where it is weakest, so it looks like I might get some practice fitting a new stock to it.

I have a bunch of wood left over from a cabin build. I am going to build a 2 person blind. The lazy asshole in me wants to do 4x8 so I have to cut less. Is that too big/wide? I keep going back and forth. The location this will go in, you will only be able to shoot out of one side, plus maybe 20 degrees in either direction (if that makes sense). I dont think it will be necessary to move to the other side to scope a deer since you cant really shoot out of the sides. I plan on windows everywhere just so my boys have more options for looking around.

Edited by HOOKEM4

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I actually tried to make a fiberglass backed long bow out of the best piece of oak I could find at the hardware store back when I was in college. It broke when I was tillering it. If we had any bowdark on our property I would cut some down and age it for a proper bow. And there aren't any turkeys really here in East Texas, so I'd have to fletch the arrows with something else. We do have some black walnut, and I've got a nice slab we had sawn out of the middle of a tornado felled tree that has been aged just about right to make a stock for a longrifle or fusil de chasse. My great plains rifle has a nasty crack right through the middle of the lock area where it is weakest, so it looks like I might get some practice fitting a new stock to it.

"bowdark?"

I have a bunch of wood left over from a cabin build. I am going to build a 2 person blind. The lazy asshole in me wants to do 4x8 so I have to cut less. Is that too big/wide? I keep going back and forth. The location this will go in, you will only be able to shoot out of one side, plus maybe 20 degrees in either direction (if that makes sense). I dont think it will be necessary to move to the other side to scope a deer since you cant really shoot out of the sides. I plan on windows everywhere just so my boys have more options for looking around.
If you have boys (as in plural) then a 4x8 will be a good size.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:55 PM, Both Tacos said:
On 10/16/2019 at 1:46 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

If you have boys (as in plural) then a 4x8 will be a good size.

4x8 is not too big.  As I've gotten older i appreciate a bigger blind even if I am hunting by myself.  Easier to move in, don't have to be a contortionist and can stretch out some.

Make comfort be the guide (and less cutting) and don't worry about shooting angles.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:46 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

I would plan on putting windows all around anyhow just so you have the option of moving it somewhere else in the future.

I’ve been watching this big one-antlered fellow for a couple years now.  I found his shed 3 years ago, so he’s been this way for at least 4 years.  Must have been injured when he was young.  In the pics this week and through binoculars it looks like the non-antlered side has some growth coming out of it.  Pics aren’t good enough quality to really tell.  I’d love to have him on a mount but really don’t want to shoot him.  He brings all the youngsters out in the morning to the feeder until the mamas show up.   Anyone have one like this before?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 2

Looks like these fronts have finally blown some more dove down into the area. I shot five with a 410 just standing next to my barn in Booth (just outside Sugar Land) yesterday.

Not a lot but cleaned them and put them into the refrigerator hoping there might be more the next couple of days. That's the easiest hunting trip of all. 

These are big ones, too, with bushy feathers. Different than the svelte little ones from early September. 

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

@Judge Roybeanbag, that's from your place in Drip?  Rare for that kinda size in our general area, but then I don't think the people in your part of Drip are much on the hunting compared to where I am.

Yeah it’s down in the pasture south below the house.  There’s about 250 contiguous acres including my place where nobody hunts.  There are a few really nice bucks besides this one.  I’ve been culling one or two a year for the past few years.   

Heres a nice 7 or 8 point. Hard to tell from the back but in any case he’s nice and wide.  

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

@Judge Roybeanbag , what game cam are  you working?

This cheap one I bought a couple years ago. Works pretty well though.  

https://www.amazon.com/Campark-Waterproof-Monitoring-120°Detecting-Activated/dp/B07BHLVXF7/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Campark&qid=1571529011&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Yeah it’s down in the pasture south below the house.  There’s about 250 contiguous acres including my place where nobody hunts.  There are a few really nice bucks besides this one.  I’ve been culling one or two a year for the past few years.   
Heres a nice 7 or 8 point. Hard to tell from the back but in any case he’s nice and wide.  
A9810165-C8-EE-4112-BBE1-42-F23-A70-E945.jpg
https://www.qdma.com/qdm-works-culling-doesnt/

17 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Thanks BT for the link, I used the word “culling” but meant more “managing” as in population. Some years I’ll only take a couple of older does, some years a buck or two.  We did shoot a big older spike a couple years ago, when we cleaned him he had hardly any teeth left at all.  

Thanks BT for the link, I used the word “culling” but meant more “managing” as in population. Some years I’ll only take a couple of older does, some years a buck or two.  We did shoot a big older spike a couple years ago, when we cleaned him he had hardly any teeth left at all.  
That's an old spike.
Got out to my place today to start brushing up my duck blinds and checked on the deer food plots since the recent rain. Pleased with the progress.c28bbf2127ed2d565c418dec1237d0a1.jpg62ea04aa867eacc8f59de6a604c5fdc1.jpg2434050cd7c6caf531e1e25e2bb7f8ca.jpg

I know we're conditioned to use blinds (modified outhouses, really) here in Texas; wondering if any of y'all have ever gone to a more rustic hide?

Back around 6 years ago, I took a 7 pt. from the back of my Mom's place & this is the tree laydown I set up.  Not elevated, but still off a feeder (shown in the back L of the pic).

I was sitting on your generic brown steel folding chair (fake rasslin' style) & the Buck I popped was with another of similar size; I hesitated for around 2 minutes trying to decide which one to take & eventually that got answered for me as 1 of them moved out of sight.  The shot was with my L hand on my L knee for stabilization.

10378242_10205211571438529_2899312183474

1900169_10205211569638484_63293717112001

10730982_10205211567998443_4925918206228

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

my arrow hit the feeder fencing

That is infuriating.  Had that with a small cull buck few years back.  Aimed at the base of the neck (rifle).  Hit a wire (thought I'd missed).  Buck is startled and cart-wheels over the fence.  I whistle as loudly as I could.  He stops, looks up.  Took him down.  The ricochet left a hole in his ear.  Crazy.  Wish I'd taken a pic.  

Edited by BabaYaga

I know we're conditioned to use blinds (modified outhouses, really) here in Texas; wondering if any of y'all have ever gone to a more rustic hide?

Back around 6 years ago, I took a 7 pt. from the back of my Mom's place & this is the tree laydown I set up.  Not elevated, but still off a feeder (shown in the back L of the pic).
  I was sitting on your generic brown steel folding chair (fake rasslin' style) & the Buck I popped was with another of similar size; I hesitated for around 2 minutes trying to decide which one to take & eventually that got answered for me as 1 of them moved out of sight.  The shot was with my L hand on my L knee for stabilization.
10378242_10205211571438529_2899312183474165258_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQnywSp4cviml8Vh6UbdBnP3k8SOlAOOZPtEFsItNORIyiz0CcOn7Hv61blYbPZpS4Q&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=2671481e38599e746df5b7ddadef6fed&oe=5E2029BC

1900169_10205211569638484_6329371711200149148_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQlmeuISlmlkoHLiwDa4T4NDcIp7Y6wvyB6W5DCjPw9Da58wbyNLgnaf4BZy9IMdk4E&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=8839a1ce68b2be8985ae537d9b55015e&oe=5E1C91BD

10730982_10205211567998443_4925918206228054764_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQk--gfr1lPLnldvLRRV6bEnMaeofirLqyDGA44EUxsI1MVWSg611Sx_8p0TZL8jXUk&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=a1b616e7df2031ce5b9998a639f670ef&oe=5E5848E4

Not exactly sure where I would set up the lazy boy chair there.

I've sat in the bushes on metal folding chairs, in my Mule or on the ground on many occasions.  It is a great way to hunt if you get in the right spot and sit relatively still.  It is suprising how close some animals will get to you and either completely not notice or ignore you.  It's pretty much the only choice you have when in the  mountains looking for elk or mulies and you don't want to walk all over the place and you know hunting choke points is your best option.

/csb coming:

At an old place I was on in McMullen county, I was trying to get at this old mossback that I would always see off to the side of a sendero and nowhere near a blind.  I dropped a pin with my phone on an old quail cut that sat perpindicular and intersected the sendero where I saw the buck come in and out.  I took off walking the next morning after parking about a mile away.  I got to my spot in complete darkness and burrowed in.  

When the sun came up I saw that old buck about 100 or so yards away as he was on his regular route making his rounds.  As I eased my rifle up on my sticks and lined him up for the shot my scope  went black.  I backed off the glass to see what was  going on and lo and beeho there was a very large boar about 3 feet off the end of my 7mm mag.  I jumped out of my skin at first and then settled down.  That tusker never once turned and looked at me.  He, too, was looking at that buck and then just trotted off into the brush.  I didn't get a shot at the buck as he was moving on after a hot doe.

The funniest part was when I finally got up and off the ground to head back, when I stood up the old guy that ran our lease stood up about 175 or so yards away on the other side of the sendero and on the same side of the quail cut I was on.  He was hunting the same old buck and was approaching him the same way.  We looked at me, called me a rotten bastard and asked me not to talk about that buck so everyone else wouldn't try the same thing.  If either one of us would have torched off a shot it would have been just a bit hair raising for the other guy.

We never got that buck.  He was too smart for us.

/csb

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 7:59 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’ve been watching this big one-antlered fellow for a couple years now.  I found his shed 3 years ago, so he’s been this way for at least 4 years.  Must have been injured when he was young.  In the pics this week and through binoculars it looks like the non-antlered side has some growth coming out of it.  Pics aren’t good enough quality to really tell.  I’d love to have him on a mount but really don’t want to shoot him.  He brings all the youngsters out in the morning to the feeder until the mamas show up.   Anyone have one like this before?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks like a pedicle injury or defect rather than a leg injury on the opposite side.  A leg injury will deform the antler, but it will still grow.  A bad pedicle will restrict or eliminate growth entirely.  Shame...looks like he has some good genetics working.  Good news is that he is likely still breeding so you're getting that benefit of him there as opposed to him being on the wall.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Looks like a pedicle injury or defect rather than a leg injury on the opposite side.  A leg injury will deform the antler, but it will still grow.  A bad pedicle will restrict or eliminate growth entirely.  Shame...looks like he has some good genetics working.  Good news is that he is likely still breeding so you're getting that benefit of him there as opposed to him being on the wall.

Yeah you are probably right.  This was the article I read on antler deformities when I first saw him 2 years ago. Never had given it much thought (how deformities happen) before then.

https://extension2.missouri.edu/g9486

3 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

FIL invited me out to his lease in Mertzon, TX over Veteran's Day weekend.  Can't wait.  I've been so busy with work and family that I haven't been able to go hunt in over a decade.  Nice to get back in the saddle.

Check your powder.