2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

It doesn’t matter what I plan to order when I pull up to a Chicken Express. I always wind up ordering gizzards. 

Yeah. We were trying to make time, and they didn’t have any gizzards ready.
If you don’t put their hot serendipity seasoning on everything in the box then I’m not sure what you’re doing with your life.

That you even contemplated the possibility that I didn’t do so offends me, and I may have to challenge you to a duel to defend my honor. Okra farts at 10 paces.

Any luck this morning?  Pretty slow here.  But the weather is glorious.  Animals have been real nocturnal on the game cams.  And then coming back out in middle of day.  Have some work to do on the ranch so I’m about to get out of the stand.  Will try and creep up if something decent or a pig shows up on my cell phone game cam app.  God I love these things.  Can’t believe I waited this long.  

Heart shot. She ran 70 yards, though. But we’ve got her.

Nahh. He shoots while I glass. The way she jumped, I couldn’t tell if he hit her. But got to the spot, and there was plenty of blood, so we knew she’d gone down. She wasn’t far from where I lost sight of her behind a mesquite tree.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nahh. He shoots while I glass. The way she jumped, I couldn’t tell if he hit her. But got to the spot, and there was plenty of blood, so we knew she’d gone down. She wasn’t far from where I lost sight of her behind a mesquite tree.

Awesome. Now go take that shit.

the deer have been in rut since early October. The big dudes are content with the acorns and waiting out does to come into heat.

Look for dense cover with plenty of oaks available and dont allow the wind to bust yourself. The big guns wont go too far until the acorns go bad or run out. Lot of times they are hiding out watching you while you dont even know it. Grunt calls can pull them out of their cover briefly.

The boy stayed back at the house enjoying his nap. I’ll try to get us another doe or a cull. We passed up a good cull this morning - mature 8 with a wide spread...well, I thought he was an 8. For a good look, and realized he had zero brow tines.

For now, a beverage in the sunshine.

98938ff92dc7ec405d4039dfb6fe0528.jpg

• Like 2

Rut is in full effect in Dripping Springs.  I've seen more bucks coming out of the woodwork in the last week than I have all year.  Saw six different mature bucks on my way home Wednesday night.  Hadn't seen a single mature buck in that area in weeks.
I went for a run yesterday evening with my son in his jogging stroller and my yellow lab.  We had two decent bucks chasing a hot doe through one of our neighbor's pasture.  They couldn't have cared less that me, my son and my dog were watching.  Probably 120 yds from the road.  Nose to the ground, right on her tail.  
You & I must be taking the same roads as I have seen prob. 6 quality bucks in my 5p or later drives.

Doesn't hurt that I have a high end light bar on my truck that I run on the back roads & can see them @ a decent distance.

Some nights, it's like you're playing that hunting arcade game.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The boy and I popped our two doe this morning, down past Encinal.  First time ever hunting in S.Texas.  These deer are huge.  Gonna spend the rest of the weekend hunt relaxing and taking pics.  Life is good.
South texas deer are huge? Might I ask what state or area is your comparison?

39 minutes ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, freyguy said:
The boy and I popped our two doe this morning, down past Encinal.  First time ever hunting in S.Texas.  These deer are huge.  Gonna spend the rest of the weekend hunt relaxing and taking pics.  Life is good.

South texas deer are huge? Might I ask what state or area is your comparison?

Central Tx likely.  Last one I hung up down there was a touch over 250# on a scale. 260-ish iirc (buck). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

Yep, I've only ever hunted the hill country before all this.  So a 118lb doe was a shocker to me.  🤣🤣

I’ve hunted south Texas my entire life.  I think of the hundreds of doe I’ve killed in south Texas, where we weigh every one, I had maybe three that weighed over 90 pounds field dressed. 

I went hunting in the panhandle area and killed two doe that each weighed 95 in one weekend.  

Northern deer have more body weight.  

• Like 1

Yep, I've only ever hunted the hill country before all this.  So a 118lb doe was a shocker to me. 
Pretty funny.

I was actually duck hunting in Illinois 10 years ago, in Pike County. Talked to a buddy and he laughed and said "let me get this straight...you are duck hunting, in Pike County, during the rut?"

Me and another guy went running around each afternoon on backroads looking for deer. Holy hell they are HUGE up there.

We’re north of town. Just SE of Hagansport off 37. CR 2120 and CR 2110.

Gotcha. Yall been over to Steve Os pizza or ML Edwards in the square yet? Good eats.

On edit: ML Edwards has a dish called Tuna Tower. Seared tuna with white rice, avocado, a spicy mayo based sauce, topped with slices or fresh jalapenos. It is outstanding.

• Like 1

Yes to Steve O’s but mostly on Sundays a few years back. They are no longer open on Sundays for some reason. They let us hang in the bar a few years ago watching the Cowboys game after close. We tipped them well for doing so.
We try not to come into town much once we are out. Normally the smoker gets going and the drinks and games are flowing so no real reason to.

I wonder if the Dairy Mart still has a smoking section that is really no different than them Non Smoking section.

• Like 1

Anyone ever keep the neck meat?  I’ve heard it’s good.  If so, how do you cook it?

I usually just keep hind quarters, tenderloins and straps.  I grill the tenders and straps and have everything else ground up for use in chili or spaghetti sauce.  

But I’d like to start keeping neck meat.  Here it’s good. 

I don’t keep shoulders.  I almost always blow both out.  

1 hour ago, thestud said:

Just for clarification, I’m at work today. Rat bastards just sent me this a few minutes ago.

Sorry man, I figured that when I saw your caption. 

49 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Anyone ever keep the neck meat?  I’ve heard it’s good.  If so, how do you cook it?

Goes into my sausage pile.  But most everything does for me, anyhow.  

19 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Man that could tempt a man with a crossbow.  

A taser, and a plastic bag to put over his head.  I’d pay to see a video of that.  That deer could fuck somebody up normally, just think what he’d do if you juiced him with electricity.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 11/1/2019 at 11:38 PM, Both Tacos said:
On 11/1/2019 at 2:59 PM, Speedtrucker said:
Quick question, what does this look like it came from?

It was the only scat I couldn’t figure out.

I’m thinking raccoon or coyote?

d47aacd87c8cf2c42ce2ac40d176deb4.jpg

Looks like raccoon.

Yep.  Raccoon.  Can tell from the undigested berries/seeds.  

On 11/3/2019 at 9:15 AM, Revolution512 said:

If I mess with neck meat it’s usually ground into sausage or chili meat

Last year, I made a point to save a neck from the buck the boy shot.  I slow roasted it, for shredding/tacos.  It was okay.  I think it would have turned out better had I finished it the way my aunt used to: roast venison, shred it, then crisp fry it with onions, tomatoes, and peppers (add tomatoes at the end to make a little juice/sauce).  Put that on little tortillas, eat about a hunnert of em.

I didn't save a lot of the neck meat on the doe the boy shot this year.  I cut out the backstraps and tenders, am turning the rest into 1) pan sausage, 2) summer sausage, 3) chili grind, 4) burger grind.

I'm hoping to get another deer later this season, will save backstraps and tenders, then maybe turn some more into stew meat and roasts (to do the shredded taco thing), then maybe some more sausage and chili grind (man, I love venison chili).

4 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Anyone have some info. on an axis hunt day lease?  I hunt up by Abilene (hence nada Axis) but want to try some Axis meat this year.  

I can’t help you if you are looking for the 5* treatment type resort ranches, but there are lots of axis hunts on Craigslist for does and culls. I saw some recently.

4 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Anyone have some info. on an axis hunt day lease?  I hunt up by Abilene (hence nada Axis) but want to try some Axis meat this year.  

A couple of weeks ago I ran across what looked like 5 axis that all met a semi or something large between Harper and I-10 on 290. It was an incredible bloodbath. Other than that tidbit, I got nothing.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I didn't save a lot of the neck meat on the doe the boy shot this year.  I cut out the backstraps and tenders, am turning the rest into 1) pan sausage, 2) summer sausage, 3) chili grind, 4) burger grind.

1) dried sausage 2) dried sausage 3) dried sausage ...

*my wife doesn’t care for venison and dried sausage is great for road trips/fishing. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I can’t help you if you are looking for the 5* treatment type resort ranches, but there are lots of axis hunts on Craigslist for does and culls. I saw some recently.

No 5*.  Just a good place to pop an Axis doe.  I’ve seen some of the craigslist posts but some of the ones I’ve seen look like one of those 100 acre pens where they’ve got a mix of malnourished animals.  The craigslist ads I saw didn’t inspire confidence.

Looking for something out by Menard, Junction, etc.. that has wild, healthy animals - probably post season Jan-Feb. timeframe, so plenty of time to look around.  Everybody I’ve talked with raves about how good Axis taste, so the fat bastard in me is intrigued.

It’s is absolutely excellent fare. I’m not familiar with any of those places, just noticed them in there. Will say an old roommate of mine guided on one of those exotic outfits in Mason.  Each pasture was pretty much segregated, although healthy in size (250 Ac each)   Some of the animals, axis in particular, don’t jive with others. Axis will beat the shit out of a whitetail.  That place was expensive af. I would not pay what many many people lined up to pay. To each their own, tho.