2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

I've turned my feeders off until the acorns finally stop dropping. we are still covered up in Irion and Menard Co. Maybe turn them back on after thanksgiving. Corn and pellets just litter the ground. 

the matures still are localized and haven't begun to cover big distance for that snatch. Young dudes are harassing anything that moves. I watched a 2.5 yr old buck run a button buck for several hours Friday morning. I assume once the acorns finally sour or run out the mature bucks will really begin to move all over..

Deer are fat as heck right now, 4.5 yr olds look like 6 yr old deer. By mid December the matures will start to slim up considerably and will make it difficult to judge age on hoof.

8 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

If he is on a low fence place he will get shot.

I have a ten on my wall that is that brute's twin.  I played cat/mouse with him for the better part of two years.  For our area, he's a big boy.  And because he's an a-hole...and to spite me.  He gave up the ghost in the biggest pear patch he could find.  Getting him out was a royal pain (literally).  

Living vicariously through our hunters these days.  Send a pic yesterday of an old 9-pt with a few broken tines.  Been scrapping.  BIG for our place.  I was so happy because it's the younger brother.  His first buck killed with a bow.  

And true to form, he ran, found the nearest stock tank, and they found him floating out in the middle as the sun came up.  Had to grab our little aluminum boat and row out, tie him off, and drag him back with the 4-wheeler.

Never a dull moment.  Hammered a bunch of ducks as well.  I'm jealous.  

17 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Every rancher and ranch hand I know in South Texas pretty much will shoot stray dogs on sight.

We get neighbors dogs on our place.  I don't think they hurt anything so they get a pass.  Not that I could shoot a dog anyhow.

There's a pair of dogs who live near our farm in Richmond. They have tags so they belong to someone - but none of the immediate neighbors - so they're walking a long way up and down the highway wherever they are coming from. 

I ran them off a couple of times from looking at my chickens and growling from outside the coop. I'm sure if they could find an opening to get inside they would and they'd kill every one. 

Last time I saw them was over the summer and I told my wife that I'd shoot them on sight and  be within my rights since they are "menacing" livestock (or whatever word the law uses).

And I'd definitely do it on the down low and never tell a soul after I did it. 

As a kid I remember my aunt (who still raises quarter horses to this day) working a young mare.  Mare's a handful by herself, then a feral dog comes up, freaks this horse out, growls a little.  Aunt tells me to hold the lead-line (we were lunging this horse), goes to the truck.  Grabs a 22.  Walks up this dog, drills it between the eyes, goes back to working this horse.

To Sacks point, ranchers and livestock people.  Do.  Not.  Play when it comes to their livelihood.  Ranching is hard enough as it is.  

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 6:14 AM, deadshank said:

Cactus buck.  Haven't seen one of those in a while.  Relatively uncommon.  Testicular trauma can be a bitch. 

Depending on the county it may also be toxic castration instead of trauma.

I've talked about it before on this thread I think but there are multiple counties where some fawns get chemically castrated due to eating a certain plant that is native to granite outcroppings. They become steers and stay in various forms of velvet - are extremely timid around other bucks to low T-counts and are nothing more than eating machines.

Very common in Mason, Llano, etc. depending on rainfall, when the plant blooms, and when the fawns drop/wean.  Once they get some body weight, the toxicity level  is low/harmless, but if the stars align against you, you can get a large number of your bucks in a given year neutered shortly after being weaned.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Depending on the county it may also be toxic castration instead of trauma.

I've talked about it before on this thread I think but there are multiple counties where some fawns get chemically castrated due to eating a certain plant that is native to granite outcroppings. They become steers and stay in various forms of velvet - are extremely timid around other bucks to low T-counts and are nothing more than eating machines.

Very common in Mason, Llano, etc. depending on rainfall, when the plant blooms, and when the fawns drop/wean.  Once they get some body weight, the toxicity level  is low/harmless, but if the stars align against you, you can get a large number of your bucks in a given year neutered shortly after being weaned.

And all along I thought toxic castration was something to do with marrying the wrong woman.  

Who knew????

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Was in that area this past weekend and was just talking about this. @Pescado_Rojo shot one on his family place when we were hunting together a few years ago. Very unique to that area.

We have at least 10 known velvet steers on camera now spread over a couple of thousand acres that we need to take this year.  That's after 3 were already shot during bow season.

We have a lot of exposed granite.

It is unique and can even vary by property within a given county.  The more granite outcroppings the more prevalent.  2-3 miles can mean the difference between them being very common or  non-existent.  And since the have no testosterone, they don't rut / roam and stick around where they were born.

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

We have at least 10 known velvet steers on camera now spread over a couple of thousand acres that we need to take this year.  That's after 3 were already shot during bow season.

We have a lot of exposed granite.

It is unique and can even vary by property within a given county.  The more granite outcroppings the more prevalent.  2-3 miles can mean the difference between them being very common or  non-existent.  And since the have no testosterone, they don't rut / roam and stick around where they were born.

It's discussed on pages 3 and 4 of this TPWD doc. 

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_lf_w7000_1683_07_15.pdf

11 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

As a kid I remember my aunt (who still raises quarter horses to this day) working a young mare.  Mare's a handful by herself, then a feral dog comes up, freaks this horse out, growls a little.  Aunt tells me to hold the lead-line (we were lunging this horse), goes to the truck.  Grabs a 22.  Walks up this dog, drills it between the eyes, goes back to working this horse.

To Sacks point, ranchers and livestock people.  Do.  Not.  Play when it comes to their livelihood.  Ranching is hard enough as it is.  

Grandpa always said that there are two kinds of animals: animals that make you money and animals that screw with the animals that make you money. 

Sounds like our families would have got along!

• Like 1

Anybody have any ideas for getting pigs to go into a corral trap? I put it in my wife's vegetable garden where they've been rooting around and tearing up the beds.

They'll eat anything I leave next to the trap and just outside the door but they absolutely will not eat anything on the inside.  Doors are open and the trap isn't set. I'm just trying to get them to go in there regularly first and it's not working at all. 

9 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Anybody have any ideas for getting pigs to go into a corral trap? I put it in my wife's vegetable garden where they've been rooting around and tearing up the beds.

They'll eat anything I leave next to the trap and just outside the door but they absolutely will not eat anything on the inside.  Doors are open and the trap isn't set. I'm just trying to get them to go in there regularly first and it's not working at all. 

They're smart.  Trap might work a few times, but after that, you have to move it and change things up.  Eliminate as much as you can from around the trap (source of food) and keep baiting in.  As stated, we've sunk a creosote covered RR tie as a scratching post.  Corn soaked in kool-aid, etc.  

On 11/20/2019 at 8:41 AM, Lat22 said:

We get neighbors dogs on our place.  I don't think they hurt anything so they get a pass.  Not that I could shoot a dog anyhow.

Everybody I know talks about shooting dogs, but I've never known anybody who follows up. We had a bad dog problem on my family's place years ago. People used to run their dogs all the time and just leave the ones who didn't find the truck. 

I was fourteen or so and told my dad I would start shooting dogs. I was hunting a greenfield in a stand when what looked like some sort of coon hound started sniffing around the far end of the field. I put my scope on him to shoot him and I swear to God he looked right at me and started panting and wagging his tail. He ran over and circled around my stand a few times and tried to climb up because he was so excited to see somebody. I shot a doe out of the field later that day and when my dad picked me up the dog was sitting next to me wagging his tail. 

I did not shoot the dog.

Everybody I know talks about shooting dogs, but I've never known anybody who follows up. We had a bad dog problem on my family's place years ago. People used to run their dogs all the time and just leave the ones who didn't find the truck. 
I was fourteen or so and told my dad I would start shooting dogs. I was hunting a greenfield in a stand when what looked like some sort of coon hound started sniffing around the far end of the field. I put my scope on him to shoot him and I swear to God he looked right at me and started panting and wagging his tail. He ran over and circled around my stand a few times and tried to climb up because he was so excited to see somebody. I shot a doe out of the field later that day and when my dad picked me up the dog was sitting next to me wagging his tail. 
I did not shoot the dog.
Pussy.
  • Like 3