2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

Everybody I know talks about shooting dogs, but I've never known anybody who follows up. We had a bad dog problem on my family's place years ago. People used to run their dogs all the time and just leave the ones who didn't find the truck. 
I was fourteen or so and told my dad I would start shooting dogs. I was hunting a greenfield in a stand when what looked like some sort of coon hound started sniffing around the far end of the field. I put my scope on him to shoot him and I swear to God he looked right at me and started panting and wagging his tail. He ran over and circled around my stand a few times and tried to climb up because he was so excited to see somebody. I shot a doe out of the field later that day and when my dad picked me up the dog was sitting next to me wagging his tail. 
I did not shoot the dog.

So our home and land is down in Hutchins, right off the trinity and near the old gravel/clay quarry.

Back in the late 80s it got bad because people started to abandon their dogs at the trinity bridge on dowdy ferry... which basically isn’t too far from our land(which we don’t own anymore) it got really bad about 15 years ago and apparently some spca or pet group has taken to trying to rescue the dogs.

So feral dogs were a big problem, my pops basically had one rule for me growing up. If I was going out to play on the property, I had to have my .22lr with me. I’d run across dogs often and usually they’d run off into the woods. Only once did I have to put down a dog. He bowed up blocking the path from the back pasture to the front, he started bristling, bared his teeth and finally made a move towards my buddy and me.

3 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

So our home and land is down in Hutchins, right off the trinity and near the old gravel/clay quarry.

Back in the late 80s it got bad because people started to abandon their dogs at the trinity bridge on dowdy ferry... which basically isn’t too far from our land(which we don’t own anymore) it got really bad about 15 years ago and apparently some spca or pet group has taken to trying to rescue the dogs.

So feral dogs were a big problem, my pops basically had one rule for me growing up. If I was going out to play on the property, I had to have my .22lr with me. I’d run across dogs often and usually they’d run off into the woods. Only once did I have to put down a dog. He bowed up blocking the path from the back pasture to the front, he started bristling, bared his teeth and finally made a move towards my buddy and me.

Completely different situation. But I just couldn't put a .270 between the eyes of Sounder the world's friendliest dog.

2 hours ago, cabowabo said:
2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:
Everybody I know talks about shooting dogs, but I've never known anybody who follows up. We had a bad dog problem on my family's place years ago. People used to run their dogs all the time and just leave the ones who didn't find the truck. 
I was fourteen or so and told my dad I would start shooting dogs. I was hunting a greenfield in a stand when what looked like some sort of coon hound started sniffing around the far end of the field. I put my scope on him to shoot him and I swear to God he looked right at me and started panting and wagging his tail. He ran over and circled around my stand a few times and tried to climb up because he was so excited to see somebody. I shot a doe out of the field later that day and when my dad picked me up the dog was sitting next to me wagging his tail. 
I did not shoot the dog.

Pussy.

A cat would have definitely taken out the dog if it had a deer rifle. All while smiling back at it.

3 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

I did not shoot the dog.

Our ranch manager shoots 2-3 per year.  He gives zero fucks.  I have seen him do it.  We have a big enough place where these are feral dogs.  Not some neighbor's dog with a collar that wandered off (I would not do that unless the dog was a persistent problem).  

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Our ranch manager shoots 2-3 per year.  He gives zero fucks.  I have seen him do it.  We have a big enough place where these are feral dogs.  Not some neighbor's dog with a collar that wandered off (I would not do that unless the dog was a persistent problem).  

Friend of mine’s father runs cattle up in NE TX, near Hooks.  He ranches for a living. He lost a couple calves to what he thought was dogs, but maybe yotes. He had seen dogs in the area etc, so he went to the owners. They politely told him to fuck off, and he warned them that he would shoot them if he ever caught them in the act. Fast forward a week or so, and he catches them half ass in the act (they were over a carcass eating, cant remember if he witnessed the killing).  Ranch rifle got 4 of them.  Took their collars off and left the collars on the neighbors porch.  He has pet dogs, and you could tell it brought him no joy, but when it’s your living...

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

Feral cats are the worst, quail and songbird eating SOBs ever.  Reminds me of the time we had a lease in northwest Texas and a feral cat pissed in my buddy’s truck.  We were rolling back in from the deer stands on the make when we saw the cat trot off from under his truck.  My buddy slams on the brakes and lays his 300 win mag across the rest.  Fluffy disappeared in a red cloud.

• Like 1

Looks like you should have taken care if ALL those dogs because it sounds like my land is pretty close to where yours was and I've got a current problem with a pack of digs running the property at night. Got them on camera running deer, which I spend lots of time, energy and money managing. I'm to sure hell not going to let some dogs run off a deer herd from there bedding areas.
Unfortunately they are back home down the street during the day and only come around in the middle of the night. Come this spring when we pig hunt at night, if they are out there they will get shot.

Back in school, one of my wildlife professors said they have done studies where they let dogs chase radio collared deer and they return back to their home range after the dogs quit running them. However, I don't know the details of the study. If it is just an occasional thing it is probably just an annoyance, but if there is constant pressure it could quite possibly push them out of the area. At any rate, it would affect their behavior if it is regular at all. So I wouldn't get too worked up about it if you just occasionally see a dog out there.

Shooting lost / stray hounds is one thing. Those dogs I posted are pit bulls, they're chiseled with muscles and sport heads in the shape of shoe boxes. In some other pics you can tell that at least one of the males is intact.

They're also in a pack which (IMHO) makes them more dangerous.

They're escapees from nearby where they were undoubtedly used to guard dope operations and/or engage in organized fights (both very common in the area). The terrain also allows them to get within a few yards of a hunter without being seen. If they're quiet (not sure that they are) they could be on your throat before you got to the sights of a firearm.

Not pissed about them running deer. Coyotes have been and will be doing that forever. Those dogs are dangerous. They don't belong there unlike a snake, bear or a yellow jacket nest.

Fuck whoever got them there. Will be a two man spot for maintenance going forward and probably a two gun stand similar to AR pic that was posted above.

Good day. Took the boy out for first time. He got a big buck adrenaline rush right at first light when a big 8 pt stepped out right in front of the blind.  Pardoned that one to go get after the does.  Waited out a couple does and decided to take out this stupid looking 3 pt spike. On drive home got a call from the processor to swing by and pick up some goods. Didn't even have to use my AK. 

714-AFCEB-CC3-D-423-B-99-A9-F0-D5252-D6-

9-CF05-CE4-30-A1-48-DE-9-E56-FCFD6-BAEB0

• Like 1

What processor do you use?  Weird looking liver.  Looks like a bubble in the first pic.  After looking it up that’s probably a tapeworm cyst (hydatid cyst).  Haven’t had a chance to read up on it yet.  

As long as you don’t eat any rare bone-in backstrap steaks rubbed with coffee and cumin, you should be fine. Otherwise watch your cornhole.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

What processor do you use?  Weird looking liver.  Looks like a bubble in the first pic.  

4th street market in Blanco if I don’t do it myself. I think I maybe overdid the sausage. Should have mixed a little dried sausage in there. 

6 hours ago, davidg said:

Cajun. I think you posted that pic and story on the other site but was that near what is now the BlackGap?

BlackGap is the crappily black shaded part I did.  To the west is our ranch.  Well, part of it...

Image%2011-23-19%20at%207.18%20PM_zpsp66

Edited by Cajun

15 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

After looking it up that’s probably a tapeworm cyst (hydatid cyst).  Haven’t had a chance to read up on it yet.  

Yeah, that's what google gave me back too. Apparently as long as my dog doesn't eat the liver we are good. Some coyote near the Medina river may have some problems though.

15 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

As long as you don’t eat any rare bone-in backstrap steaks rubbed with coffee and cumin, you should be fine. Otherwise watch your cornhole.  

Furk. 

5 hours ago, davidg said:

That what I was thinking. Without doxxing you, it seemed like I remembered that y’all were related to matriarch that is know in that area. I have a couple of her books.

It's cool, I'm pretty much doxxed around these parts.  You're talking about Hallie Stillwell, my great grandmother.

"How Come It's Called That?" and "I'll Gather My Geese" would probably be the books you're referring to I'd guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cajun said:

Another of my pal's daughter and one that didn't get away...

14937430_10208634421352679_2426407651830

Nice boots she's got there. 

If anybody in near the Longview/Tyler feels like helping a friend out, I'm trying to collect a few deer skins this year to try brain tanning some this spring when the weather starts getting warm. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Nice boots she's got there. 

Funny.  My progression thru the pic was:

1) son of a bitch look at that mass. This girl is ruined from normal hunting forever. 

2) that’s the best looking Chippewas I’ve ever seen.  Those can’t be off the shelf.  

That girl will never go on a "normal" hunt.

They have a game bioligist who lives on property, does consistent helicopter surveys, produces 100 page reports, and is paid well into the six figures just to keep genetics in sync year to year.

Oh, and yep, he's aggy.

I love it when he runs the numbers and informs my pal that a some "culls" need to be taken because that's when the invite comes...

08A84356-A35C-46CC-9921-98289F3DC075_zps

8357CAF4-4E37-49BE-BBAC-EC6FEFD961AA_zps

sc00b2c58301-1.jpg

sc004bff76.jpg

edited-image_zpsdutkt9hq.jpg

• Like 1