2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

On 11/25/2019 at 7:43 AM, Cajun said:

I love it when he runs the numbers and informs my pal that a some "culls" need to be taken because that's when the invite comes...

The only deer I ever had mounted was a cull from one of those invites.  From the moment you pull the trigger, you don't take a breath until you're back at camp, he pulls out his little mouth spreading device, and says "good cull".

• Like 2

^^Thats a long ass drive back to the “aging” station.

Kill a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 yr old buck (unless it’s a freak) and you instantly become the “Hello Newman” of whatever group is down there.

Of course you don’t have to suffer that long because you ain’t comin’ back.

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

^^Thats a long ass drive back to the “aging” station.

Kill a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 yr old buck (unless it’s a freak) and you instantly become the “Hello Newman” of whatever group is down there.

Of course you don’t have to suffer that long because you ain’t comin’ back.

Get one of those zoom lens you can clip to your iPhone camera.  Text him pics of what you see.  Let him make the call.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 7:19 PM, fattyflattie said:

Friend of mine’s father runs cattle up in NE TX, near Hooks.  He ranches for a living. He lost a couple calves to what he thought was dogs, but maybe yotes. He had seen dogs in the area etc, so he went to the owners. They politely told him to fuck off, and he warned them that he would shoot them if he ever caught them in the act. Fast forward a week or so, and he catches them half ass in the act (they were over a carcass eating, cant remember if he witnessed the killing).  Ranch rifle got 4 of them.  Took their collars off and left the collars on the neighbors porch.  He has pet dogs, and you could tell it brought him no joy, but when it’s your living...

That's a pretty quick ticket to jail in Texas unless you can prove they were chasing livestock. Why even bring the heat on yourself. Your friend should follow the SSS method ( shoot, shovel and shut up). Please note I run cattle in Henderson and Kaufman counties, so obviously I don't like dogs on my place. 

Just now, Errestaurants said:

That's a pretty quick ticket to jail in Texas unless you can prove they were chasing livestock. Why even bring the heat on yourself. Your friend should follow the SSS method ( shoot, shovel and shut up). Please note I run cattle in Henderson and Kaufman counties, so obviously I don't like dogs on my place. 

Well unfortunately my friend has passed, and it’s very unlikely I’ll see his father again to pass it along.  When he shot them, they were eating a fresh dead calf. I’m not certain who the sheriff would side with, but I’m guessing the meth head neighbors wouldn’t want to involve the law. I don’t know if the dogs were let lay or buried or what.  Just that their collars were returned. But I agree, probably a bit of frustration there after losing several calves to them and could have been handled better.  Old man played ball for aggy but graduated UT.  Lives in New Boston. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Get one of those zoom lens you can clip to your iPhone camera.  Text him pics of what you see.  Let him make the call.

Yep. Most folks who are in to deer management think they can age a deer on the hoof, but in reality it ain't that easy. If the deer looks like he should meet the requirements while he is walking around then that should be good enough. Benefit of the doubt should go to the hunter if he is trying to do things right. 

That said, I'm not really a fan of culling. Unless you are running a deer breeding operation and know exactly which bucks are breeding which does you can't really influence genetics in a measurable way. The other management stuff that goes along with that is most likely much more important.

13 hours ago, deadshank said:

What about Floridians?

Hell, I had over a 1/4 century living in Broward County - I've got a double Doctorate in "Florida Man" (& "Woman"), so I can certainly handle that level of idiocy.

...But it's 3 mortar "send it" shots away from full agroid.

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yep. Most folks who are in to deer management think they can age a deer on the hoof, but in reality it ain't that easy. If the deer looks like he should meet the requirements while he is walking around then that should be good enough. Benefit of the doubt should go to the hunter if he is trying to do things right. 

That said, I'm not really a fan of culling. Unless you are running a deer breeding operation and know exactly which bucks are breeding which does you can't really influence genetics in a measurable way. The other management stuff that goes along with that is most likely much more important.

We cull. Idea being we need to kill a certain amount of deer each year to keep population in check.  So we take the deer with the inferior horns in each age class.  I have seen and taken enough to know what a cull is.  

• Like 3

We supplemental feed and do food plots.  If you have the money to really, really step up feed, then don’t cull at all and let your deer get to 8 or so before killing.  You will get monsters.  That’s what those Holden Roofing guys do and their success has been amazing.  Their feed bill must be astronomical.  

A lot of crappy deer we would shoot at 3 would be nice trophies if we were willing to drop an extra $600k a year on protein.  

• Like 1

We supplemental feed and do food plots.  If you have the money to really, really step up feed, then don’t cull at all and let your deer get to 8 or so before killing.  You will get monsters.  That’s what those Holden Roofing guys do and their success has been amazing.  Their feed bill must be astronomical.  
A lot of crappy deer we would shoot at 3 would be nice trophies if we were willing to drop an extra $600k a year on protein.  

Farming . . .
  • Like 1

Read is the kind of guy who revels mostly in the sport and the gear. He messes around with crossbows handed down by his dad and has been shooting squirrels in his yard with a pellet gun, amassing a freezer-full for stew later this fall.

the author writes about  bubbas, “shooters’ and forging a new Texas hunter yet then then writes about one of his subjects clearly violating game laws by shooting squirrels out of season and presumably inside the city limits. 

Not smart 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

That’s what those Holden Roofing guys do and their success has been amazing.

Well, that and they’ve managed the same 15k acres for the last 20 something years, iirc.  May even be more land than that, I recall it was a shitload of dirt.  I know they have family pastures, and then the “lease”, all part of the NC ranch.  

13 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Their feed bill must be astronomical

I bet it was before they branded and started selling their formula. I recall people tripping over themselves to buy it when they released it, and I’m sure that subsidizes a lot of it now.  Wonder what his diesel bill is as well. Chasing Swordfish for 3-4 months straight every summer has to add up to a pretty penny. 

Read is the kind of guy who revels mostly in the sport and the gear. He messes around with crossbows handed down by his dad and has been shooting squirrels in his yard with a pellet gun, amassing a freezer-full for stew later this fall.
the author writes about  bubbas, “shooters’ and forging a new Texas hunter yet then then writes about one of his subjects clearly violating game laws by shooting squirrels out of season and presumably inside the city limits. 
Not smart 
No season.

Other than possible city regs, that's a "go get 'em" situation.

Most people in your average subdivision could whack one with a quality Gamo.e08bd54ef292a122a1dd270d9108babe.jpge7f2ab858156cf387cfcdd07f9cd6337.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, deadshank said:

Not smart 

I didn't see a reference to a specific county but in most counties in Texas outside of the far eastern counties there is no closed season and you can shoot them all year long.

But it's almost always illegal to shoot them in the city limits.

Here in Sugar Land I recently learned that it's not illegal to shoot pellet or BB guns on your own property but it is illegal for the projectile to leave your property without the adjoining property owner's permission.

Presumably that means you can't shoot into the trees along the street since the city owns the street, but if your neighbors say it's OK, or you have a proper backstop behind the squirrel, you probably could get away with shooting them in the backyard. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Also, that article is subtitled "Taking hunting away from Ted Nugent" and there is a quote later in the article that repeats the phrase, but no with explanation. 

You might not like Ted Nugent's politics but what does that have to do with hunting? He's an outspoken hunter and everything I've ever seen about him hunting is that he's responsible and focuses on conservationism. 

Seems kind of gratuitous for no real reason. Being a responsible hunter who eats what he kills should be above politics. 

/No CR

7 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

No season.

Other than possible city regs, that's a "go get 'em" situation.

Most people in your average subdivision could whack one with a quality Gamo.e08bd54ef292a122a1dd270d9108babe.jpge7f2ab858156cf387cfcdd07f9cd6337.jpg

208 of 254 Texas counties have squirrel seasons. But apparently there are “year round seasons” in many of those counties not in East Texas where there is a definitive “season.”   I wonder which 46 counties don’t have a season at all.   Thanks for being difficult TPWD. 

Edited by deadshank

208 of 254 Texas counties have squirrel seasons. But apparently there are “year round seasons” in many of those counties not in East Texas where there is a definitive “season.”   I wonder which 46 counties don’t have a season at all.   Thanks for being difficult TPWD. 
Don't EVEN get me started on the stupidity on how the "slot" rule is written for fishing.

Ex: "No fish under 12" can be retained. No fish in the slot limit of 12" to 18" can be retained."

Um... why not just say "Nothing under 18" " & be done with it?

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Speaking of squirrels, this young buck did not seem to understand this morning that the leaves are finally off the trees in my pecan grove and the scope is still sighted in just fine on my 22.   It's much harder to hide now. 

First of many until the trees leaf start to leaf out again in March.

IMG_3508.jpg.01788db2ad5d3dc0dd9238b0f0fa5bd0.jpg

Rocky!!!!!

If you don't have a cell camera to check out what's moving around while you aren't at your land, I highly recommend it.

I have the Cuddelink system that can have up to 16 (going to 24) all on one system and under one cell plan.

I have 2 remote cameras that link up to the cell home camera which sends me the pictures.

f7aa760d3cdd8c7b75d947d1f3b57e65.jpga07b40c4d54d2eb777225720ddc9c590.jpgfedb92611a157dd76612d29759322b3a.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/1/2019 at 9:51 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Speaking of squirrels, this young buck did not seem to understand this morning that the leaves are finally off the trees in my pecan grove and the scope is still sighted in just fine on my 22.   It's much harder to hide now. 

First of many until the trees leaf start to leaf out again in March.

IMG_3508.jpg.01788db2ad5d3dc0dd9238b0f0fa5bd0.jpg

giphy.gif

If you don't have a cell camera to check out what's moving around while you aren't at your land, I highly recommend it.
I have the Cuddelink system that can have up to 16 (going to 24) all on one system and under one cell plan.
I have 2 remote cameras that link up to the cell home camera which sends me the pictures.

f7aa760d3cdd8c7b75d947d1f3b57e65.jpga07b40c4d54d2eb777225720ddc9c590.jpgfedb92611a157dd76612d29759322b3a.jpg

Sitting in Houston 265 miles from camera and just had this sent to me. Lots of fun.
fb6e3ca9391b83c2023bfb73ebd0c4cb.jpg
  • Like 3

On 12/2/2019 at 1:15 PM, bigshark88 said:

We are fighting a Spy Point system right now. Wouldn't recommend the brand at this point.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:38 PM, Lat22 said:

We deployed two a couple of weeks ago and they seem to be working fine for us. 

Mine worked well for a couple months, now neither will transmit.  They still take photos, but you have to pull the cards.  Going to return them when the season is done.