2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

Mine worked well for a couple months, now neither will transmit.  They still take photos, but you have to pull the cards.  Going to return them when the season is done.
I heard the Sky Points were hit and miss. That's one of the reasons I went with a little more expensive brand.

I thought I posted it here but if you buy the 2 pack Cuddelink J cameras (remote cameras), you get a their K cell camera (home camera) for FREE when you get the one year cell plan.
Basically for $480, you get 3 cameras that work all on one system and combined pics that includes the one year plan.
I know Farmstead Outdoors still has some in stock. It was a Black Friday Deal and it is only a limited quantity of those 2 packs made up at the $299 price, rather than $375.

https://farmsteadoutdoors.com/product/cuddeback-cuddelink-2camera-starter-kit-11476/ 

Edited by Both Tacos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:

I thought I posted it here but if you buy the 2 pack Cuddelink J cameras (remote cameras), you get a their K cell camera (home camera) for FREE when you get the one year cell plan.
Basically for $480, you get 3 cameras that work all on one system and combined pics that includes the one year plan.
I know Farmstead Outdoors still has some in stock. It was a Black Friday Deal and it is only a limited quantity of those 2 packs made up at the $299 price, rather than $375.

https://farmsteadoutdoors.com/product/cuddeback-cuddelink-2camera-starter-kit-11476/ 

I know better than to fool with a cheap camera (or feeder).  Someone gave me a spy point.  So I bought another since it didn’t cost more money to add it to the plan.  Dumb move.  Taking both back to trade in. 

Anyone plan their hunts by the lunar phases? GW swears by it saying it’s the only way he hunts and has has much better success with it.

I don’t plan around it but I always see more movement during a new moon. Or after a cloudy night.

9 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Anyone plan their hunts by the lunar phases? GW swears by it saying it’s the only way he hunts and has has much better success with it.

I don't plan around the lunar phases; however, I do use the iSolunar app for a general idea with regard to activity and have found that it is very accurate.  I was skeptical at first but when it said one of the major peaks was at 1:27 PM and I happened to be out working and noticed deer and other animals were running around like it was the end of the world I took it seriously. 

Its a free app with some other pretty cool features. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

If by "lunar phases" you mean in-state and out of state soccer tournaments....then yes.  Yes I do.

• Like 4

I live in the Clearlake/Seabrook area. Growing up in Lumberton/Silsbee area, there were a number of public hunting areas that we’d park essentially on the side of the road and go hunt squirrel and birds on (and occasionally deer). Am I going to be able to find anything like that here on the SE side of Houston?  If like to take the 7 year old squirrel hunting. 

8 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I live in the Clearlake/Seabrook area. Growing up in Lumberton/Silsbee area, there were a number of public hunting areas that we’d park essentially on the side of the road and go hunt squirrel and birds on (and occasionally deer). Am I going to be able to find anything like that here on the SE side of Houston?  If like to take the 7 year old squirrel hunting. 

For squirrel in your area, try Heartbreakers on I-45.

TPWD has a map inclusive of all public access hunting lands.  None are very close to CL/Seabrook.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Check out the Type II permit lands through TPWD. Also, see what Federal Management Areas are close to you that is wooded. 

7 hours ago, deadshank said:

For squirrel in your area, try Heartbreakers on I-45.

TPWD has a map inclusive of all public access hunting lands.  None are very close to CL/Seabrook.  

I actually started googling heartbreakers.  Thought that sounded like an odd name for a place to hunt.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

strip clubs on 45 made me think of the Ocean Cabaret, my buddy had a bachelor party there back around 97, the night before we rented a beach house in east and set up guided fishing trips.....being the trust officer holding everyones 20s, I picked out a stripper there, blond hair blue eyes, big tits, seemed too talented for that place, anyway she went by the cognomen "Dallas".... the things she did to the groom to be violated all sense of community standards in the area, and that's saying something for that location and I'm pretty sure he said at one point he licked her asshole....someone bought me a very large athletic black girl for an hour, I think that's where I got my taste for some "brown sugar" now and again....and then, best I can recall, someone blew a huge doobie in the restroom causing half the party to get booted from the club, prolly time to go anyway as the evening's events are as hazy in my memory now as they were the day after

I don't think it helped his hangover the next day when I incited the guide into running the boat thru a flock of grebes at wide open throttle and one popped up out of the water and hit him in the head

Edited by 4th and 5
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

strip clubs on 45 made me think of the Ocean Cabaret, my buddy had a bachelor party there back around 97, the night before we rented a beach house in east and set up guided fishing trips.....being the trust officer holding everyones 20s, I picked out a stripper there, blond hair blue eyes, big tits, seemed too talented for that place, anyway she went by the cognomen "Dallas".... the things she did to the groom to be violated all sense of community standards in the area, and that's saying something for that location and I'm pretty sure he said at one point he licked her asshole....someone bought me a very large athletic black girl for an hour, I think that's where I got my taste for some "brown sugar" now and again....and then, best I can recall, someone blew a huge doobie in the restroom causing half the party to get booted from the club, prolly time to go anyway as the evening's events are as hazy in my memory now as they were the day after
I don't think it helped his hangover the next day when I incited the guide into running the boat thru a flock of grebes at wide open throttle and one popped up out of the water and hit him in the head

Stories of stupid sketchy strip club adventures combined with fishing always get rep.

It’s one of my rules.

On 12/9/2019 at 7:20 AM, deadshank said:

I don't plan around the lunar phases; however, I do use the iSolunar app for a general idea with regard to activity and have found that it is very accurate.  I was skeptical at first but when it said one of the major peaks was at 1:27 PM and I happened to be out working and noticed deer and other animals were running around like it was the end of the world I took it seriously. 

Its a free app with some other pretty cool features. 

That app is pretty good for sure.  I'm in the same boat.  I don't necessarily plan around moon phases, but I pay attention to them when I'm headed out or when I'm on the fence about a trip.  For example, we have a full moon this Saturday.  I was thinking of running to the ranch for a quick trip Saturday, back home early Sunday.  When I was reminded of the moon phase, I decided to scrap it.  Doesn't help that my dad sat in a blind last night and didn't see much movement.  Rut still hasn't kicked off in Kimble Co from what we've seen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Well shit, I’m heading out this weekend so morning hunts might be rough.

However check this 11pt that was taken this past Sunday. One of the best ones I’ve seen in a while.

059c6b508500c466c36350a4c2d0b685.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great deer.  Where are you hunting?  I'm guessing San Saba county.

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Irion Country just west of San Angelo

God's country....

We're in Runnels/Coleman county.  Digging the rack, neck shot, and old-school Mossy Oak camo.  I still have a jacket in that same pattern which works well in that part of the country.  

4 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

That app is pretty good for sure.  I'm in the same boat.  I don't necessarily plan around moon phases, but I pay attention to them when I'm headed out or when I'm on the fence about a trip.  For example, we have a full moon this Saturday.  I was thinking of running to the ranch for a quick trip Saturday, back home early Sunday.  When I was reminded of the moon phase, I decided to scrap it.  Doesn't help that my dad sat in a blind last night and didn't see much movement.  Rut still hasn't kicked off in Kimble Co from what we've seen.

Yeh, if it's a full moon, with no cloud cover, I just go to the lease and sleep late, sometimes slip out to hunt from about 11 till 2. But usually do something else on a full moon weekend.

CHIEF

8 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

East kimble was last weekend. Thanksgiving week the little dudes were messing around then I went home and evidently last weekend was rolling. Fil got a good buck and now I am trying to get out of shit this weekend so I can go up, moon or no moon.

15 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Seems round two of the rut is in full swing in Mills County.  

It's about to be in full swing in Denton County this weekend after I get the steaks done and the bottle of wine I've been saving uncorked.  Just have to get the kids to bed early somehow....

I've taken kids, youth, dads, old men, girls and even a gentleman that was deaf. However, today was the first time I've ever had a person that was wheelchair bound. Luckily I could pull the Rhino right up to the water and they loaded him in a jon boat. Totted him over to what we call the small blind where they got him out of the boat and into a chair right up against the front rail.
This gentleman is a cousin of a couple of boys that help with brushing up the blinds that get to come out in exchange for their work and that their dad isn't into hunting. Since the first work day this year they have asked several times if it would be okay to bring their cousin out to hunt while he was in town for Christmas. They were certainly pumped about getting to show the place off that they put work into.
I was worried that with the full moon there weren't going to be a lot of ducks, which there weren't as many as I hope. Luckily there were enough for consistent action and they ended up with 23. 74a1eafe346a58c757092de62f3585e2.jpg93510d7453d6765b16234d5fc1043259.jpg

• Like 8