2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

Smoked them for about 3 hours at 150, then put them in a sous vide bath up to about 155, then left them to hang and dry overnight.   Probably a little overkill on the heat, but that’s how my buddy always does it.  Here’s the finished product vacuum sealed.

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Smoked them for about 3 hours at 150, then put them in a sous vide bath up to about 155, then left them to hang and dry overnight.   Probably a little overkill on the heat, but that’s how my buddy always does it.  Here’s the finished product vacuum sealed.

spacer.png

You using cure/pink salt in the grind?

5 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yes, the pink stuff.

Love the idea to use the sous vide bath to bring up to temp.  I use my sous vide all the time but never would have considered this application. May try to turn the roasts i have in the freezer into dried sausage.  

My understanding is that it is ok to defrost and refreeze meat if you change the structure of it.  That is, you shouldn't thaw and refreeze a steak, but if you thaw a big cut, mix it with some porky goodness and package it into a casing, you are ok to refreeze.  Not sure what the science is behind that, but I read it on the internet so it must be true. 

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Love the idea to use the sous vide bath to bring up to temp.  I use my sous vide all the time but never would have considered this application. May try to turn the roasts i have in the freezer into dried sausage.  

My understanding is that it is ok to defrost and refreeze meat if you change the structure of it.  That is, you shouldn't thaw and refreeze a steak, but if you thaw a big cut, mix it with some porky goodness and package it into a casing, you are ok to refreeze.  Not sure what the science is behind that, but I read it on the internet so it must be true. 

Yeah mine is in the freezer now.  We used half pork butt, half venison.  He swears by the sous vide and watching that part of it, it’s much easier to make sure you get the temp exactly right.  

Guga did a video comparing refreezes on steak, a single refreeze had very little effect on final taste/texture (though the actual defrost and freeze process did make a difference; you want slow, gradual defrost and freeze, not accelerated). Defrost in fridge, not in a water bath, certainly not in microwave, etc.

16 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

This is, uh, bad shit. The minute that there's a confirmed case of a human contracting CWD, the game is over. 

Until that point (if it ever happens), I wonder if baiting becomes illegal in the near future since that's one of the easiest ways for a local herd to spread it.  The public backlash from that would be severe, though.

1 hour ago, Noogman said:

This is, uh, bad shit. The minute that there's a confirmed case of a human contracting CWD, the game is over. 

Until that point (if it ever happens), I wonder if baiting becomes illegal in the near future since that's one of the easiest ways for a local herd to spread it.  The public backlash from that would be severe, though.

That's the direction I'd see things going - which would destroy this state's hunting like no other.  Think of the Hill Country.  All these mid-sized, high fenced ranches (600-1,500 acres) would be devastated (A natural reaction of a state with very limited public land).  I want to say the business of breeding and shipping penned animals is what facilitated this?  

For the area in question, wasn't it first hit with anthrax, and now this?  

Here you go: https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/diseases/cwd/

CWD in Texas

The first case of CWD in Texas was discovered in 2012 in free-ranging mule deer in the Hueco Mountains of far West Texas. The disease has since been detected in free-ranging mule deer, white-tailed deer, and elk in Dallam and Hartley counties, located in the northwest Panhandle.

The first case of CWD in Texas white-tailed deer was found in a Medina County deer-breeding facility in 2015 as a result of routine disease monitoring. Increased testing requirements resulted in the detection of CWD in 4 additional deer breeding facilities and two release sites adjacent to the CWD-positive deer breeding facilities. CWD was also detected in a free-ranging white-tailed deer in Medina County in 2017 — for details and chronology of CWD detections in Texas, see CWD Positives in Texas webpage.

With the discovery of CWD in a captive deer breeding facility in south-central Texas, the Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPW) Commission adopted comprehensive CWD Management Rules on June 20, 2016. Developed through a collaborative process that involved substantial stakeholder input, these rules address CWD management associated with permitting programs that authorize intensive deer management activities — for more information, read the Comprehensive CWD Management Rules PDF.

Additional rules regarding CWD monitoring zones and carcass movement restrictions were adopted by the TPW Commission on August 25, 2016. As new cases of CWD were discovered in additional captive deer breeding facilities as well as free-ranging deer and elk in 2016/2017, the TPW Commission adopted modifications to the rules pertaining to live-deer movements into, within, and out of CWD Containment Zones and Surveillance Zones. Both sets of rules are intended to reduce the chances of spreading CWD and increasing the chances of detecting and containing CWD in areas where it might be present.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 12:27 PM, BabaYaga said:

That's the direction I'd see things going - which would destroy this state's hunting like no other.  Think of the Hill Country.  All these mid-sized, high fenced ranches (600-1,500 acres) would be devastated (A natural reaction of a state with very limited public land).  I want to say the business of breeding and shipping penned animals is what facilitated this?  

For the area in question, wasn't it first hit with anthrax, and now this?  

Unfortunately. I starting going to a ranch in the NEC of Val Verde where it touches Sutton about three years ago. Bought 50 acres there August 2018. Whitetail, Axis, Aoudad sheep were plentiful. After June of this year the whitetail basically disappeared although axis herds are still around. Didn’t realize I was in the freaking Anthrax Triangle of Texas. And now CWD is just icing on the shit cake

Those things are one big muscle. Once I committed, there was absolutely no turning back. There’s a video of it that I don’t know how to post. For posterity, here’s me letting him go.

0eb0373108177c7acc91d27ed65c1a39.jpg

And then here he is staring through my soul from about eight feet out after I released him.

579e289aa7bc1f6393e16043c5cffe40.jpg

“Soon mother fucker”.

• Like 5

Two great days on the water this weekend.  First day was a TON of birds but all super early.  Finished with a four-man limit in about an hour.  Day two was a bit slower at a different pond.  Birds shut off after about 45 minutes, but still a good hunt.  Ended up with 18 birds between the four of us.  

IMG-2510.jpg
IMG-2735.jpg

• Like 1

For those wondering what to do with deer backstrap, my mom and daughter made this over Christmas.

Pesto Stuffed Backstrap

Butterfly backstrap

Tenderize venison backstrap

Spread with generous amount of pesto

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese

Roll up and place in oiled baking dish, rolled side down

Bake @ 400° to medium rare ~15 minutes

Served with bacon wrapped asparagus

It went a little longer than expected so it was over the medium rare, but still very good.5b479e3246f599ec0a77172b28c85f74.jpg3c98a1356ae73af564158c7e52f4c6f7.jpg

• Like 5

Quail and deer were abundant this weekend in Jim Wells Co.   You simply cannot beat a good quail hunt, and this ranch has been very fortunate to have solid coveys over the last several years.  Back to the real world now, though   
Love a good quail hunt. Grew up quail hunting and miss it.

22 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Quail and deer were abundant this weekend in Jim Wells Co.   You simply cannot beat a good quail hunt, and this ranch has been very fortunate to have solid coveys over the last several years.  Back to the real world now, though :(  

Your place?  Or corporate setup?

2 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Your place?  Or corporate setup?

Several friends on a place there. They just had 2 guys buy their own and going to drop, though.  So a lot of lobbying going on.  I typically make a few trips for quail and a doe/mgt trip there each year. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Several friends on a place there. They just had 2 guys buy their own and going to drop, though.  So a lot of lobbying going on.  I typically make a few trips for quail and a doe/mgt trip there each year. 

Ranches are like boats.  The only thing better than owning one is having a good friend that owns one.

8 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Ranches are like boats.  The only thing better than owning one is having a good friend that owns one.

I’ve never not owned at least 1 boat since I was 15...

I’ve got several friends with family places, but sometimes there’s a spot, sometimes not.  Get plenty of hunts thru work, and that’s nice.  But I want a place to take the family when I want, have year round access, etc. The kids are getting to the age they want to start doing things outdoors etc.  This particular place is leased, so while it’s cool I get some late season invites, I’d like to start getting the family involved.  And I’m about a million shy of the perfect place I found in Freer awhile back.   Someday I hope. 

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve never not owned at least 1 boat since I was 15...

I’ve got several friends with family places, but sometimes there’s a spot, sometimes not.  Get plenty of hunts thru work, and that’s nice.  But I want a place to take the family when I want, have year round access, etc. The kids are getting to the age they want to start doing things outdoors etc.  This particular place is leased, so while it’s cool I get some late season invites, I’d like to start getting the family involved.  And I’m about a million shy of the perfect place I found in Freer awhile back.   Someday I hope. 

I hear ya.  We finally pulled the trigger in 2018 on some land.  Just a few hundred acres, and not my ideal setup, but it's a blast.  Split it with my pops.  However, I still take advantage of friends with property for activities (like the above noted duck hunt) that we can't do on our place.  But, ours is great for shooting a few deer, hunting pen-raised quail, and generally screwing around outdoors.  To your point, my kids are at the ideal age to actually enjoy that stuff.  

And, hopefully, I can go against my own advice and add a boat to the mix in the next few years.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I’ve seen a few coveys one county south but I usually don’t start chasing them until I’m through with deer season. 

I feel the same way, but when in Rome.   They've got pretty decent deer, but they aren't chasing around monsters and from my feel of it, they are doing the friends/family/kids doe/mgt hunts around this time (to get the #'s in check), so the serious deer hunting is over.  My gut feel is the 2 guns that I don't know (I know 3 of 5) shoot their deer early, and don't care about wingshooting.  That's the feel I get anyhow.

5 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

And, hopefully, I can go against my own advice and add a boat to the mix in the next few years.

Buy something nice and 90% of your typical problems go away.  I couldn't imagine not having one, and I don't get to use it nearly enough.  

• Like 1

I have 16 acres just outside of Sugar Land which is going to be great for the house we are building but is just too small and flat for any kind of real hunting or shooting. Really want a bigger piece of land with hills and a cabin somewhere northwest of here towards La Grange or Brenham or Anderson... (but not too close to College Station LOL).  

The most shooting we can do on our current place is taking shots at doves with the 410 and shooting squirrels with the 22. Anything bigger is close to being too dangerous. 

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have 16 acres just outside of Sugar Land which is going to be great for the house we are building but is just too small and flat for any kind of real hunting or shooting. Really want a bigger piece of land with hills and a cabin somewhere northwest of here towards La Grange or Brenham or Anderson... (but not too close to College Station LOL).  

The most shooting we can do on our current place is taking shots at doves with the 410 and shooting squirrels with the 22. Anything bigger is close to being too dangerous. 

Be perfect for a pistol shooting range.  <50yds in.  Build up a backstop, plates, etc.