2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

4 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

Black Bear at feeder on Colorado River in Mitchell county. South of Colorado city 20 miles.

Can't download picture

I am very familiar with that country having commuted between San Angelo and Snyder for a big part of my childhood. 

Doesn't seem like it can support a bear, so that would be pretty cool to see if/when you can get the picture downloaded.  

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I am very familiar with that country having commuted between San Angelo and Snyder for a big part of my childhood. 

Doesn't seem like it can support a bear, so that would be pretty cool to see if/when you can get the picture downloaded.  

We had several Mexican Black bears on our place just west of San Angelo in the past few years. The guy that I have ranching the property has been chasing them off with dogs every chance he gets so I think they moved a few ranches over this Fall. Not sure if we have any recent pics.

• Like 2

This old buzzard was roaming around last year

spacer.png

Then he developed a "man" problem and went into a severe decline in both weight and antler size

spacer.png

He wasn't chasing does.spacer.png

So he got had on the morning of the 31st.

spacer.png

Main frame 12 with 3 little drop kickers at the base of his right beam.

spacer.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

We had several Mexican Black bears on our place just west of San Angelo in the past few years. The guy that I have ranching the property has been chasing them off with dogs every chance he gets so I think they moved a few ranches over this Fall. Not sure if we have any recent pics.

Family of white bears recently moved down the street.  Nice enough...

tenor.gif

12 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have the photo, just can't get it to download on Surly

Was proud of my buddy’s 14 year old this morning for being patient and waiting for a buck that I wanted him to shoot.   It was this one with the tall brow tines and a slight deformity on the left side.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Turns out he had an injured hock.  Also a big scar on his torso/ribs, that had healed but skinning him out there was damage to the silver skin underneath.  Maybe he got hit by a car, or tangled in a fence.  Who knows.   Anyway his euro mount is going on my wall.  And some of the meat in my freezer.

spacer.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Was proud of my buddy’s 14 year old this morning for being patient and waiting for a buck that I wanted him to shoot.   It was this one with the tall brow tines and a slight deformity on the left side.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Turns out he had an injured hock.  Also a big scar on his torso/ribs, that had healed but skinning him out there was damage to the silver skin underneath.  Maybe he got hit by a car, or tangled in a fence.  Who knows.   Anyway his euro mount is going on my wall.  And some of the meat in my freezer.

spacer.png

You're not going to let the kid have the mount?

I’m a big Swaro fan.  For whatever reason (I know they are quality) I’ve never dug on leupold.  But they are great with warranty from my understanding, and all 3 you listed at that price point are going to be quality.  I’d add the cheaper Nightforce in that discussion. Even the cheaper one seems to be pretty damn high quality. 

• Like 2

Thinking about getting a new scope for my main smoke pole. Thoughts on Swaro Z5 vs say Leupold vx5hd or a Zeiss conquest? like to keep it around $1200 or so. Thanks in advance Gentlemen.
I bought a Zeiss Conquest v4 last year on big discount. Love it. Combined with the Larue mount on the AR, and it's really solid. Bounced all around the lease this week and it stayed zeroed. fc6170ca54bea9a108ee495eb40f548e.jpg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

I bought a Zeiss Conquest v4 last year on big discount. Love it. Combined with the Larue mount on the AR, and it's really solid. Bounced all around the lease this week and it stayed zeroed. fc6170ca54bea9a108ee495eb40f548e.jpg

Where did you find that rest?  I would use something like that. 

3 minutes ago, huge said:

Headed to my buddy's place in Rock Springs this weekend for some MLD doe management.  Hope to get an axis as well.  Certainly going to kill some brain cells.

Wish me luck!

I accomplished that last week. Still a little foggy.  Good luck on the axis and keeping some brain cells. 

I finally get to go down to South Texas and hunt on my bosses lease next week. We are taking a client and they are way below the max they can shoot for the year (both Bucks and Does). Looks like I will get to fill out all my tags this year. 

I hope it is a light travel time for our southern neighbors. Last year was a shitshow. I had a group walk right past my stand in the pre-dawn hours that I could only hear but not see. I would have not been that on edge but the week prior another person on the lease had been in a stand with his daughter when two dudes walked through carrying AR-15's. It truly is the wild west down there.

21 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Thinking about getting a new scope for my main smoke pole. Thoughts on Swaro Z5 vs say Leupold vx5hd or a Zeiss conquest? like to keep it around $1200 or so. Thanks in advance Gentlemen.

I've got this Z5 Larue'ed on to a 6.5 AR and I'm really pleased with it.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/z5-3p5-18x44-p-c20050301/z5-3p5-18x44-p-l-brx-p5006187

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I've got this Z5 Larue'ed on to a 6.5 AR and I'm really pleased with it.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/z5-3p5-18x44-p-c20050301/z5-3p5-18x44-p-l-brx-p5006187

That's the exact scope I'm looking at. How far out are u typically shooting? Our feeders are 200 yards out from the blind so its probably overkill but I like to target shoot out to 500 yards.

I run the Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BT on 3 hunting bolt guns.
Great optics and never had any issues.
Recommend 100%.
Check nycameraland or eurooptic for demos, great condition and quick shipping everytime. Paying out of state tax now sux though.
Let me know if you have any questions
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
6 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:
you post on TexasBowHunter? im Cowman on there. TBH

Yep, that's me.

i like TBH but i had a couple run-ins on some threads. at times it can be like the politics board here on Surly. everyone there is an expert outdoorsman. overall great place though.

14 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It's because you are just so damn high strung and hard to get along with.  lol

Bowhunters have a sub-sect of their group that are like fly-fishermen, cross-fitters, or vegans who go hard in the pain online about various scared-cow topics.  I've leased to a few groups of them.  I will say, overall, bowhunters are my favorite group.  When we opened the lease up, it was my first question to prospective hunters.  They tend to be management-minded, spend a great amount of time scouting and prepping the place, and usually are looking for something long term that they can grow and cultivate.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Bowhunters have a sub-sect of their group that are like fly-fishermen, cross-fitters, or vegans who go hard in the pain online about various scared-cow topics.

Oh I know. I’ve got a few friends who have been waaaaay into it for decades now.  I’ve lurked the site, was just messing with Errestaurant. 

• Like 1

Some of you may recall on TOS that we have a few abandoned uranium mines on our deer lease.  One of them was left uncapped and there was a monster rattlesnake we tried to get out of the mine but he died before we could get him out. 

Yesterday, I went by the mine to check it and found this old boy down in the hole about 40  or so feet.

spacer.png

After hooking up some ropes and a tow cable with a cobbled together loop, I finally got the loop around his antlers and pulled him up after the head separated from the back bone.

And he turned out pretty good.  Not a monster buck but certainly one with an interesting story.

spacer.png

Took him to the taxidermist this morning to get him cleaned up.  His name is now "Uri."  Trying to give a little dignity to a buck that met a lonesome end.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Caddox said:

Any recs for duck guides near Houston? Or maybe even duck clubs?

I don't have the same contacts I used to have since the move but you might look around Anahuac or even Winnie - Multiple guides operating out of there with a lot of water to chose from.

• Like 1