2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

One of the worst I've seen is a doe hung up in the fence and eaten from the back-end up.  Skelatonized from the rib cage down.  Where the coyotes could reach. 

#natureismetal

I've seen that too.  Nothing has ever grown back on the patch of ground that was underneath her hind legs. It wasn't during hunting season so we weren't out there as often.  At first I though it was a dead human because we get those too.

23 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I've seen that too.  Nothing has ever grown back on the patch of ground that was underneath her hind legs. It wasn't during hunting season so we weren't out there as often.  At first I though it was a dead human because we get those too.

Just this week someone posted a series of game cam pics at a water tank showing a mature buck - (looked like South Texas and that he was worn down from the rut) - and 2-3 coyotes in a no holds barred cage of death match.  Buck and coyotes in and out of the concrete stock tank - probably 30-45 second lapses between multiple shots.  Last shot was a couple of coyotes standing there with a massive blood stain on the side of the concrete tank.  He didn't make it.

I can't find the link anymore.  Maybe I can find on the googletron....had to have been posted multiple places.

Edited by Reagan1k

Lol I am an "every weekend" hunting or fishing guy. Doing so in an area that produces a good number of dead bodies. Finding one is my nightmare.

So on a windy spring day I took my 5YO son to the neighborhood lake a couple of years back. He looked off the end of the pier and called to me: "Daddy there's someone down in the water."

I pulled him back and looked over the deck boards to see this: 7caebd31a622a713a030b14ea7bea1bc.jpg

So immediately I am like "MOTHERFUCKER!!!" in my head. But then I look closer...

It's some kind of ganesh statue for an Indian (South Asian) howl-at-the-moon festival that was apparently going on. Lots of South Asians in the old neighborhood.

Crisis avoided. Continued on to the playground 598ce4c0f8781ad6a2e104034818188c.jpg

45 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Just this week someone posted a series of game cam pics at a water tank showing a mature buck - (looked like South Texas and that he was worn down from the rut) - and 2-3 coyotes in a no holds barred cage of death match.  Buck and coyotes in and out of the concrete stock tank - probably 30-45 second lapses between multiple shots.  Last shot was a couple of coyotes standing there with a massive blood stain on the side of the concrete tank.  He didn't make it.

I can't find the link anymore.  Maybe I can find on the googletron....had to have been posted multiple places.

Seen those images.  Happened on Rancho Buena Vista southwest of Eagle Pass in Old Mexico.

You can see the images on FB.  Pretty gruesome.

Edited by deadshank

Nature's both cruel and amazing.  

Crazy the stuff you can see that people who've never been exposed to anything more than a zoo  or their pet wouldn't believe.

On the amazing side - at the place I still hunt in the hill country, we've got a 25"-28" auodad  with only one hind leg - I'm not talking about limping on a broken leg - right hind quarter is gone up to the ball joint. 

Well north of 200lbs.......and we have him on camera jumping 4' hog panel over and over to get to a feeder.   

M'fer can jump that fence on one leg.  

I know a guy who used to have a pretty nice hunting lodge in the country just outside of Falfurrias. He was in just the right place for both fishing trips at Baffin and bird hunting trips on all of the ranches in the area. I had some great trips there about 15-20 years ago. 

I think he had to shut it all down eventually because all of the illegal alien traffic moving through at night was tearing up his property and robbing him blind. Lots of litter on the ground every morning and most of the regular customers quit coming back because their cars were getting broken into. I think he had more than one dog killed, too. 

No CR - just agreeing that the foot traffic through that area is pretty significant. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Pretty sad all those dead bodies they find on so texas ranches.
Down in Mex a few years ago I shot a buck that ran off but looked and sounded like a good hit. Pretty much shot and walked down to where he was standing and no blood. Looked around for 5-10 minutes while taljing to our ranch cowboy whom was helping me look. Finally found him laying about 10-15 yards off the sendero in some thick thick brush you coukdnt see in to. Thing is in that 15 minutes we looked around and talked just 10-15 yards away from the deer, the coyotes had eaten a large chunk from 1 of his hindquarters and into his abdomen. They body was still warm. Crazy to think he was getting eaten by coyotes a few yards from us and we didnt hear anything.
/CSB
I did shoot this guy this week in mexico . Old buck we had only night time cam pics for the last 4 years. We had been looking for him since. No one had seen him in the flesh. Post rut he showwd up on a good spot we corn and high rack hunt. As soon as I saw him I knew who he was. He had lost a lot of size in body and head gear. Been a dry dry year which didnt help. Was nice finally getting him.
d05ca9c1e8e30cfdc8d18e6d9382e56c.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:
I know a guy who used to have a pretty nice hunting lodge in the country just outside of Falfurrias. He was in just the right place for both fishing trips at Baffin and bird hunting trips on all of the ranches in the area. I had some great trips there about 15-20 years ago. 
I think he had to shut it all down eventually because all of the illegal alien traffic moving through at night was tearing up his property and robbing him blind. Lots of litter on the ground every morning and most of the regular customers quit coming back because their cars were getting broken into. I think he had more than one dog killed, too. 
No CR - just agreeing that the foot traffic through that area is pretty significant. 

We recently tore down our two story ranch house because it was constantly being used by smugglers and illegals. Now we have a nice slab where we might put a cinder block fortress or shipping container cabin.  It's not CR.  It's fucking real.
b396e261b6ab11f791087f5d94044995.jpg

Edited by Lat22

34 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

We recently tore down our two story ranch house because it was constantly being used by smugglers and illegals. Now we have a nice slab where we might put a cinder block fortress or shipping container cabin.
b396e261b6ab11f791087f5d94044995.jpg

Our hunters went with the shipping container option.  They seal up nice and are easy to outfit internally.  Even attached an internal door that houses a window-unit AC for the summer time and dug and sunk a small septic tank.  

We are near Coleman/Ballinger area and have only had a handful of break-ins.  Both times they took water and canned goods.  No harm.  No foul.  

2 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Pretty sad all those dead bodies they find on so texas ranches.
Down in Mex a few years ago I shot a buck that ran off but looked and sounded like a good hit. Pretty much shot and walked down to where he was standing and no blood. Looked around for 5-10 minutes while taljing to our ranch cowboy whom was helping me look. Finally found him laying about 10-15 yards off the sendero in some thick thick brush you coukdnt see in to. Thing is in that 15 minutes we looked around and talked just 10-15 yards away from the deer, the coyotes had eaten a large chunk from 1 of his hindquarters and into his abdomen. They body was still warm. Crazy to think he was getting eaten by coyotes a few yards from us and we didnt hear anything.
/CSB
I did shoot this guy this week in mexico emoji1166.png. Old buck we had only night time cam pics for the last 4 years. We had been looking for him since. No one had seen him in the flesh. Post rut he showwd up on a good spot we corn and high rack hunt. As soon as I saw him I knew who he was. He had lost a lot of size in body and head gear. Been a dry dry year which didnt help. Was nice finally getting him.
d05ca9c1e8e30cfdc8d18e6d9382e56c.jpg

Old man right there.  Age him from his teeth?  6+ yrs just from looking at him would be my first guess.  Nice symmetry on them horns! 

2 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Thanks.
We aged him by teeth and years wed seen him on trail cams about 8+. Teeth worn down to the jaw line.

I was about to say, I'd guess he was well over 6, but I guess a really hard rut can make a young buck look old too.  

Every year, @williemackgarza you have me going against my senses and really hunting for a place down there.  Very jelly.  

Yes mexico hunting is addicting.
Big ranches with relatively little human interaction.
Sad thing is we were notified the family elder that owns our ranch is gonna split his estate up amongst all his kids. The daughters will probably get our ranches and will most likely sell them.
So it’s bittersweet as this prolly our last year on this place. Been there nearly 10 years.
So we will be more than likely looking for a new place if anyone has some leads.

12 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Yes mexico hunting is addicting.
Big ranches with relatively little human interaction.
Sad thing is we were notified the family elder that owns our ranch is gonna split his estate up amongst all his kids. The daughters will probably get our ranches and will most likely sell them.
So it’s bittersweet as this prolly our last year on this place. Been there nearly 10 years.
So we will be more than likely looking for a new place if anyone has some leads.

Ranches being split amongst heirs is a nasty business.  It always seems to me that some of the heirs getting a piece of the ranch never appreciate the ranch itself or as much as non-owners do.   To them it's just a piece of land that can be converted to cash. History and lore mean nothing.   Of course, I know it takes money to pay taxes, provide upkeep, etc and some can't or won't do that.  I've been in your position, WMG, and it sucks. 

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Ranches being split amongst heirs is a nasty business.  It always seems to me that some of the heirs getting a piece of the ranch never appreciate the ranch itself or as much as non-owners do.   To them it's just a piece of land that can be converted to cash. History and lore mean nothing.   Of course, I know it takes money to pay taxes, provide upkeep, etc and some can't or won't do that.  I've been in your position, WMG, and it sucks. 

That's what happened to our family.  G-parents place was close to 2,500 acres at it's largest point.  In the family 100+ years.  I have pics of my great G-father hunting wolves on horseback with a pack of hounds (most immigrants raised sheep/goats, not cattle).  My g-mother told me stories she was told from HER g-mother of the origins of the "Comanche moon" and being locked in the seller.

Our remaining section is a little under 700 acres.  It's sad to drive past old fence line and gates that years prior was just another part of the property,  

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

That’s slowly happening to my g-ma-in-law and her land. Basically her husband started buying up land in plainview, Vernon, Perryton and a few others I’m forgetting. She’s slowly been splitting up parcels here and there amongst some of her other family keeping only certain farm lands for her daughter(my MiL) and her 2 grandkids(my wife and SiL).

So instead of having thousands of acres to hunt, I’ve got 300 in Vernon surrounded by wind farms.

Been slowly trying to let her know, I’d like to keep the rest of the land with us rather than splitting it up with family that doesn’t do shit for her.

21 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

So instead of having thousands of acres to hunt, I’ve got 300 in Vernon surrounded by wind farms.

Well, could always be like my wife and come to the table with 0.00 acres in the family.   They've got enough money, but that sort of thing was never big in the family I guess.  The grandmother did have a chunk a long time ago, but they bought, lived and farmed it, then sold it.  

I had a shittttty last weekend. I was in S.Tex thursday/friday. Morning thursday it rained and didn't see shit. Thursday afternoon I had a solid management 8pt mature I shot at. Well it was right at dark, couldn't find blood and the guy that took me told me to just chalk it up (I looked for over 1hr). Then went Friday morning and was put on a 7 year old 12pt that was prob 22"+ spread. I shot and hit fucking air. Depressed I went by my ranch on the way home and went to the range. 100yds didn't even hit paper. Went to 25 yds, shot again and was hitting 5" high. 

The good news is I am not suddenly a terrible shot. The bad news is I get to go every few years to shoot the big fuckers in South Texas and have never been allowed to shoot a trophy buck. The one time I do, somehow my scope gets fucked up and I miss out on it.  Pretty shitty end to the season considering what could have been. Lessons learned, sight in scope every time you move the gun. I had checked it 2 weeks prior and somehow in that time I messed it up.

Lastly, fuck that scope, I ordered a new scope this morning.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I had a shittttty last weekend. I was in S.Tex thursday/friday. Morning thursday it rained and didn't see shit. Thursday afternoon I had a solid management 8pt mature I shot at. Well it was right at dark, couldn't find blood and the guy that took me told me to just chalk it up (I looked for over 1hr). Then went Friday morning and was put on a 7 year old 12pt that was prob 22"+ spread. I shot and hit fucking air. Depressed I went by my ranch on the way home and went to the range. 100yds didn't even hit paper. Went to 25 yds, shot again and was hitting 5" high. 

The good news is I am not suddenly a terrible shot. The bad news is I get to go every few years to shoot the big fuckers in South Texas and have never been allowed to shoot a trophy buck. The one time I do, somehow my scope gets fucked up and I miss out on it.  Pretty shitty end to the season considering what could have been. Lessons learned, sight in scope every time you move the gun. I had checked it 2 weeks prior and somehow in that time I messed it up.

Save a bullet for yourself. 

Actually, that sucks.  

7 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

What kind of scope you shooting with?

I missed a doe at 67 yards this year. Hit the dirt right under where I was aiming, sooo ~4’ low? My guns are treated very delicately so there was no known drop/knock etc. She gave a small hop but didn’t look hit, and a big cloud of dust under her. Didn’t put it together that the dust likely meant clean miss until I had spent an hour canvassing every square inch for blood. After dark I dug around a bit where the dust hit and found some of the jacket.  Borrowed a gun for the hunt the next AM (wasn’t going to take a chance on wounding one) but was still pretty dejected so just drank a few beers and watched the wildlife.  Haven’t had the chance to check my zero since.   Pisses me off that I might have just made a poor shot; we’ll know once I can get to the range. The suck was compounded because I was a guest and that’s just bleh. The gun is a shooter. I checked zero earlier in season but not this trip. Sorry that happened, but better a clean miss than waiting for the birds to find you your 12 point.

ee74dc228b25f46445b6b7ac67b57edb.jpg

a7b1a41ae6fff3eff14383ded2d55174.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

What kind of scope you shooting with?

Primary arms I have had for 3 years and stayed zeroed till this.

6 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Probably the mounts. 

First thing I checked. I used blue loctite on all threads and everything is tight. I tend to agree with you though.

Edited by HOOKEM4

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Last weekend.  Sparce, weak season for me due to kid athletic travel schedules and other assorted nonsense.  Last MLD weekend...and what do I have planned.  More nonsense.  

giphy.gif

last MLD weekend?  You don't go through the end of February?  What MLDP  are you on?

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Last weekend I could have conceivably gone.  Sorry

Oh, OK.  

Priorities and what not.  I've been every weekend since Christmas and will continue through the end of February.  19 does down.  16 more to go.  It's "customer golf time now" which means I'm still doing the guiding, salting the roads, deer skinning, drink pouring, joke telling, cooking, dealing cards, caddying and what not.  

It's not a bad gig.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:04 AM, HOOKEM4 said:

Primary arms I have had for 3 years and stayed zeroed till this.

First thing I checked. I used blue loctite on all threads and everything is tight. I tend to agree with you though.

If you think its the scope not the mounts send it our way and we'll check it out for you.  If its bad, we'll get you a new one ASAP.  Send me a PM.

• Like 2