2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

That’s disconcerting. I bought several Primary Arms scopes this past year. 

What did you buy?

I’m interested in their ACSS 1-6x24 for my in-the-works 300blk. Read positive reviews of them (Outside of Krevo’s thought) but the only thing holding me back is PSA offers the Strike Eagle 1-6 for the same price AND that includes the Vortex 2” offset cantilever mount. Which is how I also picked up my strike eagle 1-8

13 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

I've got an old Simmons on a Ruger No. 1 that I've dropped in the mud a couple of times. Its a piece of shit. What are you going to do for me? Pretty sure the scope and rings cost me about $30 all in. 

I could get you about tree fiddy but thats as high as I could go.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

I've got an old Simmons on a Ruger No. 1 that I've dropped in the mud a couple of times. Its a piece of shit. What are you going to do for me? Pretty sure the scope and rings cost me about $30 all in. 

I had an old Simmons 6x18x44 on my first 22-250.  Had it for years (10+) and it worked just fine.  Just didn't have the resolution of the modern options.  Once you look through good glass, it's amazing the crap you worked with prior and tried to justify.

• Like 1

That's a wrap
Another season in the books. Overall a pretty good season. Letting the wetlands rest between hunts was key since there weren't many cold fronts pushing in new birds.

Took kids out today, like we do each year. My oldest wasn't feeling good so he slept in. The others had a good time.

Scratched out 4 this morning before having to leave to get ready for an event this afternoon.66a06670e95a4ed6698d642c2b17129a.jpg09a80470c8fc2dfc76ed8e30e084c331.jpg3da8fe1d5d45d9f17677668eae5f7a4a.jpg745f6cc3c9de9a10164b8f80fba7f202.jpg

• Like 4

Man, not the best season for us.  Only went on one dove hunting weekend.  Went deer hunting opening weekend, the boy shot a doe.  But after that, he got sick (with the primary symptom being fatigue), so we didn't get out the rest of the season.  This may be the first year in 30+ years that I didn't duck hunt once.  Sigh.

This was the first season in quite a while that I didn't sit in a duck blind.  I'm on a club southwest of Houston not far from West Columbia and we've had basically 0 ducks the last two seasons out there.  In prior years we were covered up with birds and every hunter would get a limit or close to it every time out.  I got skunked twice last season and kept waiting on a good report to come from the club before going this season and that never happened.  I'm curious to see the summary of the hunting reports for this season.  I imagine the average will be less than 1 bird per hunter/hunt. 

One of the old timers down there blamed it on the increased development of the Katy prairie.  I don't know what it is, but something has moved the birds around.

8 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I'm on a club southwest of Houston not far from West Columbia and we've had basically 0 ducks the last two seasons out there.  In prior years we were covered up with birds and every hunter would get a limit or close to it every time out.  I got skunked twice last season and kept waiting on a good report to come from the club before going this season and that never happened.  I'm curious to see the summary of the hunting reports for this season.  I imagine the average will be less than 1 bird per hunter/hunt. 

One of my wife’s uncles and his boys are on Run N Guns duck leases.   Those guys can hug a nut for all the fish they kill, but their duck leases have been solid af. They hammered them all year, even though it was down this year.  For real, fuck those guys wrt their fishing practices, but if you are looking for a solid duck club...

11 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Been tough all deer season for us. Lots of acorns. 

Tough for sure.  Should set up things nicely for the herd health in winter / spring.  No excuse for the deer not to be in good shape.  All they've had to do since October is wake up, roll over, and lap up acorns.

Doe will be fat and happy for fawn crop, and a lot of bucks will have made it through 2019 unscathed.  I can't recall so many acorns and them falling for such an extended period of time.

Three or four months of mast hitting the ground on a steady basis and not much rain to sour them.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I was at Primary Arms this afternoon picking up a couple of orders and a transfer.  Was going to launch a MULEDICK to see if @Zwylde poked his head up, but the two cops in there were already looking at me funny.

Lol.  I'm not in the storefront but I'm sure I would hear about "some crazy ass mofo yelling MULEDICK in the store today"

• Like 1

I’ve hunted the King Ranch several times, what an absolutely amazing place.  And I’m sure many here know it, but if you are looking for a challenging hunt, hunt a Nilgai.  Those fuckers have a sixth sense or something, far and away the spookiest critters I’ve ever hunted.  Great eats too. Super jelly over here. 

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve hunted the King Ranch several times, what an absolutely amazing place.  And I’m sure many here know it, but if you are looking for a challenging hunt, hunt a Nilgai.  Those fuckers have a sixth sense or something, far and away the spookiest critters I’ve ever hunted.  Great eats too. Super jelly over here. 

He said he managed to get a shot right before she looked at him.  Generally once they look at you, you have half a second before they split.  There’s one on my buddy’s place on the Rio Grande out by Palmito Hill that we’ve seen a couple of times. Never stops.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in entirety, just half of it as it heads in or out of the brush.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

19 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

He said he managed to get a shot right before she looked at him.  Generally once they look at you, you have half a second before they split.  There’s one on my buddy’s place on the Rio Grande out by Palmito Hill that we’ve seen a couple of times. Never stops.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in entirety, just half of it as it heads in or out of the brush.

Yep, if they see you it’s game over, in my experience.  Not inquisitive at all, just nope nope nope as they disappear. And if you do get a shot on them, better make it count.  Their skin closes up really well and blood trails are iffy.   Always thought it was cool that those big ass animals would crawl under fences instead of over. Such great tamales. 

We had a cow on our place about 10 years ago.  The first time I saw her standing down a sendero, I thought it was the biggest deer I'd ever seen.  Then she wagged her long ass tail and was gone.  Saw her a couple more times but that was it. 

On 2/16/2020 at 8:31 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My older brother shot this nilgai cow down at King Ranch yesterday.  Hopefully I get some of the processed proceeds.

spacer.png

unless your brother hates you I'd think there would be enough to go around.

Mmmmmmmmm

7 minutes ago, huge said:

unless your brother hates you I'd think there would be enough to go around.

Mmmmmmmmm

There is.  His wife refuses to eat venison or any non-fish wild game.  So he'll give some to his son, some to me, and then eat some himself.  Usually he'll grill a bunch of stuff on Sunday and eat it for lunch at work during the week.  I'm glad my family likes wild game.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:50 PM, fattyflattie said:

Not called the "grey ghost" for nothing.  They are quite possibly the best tasting game around.  

I was wondering if any bow hunters here could opine on the merits/pitfalls of using this thing while hunting:

Would not use. You only need 1 arrow most of the time. This is technology that provides a solution where no problem exists.

That being said, you have to hand it to those Euros. Great engineering. Sounds quiet, looks smooth.

4 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Would not use. You only need 1 arrow most of the time. This is technology that provides a solution where no problem exists.

That being said, you have to hand it to those Euros. Great engineering. Sounds quiet, looks smooth.

No kidding.  Next he'll make a Caddyshack-automatic putter.  As easily as he pulled that back, wonder what's the draw weight?  20lbs?  Giving him a range, of 15yds?  lol.  Just get a crossbow and be done with it.