2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Noogman

7 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

How long was it buried? Got any pics how it looked the day you buried it?

It got buried on January 6, so almost 3 months.  My buddy said he didn’t prep at all, just buried it up to the horns in his fenced backyard and covered around it with rocks so no critters would get it.  Post 709 was what it looked like just killed.  

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 3/29/2020 at 5:32 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My euro mount got dug up out of the dirt today.  Ready for the peroxide treatment, if any can be found.  This was from that buck with the gimp leg, that my buddy’s son shot for me.  I saved the busted leg too.  

spacer.png

Great rack for a euro mount. Any funky looking ones like that look better on a skull than a set of shoulders, imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The Governor specifically exempted hunting and fishing from his "Shelter in Place Order" yesterday -- so let's get to it!

And since gun stores are essential businesses, you can swing buy one and panic buy a new weapon and some ammo before you head to your hunting spot. God Bless Texas!

Had to share this, for anyone who has been out to my place off Fitzhugh the last 20 years, a lady did a portrait of my ass.  DonQuixote.  He’s living with my neighbors and quite the celebrity now.  That’s the rescue donkey in my avatar.

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been doing a lot of researching the best feeders/blinds etc.   I found myself a spot on a lease, finally, and am pretty much starting from scratch.  Unfortunately, the guys that left both left to personal places, and took their kit to the new place, so no cheap deals on existing equipment. Seems the trend is going to stand and fill, or at least much shorter feeders, and away from tripods/barrels.   I'm going to start with a new blind (and keep my current one at parents place) but have been going back and forth on size.   I'll have some of the kids and wife at times now, so trying to nail down final dims, and will start the build.  With WTI at $18, think I'm going to stick with a home jobber and spend on good windows and door, and potentially move up to something high end in a few years.  If I have time, I'll build a steel platform, but may go wood legs this year, and have platform next.  Thinking 10'.     Have to go thru my old play truck at the folks' house and get some new tires/batt/etc and get it running.  Lots to do and the time is flying.   Oh yeah, I am going to do a cellular camera.  I've checked the reviews over and over, but trust Surly heathens more.  Yall have any recs?  Open to any and all suggestions/lessons learned/etc. 

Been hunting on invites for years, and somewhat steadily.  But with kids starting to gain interest, it was time to  get a place.  6 guns, and I know 5 of them well/family friends type.  Should be a good experience.  

• Like 4

On 4/1/2020 at 10:51 PM, cabowabo said:

And since gun stores are essential businesses, you can swing buy one and panic buy a new weapon and some ammo before you head to your hunting spot. God Bless Texas!

And Collectors Firearms new gigantic location opens tomorrow!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 3:42 PM, fattyflattie said:

So I've been doing a lot of researching the best feeders/blinds etc.   I found myself a spot on a lease, finally, and am pretty much starting from scratch.  Unfortunately, the guys that left both left to personal places, and took their kit to the new place, so no cheap deals on existing equipment. Seems the trend is going to stand and fill, or at least much shorter feeders, and away from tripods/barrels.   I'm going to start with a new blind (and keep my current one at parents place) but have been going back and forth on size.   I'll have some of the kids and wife at times now, so trying to nail down final dims, and will start the build.  With WTI at $18, think I'm going to stick with a home jobber and spend on good windows and door, and potentially move up to something high end in a few years.  If I have time, I'll build a steel platform, but may go wood legs this year, and have platform next.  Thinking 10'.     Have to go thru my old play truck at the folks' house and get some new tires/batt/etc and get it running.  Lots to do and the time is flying.   Oh yeah, I am going to do a cellular camera.  I've checked the reviews over and over, but trust Surly heathens more.  Yall have any recs?  Open to any and all suggestions/lessons learned/etc. 

Been hunting on invites for years, and somewhat steadily.  But with kids starting to gain interest, it was time to  get a place.  6 guns, and I know 5 of them well/family friends type.  Should be a good experience.  

I've tried Spypoint and Cuddeback and  Cuddeback is by far the superior product, at least with respect to the cell service at my lease.  The Spypoints never transmitted pics for more than a couple weeks and the Cudde system produced picks for us for 6 months straight last season with very minimal issues.  In my opinion, there is a tremendous advantage to Cudde's "Hub" system...it's quite possible there's something else now  that competes with Cudde, as I haven't looked in a year or so.  

As for blinds, I hunt out of 4X8 blinds and they are OK for myself, the wife (once or twice per year) and 2 kids.  But my kids are still young.  I'm going to make our next 2 blinds larger, probably 6X8 or maybe even 6X10.  Definitely insulate the shit out of those things if you are hunting with kids.  I think we have 1.5 inches of insulation, maybe 2?  And it makes a big difference with respect to the amount of sound your kids can make without scaring deer.  Also, I can the blind nice and toasty quick with a Mr. Buddy heater, on the rare occasions we need that.

Congrats on the lease!

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

We picked up 2 steel blinds off CL when a group was tossed off their lease. Both well made, in good shape and we got them for next to nothing. They are 6X8 and we haven’t added insulation yet. Only thing I don’t like about them is the window height. Too low.

We also have a Redneck Blind on a 10’ tower. Nice blind with a little insulation and easily fits 2. We are looking at another version of theirs that fits 3 and they have added more insulation and some bells and whistles.

4 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We picked up 2 steel blinds off CL when a group was tossed off their lease. Both well made, in good shape and we got them for next to nothing. They are 6X8 and we haven’t added insulation yet. Only thing I don’t like about them is the window height. Too low.

We also have a Redneck Blind on a 10’ tower. Nice blind with a little insulation and easily fits 2. We are looking at another version of theirs that fits 3 and they have added more insulation and some bells and whistles.

Nice find.  How are you moving them?  What method?

12 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We took a couple of utility trailers out north of Decatur to get them. It was tricky as one blind we had to lay down on its side to transport. The other we separated.

We also got a 1000 lb feeder and metal picnic table.

Gotcha - always looking for ways to build a better mousetrap.  As blinds get larger and heavier, moving them around becomes a PITA 

11 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We took a couple of utility trailers out north of Decatur to get them. It was tricky as one blind we had to lay down on its side to transport. The other we separated.

We also got a 1000 lb feeder and metal picnic table.

That's a good haul.  Craigslist was littered with some good deals right after the season, but I wasn't 100% confirmed yet, so I held off.  Should have bought.  Passed on a really nice glass blind for about %33 of what they go for new.  Guy also had some really nice feeders, but can't remember the specifics now.  

@3shot Thank you.  That's the info I've been looking for.  Only guy on there who regularly hunts with his small kid has a big blind, and wishes his blind was bigger.  I think he's moving to a 6'x8'.  The others have teenage kids etc. that can either hunt by themselves or are better situated to be quiet.      We laid it all out of the driveway the other day, anything from a 4'x6' to a 6'x8'.   Thinking big may be the answer.  I've seen the "hub" ability on the Cudde; don't think I could fully utilize it, but was really cool how they link together and follow one plan.  

15 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We built one we call our hotel blind. It was intended to fit 2-3 people.

Add working while drinking and it easily fits 5-6 with chairs, is fully carpeted and insulated and almost had solar AC.

Just a reminder folks to drink responsibly.

Sounds like yall nailed it, tbh.

On 4/17/2020 at 3:42 PM, fattyflattie said:

Years ago, I built two blinds using masonry scaffolding as the base.  I got some used scaffolding pretty cheap from a sub that was downsizing.  5' x 7' was the dimensions of the blind.  Easily fit two adults.  Built the walls at home, stacked them flat on a trailer with the scaffolding, then erected it and tied it all together with one other guy at my lease.  Did the roof framing, decking and down corrugated tin on site.  Pretty easy and pretty cheap and lasted for several years.  

56 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Sounds like yall nailed it, tbh.

Live and learn I guess. My group are all near 60 now. We have been building and rebuilding these things for 40 years and finally decided to do it right and with materials that will last. We have 7 on our property now and I don't think we will have to rebuild again while I'm around. We also have the cell phone booster on a 40 ft tower so we can get Surlyhorns.com.

• Like 1

As to feeder recommendations, I highly recommend Greengo feeders.  A buddy of mine from high school makes them and they kick ass.  I think we now have five of them running on the ranch and haven't had any issues.  They are sturdy enough that we don't even have fences up, and we run cattle.  

On a side note, the wife informed me that we are going to keep chickens at the house.  Since fur prices went in the toilet, I haven't trapped in a while so the coons, foxes, and other furry critters are running wild.  I was thinking about running a trapline this winter.  Does y'all know if there is still anyone out there that buys furs?

Edited by kegman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kegman said:

As to feeder recommendations, I highly recommend Greengo feeders.  A buddy of mine from high school makes them and they kick ass.  I think we now have five of them running on the ranch and haven't had any issues.  They are sturdy enough that we don't even have fences up, and we run cattle.  

On a side note, the wife informed me that we are going to keep chickens at the house.  Since fur prices went in the toilet, I haven't trapped in a while so the coons, foxes, and other furry critters are running wild.  I was thinking about running a trapline this winter.  Does y'all know if there is still anyone out there that buys furs?

Last time I was out in the hill country I noticed fliers announcing the next time the "fur guy" would be in town buying.  

On 2/26/2020 at 4:02 PM, BabaYaga said:

OK, who here has a secret monkey g-friend!!!!

Herpes riddle monkeys

How soon until this becomes commonplace!

monkey.jpg?itok=qtOKJ7YO

First day I hunted our ranch in Frio County south Texas I was a kid.  1991.  Saw a Japanese snow monkey my first hunt on the place.  It was in the morning around 9.  Couldn’t believe my eyes.  A bunch had escaped from a place in Dilley that housed them.  My best friend saw one the same day that early afternoon at the complete opposite end of the ranch — had to be ten miles away.  He got it on video.  Never saw them again. Had to be two different ones.  

Anyway.  I’ve been at the ranch quarantining.  Doing a bunch of turkey hunting.  It is so easy here.  We have a lot of turkey because we have a creek running through the place.  They love the creek and tall live oaks on the creek.  No challenge.  Just go out with a locator call and use it.  Once they call back set up under a tree and put a decoy 30 yards away.  Use the regular call. Smoke them when they come in.  This is 100 percent success. No skill at all required. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 12:19 AM, Alex Karev said:

We build the Octagon style blinds that are 8ft wide with walk in storm doors and windows. Complete with office chairs and heaters.

6ft, 8ft, and 12ft high stands with 4' x 4' landings with safety rails.

I don’t like huge blinds.  A 4x6 is ideal to me.  Much bigger and it is too hard to hunt single.  But a 4x6 is plenty big for two big guys.  Or one and a couple kids.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don’t like huge blinds.  A 4x6 is ideal to me.  Much bigger and it is too hard to hunt single.  But a 4x6 is plenty big for two big guys.  Or one and a couple kids.  

Huge blinds are a PITA to move as well.  

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I'm kind of the same way, but not certain I can get the crew sorted in something 4'.  And as of now, they (kids) are all super excited.  Let's see if that holds when it gets hot, or cold, or whatever.  

First day I hunted our ranch in Frio County south Texas I was a kid.  1991.  Saw a Japanese snow monkey my first hunt on the place.  It was in the morning around 9.  Couldn’t believe my eyes.  A bunch had escaped from a place in Dilley that housed them.  My best friend saw one the same day that early afternoon at the complete opposite end of the ranch — had to be ten miles away.  He got it on video.  Never saw them again. Had to be two different ones.  

Anyway.  I’ve been at the ranch quarantining.  Doing a bunch of turkey hunting.  It is so easy here.  We have a lot of turkey because we have a creek running through the place.  They love the creek and tall live oaks on the creek.  No challenge.  Just go out with a locator call and use it.  Once they call back set up under a tree and put a decoy 30 yards away.  Use the regular call. Smoke them when they come in.  This is 100 percent success. No skill at all required. 

Nolan, is that you? #TicketStock
  • Like 2

Ours are permanent and they are actually 6' wide not 8', to accommodate the larger swivel chairs and some big guys.

Could not go back and correct typo after I noticed the error.

My family has had dozens of stands over the past 60+ years and this is what works best for us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to the Ranch for Spring Turkey season tomorrow. Hope to call up a couple longbeards this week. Weather should be perfect.

My neighbor is bringing in his helicopter to thin out our hogs later in the week.

Will be nice to get out of town for a week. 

• Like 2

Finally figured out how to post pictures so I’ll put a couple up. I have a Boykin spaniel that I get to hunt over. Great little dogs and a lot of fun. Another forum member had a dog from the same litter as well. Ignore the double t; buddies truck.a670ad777ba57e56e14d630a2c8f5119.jpg
142fb6bf65bb7112f7ae1a393ab6b5b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Anyone that’s made themselves hog pipes, how many and what size holes did you drill into it?

And how often did you have to refill the pipe?

Built one today and plan to drill holes this week before I drive out and stake it.

Also need to pick up a solar green led light to put near it.

10 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Anyone that’s made themselves hog pipes, how many and what size holes did you drill into it?

Built one today and plan to drill holes this week before I drive out and stake it.

Made them years back.  Filled with fermented corn and sugar (used Kool-Aid).  Holes were dime sized.  We cemented a pole into the ground and hung the pipe, similar to a tether-ball set-up you see at playgrounds.  We used a creosote cross-tie to tether to.  Added bonus as a scratching pole for the hogs.  Thing was ALWAYS covered in hair.  Positioned far back, away from the deer feeders in as remote a part of the ranch as we can find.   

Yeah have a fence post to tether to with a chain, was gonna throw the whole thing in KresoD along with a 1ft section of a railroad tie I have.

Want to put the hog pipe up front in the most open part of my hunting land. Wanna put my deer feeders up in the middle and back towards the watering holes.

With dime sized holes how quickly did the hogs work through the feed? Meaning how often did you have to refill?

12 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

I pretty much used this to make mine.  https://www.texasoutdoorrepublic.com/article/how-to-build-a-pig-pipe/

I didn't put in the false bottom on mine, but that may be effective.  As far as holes, I wouldn't drill any more than three so they'll have to work to get the corn out.  Also, I wouldn't put any Kool-Aid or other crap in with the corn as that will just gum up everything inside the pipe and make a mess. 

I have not found a good way to keep the chain from getting bound up around a T-post.  The hogs have also broken off the eye bolt off mine a couple of times.  Last time, I double bolted it with red loctite and its already loose again.  They are strong bastards.  

It's fun little project to mess with, but nothing beats a timed feeder with plain ole corn in it.  

Thanks, I was thinking about how to sour up the smell without humming it up. Was thinking about what to put inside the tube that would rattle and give off sounds of being full. Thought about soaking wooden balls/chips in kresoD and a sweet/sour fermented mash...

Don’t think I’ll do a false bottom, already go the pipe made just no holes drilled yet.

And yeah the binding part has me trying to figure out a solution... besides putting a big ring around the stake in hopes of slowing it down.

This is really to keep the hogs up front so we can roll in and “quickly” thin them out over the summer early fall and so the deer can access the feeders elsewhere

Soak the corn in Diesel. Also save your old cooking oils from Turkey frying.  Nothing else will eat or disturb your corn either. 

If you need a big hole in the ground for a some reason... Dig a hole with post hole diggers and fill with corn and diesel. The hogs will root it out and you can then build a cellar, pool, bomb shelter, etc. Just keep adding the corn in little holes untill you reach desired depth and circumference. 

4 minutes ago, Alex Karev said:

Soak the corn in Diesel. Also save your old cooking oils from Turkey frying.  Nothing else will eat or disturb your corn either. 

If you need a big hole in the ground for a some reason... Dig a hole with post hole diggers and fill with corn and diesel. The hogs will root it out and you can then build a cellar, pool, bomb shelter, etc. Just keep adding the corn in little holes untill you reach desired depth and circumference. 

This is good advice also.  Just a big ass hole layered with pre-soaked corn.  They're 'rooters' by nature, so this is right up their alley.  Then just refill or keep refilling the hole with more corn and dirt.  Lots of options.  

• 3 weeks later...
Huge blinds are a PITA to move as well.  

So, did some of this this weekend. Big one was a bitch but got 3 moved in 4 hours, all over the ranch. Think I’ve settled on 5-ish by 8. Use the extra for a porch. Still haven’t cut wood yet, but feels right for what I’m trying to accomplish. RV door and legit windows priority #1.

c212a67f9f924c2e5db12516dd743277.jpg

3aa571ffec8f88eb3b3b9b8df566e53b.jpg

Obv if the backhoe didn’t have the shortest forks ever made, it would have gone easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

First glance I thought the bottom pic had a window unit, was about to be really impressed.

No, but you know the owner of the top (large) one.  That thing has gadgetry all over it, and inside it.  12v powered for lights, fans, hog lights on outside for feeder.   But his little one is down there every time, and have to make them comfortable I guess.  I'm talking tricked out on the inside.  He took all the fancy windows off during the move, which was probably the right idea. 

Also, you wouldn't believe the condition of paw paws blind.  He wouldn't have tolerated that work from us, even as field engineers.  Ridiculed, and likely would have pushed it over and made us start from scratch type.  He actually took those pics, the rest of us were working and maybe drinking beer.   

Very wet, all the tanks are full, and the johnson grass is about 4' tall.